Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Divorce

Jump to newest

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

Can anybody tell me if I can get a divorce paid for in full by legal aid since I am unemployed??

Yes I know there are DIY kits available , but it's the court costs that are the biggie .......

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

If you are both in agreement and if there aren't aren't any children involved it shouldn't cost you a lot of money.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Back in 2004/5, it cost my ex-hubby about 120 GBP all in to file for divorce himself without involving the lawyers or the court.

over a year ago

The rules are complex take advice on it but do not expect to come out smelling of roses. What you put into it you should take out, what was a gift could be yours.

Depends on length of time together and if any off spring involved..good luck mate not many winners.

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

cost me 1500 notes

over a year ago

i did ours myself - had some involvement from solicitors regarding property etc and kids stuff - but wasnt thousands

over a year ago

I'm going through the divorce now and it has cost me £300 and no lawyers

over a year ago

Mines cost £90 and I didn't even have to put pen to paper.

Can you not sort it out amicably without getting solicitors involved?

over a year ago

i have an inkling you can do this online now - the form filling in part anyway - i had to go to court and swear on bible etc and sign - done deed

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

We have a child between us, the house has been sold and I gave all contend and profit from it to her. I got a £150 BBQ from it . I pay amicable mauntenace to her and although I have paid best part of £8k to help her over the last 12 months it should be amicable from both sides .... Just want an end to it now xxxx

By *ursevampsWoman
over a year ago

bucks

if you have medical conditions as well my e x was going through divorce is was costing him a arm she cheated on him and he had to pay she got free as she didnt work unfortualtlly whist visiting me he had a heart attack contacted solicitor explained he was in hospital and they removed all fees he got the house as he needed it for recovery etc she got half his pension and dint pay for the divorce at all

mind im not say the way to go but it is free on benefits as you get free legal aid etc x

over a year ago

You will end up paying even if on legal aid if you stand to make any financial gain from the divorce, you have to sign to Legal Commissions forms first which basically means before any monies of the sale of a shared property of other assets are paid over to you, you will pay back all your legal costs.

over a year ago

Also if you have entitled to legal aid, if your circumstances change or if you are now living with a new partner, their income and/or assets are taken into consideration.

Initially though you will have no costs to pay out, if a/on own b/ can show proof of benefits within the past month and on a regular basis c/ as per my prior post bear in mind you are liable to pay these costs back if you are receive any kind of financial settlement.

When phoning a solicitors firm, look under the Family Law section and ask to see the person who deals with legal aid cases.

Also always try to go for the less qualified or newly qualified if you stand to repay your costs.

over a year ago

Its, just cost me £7000 in fee's this year, and everything was split 60-40 in her favour, no kids nothing, and shes living rent free in my house thats paid for, with another guy sleeping in the bed that i paid for, just get good advice thats all i can say, and dont think everything is equal in the eyes of the law

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I know you are all trying to help but can you send your links by PM...only links on the approved list can be posted.

Post new Message to Thread