Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sports personalitie 2012

Jump to newest

By *aysean OP   Man
over a year ago

Cardiff

How does everybody feel about seeing bradley wiggins crowned the winner of SPOTY 2012? For me personally he s very worthy winner,although my choice would have been mo farah for the excitement of his 2 races at the olympics,what do you think?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

Winning le tour de france is such a big thing. Then compete few weeks after and win an olympic gold medal is special.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't get all the furore about SPOTY at all. I know it's a major calendar event but it means absolutely nothing to me. Wiggins? Ok, he rode a bike quite well, but so did Hoy & Pendleton. Farah won a couple of golds, but so did a few others, so why him and not them? Murray did something no Brit has done for a while and that was to compete in a Wimbledon final (although he didn't win it) and then he got gold too. The paralympians I felt were on the shortlist as a token gesture to honour those of whom won gold in their own olympics.

If a sporting hero is to be crowned each year then why not pick someone who has done sterling work over decades for no personal glory. The sunday league managers who get out there come rain, wind or shine to keep the team going. Or the junior hockey coaches who do the same thing with their wives who run the tiny little snack bar so the parents can have a hot drink while they watch their 8yo's attempt to belt a ball with a stick in December and get frostbite.

It's all a bit 'oscar-ey' for a bunch of sportpeople to pat another bunch on the back for doing well at something they've strived to do well at.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"I don't get all the furore about SPOTY at all. I know it's a major calendar event but it means absolutely nothing to me... snip"

Well said! Someone get that man a beer on me

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

Wishy,it's the sports personality of the year,the Oscars sports thingy.

Bradley Wiggins was a worthy winner,first.ever.britain,that's hard to beat.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

I understand the "sports" part but I don't get the "personality" part. Having known several professional sportsmen and women over the years (including members of my own family) I can categorically say that none of them have any personality at all.

By *reenonionsMan
over a year ago

Nr Exeter

If you start to analyze the whole thing then yeah, you're going to get conflicting points of _iew.

Wiggo won the tour - he's a great solo TT rider but he's not, in cycling terns, close to the Andy Schleks, Contador or Armstrongs in terms of pure ability - he won it through a team effort and it was fantastic.

For me, Mo should have won it for the iconic image of him in awe having just won - that was really special.

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

"I don't get all the furore about SPOTY at all. I know it's a major calendar event but it means absolutely nothing to me. Wiggins? Ok, he rode a bike quite well, but so did Hoy & Pendleton. Farah won a couple of golds, but so did a few others, so why him and not them? Murray did something no Brit has done for a while and that was to compete in a Wimbledon final (although he didn't win it) and then he got gold too. The paralympians I felt were on the shortlist as a token gesture to honour those of whom won gold in their own olympics.

If a sporting hero is to be crowned each year then why not pick someone who has done sterling work over decades for no personal glory. The sunday league managers who get out there come rain, wind or shine to keep the team going. Or the junior hockey coaches who do the same thing with their wives who run the tiny little snack bar so the parents can have a hot drink while they watch their 8yo's attempt to belt a ball with a stick in December and get frostbite.

It's all a bit 'oscar-ey' for a bunch of sportpeople to pat another bunch on the back for doing well at something they've strived to do well at."

They do honour the type of people you mentioned Wishy. The award is "Unsung Hero" and last night a couple won it who had set up and maintained a sports centre used by many different groups for years.

They've had all sorts of winners from junior league football coaches to the lady whom set up cycling for juniors on the Isle of Man, and was the source where Mark cavendish first discovered his love of bikes.

I agree with you though in the respect of how do you make that shortlist, though I disagree with you about the paralympians whom I thought were on the list on merit and not as a token gesture.

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

"If you start to analyze the whole thing then yeah, you're going to get conflicting points of _iew.

Wiggo won the tour - he's a great solo TT rider but he's not, in cycling terns, close to the Andy Schleks, Contador or Armstrongs in terms of pure ability - he won it through a team effort and it was fantastic.

For me, Mo should have won it for the iconic image of him in awe having just won - that was really special."

I'm not really big on cycling so the name Schleks means nothing to me, but I'd say Wiggins is totally different to Contador and definately Armstrong if for no other reason that he didn't use drugs to win his races - and long may that continue.

over a year ago

Wiggo is like my hero. winning the tour is like andy murray winning all the slams in one year

By *orset manMan
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Jessica Enniss for me on the basis of bottom of the year

over a year ago

"I agree with you though in the respect of how do you make that shortlist, though I disagree with you about the paralympians whom I thought were on the list on merit and not as a token gesture. "

Really? Let's see if one of them makes it onto the shortlist next year when there won't be an olympiad to promote them. Or any athlete come to that.

The 'competition' has been going since 1954 and in 58 only 13 women have won it and only three people (all male) have won it more than once - 2 from the world of Formula 1 (Mansell & Hill), and Sir Henry Cooper from boxing.

