Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Have you lost lots of weight?

Jump to newest

By *hromosexuals OP   Couple
over a year ago

Near Abercynon

I (the Mr) really need to lose a lot of weight. I've probably always needed to but I've put it off all my life, I've always thought "I'll sort that one day". I've kidded myself that it's ok; I'm a big guy, I have a big build... I can carry it off, but it's time.

I've been lucky with my health so far, but I'm gambling with it.

I really want to hear from people who have lost a lot of weight. Like me, I guess you have tried and failed in the past, so what was different this time? How did you keep motivated? How did you resist falling back in to bad habits? I suppose really I want some reassurance that it can be done.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Pulls up a chair, as ideally, i should really be about a stone lighter- or the same weight but how i used to be in the muscle/fat ratio before i turned in to a lockdown lazy bastard!

See, I turned up and sat down right away- can someone kick it from under me and boot me in the direction of the gym please?

over a year ago

Near Abercynon

I can lose a stone fairly easily... unfortunately I need to lose more than that by some way. I think that's sometimes why I get disheartened with it. I know I need to focus on changing my lifestyle rather than "dieting".

I also need to ditch the chair

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I can lose a stone fairly easily... unfortunately I need to lose more than that by some way. I think that's sometimes why I get disheartened with it. I know I need to focus on changing my lifestyle rather than "dieting".

I also need to ditch the chair "

My tip - just lose the stone. Then 'live' again for a week or so.

.... then just lose one stone....

Only ever diet for one day. Or one hour if that's all you can manage. When the hour is up you might think "fuck it I'll diet for another hour".

Genuine good luck wishes from me. Xx

over a year ago

Near Abercynon

""fuck it I'll diet for another hour".

Genuine good luck wishes from me. Xx"

That's good advice, similar to dealing with an addiction I suppose. I've got a mate who is an alcoholic and he hasn't d*unk a drop for about 18 years now, he always just says he's "not drinking today"

By *ornycougaWoman
over a year ago

Wherever I lay my hat

I lost 3 stone (almost a third of my body weight) back in early 2012 as a new years Resolution. Did dry January, started running, reduced portion sizes and stopped eating cake, biscuits and bread. It worked for me because it was a lifestyle change not a 'fad' diet.

over a year ago

I lost almost 5 stone about 5 years ago. I put 3 back on when I was pregnant and then another stone after she was born. I lost 3 stone in the past 12 months.

It's pretty simple, eat less and move more is what I did both times to lose the weight. I've not done anything major, I try to get in at least 10,000 steps a day and keep my calories to around 1500. You can use online calculators to see where you should aim. MyFitnessPal to track food if you're unsure of calories in the food you eat. I've been doing over 25,000 steps the last few months as my job is far away and I'm on my feet, so that helps.

Although it is as simple as eating less and moving more, it's very difficult to stay in that mindset and find the motivation to get physical and resist the urge to eat too much food. My daughter is 4 now and I've only in the past 12 months found the right mindset to lose weight. Before then, it wasn't easy and I tried and failed several times.

I'd recommend not restricting yourself too much, still allowing yourself a treat and eat the food you like, just be more sensible about it. Don't weigh too often, maybe once a month. Measure yourself if you can as that will show more. Progress takes time, so don't expect results quickly and don't lose hope if you can't see changes after such little time. I've only recently began to notice a big change.

I think the main key to success is a positive mindset! If you're miserable you'll more than likely fail, so try and remind yourself it's a journey, slow progress is better than no progress and remember it will be shitty at times but you're strong enough to do it. I use food as comfort... so it's not easy some days. Maybe look into finding an exercise that you enjoy. Maybe running, swimming, a sport like football etc or the gym even.

Good luck! And sorry this isn't amazing advice but it's the best I've got.

over a year ago

It’s so refreshing to read people actually doing the right thing rather than looking for quick fixes or fad diets!

over a year ago

Near Abercynon

"I lost 3 stone (almost a third of my body weight) back in early 2012 as a new years Resolution. Did dry January, started running, reduced portion sizes and stopped eating cake, biscuits and bread. It worked for me because it was a lifestyle change not a 'fad' diet. "

I think cutting out alcohol will actually make a big difference to me. That's where I will concentrate I think.

