FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What was the turning point of World War 2 ?

Jump to newest

By *ryan... OP   Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

Was it Stalingrad, Hiroshima, Battle of Britain, Hitler's invasion of Russia ?.

I think Hitler invading Russia then splitting his army was a turning point.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Battle of Britain. Failure to capture all of Europe starved his army, due to poor supply lines. Epic mistake invading Russia in winter.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Dunkirk. Failure to capture British commonwealth forces. Thus eliminating the Western and southern fronts.

Battle of Moscow and not coordinating with Imperial Japan to tie down Siberian divisions.

Stalingrad was the beginning of the end.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Opening up the two fronts and the Battle of Stalingrad, I'd say...... And the entry of our American friends.

By *ryan... OP   Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

"Battle of Britain. Failure to capture all of Europe starved his army, due to poor supply lines. Epic mistake invading Russia in winter."

Didn't the invasion begin 22 June 1941, in summer.. initially usual blitzkrieg tactics but then stalled..!

By *he masked ladyCouple
over a year ago

cork

Battle of Britain and Pearl Harbour.Battle of Britain showed great courage from a few .Also the cowardice of the Irish government under dev remaining neutral! Wtf !if germany had invaded ireland after UK the Irish army would have latest an hour..irishmen who fought in ww2 now only getting recognition..I'm speaking as a proud irishman from the republic

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Invading Russia, and Pearl Harbor

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Battle of Britain. Failure to capture all of Europe starved his army, due to poor supply lines. Epic mistake invading Russia in winter.

Didn't the invasion begin 22 June 1941, in summer.. initially usual blitzkrieg tactics but then stalled..!"

Yeah, but Russian winters start in October. He also failed to listen to his General's, thankfully

By *ansexualPandaMan
over a year ago

Beds - all sorts of beds ;-)

The Axis

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

First notable turning point was the Battle of Britain and the cancellation of Op Sealion.

After that, North Africa. That’s where the Nazi’s really started feeling the pressure.

On the eastern front, Stalingrad and the Battle of Kursk.

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

There are so many that you can't really pick a defining point.

However, I would probably say the moment Hitler took overall control of the army, demanding his generals did exactly as they were ordered.

You could also say their inability to knock out the RAF during the battle of Britain which allowed D day to happen.

Failing to take Moscow, the North African defeat which allowed the assault on Sicily and subsequently the invasion of italy

By *ryan... OP   Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

"Battle of Britain. Failure to capture all of Europe starved his army, due to poor supply lines. Epic mistake invading Russia in winter.

Didn't the invasion begin 22 June 1941, in summer.. initially usual blitzkrieg tactics but then stalled..!

Yeah, but Russian winters start in October. He also failed to listen to his General's, thankfully "

Which sort of brings us up to date as we now hear how Putin cutting off Ukraine power supplies as Ukraine now in severe cold...

By *ryan... OP   Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

"There are so many that you can't really pick a defining point.

However, I would probably say the moment Hitler took overall control of the army, demanding his generals did exactly as they were ordered.

You could also say their inability to knock out the RAF during the battle of Britain which allowed D day to happen.

Failing to take Moscow, the North African defeat which allowed the assault on Sicily and subsequently the invasion of italy

"

...and of course in the battle of Britain many brave Polish airmen fought for us

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Interesting question. I suppose it depends on which theatre of operations you are looking at.

In the Pacific...you could argue it was Midway.

In the Middle East...the arrival of Montgomery.

In Europe....Operation Barborossa (after Hitler and Stalin had signed their treaty)

In the Atlantic...Sonar

Historians still argue about it to this day.

Without Pearl Harbour...he US wouldn't have entered the war. And we'd definitely have been in trouble if they hadnt.

I cant say what the turning point was..

But i truly believe that Germany lost the war....in Germany. Doomed from the start. Hitlers Chief Reich Accountant telling him in 1941 that the Nazis cant afford it.

Too many complicated and varieties of tanks/munitions.

Their obsession with technology. Bigger, heavier.

Poor supply lines. Not many natural resources..especially fuel.

The Germans made so much ground at the start of the war...because they'd been training for years.

Despite them not being allowed an Air Force, they built aircraft which were described as postal or passenger planes...but were in fact trainers for fighter pilots.

