Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Graphic novels

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Any graphic novel series of books you would recommend that anyone is reading.

(Graphic novel - a book for middle aged men that prefer looking at pictures over reading text…. )

I’m currently getting my way through Deadly Class and I know it will come to an end and I’d like something with that same type of vibe to it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not sure if for you but I enjoyed dress up darling which recently found the anime off too,manga is better though

over a year ago

"Not sure if for you but I enjoyed dress up darling which recently found the anime off too,manga is better though"

I never get on with any of the Anime I’ve checked out. The art work is fine for me in games or video, but for some reason I never was drawn to it in print.

over a year ago

"Not sure if for you but I enjoyed dress up darling which recently found the anime off too,manga is better though

I never get on with any of the Anime I’ve checked out. The art work is fine for me in games or video, but for some reason I never was drawn to it in print. "

But I’ll look at your suggestion, I like recommendations.

over a year ago

Batman: The killing joke

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

Is there anything in particular you dig about Deadly Class?

Rememder has a bunch of weird stuff to dip into like Black Science, but if there's something specific, I could take a shot at recommending

over a year ago

I'm no expert, but The Sandman and Watchmen are big-hitters.

By *ereagainlolMan
over a year ago

Lerwick

Judge Dredd always good

over a year ago

"Judge Dredd always good "

over a year ago

"Is there anything in particular you dig about Deadly Class?

"

Do you know it? The grittiness apeals. There’s the sexy tension that’s always there. But the main character is oddly relatable. And I understand him, and I like that and want to see where he ends up.

over a year ago

"Judge Dredd always good "

That’s my teenage years in high school.

over a year ago

"I'm no expert, but The Sandman and Watchmen are big-hitters."

I read watchman, twice as I still struggle to understand the comic. The film didn’t help much either.

I’ll check out sandman, i think a friend pointed that to me aswell.

over a year ago

I enjoyed the walking dead comic books, currently reading the tmnt comics, I’ve heard amazing things about the last ronin, something I’m looking at next is “something is killing the children” it’s got similar feels of buffy the vampire slayer x

over a year ago

"Batman: The killing joke "

Brilliant. bought the special edition for my son. He loves it.

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

"Is there anything in particular you dig about Deadly Class?

Do you know it? The grittiness apeals. There’s the sexy tension that’s always there. But the main character is oddly relatable. And I understand him, and I like that and want to see where he ends up. "

Yeah I know it, it's a lil' beast of a book.

Few other Image titles of that time that I liked: East of West was real interesting. Morning Glories had all that suspense-y some shit's going down oddness. Saga, because it's Saga and it's absurdly good.

On the bigger titles, for gritty relatability? Maybe Preacher, I guess?

over a year ago

Adventures of Booby Watcher

By *andyrod1Man
over a year ago

St Margaret's at Cliffe

I have just read Road to Perdition, a good read with some slight variation from the film, the Garth Ennis WW2 books are good, Commando Comics with sex and swearing!

By *luffyrabitCouple
over a year ago

Catterick Garrison/ Stockton

Elfquest

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Sex Criminals of course for anyone on fab!

Strangers In Paradise, and Rachel Rising, both by Terry Moore are bloody brilliant. You'll probably have to order direct from Terry's website though as they're not mass market.

Sin City? Very noir and brutal, if you like that sort of thing.

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

"I have just read Road to Perdition, a good read with some slight variation from the film, the Garth Ennis WW2 books are good, Commando Comics with sex and swearing!"

The ultimate version of this is Adventures in the rifle brigade. Fucking hilarious

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

"Judge Dredd always good

That’s my teenage years in high school. "

They have matured with you. Some really good stuff over the years. The Pit is one I would recommend

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

An odd one that I came across and really liked was 68, it's zombies in Vietnam and beyond. Also the classic that is The Boys and a mention for Y the last man.

By *rLothbrokMan
over a year ago

Lancs

The Boys.

Twisted Dark; as it’s name suggests is quite dark and could be triggering to some readers.

By *ensualMan
over a year ago

Sutton

Where would I start.

I am big fan of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips "Criminal' series. Down to earth and gritty? If you like slightly twisted fantasmgorical they have the "Fatale" series.

My favourite writer is Garth Ennis as someone has said his WW2 series is excellent. But if you want seriously messed up dark Zombie types check his initial collection of "Crossed" it makes "Walking Dead" look like "Mary Poppins". If you want completely twisted and and not politically correct his Barracuda collection.

I would also mention the "100 Bullets" collection by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso, a slow burn but builds nicely, a criminal noir thing. Also their "Hatched' is excellent.

If you want Western anime superhero sexy fun the early" Empowered" are good.

If you want straight action there was a series of James Bond reboots in the mid 2000s the best was the re-imagining of Felix Leiter.

