Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How often

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Do you answer your mobile phone to a number that you do not recognise ?

We have a job ad out at the mo and I have spent the morning sifting thru the 120+ applications received.

I have shortlisted 10 - who I NEED to inter_iew by Friday at the latest.

That's not my doing - just me reacting to a client being less than organised.

I have rang all 10 on their mobiles and how many have answered ?

1 !

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Does your number say withheld though?

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Never... If it's important they'll leave a message and I'll call them back

over a year ago

Number isn't withheld

I have left messages for those with answerphones and have followed up all with a text explaining who I am and what it is in relation to along with a number to call back on.

So we'll see what happens !

over a year ago

"Do you answer your mobile phone to a number that you do not recognise ?

We have a job ad out at the mo and I have spent the morning sifting thru the 120+ applications received.

1 !

"

give the 1 person who answered the job

over a year ago

never

Forum Mod

over a year ago

I don't usually but if id left my number on a job application then id be hoping for a call and would answer it

over a year ago

Never!! As missbehaving says, if it's important they will leaving a message.

So on behalf of the other 9, I hope you left them a message.

It's also a busy time of year, people are probably doing their best to wrap up the last of the year work/paperwork/deal etc etc & of course presents. One assumes as a boss, you would hope your staff would concentrate on getting the work load for your company finished before they going on Xmas leave, not answering phone calls from potential new employers... Just a thought???

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I never do. I just hope they leave me a message x

over a year ago

What's the job lol?? If it ain't withheld I would answer it personally

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/12/12 12:11:14]

over a year ago

"Never!! As missbehaving says, if it's important they will leaving a message.

So on behalf of the other 9, I hope you left them a message.

It's also a busy time of year, people are probably doing their best to wrap up the last of the year work/paperwork/deal etc etc & of course presents. One assumes as a boss, you would hope your staff would concentrate on getting the work load for your company finished before they going on Xmas leave, not answering phone calls from potential new employers... Just a thought???"

Alas I was only made aware of the vacancy on Friday with the clients deadline for the new starter being 2nd January !

Hence the urgency.

It is a temporary position to start with and due to the time constraints placed upon us, we have had to seek those not already in work.

over a year ago

My mate works for a large manufacturer in the midlands and they needed temps, out of 40 sent by an agency 33 either failed or refused the drugs test, I was shocked by that been honest as it was an attractive placement to get

over a year ago

"My mate works for a large manufacturer in the midlands and they needed temps, out of 40 sent by an agency 33 either failed or refused the drugs test, I was shocked by that been honest as it was an attractive placement to get"

That is a figure that whilst it is sad, is not something that surprises me at all.

Complicate things further - ask for a CRB check !

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

good luck with your overall task....

not going to be easy and one I don't envy

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I never answer a private number or a number I don't recognise, which can be bad as I found out my doctors were trying to contact me. Why they didn't leave a message is beyond me though.

over a year ago

i never answer, as someone said if its important they will leave a message

over a year ago

I seldom answer my mobile phone except for work and close friends and family.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"I never answer a private number or a number I don't recognise, which can be bad as I found out my doctors were trying to contact me. Why they didn't leave a message is beyond me though."

Doctors and banks won't leave a message as they consider it to be sensitive and private information and won't take the risk of someone else hearing the message.

over a year ago

1 !

"

Bussy, I have this all the time in my business. As I drive for a living I have to return a LOT of calls, and when you do so you invariably go through to voicemail either after a few rings or immediately.

I now have a standard text message which I pre-send saying I noted that they have called whilst I was driving (hoping to make them feel a pang of guilt) and will call them from the same number within the next ten minutes.

If they still don't answer, I give up...

However, when it's me answering calls, I have to admit, the first thing which is rejected is ANY withheld number - I absolutely REFUSE to answer anyone who hides their number. Next to 'go to voicemail' is any call from an 0800-0845 etc as they are usually trying to sell me something and I do not want customers being prevented from getting through.

other than that, I'll answer most calls as it usually means money in the 'Bank of Pork'

over a year ago

I don’t answer withheld numbers and number unknown calls, but I do answer unfamiliar local landline numbers….

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I answer when the phone rings

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

1 !

"

It's Christmas Eve. They 'could' be a bit busy.

Block text all of them. Give them a time to call you and sit back.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

P.S. Yes I answer my phone. Always.

Except if im in bed or I don't like the person phoning

By *mileyBWoman
over a year ago

Northwood

My usual reply to this would be never however I'm also job hunting and would answer my mobile to any number right now due to the amount of applications I've submitted.

However I was working this morning and couldn't answer ...... You didn't call me did you ? LOL

over a year ago

i answer my phone at the moment im using my personal phone as a work phone too gets confusing byt its all ok.

over a year ago

I never answer a number I do not recognise, there are some sneaky cold callers out there. I would imagine the applicants wouldn't think they would be contacted today and to be fair to them (especially if they are young)they may be out in busy pubs.

over a year ago

If I don't know the number I no longer answer.

Recently I've been getting calls from 2 unknown numbers several times a day, I Googled them both and they are from the same Charity place, apparently if a person gives to one Charity via text, it's common place to share the phone number so ya get bombarded by other Charities

By *ady4ladyWoman
over a year ago

liverpool

Being unemployed, my phone number is out there on the net attached to my CV on several sites. I always answer my phone 'just in case'.

On the flip side Ive just been offered a job so it worked.

over a year ago

1 !

Bussy, I have this all the time in my business. As I drive for a living I have to return a LOT of calls, and when you do so you invariably go through to voicemail either after a few rings or immediately.

I now have a standard text message which I pre-send saying I noted that they have called whilst I was driving (hoping to make them feel a pang of guilt) and will call them from the same number within the next ten minutes.

However, when it's me answering calls, I have to admit, the first thing which is rejected is ANY withheld number - I absolutely REFUSE to answer anyone who hides their number. Next to 'go to voicemail' is any call from an 0800-0845 etc as they are usually trying to sell me something and I do not want customers being prevented from getting through.

other than that, I'll answer most calls as it usually means money in the 'Bank of Pork'

"

I noticed u dont answer any of my calls

over a year ago

1 !

I noticed u dont answer any of my calls "

What calls..??????????

over a year ago

If I don't know the number it doesn't get answered, simples.

Post new Message to Thread