Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cornwall

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Does anyone regularly visit Cornwall? For boardmasters, surfing, visiting family, or anything else?

I live here and it can feel like the edge of the earth - tucked away right down the end of the southwestern peninsula.

In a lot of ways I like that. But it can feel disconnected to rest of the country... and other fabbers!

So if you visit. Stick a message in the comments and/or feel free to message me.

Cheers me beauts!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *mber and FireCouple
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

We used to live in Cornwall. My brother calls it an elephants graveyard. Moving out was the best decision we've made.

over a year ago

"We used to live in Cornwall. My brother calls it an elephants graveyard. Moving out was the best decision we've made."

And you're now in wales? I've genuinely considered moving to the valleys!

But why "elephants graveyard?"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Hi, living n Cornwall maybe I can give you some insight. This time of year it’s a little quiet however once summer arrives it’s glorious. Full fibre broadband makes connectivity easy and with flights from Newquay it’s easy to get around easy enoug.

However if you want swingers clubs and lots of play you need to look elsewhere. Just a few of us around and quite e literally spread around

By *mber and FireCouple
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

It helps that I'm (Drew) Welsh, but yeah we ended up in West Wales. Very similar but much more central and connected.

Because of the amount of people who move down their to retire and die. Because of the generational divides and the demographics, Cornwall will always be what it'll be. 50 years behind the rest of the UK.

over a year ago

"It helps that I'm (Drew) Welsh, but yeah we ended up in West Wales. Very similar but much more central and connected.

Because of the amount of people who move down their to retire and die. Because of the generational divides and the demographics, Cornwall will always be what it'll be. 50 years behind the rest of the UK."

Lol that totally makes sense!

By *mber and FireCouple
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

"It helps that I'm (Drew) Welsh, but yeah we ended up in West Wales. Very similar but much more central and connected.

Because of the amount of people who move down their to retire and die. Because of the generational divides and the demographics, Cornwall will always be what it'll be. 50 years behind the rest of the UK.

Lol that totally makes sense!"

Technically I'm half Cornish, but was born in Wales. Lived down there for 25 years. And it's a lovely place if you're of a certain mindset.

That being said, I don't know of anywhere in the UK that I would have had the freedom to explore as I did as a kid. Cornwall is lucky that for the most part, it's phenomenally safe.

over a year ago

I live in Cornwall and at times it feels like the end of the world has arrived.

It’s one of the most beautiful places in the country but it does take some time getting used to.

over a year ago

Like you, born in south wales and now living in Cornwall

over a year ago

I think there's lots of similarities between Cornwall and Wales. The mining history (tin in Cornwall and coal in wales... even back to celtic culture), the language (although the cornish language is all but lost), the friendliness of the people, even the old architecture... maybe that's why people like yourselves move between them.

over a year ago

Although wales has a few more swinging opportunities. Cornwall could do with a good club or a few parties

over a year ago

I love Cornwall but dont think I have managed to get there all year. I usually do a few times a year. I will live there one day, Penzance/Newlyn way and dont care at all about it being a bit weird and remote.

By *mber and FireCouple
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

"Although wales has a few more swinging opportunities. Cornwall could do with a good club or a few parties "

There used to be a bit of a bdsm scene, with a few regular parties. But they stopped about 2014. Munches occasionally, but swinging never really seemed to be particularly established down there.

over a year ago

"I love Cornwall but dont think I have managed to get there all year. I usually do a few times a year. I will live there one day, Penzance/Newlyn way and dont care at all about it being a bit weird and remote. "

Who said it was weird? Lol ! But yeah... I guess it is! x

By *iberius61Man
over a year ago

Pontefract

My parents had a house in Padstow in the 1970s, before Rick Stein was invented. I spent most summers there in my teens, learned to surf and sail. And of course learned many young adult lessons with holiday makers. Sadly not been back for several decades now, but I doubt its changed much.

over a year ago

Changed a bit padstow now Stienvile still they do great fish and chips

By *mber and FireCouple
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

"I love Cornwall but dont think I have managed to get there all year. I usually do a few times a year. I will live there one day, Penzance/Newlyn way and dont care at all about it being a bit weird and remote.

Who said it was weird? Lol ! But yeah... I guess it is! x"

Oh it's definitely weird. The most accurate portrayal of Cornwall I've seen was on Jack Whitehall's Bad Education movie. I've legitimately been in pubs, and been dragged into very similar conversations.

over a year ago

Few yrs back a guy tried to get one going in Truro few other bits around a couple have a hot tub party near Penzance but not sure if summer only love Cornwall been down there nearly fifty years on and off daughter lived there but now in Devon

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"We used to live in Cornwall. My brother calls it an elephants graveyard. Moving out was the best decision we've made.