I think ditching the bathroom scales and just concentrating on my lifestyle might help

over a year ago

"I lost 3 stone (almost a third of my body weight) back in early 2012 as a new years Resolution. Did dry January, started running, reduced portion sizes and stopped eating cake, biscuits and bread. It worked for me because it was a lifestyle change not a 'fad' diet.

I think cutting out alcohol will actually make a big difference to me. That's where I will concentrate I think.

I think ditching the bathroom scales and just concentrating on my lifestyle might help

"

Yes it will definitely make a huge difference. And ditch the scales if they get you down. It's good to focus on how you feel within yourself.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"I lost almost 5 stone about 5 years ago. I put 3 back on when I was pregnant and then another stone after she was born. I lost 3 stone in the past 12 months.

It's pretty simple, eat less and move more is what I did both times to lose the weight. I've not done anything major, I try to get in at least 10,000 steps a day and keep my calories to around 1500. You can use online calculators to see where you should aim. MyFitnessPal to track food if you're unsure of calories in the food you eat. I've been doing over 25,000 steps the last few months as my job is far away and I'm on my feet, so that helps.

Although it is as simple as eating less and moving more, it's very difficult to stay in that mindset and find the motivation to get physical and resist the urge to eat too much food. My daughter is 4 now and I've only in the past 12 months found the right mindset to lose weight. Before then, it wasn't easy and I tried and failed several times.

I'd recommend not restricting yourself too much, still allowing yourself a treat and eat the food you like, just be more sensible about it. Don't weigh too often, maybe once a month. Measure yourself if you can as that will show more. Progress takes time, so don't expect results quickly and don't lose hope if you can't see changes after such little time. I've only recently began to notice a big change.

I think the main key to success is a positive mindset! If you're miserable you'll more than likely fail, so try and remind yourself it's a journey, slow progress is better than no progress and remember it will be shitty at times but you're strong enough to do it. I use food as comfort... so it's not easy some days. Maybe look into finding an exercise that you enjoy. Maybe running, swimming, a sport like football etc or the gym even.

Good luck! And sorry this isn't amazing advice but it's the best I've got. "

something must be working, as you always look stunning

over a year ago

"I lost almost 5 stone about 5 years ago. I put 3 back on when I was pregnant and then another stone after she was born. I lost 3 stone in the past 12 months.

Good luck! And sorry this isn't amazing advice but it's the best I've got.

something must be working, as you always look stunning "

Thank you Velvey.

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

OP I actually have the opposite problem (which is a problem believe me) but I think the solutions are the same. I have found you just need to be consistent in doing exercise and eating better. You just need to make it a habit and the results will happen naturally (but it will take time)

Exercise doesn’t need to be full on sweat mode - walking is a great way to spend the calories. Eating is just about pacing yourself.

Over a year it doesn’t matter if you have a bad day (or even a bad week) but just put it behind you and carry on with the habit. If you can get your energy in to be slightly less than your energy out then over a year you will lose weight. The opposite also applies.

By *kiguy1234Man
over a year ago

Newport

I lost 2.5 stone two years ago and kept it off... tips for weight loss that I stuck to..

1 Don't drink Calories

2 less fuel in

3 Don't eat past 7pm

Worked for me !!

over a year ago

I've lost nearly 2 stone in the past few months. I have been stressed but realised it's mainly due to not snacking, only been having my main meals lately.

By *r_North-EastMan
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I lost 4-5 stone years ago from dieting alone but I didn’t look too great with my top off. Since then I joined the gym and tried to put on muscle and ended up getting fatter at the same time but feel a lot better than I did at my lightest.

By *adyinred696969Couple
over a year ago

Brecon

I lost around 4 and a half stone in a year or so...diagnosed with type2 diabetes in Nov 21.