Whilst on secret agents " Velvet" by Brubaker gets a thumbs up.

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

Anyone going to comic con in London this year?

By *eeking PassionMan
over a year ago

yep

Try the full collection of Irredeemable. Look at Ultimates Galactus Collection.

Transmetropolitan

Preacher

Scott Snyders 10 issues of Batman starting with the Court of Owls

I good really go on…..

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

V for Vendetta is a good one. The art is a little dated but the story is still fantastic.

LvM

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

Not read that many but loved 300, Sin City and From Hell.

Mrs

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

"Not read that many but loved 300, Sin City and From Hell.

Mrs"

Just realised you asked for series and only Sin City meets that. Doh.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Charley's War is fantastic. The level of detail in the artwork is amazing. It's an anthology from a comic, but no less the worse for that.

By *ustintime69Man
over a year ago

Bristol

I guess Akira is the obvious choice but I used to love things like “American Flagg” and “nemesis” and if you want to go way back in time there was some pretty mad stuff in “action” and “2000 ad”

over a year ago

"Not read that many but loved 300, Sin City and From Hell.

Mrs"

I did read From Hell. That’s some heavy reading towards the end.

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

"Charley's War is fantastic. The level of detail in the artwork is amazing. It's an anthology from a comic, but no less the worse for that. "

This is absolute comic perfection. Artwork and stories that have stayed with me for 40 years.

over a year ago

"Any graphic novel series of books you would recommend that anyone is reading.

(Graphic novel - a book for middle aged men that prefer looking at pictures over reading text…. )

I’m currently getting my way through Deadly Class and I know it will come to an end and I’d like something with that same type of vibe to it.

"

Umbrella Academy (highly recommend if you like the series)

V for Vendetta

Sherlock Holmes by Petr Kopl

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

There’s a few for you to look up

By *aldrMan
over a year ago

In and around

Preacher series, brilliant.

By *ncemoreroundthesunCouple
over a year ago

A town and place not in the UK

Loved

From hell and Watchmen

The preacher series

Judge dredd

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

I've just finished scarlet traces, a steam-punk sequel to HG Wells war of the world's. Lots of little nods to those of us who have grown up through the 70's and 80's with features and character names and places.

over a year ago

Nope ...read a proper book and let your imagination immerse itself into the realm being weaved by the author

Graphic novels are for imaginative lazies!!

over a year ago

Lincoln

"Nope ...read a proper book and let your imagination immerse itself into the realm being weaved by the author

Graphic novels are for imaginative lazies!!"

Can't imagine what your stance on film and television are then

LvM

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Just the classics really, Alan Moore Watchmen, The killing joke.

Frank Miller Daredevils, Frank Miller Batmans,

over a year ago

"Nope ...read a proper book and let your imagination immerse itself into the realm being weaved by the author

LvM"

That's a wholly different medium

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

LvM

That's a wholly different medium"

So is a graphic novel to a book.

over a year ago

LvM

So is a graphic novel to a book. "

Is it tho? On what theory are you basing your argument? Bookshops sell graphic novels...so would that not making them the same medium?

over a year ago

Lincoln

LvM

Is it tho? On what theory are you basing your argument? Bookshops sell graphic novels...so would that not making them the same medium?"

Waterstones sells LEGO too, doesn't make those books

LvM

over a year ago

LvM

Is it tho? On what theory are you basing your argument? Bookshops sell graphic novels...so would that not making them the same medium?

Waterstones sells LEGO too, doesn't make those books

LvM"

I'll take your word on it, I get my books from other sources

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

Well if you haven't read any how would you know? Intelligence is sexy, ignorance, not so much.

The artwork in so many comics adds layers that your imagination may not conceive.

Charley's war mentioned above exposed me to the horrors of the first world war and led to a lifetime of interest in history. A novel I read at the same age on a similar subject was enhanced by the images from the comics.

But hey, I just want to stir shit up

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

Or read a graphic novel and let your eyes feast on the realm conceived by the artist. Also graphic novels are a gateway to 'proper books' for children who are reluctant readers. Book snobbery is pathetic.

over a year ago

Or read a graphic novel and let your eyes feast on the realm conceived by the artist. Also graphic novels are a gateway to 'proper books' for children who are reluctant readers. Book snobbery is pathetic. "

Not my words but the OPs

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

Or read a graphic novel and let your eyes feast on the realm conceived by the artist. Also graphic novels are a gateway to 'proper books' for children who are reluctant readers. Book snobbery is pathetic. "

Don't encourage him. Apparently it's a view he doesn't have but just wants to stir it up as he messaged me.

I just thought that it was a nice thread to share recommendations.

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

Or read a graphic novel and let your eyes feast on the realm conceived by the artist. Also graphic novels are a gateway to 'proper books' for children who are reluctant readers. Book snobbery is pathetic.

