Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

times are changing

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was sad today when I noticed that my local supermarket is open on boxing day. I remember when shops used to shut for both Christmas day and boxing day. When people had propper time off of work.

I feel sad that big companies are just chasing. The money and good old values are being lost.

Is this a good or bad thing?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

sign of the times sadly

over a year ago

some people rely on double pay now...comes with it being such a commercial time

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

Don't go shopping on the days you feel the shops should be closed, i think it's great as can shop when i like. Z

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"some people rely on double pay now...comes with it being such a commercial time"

Some people have it in their contract, and therefore don't get double time.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Some people aren't capable of planning two days in advance. You wouldn't want them to starve, would you?

over a year ago

You could argue that people who don't celebrate Christmas are forced to reserve valuable holiday for times of the year that they'd rather not be forced to take off. If there was a drive to identify workforce members who don't mind working over Christmas because they're not particularly bothered about it then it would please everyone, don't you think?

over a year ago

"Don't go shopping on the days you feel the shops should be closed, i think it's great as can shop when i like. Z"

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Maybe there's a case for followers of certain religions which don't do Christmas being forced to work on 25th/ 26th Dec.

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"Don't go shopping on the days you feel the shops should be closed, i think it's great as can shop when i like. Z

"

lol - it ain't rocket science!xx Z

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"I was sad today when I noticed that my local supermarket is open on boxing day. I remember when shops used to shut for both Christmas day and boxing day. When people had propper time off of work.

I feel sad that big companies are just chasing. The money and good old values are being lost.

Is this a good or bad thing? "

Where I come from family life is precious and shops remain closed on Sundays. And while sometimes I am glad I can shop anytime I like overhere... I can see where those against constant opening hours are coming from.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I don't think it has been a good thing overall. The biggest leisure activity in this country now is shopping. There isn't a family friendly day left.

The Olympic experiment of extending opening hours (which required an Act of Parliament) has shown that retailers' costs went up and takings didn't rise to meet those costs. Instead people spread their shopping time over the longer hours.

over a year ago

i like the 24 7 society..

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

"Maybe there's a case for followers of certain religions which don't do Christmas being forced to work on 25th/ 26th Dec."

or perhaps,it would be better to negotiate,and try to arrange the holidays,so people of certain religions,can have their holidays,on days that are significant to their religion.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"i like the 24 7 society..

"

I think the 24/7 society has made people impatient. They get disproportionately angry when they can't get something the very second they want it

over a year ago

I hate it, too many people I know have to work on Boxing Day (and every other bank holiday) when they'd rather be with their children and other loved ones!! I understand there are some jobs that will always need on duty staff like the emergency services but shops simply shouldn't open on bank holidays (nothing to do with religion most of the time) and they definitely shouldn't open on Sundays!!! Give people time with their families - it's the one thing they can't buy for themselves!!

R x

over a year ago

"Maybe there's a case for followers of certain religions which don't do Christmas being forced to work on 25th/ 26th Dec.

or perhaps,it would be better to negotiate,and try to arrange the holidays,so people of certain religions,can have their holidays,on days that are significant to their religion. "

That would mean most of the country would claim to be ecumenical - best to stick to one lot of national holidays I think!

R x

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"! Give people time with their families - it's the one thing they can't buy for themselves!!

R x"

Could not agree with you more. Family is the root of society!

over a year ago

"I was sad today when I noticed that my local supermarket is open on boxing day. I remember when shops used to shut for both Christmas day and boxing day. When people had propper time off of work.

Is this a good or bad thing? "

I love it. I spent all of Christmas Day in my local garage, buying Marmite and road atlases.

Post new Message to Thread