And you're now in wales? I've genuinely considered moving to the valleys!

But why "elephants graveyard?" "

people go there to die

By *ong-leggedblondWoman
over a year ago

Next Door

Born and bred in gods country.

Left in 96 for work etc.

Return to visit family.

Cornwall still lives in my heart and I call it home.

Unfortunately it's so behind in the times, good in some ways, awful in others and lots of small minded people

over a year ago

"Born and bred in gods country.

Left in 96 for work etc.

Return to visit family.

Cornwall still lives in my heart and I call it home.

Unfortunately it's so behind in the times, good in some ways, awful in others and lots of small minded people "

Yeah being behind the times is part of the charm... but also a frustration x

over a year ago

I have family in Helston and Falmouth, but haven’t been since 2019.

I believe there is a swingers place in Mousehole but don’t know exactly where.

But if it’s good food you’re looking for PM for the name of a pub whose food is second to none

over a year ago

I used to travel down as far as Penzance for work. It reminded me of Pembrokeshire on the road going down, but the road didn't seem to end and the towns were few and far between. On my day off I decided to visit Saint Ives and I drived around for an hour looking for a place to park and gave up and drived back home.

over a year ago

I love Cornwall, literally live just over the bridge but I don't know if I could live there.. maybe too quiet for me

over a year ago

"I used to travel down as far as Penzance for work. It reminded me of Pembrokeshire on the road going down, but the road didn't seem to end and the towns were few and far between. On my day off I decided to visit Saint Ives and I drived around for an hour looking for a place to park and gave up and drived back home."

Lol finding a parking space in St Ives is as likely as winning the lottery! If I go I'm there early and park in the train station car park

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

"We used to live in Cornwall. My brother calls it an elephants graveyard. Moving out was the best decision we've made."

I can definitely understand that. I live in Cornwall but it will never be home.

By *uminsiderMKMan
over a year ago

St Austell

We moved down here just over five years ago from Milton Keynes (hence the 'MK' part of my username), and as a place to live, there's no comparison, it's great - as a place to 'play', however...

....let's just say that that's the only reason I'd ever consider moving back to MK - over the years I had various local playmates there, and when opportunities arose, others who were only an hour or so's drive away in almost any direction...

....from here, it takes that long to just get to either Land's End, or the border with Devon!

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

just somewhere around here

We have lots of friends in St Just/Penzance we visit when we can but we are near Cambridge, but there in two weeks, cannot wait

By *ornishkink69Man
over a year ago

penzance

I look forward to the day you move here

By *ornishkink69Man
over a year ago

penzance

I'm moving near St Just very soon. Can't wait

By *ornishkink69Man
over a year ago

penzance

Never heard of any swinging in Mousehole! If only

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

just somewhere around here

"I'm moving near St Just very soon. Can't wait "

Lucky you We love it there

over a year ago

"I'm moving near St Just very soon. Can't wait

Lucky you We love it there "

The end of the world, in the nicest possible way. Such a lovely place of wildness.

over a year ago

"Does anyone regularly visit Cornwall? For boardmasters, surfing, visiting family, or anything else?

I live here and it can feel like the edge of the earth - tucked away right down the end of the southwestern peninsula.

In a lot of ways I like that. But it can feel disconnected to rest of the country... and other fabbers!

So if you visit. Stick a message in the comments and/or feel free to message me.

Cheers me beauts! "

Oh man, I miss Cornwall. Had many family holidays there over the years, Devon too. Not been since about 2016.

over a year ago

"I used to travel down as far as Penzance for work. It reminded me of Pembrokeshire on the road going down, but the road didn't seem to end and the towns were few and far between. On my day off I decided to visit Saint Ives and I drived around for an hour looking for a place to park and gave up and drived back home.

Lol finding a parking space in St Ives is as likely as winning the lottery! If I go I'm there early and park in the train station car park"

Hell yes, that's so true. It's nigh on impossible to park your car anywhere down in the town. When I stayed there back in 2001, we used to walk into town.

over a year ago

Interesting fact about Cornwall. Had Dr Beechings second report on the UK's rail network been acted upon, there would be zero railways left in Cornwall today.

By *mber and FireCouple
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

The Lizard can be a pretty kinky place, if you know where to look.

over a year ago

"My parents had a house in Padstow in the 1970s, before Rick Stein was invented. I spent most summers there in my teens, learned to surf and sail. And of course learned many young adult lessons with holiday makers. Sadly not been back for several decades now, but I doubt its changed much."
There's probably more gift shops there now.