I cut carbs, especially anything with white flour in it (bread, pasta), and the other starchy carbs like potatoes and rice.

I read food labels, stay away from processed foods (usually have lots of sugar and/or salt), and cut my portion sizes down slowly.

I still allow myself an occasional take-away or Sunday roast, but I'm careful without being too strict on myself.

over a year ago

I can only say what I did, different things work for different body chemistries etc.

A bit like with alcoholics that were mentioned, it's good to stick to places you can control your food. I didn't eat out as much or go to eat at other's houses whilst I was watching my intake. Wfh helped massively.

If I knew that I had to for a birthday etc I'd adjust a little before and after to even it all out. You need a long-term way of factoring in treats and Christmas and events. To get to the point where a treat is enjoyed at the time and won't derail you back to overindulging.

I avoid processed things if I can and don’t buy anything loaded with chemicals. I don't cut out anything as far as natural sugar or fat goes, if it's natural your body can digest it. If it's manmade, your body will struggle to process it and most likely parcel it up in a fat cell and stash it somewhere, adding to your weight. I just control the amounts and frequency of fats, sugar, carbs, salt. If I want something sweet or savoury, then that's what I want/need, and that's okay. But I'll just have 1 not 3. Or have a slim slice not a wider one. And I'll eat more slowly. Not whilst doing other things. Taste it, enjoy it, appreciate it. Let your brain know you've had it.

I'll remember how proud I was the last time I dropped a pound and how worth it it is and resist reaching for another too soon. I can have another later.

It's well known now that fads don't work long-term. You need to find a new normal that you can live with within the context of your life as a whole. The hours you work, your sleep pattern, the commitments you have... these all need factored in to what is sustainable.

I would do well and then get 'stuck' at a weight for what seemed like FOREVER and those were my toughest times. Making efforts that seemed to not pay off was frustrating and discouraging. I found that my metabolism swayed and then would kick back in and weight would drop again eventually. I just learned to keep the routine going regardless.

Exercise was tough to factor in. Between work, kids, extracurricular things, housework, etc. Who has time or energy? Going to the gym was a no logistically. So I work out at home. 10mins is more than zero. It all counts. I do short sets throughout the day wherever, whenever. So long as I get done what I need to by day's end then I'm happy, it all counts and all helps.

Good luck

over a year ago

Near Abercynon

" And sorry this isn't amazing advice but it's the best I've got. "

It's great advice!

I use food and alcohol in bad ways, if I'm feeling low I over indulge, if I'm feeling good I over indulge too.

I think I'll start simply; each time I fancy a beer I'll stick my headphones on and go for a walk

over a year ago

Oh, and intermittent fasting.

That was my key. Can't leave that out.

I'd not eat before 12noon, I'd have a small brunch like yoghurt with whatever. A snack around 2pm maybe. A good decent dinner at 4/5pm and nothing at all to eat after 7pm.

That 7pm to 12noon was tough to start but after a week or two it felt so so great to just rest my stomach tbh.

over a year ago

I have put weight back on so running again through January onwards,all runners how many miles do you cover a week ?

over a year ago

Worked for Amazon for two months on night's. Appetite dwindled because of timings and pretty much stopped drinking beer.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I lost 12 and 1/2 stone 7 years ago. But I was living on very few calories which isn't really ideal. It took exactly 2 years.

I've gained quite a lot this passed year si I'm back on a diet as of today.

What motivated me was I weighed 22 and1/2 stone. It was a really hot summers day and I was wearing a dress that looked like a tent and could hardly move. I sat for the whole day crying my eyes out not wanting to be like that anymore.

I will say one thing you can only lose weight if your really motivated. It won't succeed if you go into it half heartedly. Good luck

over a year ago

"I lost 12 and 1/2 stone 7 years ago. But I was living on very few calories which isn't really ideal. It took exactly 2 years.

I've gained quite a lot this passed year si I'm back on a diet as of today.