Don't encourage him. Apparently it's a view he doesn't have but just wants to stir it up as he messaged me.

I just thought that it was a nice thread to share recommendations. "

Ah thanks. In that case another recommendation of mine is any of the Calvin & Hobbes collections. They're all short strips rather than a novel but clever artwork and a wonder mixture of funny and poignant.

over a year ago

I just thought that it was a nice thread to share recommendations. "

Said the man admitting to stirring shit up...you assumed I've never read one, I never stated that fact, we all grew up reading comics...your ignorance comes from the fact that I didn't.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Terminator: The Burning Earth, #1–5 (Mar – July 1990)

N-I-L-8.

(ANNIHILATE!)

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

I just thought that it was a nice thread to share recommendations.

Said the man admitting to stirring shit up...you assumed I've never read one, I never stated that fact, we all grew up reading comics...your ignorance comes from the fact that I didn't. "

COMICS KILL ILITERACY!

Should I say audiobooks and podcasts are lazy too? You can't read and drive, plus they have musical sores and these soundtracks add to the story.

Try watching the opening scenes of Top Gun with no sound on: you lose half the story.

Each page is a work of art.

By *hGlobbitsMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"V for Vendetta is a good one. The art is a little dated but the story is still fantastic.

LvM"

Phenomenally good comics. I can't believe how badly the movie version missed the point.

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

Interesting point, does anyone have a favourite illustrator? Always liked Carlos Ezquerra, something about his sometimes rough style really adds to a story

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

"V for Vendetta is a good one. The art is a little dated but the story is still fantastic.

LvM

Phenomenally good comics. I can't believe how badly the movie version missed the point."

I agree, but in their defence it was a very densely packed story

By *hGlobbitsMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I've just finished scarlet traces, a steam-punk sequel to HG Wells war of the world's. Lots of little nods to those of us who have grown up through the 70's and 80's with features and character names and places. "

Scarlet Traces is ace. If you enjoyed that, definitely check out Kindgom of the Wicked, by the same creators.

By *imjohnCouple
over a year ago

Clacton on sea, Essex

The Conan omnibus collection are good, each graphic novel is over 500 pages and the are several in this collection but 100's of of Conan graphic novels.

I collect Marvel, DC, Dark Horse also many other comic labels.

I started collecting Marvel comics years ago and got into digital comics about 5 years, my actual real comic collection is in separate plastic bags and having them on digital means I ain't got to put any wear and tear on the originals.

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

I have considered getting some digital ones but somehow I don't think I'd like it

By *eiaorganaWoman
over a year ago

Dundee

Currently reading Umbrella Academy, Chew and Rivers of London

over a year ago

I’m guessing you’ve never read Maus

By *luffyrabitCouple
over a year ago

Catterick Garrison/ Stockton

Elf quest is good

By *cottishVikingBearMan
over a year ago

N. London

I've been a fan of Fable for years

By *eneralKenobiMan
over a year ago

North Angus

I’ve Secret invasion to get round to reading, it’s apparently very good I’m just lazy

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

We3 by Grant Morrison.

The characters consists of a dog, "Bandit" a.k.a. "1"; a cat, "Tinker" a.k.a. "2"; and a rabbit, "Pirate" a.k.a. "3".

They are heavily armed and tooled up cyber-assassins. It's like Watership Down meets Tarantino.

By *ershingMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Dunno if its been mentioned yet, but Batman, a death in the family is a classic!

over a year ago

We3 is amazing, why it hasnt been turned into a movie I do not know.

The League of Gentlemen graphic novel series is great

I Hate Fairyland is fun

over a year ago

"We3 by Grant Morrison.

The characters consists of a dog, "Bandit" a.k.a. "1"; a cat, "Tinker" a.k.a. "2"; and a rabbit, "Pirate" a.k.a. "3".

They are heavily armed and tooled up cyber-assassins. It's like Watership Down meets Tarantino."

Just posted We3; it is amazing. Should have been made into a movie

over a year ago

My husband is currently reading TMNT The Last Ronin.

By *eneralKenobiMan
over a year ago

North Angus

"My husband is currently reading TMNT The Last Ronin."

That’s a good read

over a year ago

"Batman: The killing joke "

Class

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

The Churchill Factor by one of your favourite authors not Enid Blyton or Agatha Christie but

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"The Churchill Factor by one of your favourite authors not Enid Blyton or Agatha Christie but "
I mean Churchill was a randy bugger

By *ycanNightsMan
over a year ago

Workington

Preacher and Hellblazer I haven't spotted Being mentioned

But also endorse Watchmen, V for Vendetta, killing joke, ... basically anything by Alan Moore

Post new Message to Thread