2013 doesn't have a major football tournament (although the Champion's League Final is to be held at Wembley in May 2013) nor does it have an Olympic Games (winter or summer), so I predict next year's winner will come from either football or tennis (and that can only mean Murray if he wins Wimbledon)

over a year ago

** 58 years

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

"I agree with you though in the respect of how do you make that shortlist, though I disagree with you about the paralympians whom I thought were on the list on merit and not as a token gesture.

Really? Let's see if one of them makes it onto the shortlist next year when there won't be an olympiad to promote them. Or any athlete come to that.

The 'competition' has been going since 1954 and in 58 only 13 women have won it and only three people (all male) have won it more than once - 2 from the world of Formula 1 (Mansell & Hill), and Sir Henry Cooper from boxing.

2013 doesn't have a major football tournament (although the Champion's League Final is to be held at Wembley in May 2013) nor does it have an Olympic Games (winter or summer), so I predict next year's winner will come from either football or tennis (and that can only mean Murray if he wins Wimbledon)

"

Well I wouldn't really expect Athletes or Para-athletes to b on the list next year preceisely because it isn't an Olympic year. Surely the names on the list were there because of their achievemnets in 2012, so next years list is likely to be a combination of football (If a team wins champions league or womens footballers win the Euro Cup), cricket, cycling, F1 and maybe boxing depending on who achieves what during 2013.

The sportsmen and women whom compete in Olympic events know their time in the spotlight is once every 4 years and this years spotlight was obviously huge with it being a home games and the BBC's highest profile sporting event ever.

On a slightl;y different track, I'd have liked to see Danny Boyle getting some public recognition for the Opening Ceremony too because although it wasn't "sport" it most definately set the tone for the games to come

By *eneral HysteriaMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

"...

They do honour the type of people you mentioned Wishy. The award is "Unsung Hero" and last night a couple won it who had set up and maintained a sports centre used by many different groups for years.

They've had all sorts of winners from junior league football coaches to the lady whom set up cycling for juniors on the Isle of Man, and was the source where Mark cavendish first discovered his love of bikes.

I agree with you though in the respect of how do you make that shortlist, though I disagree with you about the paralympians whom I thought were on the list on merit and not as a token gesture. "

over a year ago

"I understand the "sports" part but I don't get the "personality" part. Having known several professional sportsmen and women over the years (including members of my own family) I can categorically say that none of them have any personality at all. "

Perhaps they use the word “personality” simply to define a none gender specific option that is a step away from the shallow “celebrity” culture that most other achievement based events seem to celebrate….

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I think he did deserve to win but the first inter_iew I thought he was cocky, the acceptance one much better.

a deserved winner.

I voted for others tho

By *ll of a QuiverCouple
over a year ago

Douglas

"I agree with you though in the respect of how do you make that shortlist, though I disagree with you about the paralympians whom I thought were on the list on merit and not as a token gesture.

Well I wouldn't really expect Athletes or Para-athletes to b on the list next year preceisely because it isn't an Olympic year. Surely the names on the list were there because of their achievemnets in 2012, so next years list is likely to be a combination of football (If a team wins champions league or womens footballers win the Euro Cup), cricket, cycling, F1 and maybe boxing depending on who achieves what during 2013.

The sportsmen and women whom compete in Olympic events know their time in the spotlight is once every 4 years and this years spotlight was obviously huge with it being a home games and the BBC's highest profile sporting event ever.

On a slightl;y different track, I'd have liked to see Danny Boyle getting some public recognition for the Opening Ceremony too because although it wasn't "sport" it most definately set the tone for the games to come"

Athletes may still have a chance to be nominated as the World athletics championships are held next year.

By * pool 1Couple
over a year ago

Liverpool

David Weir, Paralympic superhuman he was born with something called a spinal cord transection. My spinal cord was severed. I’ve got some feeling in my lower half, but cannot lock my legs or stand up at all. I needed five operations just to straighten my feet.

London 2012

Gold: 800m

Gold: 1,500m

Gold: 5,000m

Gold: Marathon

MY winner by a mile.

By *aysean OP   Man
over a year ago

Cardiff

"David Weir, Paralympic superhuman he was born with something called a spinal cord transection. My spinal cord was severed. I’ve got some feeling in my lower half, but cannot lock my legs or stand up at all. I needed five operations just to straighten my feet.

London 2012

Gold: 800m

Gold: 1,500m

Gold: 5,000m

Gold: Marathon

MY winner by a mile."

very well said the weirwolf was awe inspiring winning all the events listed+in thrilling style,he would have been in my top 3 and for any other reason then he fully deserved to be i would have liked seeing mo farah win and thats despite being a keen cyclist,but wiggins really was outstanding in what he achieved too so it really was hard to pick just 1 person!! I also agree about a previous comment regarding wiggins he sometimes comes across a little cocky,but seems a good guy overall and definitely has personalitie unlike many bland sportsmen+women

Post new Message to Thread