By *eannaTV/TS
over a year ago

Cwmfelifach, nr Newport

I'm from Penzance and most of my family live in Camborne, Redruth and Helston, myself however in South Wales, the funny thing is I've lived in Wales for 33 years and I've still got my Cornish accent

By *uminsiderMKMan
over a year ago

St Austell

"The Lizard can be a pretty kinky place, if you know where to look."

Presumably the place to look for is whichever spot you're in at the time?

By *mber and FireCouple
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

"The Lizard can be a pretty kinky place, if you know where to look.

Presumably the place to look for is whichever spot you're in at the time? "

We're kinky, but even it was an eye-opener even for us.

By *ixenandhoundCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth, South west

We are right on the edge and get to enjoy the gorgeousness of Cornwall but not being a million miles away from clubs etc.

Stunning part of the world though

over a year ago

"We are right on the edge and get to enjoy the gorgeousness of Cornwall but not being a million miles away from clubs etc.

Stunning part of the world though "

God, I miss Cornwall so much. Love Plymouth too. Is House of Frazer still there?

By *ore4fundevonCouple
over a year ago

West Devon

We're not far from the border and cross it regularly for work and pleasure.

I do enjoy time in Cornwall. Don't tend to get right 'down west' very often and should really make an effort to get and explore it a bit more with or without the kids

I'll admit though it does feel a bit of a different world when you get past Victoria.

over a year ago

"We're not far from the border and cross it regularly for work and pleasure.

I do enjoy time in Cornwall. Don't tend to get right 'down west' very often and should really make an effort to get and explore it a bit more with or without the kids

I'll admit though it does feel a bit of a different world when you get past Victoria. "

That's a very precise location. You could have said Bodmin but no, just a bit further.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/01/23 16:27:17]

By *ixenandhoundCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth, South west

"We are right on the edge and get to enjoy the gorgeousness of Cornwall but not being a million miles away from clubs etc.

Stunning part of the world though

God, I miss Cornwall so much. Love Plymouth too. Is House of Frazer still there?"

Just about hanging on... one of the only big shops that is though

By *uminsiderMKMan
over a year ago

St Austell

"Love Plymouth too. Is House of Frazer still there?"

It was a couple of weeks ago...

By *uminsiderMKMan
over a year ago

St Austell

"I'll admit though it does feel a bit of a different world when you get past Victoria."

"That's a very precise location. You could have said Bodmin but no, just a bit further."

That's because the passing of Victoria was the end of an era...

over a year ago

Summer on a nice quiet beach, always a winner. Plenty of space

By *ore4fundevonCouple
over a year ago

West Devon

I'll admit though it does feel a bit of a different world when you get past Victoria.

That's a very precise location. You could have said Bodmin but no, just a bit further."

I did think that after I wrote it but was figuring the Victoria services are a bit more of a neutral land mark. Sorry

over a year ago

I go to Cornwall 4 or 5 times a year, usually Sennan Cove or Perranporth.

By *r EvansMan
over a year ago

St. Austell

I'm born and bred here and love it, but clubs and the like are non existent. A lot of Welsh heritage on my dad's side of the family

over a year ago

That's a very precise location. You could have said Bodmin but no, just a bit further.

I did think that after I wrote it but was figuring the Victoria services are a bit more of a neutral land mark. Sorry "

lol, I hope you don't think I was having a go at you. Maybe I should have used a smiley face

over a year ago

"I'm born and bred here and love it, but clubs and the like are non existent. A lot of Welsh heritage on my dad's side of the family "

I've been down your end before. Just south of St Austell at Pentewan Sands.

By *ore4fundevonCouple
over a year ago

West Devon

I did think that after I wrote it but was figuring the Victoria services are a bit more of a neutral land mark. Sorry

lol, I hope you don't think I was having a go at you. Maybe I should have used a smiley face "

Being a Devon "bay" I should have said Launceston :D (joking)

It's all good

over a year ago

I did think that after I wrote it but was figuring the Victoria services are a bit more of a neutral land mark. Sorry "

I prefer the car boot across a30 on a Sunday

By *asmine xxxWoman
over a year ago

Cornwall, Bristol

"Does anyone regularly visit Cornwall? For boardmasters, surfing, visiting family, or anything else?

Cheers me beauts! "

I feel your pain xx

over a year ago

lol, I hope you don't think I was having a go at you. Maybe I should have used a smiley face

It's all good "

Would you be Plymouth based?

By *ore4fundevonCouple
over a year ago

West Devon

It's all good

Would you be Plymouth based?"

No, a little further in land, lol.

over a year ago

I moved down here 3 and a bit years ago and love it - its everything Birmingham isn't and its just what I want.