What motivated me was I weighed 22 and1/2 stone. It was a really hot summers day and I was wearing a dress that looked like a tent and could hardly move. I sat for the whole day crying my eyes out not wanting to be like that anymore.

I will say one thing you can only lose weight if your really motivated. It won't succeed if you go into it half heartedly. Good luck"

That is an amazing achievement

You are totally spot on about being motivated.

By *rtyIanMan
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

Four years ago I lost about four stone, the biggest win for me was cutting out the booze

It helps I’m a nutritionist and chef, my diet in the main is good but the booze leads to bad food choices

I have helped others lose weight in the past as well

It really is lifestyle that has to change

And you can not out run, swim or gym a shit diet and bad lifestyle

By *ittlebirdWoman
over a year ago

The Big Smoke

I lost over 7 stone about 12 years ago OP and have never put it on again. It was a complete change of lifestyle for me. I ditched being miserable and found my inner happiness again. That combined with actually eating more - of the right stuff, and drinking a lot less has helped. As has being active all the time.

I just want to tone my core up now as the darling menopause has given me a belly

But you know. I feel so much better for it.

Oh and I still need to kick the cigs but I’m down to less than 5 a day so I see it as all positive.

Just one step at a time and you’ll get there

By *erces LetiferMan
over a year ago

Somewhere off the edge of the map... 'ere there be monsters

Man I'm feeling this, OP. I've been saying to myself "must sort out my health soon..." probably for about the last seven or eight years!

Then in 2020 I was like "okay, but for real this time"... and here we are in 2023. Even bought a rowing maching middle of last year, used it for about a month, then the cats decided the sports mat was their new litter tray and pissed all over it. Folded it up and tucked it in the corner to clean the room and replace the sports mat, lo and behold the rower has been gathering dust since...

I've joined gyms several times over the years... gone for a couple of months then just slowly packed it in. Still paid for membership many more months after that (sound familiar, anyone?).

I seem to be much better at giving advice than following it for myself, but here goes...

You say you need to lose a lot of weight. This is a big goal, and if you focus on the finish line it'll seem impossible. Think about climbing a mountain. Standing at basecamp and looking all the way up at the summit. Wow, that's a long way! I'll never make it!! Well, no. But your first goal should be outpost 1 which is only a few miles up. Now that IS doable. This should be your mindset with your weight loss, I think. Don't worry about trying to lose lots and lots of weight, just focus on losing a little bit of weight. And then once you're there, another little bit, and so on. This is actually a healthier and more sustainable way of weight loss anyway. Once you've made it to outpost 1, 2 is now within reach, and before you know it you'll be looking back down to basecamp and realise all the progress you've made!

Another thing I always tell myself and (try) to impliment is getting the little things down first, the fundamentals. Which are, in order;

- sleep

- nutrition

- exercise

If you can, try and get into a steady sleep routine, where you go to bed at the same time every night, about an hour before you want to be asleep and read a book or something for an hour, with soft/warm lighting, no bright phone/tablet/laptop screens etc. Then sleep for a good eight hours before getting up for the day, again at around the same time every morning.

With nutrition I've found, if you're anything like me and enjoy naughty foods (curse you, crisps, curse you!!), trying to quit cold turkey and eat salad instead is disastrous. Better to just try and reduce portion sizes, swap out the naughty snacks for something better and more filling. Make a deal with yourself that if you're good throughout the week, you can indulge at the weekend, etc. Outright banning certain foods forever is just going to make you crave them all the more intensely, I've found.

With exercise, again you can start small with some basics. Make it a habit to go for a brisk walk everyday. Even if its 30 minutes. That's 15 minutes walk from the front door, and then 15 minutes back. Stick on your favourite album or playlist, or podcast, or audio book. Do that for a week. Then next week go for a 40 minute walk, etc, etc.

Just start small, make the basic fundamental stuff into habits and then build upon it from there. And getting to that next outpost up that mountain will become easier with each stage.

Now, if only I could get myself to do any of that...

