Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Actifed Side Effects

Jump to newest

By *unandgamegeek OP   Man
over a year ago

Bolton

I started taking Actifed a few days ago to help with my congested nose. It definitely helped and I can breath through my nose easier but I did feel some side effects from taking it.

I did feel drowsy at one point a couple of days ago and my nose, mouth and throat were dry yesterday but the worst was that I've trouble sleeping. I would end up waking up at random times of the night feeling hot, having to go to the toilet and it takes me a while to go back to sleep.

Anyone else had these kind of problems after taking Actifed and how long did it take for the side effects to stop?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"I started taking Actifed a few days ago to help with my congested nose. It definitely helped and I can breath through my nose easier but I did feel some side effects from taking it.

I did feel drowsy at one point a couple of days ago and my nose, mouth and throat were dry yesterday but the worst was that I've trouble sleeping. I would end up waking up at random times of the night feeling hot, having to go to the toilet and it takes me a while to go back to sleep.

Anyone else had these kind of problems after taking Actifed and how long did it take for the side effects to stop?"

I don't take meds for anything, that's the only way to avoid side effects I'm afraid but I do get up in the night especially if it rains

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The side effects should stop when you stop taking it

over a year ago

Bolton

"I started taking Actifed a few days ago to help with my congested nose. It definitely helped and I can breath through my nose easier but I did feel some side effects from taking it.

Anyone else had these kind of problems after taking Actifed and how long did it take for the side effects to stop?I don't take meds for anything, that's the only way to avoid side effects I'm afraid but I do get up in the night especially if it rains "

It must be a pain not sleeping well.

over a year ago

Bolton

"The side effects should stop when you stop taking it"

Yeah. I only had one tablet left but got rid of it.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Decongestants often have anticholinergic effects, such as dry mouth/eyes, drowsiness etc.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Anyone else had these kind of problems after taking Actifed and how long did it take for the side effects to stop?I don't take meds for anything, that's the only way to avoid side effects I'm afraid but I do get up in the night especially if it rains

It must be a pain not sleeping well."

naaaa I go to bed early at minute I'm working away, I feel fine

over a year ago

Bolton

Anyone else had these kind of problems after taking Actifed and how long did it take for the side effects to stop?I don't take meds for anything, that's the only way to avoid side effects I'm afraid but I do get up in the night especially if it rains

It must be a pain not sleeping well.naaaa I go to bed early at minute I'm working away, I feel fine "

Ah ok. If it works for you, that's good to hear.

over a year ago

Anyone else had these kind of problems after taking Actifed and how long did it take for the side effects to stop?"

Sounds like a normal night for me

over a year ago

Pseudoephedrine.

Don’t they use this to make meth?

By *mber and FireCouple
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

Whack 2 peeled cloves of garlic up your nose, but half hanging out and leave them there for half an hour (or as long as you can stand it).

It draws all the crap out from your sinuses.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Talk to your pharmacist about it

By *NL Social SpurschickWoman
over a year ago

Social Zone

Might not be the meds at all, just your body’s reaction to the virus.

Being stuffy won’t help sleep, slightly raised temperature causing the hotness. Just as blocked nose likely to cause dry throat / mouth as probably breathing through your mouth more. Drowsiness can also happen as your body is trying to fight the infection.

over a year ago

Bolton

"Might not be the meds at all, just your body’s reaction to the virus.

Being stuffy won’t help sleep, slightly raised temperature causing the hotness. Just as blocked nose likely to cause dry throat / mouth as probably breathing through your mouth more. Drowsiness can also happen as your body is trying to fight the infection. "

I can see that being plausible.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

As I have already explained, the active ingredient in Actifed (pseudoephedrine hydrochloride) has an anti cholinergic action.

From the NHS website on pseudoephedrine:

Common side effects

These common side effects of pseudoephedrine happen in more than 1 in 100 people. There are things you can do to help cope with them:

Feeling or being sick

Headaches

A dry mouth

Feeling restless, nervous or shaky

Difficulty sleeping

Talk to a pharmacist or doctor if the advice does not help and any of these side effects bother you or will not go away.

By *asycouple1971Couple
over a year ago

midlands

I use the cough syrup. Im out 1hr after taking it. Knocks me out.

over a year ago

Bolton

"As I have already explained, the active ingredient in Actifed (pseudoephedrine hydrochloride) has an anti cholinergic action.

From the NHS website on pseudoephedrine:

Common side effects

These common side effects of pseudoephedrine happen in more than 1 in 100 people. There are things you can do to help cope with them:

Feeling or being sick

Headaches

A dry mouth

Feeling restless, nervous or shaky

Difficulty sleeping

Talk to a pharmacist or doctor if the advice does not help and any of these side effects bother you or will not go away."

Ah yes. Sorry, I missed your comment earlier. I'll make sure to see a pharmacist or a doctor if things haven't improved.

Post new Message to Thread