Although be good to know of there are a few more spots around for meetings etc

over a year ago

It's all good

Would you be Plymouth based?

No, a little further in land, lol. "

There's loads of interesting place names around there..

Chaddlehanger

Meavy

Peter Tavy

Sampford Spiney

Broadwoodwidger

Great Kneeset

To name a few

over a year ago

Try and get there once a year my stepdad came from Penzance, love crantock beach.

By *aughty masonMan
over a year ago

nowhere

I’ve been dying to visit Cornwall so I have a trip booked for the end of the month

By *jonesMan
over a year ago

london

Cornwall is changing a lot , certainly west Cornwall , below Truro. The post COVID property madness has driven up house prices in an area with most on low wages and an enormous influx of property developers.

A lot more working from home professions have moved down and a

definite change to the demographics of the population.

I grew up in Penzance and moved back at the beginning of lockdown , it's still lovely tho I do escape regularly to see the lights.

over a year ago

Nothing wrong with Lanson!

over a year ago

I miss the pasties from Cornwall. In a particular bakery they tasted amazing. Not like the rubbish you get every.

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

"Changed a bit padstow now Stienvile still they do great fish and chips "
one of the only few people I've heard say that, even the sea gulls tend to avoid them

over a year ago

"Changed a bit padstow now Stienvile still they do great fish and chips one of the only few people I've heard say that, even the sea gulls tend to avoid them"

They're probably quite expensive too.

By *U1966Man
over a year ago

Devon

Avoid travelling to the dark side Devon is far better

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

"Changed a bit padstow now Stienvile still they do great fish and chips one of the only few people I've heard say that, even the sea gulls tend to avoid them

They're probably quite expensive too."

£15.95 for fish and chips but the servings are very small

over a year ago

"Changed a bit padstow now Stienvile still they do great fish and chips one of the only few people I've heard say that, even the sea gulls tend to avoid them

£15.95 for fish and chips but the servings are very small"

Nothing has changed then since I was last down there.

Surprisingly, when my brother had to stay at the Hilton near Manchester airport, he only paid £11.50 for fish and chips.

over a year ago

Fish chips doc Martin village very good.

over a year ago

"Fish chips doc Martin village very good."

The last time I had fish and chips down south was ay Kelly's restaurant in Looe. Pricey but quite nice.

over a year ago

"Changed a bit padstow now Stienvile still they do great fish and chips one of the only few people I've heard say that, even the sea gulls tend to avoid them"

That reminds me. When my brother was having a day out in Falmouth, a blooody seagulll swooped down and grabbed some chips out of his hand.

My experience was a bit different. Having a crab just miss my head after it was dropped by a seagull.

By *jonesMan
over a year ago

london

Surprisingly, when my brother had to stay at the Hilton near Manchester airport, he only paid £11.50 for fish and chips."

Is your chosen subject regional prices of fish and chips ?

By *mber and FireCouple
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

That reminds me. When my brother was having a day out in Falmouth, a blooody seagulll swooped down and grabbed some chips out of his hand.

My experience was a bit different. Having a crab just miss my head after it was dropped by a seagull."

We learned not to eat food out public. Truro and Falmouth especially come summer time. Much joy was had watching tourists lose their lunch instead.

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

Surprisingly, when my brother had to stay at the Hilton near Manchester airport, he only paid £11.50 for fish and chips.

Is your chosen subject regional prices of fish and chips ? "

Well much more interesting than many other forum subjects

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

My experience was a bit different. Having a crab just miss my head after it was dropped by a seagull.

We learned not to eat food out public. Truro and Falmouth especially come summer time. Much joy was had watching tourists lose their lunch instead."

Much worse October to February, when there's less holiday makers the sea gulls get hangry and a lot more daring. You've got to love the cheeky thieving sods.

By *r EvansMan
over a year ago

St. Austell

I've had an Eccles cake swooped from me by a diving seagull. Thought I was being jumped, knocked me over ????

over a year ago

We learned not to eat food out public. Truro and Falmouth especially come summer time. Much joy was had watching tourists lose their lunch instead.

Much worse October to February, when there's less holiday makers the sea gulls get hangry and a lot more daring. You've got to love the cheeky thieving sods."

I once saw a vid of someone who laced some food with laxative and fed it to the seagulls.

The shower of excrement that resulted, was hilarious.

over a year ago

We’re down in St Ives Penzance begging of March. Can’t wait. Love Kernow.

over a year ago

I'm Cornish and wouldn't want to leave. It's a pity you need to leave Cornwall for a club, but in the summer there are plenty of beaches for decadent fun.

over a year ago

Love crantock

Post new Message to Thread