The pilots got a lot of combat training with the Condor Legions in Spain during the civil war.

The Army and Luftwaffe also learned to coordinate attacks (Bkitzkrieg) by holding exercises in Russia, as part of the Russian/Soviet Pact...so the West were completely unaware.

over a year ago

Pearl Harbour.

Dunkirk and The Battle of Britain were incredible achievements by a beleaugered nation standing alone, but they were still only delaying actions. It helped that Hitler was distracted by his Russian ambitions but it was the entrance of the US into the conflict that would give Britain breathing space and support, and eventually turn the tide.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

...and of course in the battle of Britain many brave Polish airmen fought for us "

They did indeed, as did Indians, Africans, and other former colonies, which makes me despise people who skirt over their sacrifice

By *angtidy42Couple
over a year ago

Redditch

Dunkirk was the turning point in WW2. Had he not left us a life line then, also allowing the Japanese to for an alliance with Germany, hence the entry of the USA

By *ovespudsMan
over a year ago

Swindon

Second on the left wasn't it

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

Yeah, but Russian winters start in October. He also failed to listen to his General's, thankfully "

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

The invasion of the USSR.

That would never have succeeded on logistical grounds and the Red Army eventually crushed the Wehrmacht. This would have occurred regardless of what us or the Americans were doing in the West.

The Battle of Britain, Dunkirk, they ensured we continued, but in no way brought us closer to victory.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Battle of Britain. Hitler turned his attention East after failing. Other events afterwards were important but that's the earliest one I can think of.

over a year ago

When Hitler turned on his former ally USSR, who he had carved up Poland with in order to seal the alliance.

Pearl Harbor (sic)

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"Battle of Britain. Failure to capture all of Europe starved his army, due to poor supply lines. Epic mistake invading Russia in winter."

There was one point as the war was fought over 4 continents, so that's at least 4 events I can think of, Battle of Britain, Pearl harbour, bombing Japan and the Russian winter.

By *wingamajigsCouple
over a year ago

Folkestone

Probably Hitler stopping bombing airfields and switching to blitzibg cities enabling fightwr command to recover. We were on our knees at rhat time.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

...and of course in the battle of Britain many brave Polish airmen fought for us

They did indeed, as did Indians, Africans, and other former colonies, which makes me despise people who skirt over their sacrifice"

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

When they saved Private Ryan

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

When my Dad joined the Welsh Guards

over a year ago

Pearl Harbor dragging the US into the conflict when the US at the time had a isolationism policy.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

There are numerous things that went against Germany at different points of the war. I don't think it really makes sense to pick out any particular one and label it THE turning point.

Really, Hitler had a few early big breaks, like successfully crossing the Ardennes. Other than those, not a heck of a lot went his way.

I think there were two key terrible decisions Hitler made that devastated Germany: invading Russia, and declaring war on the USA in consort with Japan. That led to the Germans fighting on two fronts against two countries with massive personal and industrial bases. Hitler (fortunately) was a disastrous military tactician and leader.

The UK weren't doing much more than keeping the Germans at bay. These two huge forces were able to push towards Berlin and Germany just couldn't stand up against them in the way they could against just plucky little Britain.

I find the idea of THE Second World War curious too. In a way, the western front was a continuation of the First with a break of 20 years. In another way, the Pacific theatre was an almost entirely separate war from the one in Europe. The allies were the same on one side, but their enemy and objectives were different. The connection was that Germany was nominally allied with Japan, but they never fought together and there was very little connection between them.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"There are numerous things that went against Germany at different points of the war. I don't think it really makes sense to pick out any particular one and label it THE turning point.

Really, Hitler had a few early big breaks, like successfully crossing the Ardennes. Other than those, not a heck of a lot went his way.

I think there were two key terrible decisions Hitler made that devastated Germany: invading Russia, and declaring war on the USA in consort with Japan. That led to the Germans fighting on two fronts against two countries with massive personal and industrial bases. Hitler (fortunately) was a disastrous military tactician and leader.

The UK weren't doing much more than keeping the Germans at bay. These two huge forces were able to push towards Berlin and Germany just couldn't stand up against them in the way they could against just plucky little Britain.