By * 452Man
over a year ago

Hillingdon

Walk for stamina. Then get couch to 5k and a good sweat suit.

Don’t kill your self and the weight will go

over a year ago

Near Abercynon

Thanks for all the replies everyone, a lot of sense being spoken there and I'll try to take it all on board.

The main change I've made today is booze; we've been to a family gathering today and usually by now I'd be a few beers and a bottle of red wine in, but I've opted for some fizzy water stuff instead and it's fine

over a year ago

I was nearly 17 stone at my heaviest and I'm now round about the 13st all the time.

For me watching my macros was a huge help. Tracking carbs, fats and protein. Especially getting more protein into my diet that way I can enjoy a little bit of the foods I like instead of overdoing it. I tend to be good 6 out of 7 days and allow myself one day where calories n macros go out the window and I'll have a takeaway and have a few drinks then back on it the next day. The main thing for me has being consistent.

Also I tend to follow a workout plan now instead of going to the gym and just doing whatever.

By *hGlobbitsMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Christ no.

over a year ago

"Christ no."

Haha this name is class

over a year ago

I’ve gone from “medium” to XXL in less than a year & then back to medium in the same amount of time.

A blip in my life about 8 years ago was the cause. I stopped exercising and being active, but carried on eating the same amount (a lot of food) so the result was it just piled on.

Cut that out and started working out again and I managed to get it off - but it was quite difficult especially the last few lbs down to my previous weight.

Cutting out sugar was a big thing and being really strict changing my whole diet (because I wanted it off as quick as it went on)

You can do it you just need to be really focused

over a year ago

ive put on and lost weight my entire life. min 80kgs max 120kgs.

recently 2 stone in 8 weeks off

diet. mostly diet. portions (dont finish the kids meals) no bread or limited. no cheese or limited. when getting the meal deal no fizzy juice or crisps / chocolate just go fruit and water. Takeaway once a fortnight. And make it your life.

and work out 30mins a day. doesnt matter that much doing what..

over a year ago

"ive put on and lost weight my entire life. min 80kgs max 120kgs.

recently 2 stone in 8 weeks off

diet. mostly diet. portions (dont finish the kids meals) no bread or limited. no cheese or limited. when getting the meal deal no fizzy juice or crisps / chocolate just go fruit and water. Takeaway once a fortnight. And make it your life.

and work out 30mins a day. doesnt matter that much doing what.. "

oh and get a buddy or make a game / bet of it.. sometimes easier with a target or competition.

By *herryblossom_BJWoman
over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

Keto and fasting has worked for me in the past.

By *ack 500Man
over a year ago

stafford

Consistency is the key , don’t try and do everything at once , small changes

By *ookie_and_NookieCouple
over a year ago

Kent

I lost two stone a couple of years ago, I’m planning to get back to it this year so I can finally hit goal weight. I’m fortunate in that I’m not really big but I’ve always opted to lose before it gets to that point. I’ve also always gained the weight back after losing it and before that two stone loss I was the biggest I’ve ever been. It’s not nice feeling like a useless fat mess when you’re married to an actual adonis of a godlike man who works out four times a week! Saying that, I carry extra weight well (ish) so other people have never seen me as being fat.

C x

By *itvclaireTV/TS
over a year ago

Birmingham

Following this as I've put on some weight recently and I really do need to shed a few lbs.

XX

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"I can lose a stone fairly easily... unfortunately I need to lose more than that by some way. I think that's sometimes why I get disheartened with it. I know I need to focus on changing my lifestyle rather than "dieting".

I also need to ditch the chair "

I've lost over 16 stone about 3 times... always manage to put it back on again. When I choose to do it.... I just set my mind to it and it happens

over a year ago

It's all about consistency.

In theory and practice it's easy to lose weight, it's just hard to keep it going for long.

Once you no longer think about what you must do to lose weight and it becomes a routine, that's when you start losing weight.

