Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cooking advice please :)

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Righto, all you wonderful chefs out there, I need some advice please

I don't have a cooker. I do have a George Forman Grill, a Halogen Oven and a Microwave oven

All of the above are great, but I'm slowy coming to the conclusion that for some things I could do with something else besides.

I really want to start cooking more healthy type meals, and lots of recipes I look at are pretty impossible without a hob.

I don't have very much to spend and don't know which of the following would be best to consider... it's also fair to say I'm a rubbish cook

1. An electric Hob

2. An electric Induction Hob

2. An electric frying pan

4. An electric wok

Please can I have some advice? I'd quite like to attempt a proper Christmas dinner, which will be my first since moving here 5 years ago

Thanks guys

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ursevampsWoman
over a year ago

bucks

can cook a meal in ethe microwave hun easy halogen oven great for the raost pots hun def recoommend and elctric hob so much ya can cook with one

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Have you thought about a slow pot, or those portable camper has hobs

over a year ago

Get a suitcase stove, as in one of those table top hobs that use butane gas canisters that can be use safely inside the house.

You should be able to pick a good one up for under 15 GBP at the likes of Argos, Go Outdoors and the larger supermarkets.

Be careful not to use a pan that is too big or it could lead to the gas canister being overheated.

When not required, you can just pack it away.

Another good one to have is an induction hob. However, you may need to invest on some induction-ready utensils for it.

Personally, I believe a suitcase stove is your best bet as it does not cost a lot and is very versatile.

Have fun cooking!

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I'm not sure how a halogen over works?

Have you looked into a slow cooker? Mine is brilliant and so easy. I just chuck meat, veg, and a few new potatoes in it at 9am and at 5 it's all done and waiting., best invention ever. I've got a cookbook with tonnes of different recipes in you can cook a whole chicken in there if you want! Xx

over a year ago

I s'pose the thing putting me off a hob so far has been having to buy pots and pans... I wondered if getting an electric frying pan would let me do as much as on a hob without the extra expense?

I agree the Halogen has been brilliant! It has made all sorts of roasts a success everytime!

over a year ago

I am against an electric frying pan or wok myself, prefer to get a hob so that I can use any utensils on it instead.

over a year ago

I'm not too bothered about slow cookers, I was thinkig more about being able to do things like stir-fries, sauces... or even just fry an egg

I miss fried eggs

over a year ago

My preferred method of cooking is pan-frying and stir-frying. Hence I got a 5-ring hob with a wok burner in the middle.

By *ursevampsWoman
over a year ago

bucks

then sounds liek a hob is the way to go if ou get the amping version of pots and pans then no nee t buy loads get the one pot does itall hun easy peasy

and great storage as well flat packs lol

over a year ago

"I am against an electric frying pan or wok myself, prefer to get a hob so that I can use any utensils on it instead.

"

So either of those would be limiting?

I'm sort of liking the idea of the induction hob... but as you say, it means buying utensils at the same time

over a year ago

"then sounds liek a hob is the way to go if ou get the amping version of pots and pans then no nee t buy loads get the one pot does itall hun easy peasy

and great storage as well flat packs lol

"

Just realized you meant camping version! lol!

I don't trust myself with a gas cannister in the house! lol!

...It's looking like an induction hob is the answer. I'll see if I can find a decent middle sized pot to start on lol!

Thanks for yer thoughts

over a year ago

"I am against an electric frying pan or wok myself, prefer to get a hob so that I can use any utensils on it instead.

So either of those would be limiting?

I'm sort of liking the idea of the induction hob... but as you say, it means buying utensils at the same time "

What about a suitcase gas stove that I mentioned earlier?

The issue I have with an electric wok or frying pan is that they are difficult to clean being quite heavy, and one has to be very careful not to splash water near the connections etc...

This is based on previous experience when my dad had an electric wok many years ago.

over a year ago

"

"

Thing is.. I procastinate endlessly, I just know that as soon as the cannister ran out of gas it would just collect dust for a year

Also I don't drive, I set off for work before 7am and get home again after 6pm, I just know I would never get around to keeping up with it.

over a year ago

The likes of Lidl's and Aldi's have good value single induction hob for sale for under 30 GBP from time to time.

If you need one this side of Christmas, then Lakeland is your best bet, however, it is nearly 70 GBP!

You should be able to get some suitable pans to use on it from them too.

By *ursevampsWoman
over a year ago

bucks

no you can get electric hob hun no need for gas it a table top one that [portable

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"I'm not too bothered about slow cookers, I was thinkig more about being able to do things like stir-fries, sauces... or even just fry an egg

I miss fried eggs "

Ah right I see your point. I haven't used any of the others. Is the George Foreman grill flat bed or bumpy? X

over a year ago

"

Thing is.. I procastinate endlessly, I just know that as soon as the cannister ran out of gas it would just collect dust for a year

Also I don't drive, I set off for work before 7am and get home again after 6pm, I just know I would never get around to keeping up with it. "

The gas canisters are widely available. Get some spares at the same time as getting the stove.

over a year ago

Ooo, if you plan to stir-fry using an induction hob, then I would strongly advise you to get a flat bottom frying pan with high sides, as in a sauté pan.

And a splatter guide too!

over a year ago

"Ooo, if you plan to stir-fry using an induction hob, then I would strongly advise you to get a flat bottom frying pan with high sides, as in a sauté pan.