I find the idea of THE Second World War curious too. In a way, the western front was a continuation of the First with a break of 20 years. In another way, the Pacific theatre was an almost entirely separate war from the one in Europe. The allies were the same on one side, but their enemy and objectives were different. The connection was that Germany was nominally allied with Japan, but they never fought together and there was very little connection between them. "

Yes. As someone who studied it (at school!) with much more of a Pacific focus, it's always seemed a bit disjointed.

By *aturefun63Man
over a year ago

Belper

"Pearl Harbor dragging the US into the conflict when the US at the time had a isolationism policy."

Having the US join us was probably the biggest turning point with troops weapons and supplies

By *ryan... OP   Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

"When they saved Private Ryan "

Based on Fritz Nyland,the remaining brother of four,in ww2,who was returned home so all the family was not lost

By *ryan... OP   Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

Alan Turing's cracking of the enigma machines daily changing code was surely a minor turning point

By *rumcouple2013Couple
over a year ago

Tamworth

There wasn’t one key event that turned the war in the Allies favour, more of several different failures and events. Firstly Hilter didn’t want to invade England he had hoped we would role over and not fight. Then as mentioned the Battle of Britain didn’t go as planned and the bombing of civilians only caused us to start what he couldn’t finish. The fact that Rommel failed in Africa and we kept control of the the main shipping lanes also went against him. Then miss timing his invasion off Russia and send his troops in with no winter clothing.

Yes Pearl Harbour brought the Americans into the war which was a big help.

By *ryan... OP   Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

"Dunkirk was the turning point in WW2. Had he not left us a life line then, also allowing the Japanese to for an alliance with Germany, hence the entry of the USA "

In 1918 near the front lines British servicemen Henry Tandey came face to face with Hitler...pointed his gun,saw Hitler was unarmed and injured..waved him on his way..

Henry Tandy was in a British newspaper for previous gallantry,Hitler obtained a copy of the photo and kept it with him for over 20 years, much as you would a parent or child( same as kept Gellies room untouched).

In 1938 Hitler asked Chamberlain to thank Tandy personally.. written records I believe)

I've always believed this is why held back his assault...hoping for a resolution ..

Without any other known logical reason,this to me explains why..

over a year ago

The point where one of Hitler's aides informed him that chaplin grew a similarly styled moustache, just to take the piss out of him.

By *ryan... OP   Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

"The point where one of Hitler's aides informed him that chaplin grew a similarly styled moustache, just to take the piss out of him."

It is known Hitler watched the film at least Three times !

over a year ago

"The point where one of Hitler's aides informed him that chaplin grew a similarly styled moustache, just to take the piss out of him.

It is known Hitler watched the film at least Three times ! "

Yes,just being silly.

By *ryan... OP   Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

"The point where one of Hitler's aides informed him that chaplin grew a similarly styled moustache, just to take the piss out of him.

Yes,just being silly."

and in a twist of irony Charles Chaplain was eventually banned from the USA for Communist support

over a year ago

Yes,just being silly.

and in a twist of irony Charles Chaplain was eventually banned from the USA for Communist support"

Have you read about 'operation paper clip'.. a program america implemented after the war it's quite a read.

over a year ago

I’d say there were two major ones on the European front.

Victory in North Africa (which completely demoralised the Italians, opening up Italy for invasion) and the invasion of the USSR.

Even if operation Barbarossa had managed to take Moscow the Soviet central authority would have moved their HQ, doubled down and the outcome in Russia would have been the same (baring a Nazi Nuclear Deterrent).

In the Pacific, the end of the war in Europe was a massive turning point. The Allies, no long using resources in Europe were able to concentrate efforts on one front.

over a year ago

Yes,just being silly.

and in a twist of irony Charles Chaplain was eventually banned from the USA for Communist support

Have you read about 'operation paper clip'.. a program america implemented after the war it's quite a read."

I'm sure some of the themes in the ww2 film "inglorious basta#ds" are based on this..

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

One major turning point was el Alamien the first time Germany had been defeated on land they never recovered in north Africa leading to the invasions of Sicily and Italy and that countrys capitulation .add in the defeat of the uboats in 1943 and it was all downhill from there

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

The Cavity Magnetron.

Post new Message to Thread