You remained disciplined, forgot about it, then all of a sudden you lost 10 pounds and are now extra motivated to keep going.

Any basic youtube meal prep and workout is good. It will be hard to do for 2-3 weeks, then it becomes routine, then you lose weight, then you become motivated and do even more than required and congrats 1 year passed you are now Arnold Schwarzenneger

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"It's all about consistency.

In theory and practice it's easy to lose weight, it's just hard to keep it going for long.

Once you no longer think about what you must do to lose weight and it becomes a routine, that's when you start losing weight.

You remained disciplined, forgot about it, then all of a sudden you lost 10 pounds and are now extra motivated to keep going.

Any basic youtube meal prep and workout is good. It will be hard to do for 2-3 weeks, then it becomes routine, then you lose weight, then you become motivated and do even more than required and congrats 1 year passed you are now Arnold Schwarzenneger "

its not that easy. I can lose 3 or 4 stone quite easy but once I get down to certain weights I start to just not care anymore. I don't get motivated as I don't really want to go to the weight I'm being told I should be and then it all goes wrong.

I'm currently classed as morbidly obese and yet quite content . Only losing some as my best clothes aren't fitting and I have to shift 7 stone minimum to have an operation I need

over a year ago

motivation comes and goes, it's consistency and discipline that wins and gives the results.

If you do things only when you are motivated to do so, then it will be almost impossible to achieve your long term goals.

Motivation is used to fuel short bursts of effort and as proof that your discipline and consistency is not worthless.

Allow yourself 1 day of happiness, when achieving your short term goals.

Then get right back on track.

By *uckslut and MCouple
over a year ago

The Attic - Derby.

I'm a yo yo er. I go up to a size 16/18 dress size, then down again. I'm currently 10 stone 8lb size 10 dress. My goal was 11 stone, but have slipped under (10.6) . Put on a couple of pounds over Christmas.

This time round, I don't drink. Around 4 years dry. I've started as employed, rather than self employed at home snacking. So have limited break times. I also walk 5 miles a day during my working day. I cycle to and from work. Too near to drive every day. Would kill the car. So I've lost in all around 2 & 1/2 stone, in around 18 months.

Good luck on yours and everyones journey.

By *ryan...Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

I once lost 8 stone ...I got divorced

By *hGlobbitsMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Christ no.

Haha this name is class "

Glad someone got the reference!

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I lost two and a half stone in 2022 by completely cutting out pop and other sugary drinks (lattes, cappuccinos etc. that you get in a satchet).

I also have three dogs now so my daily steps have increased.

I still have a lot more weight to lose though, but slowly slowly etc.

By *orthfieldsNickMan
over a year ago

Ealing

I lost about 3 stone a few years ago on Slimming World. It was hard sometimes but overall I enjoyed it, the results were great and I felt much better for doing it.

After a while it gets hard to maintain and I gave up on SW as it got to be too much stress and guilt every time I had a treat. I’ve managed to keep most of the weight off but it does fluctuate up and down. Mostly up recently after Christmas.

over a year ago

"I once lost 8 stone ...I got divorced "

Whereas the divorce diet is rather costly it also proves to be one of the most effective - I too lost alot of weight after both of mine - nothing like 8 stone though.

Can't have another one or I'll disappear

By *.L.0460.Woman
over a year ago

Bognor Regis

I struggled for years & ended up being put forward for bariatric surgery on the NHS (17 years ago).

I've had several skin removal surgeries in Poland after losing 10st from it. They do the weightloss surgery over there for around 4k. If I hadn't received help on the NHS, I would 100% pay for it abroad.

over a year ago

It sounds like you have the motivation so thats a huge start.

3 things to remember. Cut out most of the crap processed food, not all of it, you still need some comfort food to keep the motivation going.

Intermittent fasting works really well for us and it does not take long to get into the routine.

Walk, don't worry about running or gyms, just walk.

Both Clyde and myself can drop a couple of kilos in a few weeks easily with intermittent fasting. PM us if you want to chat about it

Post new Message to Thread