"

Bloody Heeeeell! this is starting to sound expensive lol!

Right! I'm off to interweb shop..possibly... wish me luck!

over a year ago

"I'm not too bothered about slow cookers, I was thinkig more about being able to do things like stir-fries, sauces... or even just fry an egg

I miss fried eggs

Ah right I see your point. I haven't used any of the others. Is the George Foreman grill flat bed or bumpy? X "

It's bumpy.... it makes a terrible mess trying to fry eggs on it!

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I miss fried eggs

Ah right I see your point. I haven't used any of the others. Is the George Foreman grill flat bed or bumpy? X

It's bumpy.... it makes a terrible mess trying to fry eggs on it! "

Oh bugger, that's my egg ring and bit of oil plan out the window then. Argos have a mini oven with 2 hob rings on top unclear if its electric or gas tho x

By *ursevampsWoman
over a year ago

bucks

here we go hun see if this helps this might help

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/330809833012?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

Ooh and tonnes of table top hobs dead cheap on amazon x x

over a year ago

i watching this thread as i love to cook and you ladies always have interesting tips.

over a year ago

"Ooo, if you plan to stir-fry using an induction hob, then I would strongly advise you to get a flat bottom frying pan with high sides, as in a sauté pan.

Right! I'm off to interweb shop..possibly... wish me luck! "

Lakeland: induction hob, splatter guard, and induction-ready frying pan, all in one shop!!!

Not sure if you can get them delivered this side of Christmas though.

Good luck!

over a year ago

Right! I'm off to interweb shop..possibly... wish me luck!

Lakeland: induction hob, splatter guard, and induction-ready frying pan, all in one shop!!!

Not sure if you can get them delivered this side of Christmas though.

Good luck! "

splatter guard.

has its uses

By *ursevampsWoman
over a year ago

bucks

specially if you insist on cooking in Todd again never do it hurts

over a year ago

"specially if you insist on cooking in Todd again never do it hurts

"

i hadnt thought of that.

mind was elsewhere

over a year ago

Ooo, be careful not to choose a cheapo frying pan that is too light on the pan side, or you'd risk dropping it on the floor like I did the other night.

over a year ago

"Ooo, be careful not to choose a cheapo frying pan that is too light on the pan side, or you'd risk dropping it on the floor like I did the other night.

"

ah yes.

i had a handle come off one once.now i buy tefal and its lasted

over a year ago

Mine did not come off. However, I did not rest the pan fully on the hob, and the blooming thing slid and dropped onto the floor, handle end first.

over a year ago

"Mine did not come off. However, I did not rest the pan fully on the hob, and the blooming thing slid and dropped onto the floor, handle end first. "

i had my dinner all down the leg and also had to keep the cat away from it as it was too hot.

never buy cheap kitchen things again.

over a year ago

Looks like I'm too late for any Christmas delivery now. I'm off to Asda late tonight and will see if they have anything cheap - if not I'll just have to be inventive

May as well wait now to see if anything comes up in the January sales

over a year ago

"Looks like I'm too late for any Christmas delivery now. I'm off to Asda late tonight and will see if they have anything cheap - if not I'll just have to be inventive

"

im doing that as im after a new foreman griller as ive had mine for years.

going to get the bigger one with the bun warmer.

over a year ago

You need a hob for serious cooking. I'd go for an electric one. Then you need two books. A manual on how to work it, and 'cooking for dummies'

over a year ago

"Looks like I'm too late for any Christmas delivery now. I'm off to Asda late tonight and will see if they have anything cheap - if not I'll just have to be inventive

going to get the bigger one with the bun warmer."

They have removable plates now too which is great for cleaning the damn thing!

Hope Asda have a cheap single hob...been hankering after some liver for some reason

over a year ago

going to get the bigger one with the bun warmer.

They have removable plates now too which is great for cleaning the damn thing!

Hope Asda have a cheap single hob...been hankering after some liver for some reason "

oh do they. mine is the old type and is a bugger to clean.

used it a lot.one of the best things ive ever bought considering the amount of use its had.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/12/12 16:35:41]

over a year ago

Look on facebook selling sites its surprising what you find on there put a wanted ad and you will find people who forgot they had stuff in the back of a cupboard and then sell u a bargain

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"...........

I really want to start cooking more healthy type meals, and lots of recipes I look at are pretty impossible without a hob.

.............. "

Have you considered a steamer? Very versatile and good for healthy food.

over a year ago

"...........

Have you considered a steamer? Very versatile and good for healthy food."

But can it fry an egg?

I have a microwave steamer for veg/rice

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

might be a bit late for you Fia, but try Tesco if you can get there,

George Foreman Grill and Griddle 18603,

£60

that will allow you to fry stuff like eggs,

or even better and more suited. Currys, double electric hob, Russell Hobbs, 15199 £40

the one at Currys is in stock at all leeds stores according to the website

Hope this helps

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

I have a single gas ring from a camping shop. It comes in a briefcase like carry case and takes cans of gas that are the same size as a large can of hairspray or air freshener.

It's very handy and heats up well. I mostly use it for camping but it was great when I had my kitchen done.

If you have a go outdoors or a CCC near you they often have deals on - high st places like millets are more expensive.

Post new Message to Thread