Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mindfulness

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So I've started threads on mindfulness in the past and they have always been really positive and helpful. So do you do any mindfulness? If so what do you do and has it helped?

Also is mindfulness something you don't really know anything about? Do you have any questions?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rtyIanMan
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

"So I've started threads on mindfulness in the past and they have always been really positive and helpful. So do you do any mindfulness? If so what do you do and has it helped?

Also is mindfulness something you don't really know anything about? Do you have any questions? "

I have diplomas in mindfulness and meditation, and I have done it for several years. It is a wonderful tool to adopt in to a daily routine along with journaling.

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I start each day with a 10-minute meditation, I get them from YouTube music.

I really find that it starts my day off in a really positive way

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I know very little about it. Can you give me a brief overview?

over a year ago

"So I've started threads on mindfulness in the past and they have always been really positive and helpful. So do you do any mindfulness? If so what do you do and has it helped?

Also is mindfulness something you don't really know anything about? Do you have any questions?

I have diplomas in mindfulness and meditation, and I have done it for several years. It is a wonderful tool to adopt in to a daily routine along with journaling."

Sounds like it's really helpful for you.

Any tips you can share?

over a year ago

"I know very little about it. Can you give me a brief overview? "

I will do my best.

Ruby wax is a big advocate of mindfulness and she put it in the most simple and basic terms.

Mindfulness Can be full on meditation or as simple as A stressed out student studying for exams Taking a break and having something to eat but really tasting it, Listening to music but really listening to it.

The very basic principle of mindfulness is being in the moment. Being aware of what is going on right then and right there.

By *eybert77Man
over a year ago

Ramsey

"I know very little about it. Can you give me a brief overview? "

As above really interested about it but know little about it…

over a year ago

"I start each day with a 10-minute meditation, I get them from YouTube music.

I really find that it starts my day off in a really positive way"

Brilliant thank you.

over a year ago

"I know very little about it. Can you give me a brief overview?

As above really interested about it but know little about it…"

I hope my very rudimentary exploration above helps although I'm sure others could do better at explaining it.

By *eybert77Man
over a year ago

Ramsey

As above really interested about it but know little about it…

I hope my very rudimentary exploration above helps although I'm sure others could do better at explaining it. "

That’s great thanks

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

YouTube also has 5 minute meditations, but I really would say if anybody would like to add a little something to their day, when you wake up starting the day with a 5 or 10 minute guided meditation is really helpful.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Mindfulness helped me 100% I'd been very seriously ill with depression..Mindfulness re-sets the brain..

As most people are aware depression generally brings negative thoughts,and Mindfulness helps reverse that way of thinking..

It is a form of meditation really,but really really helps..

By *rtyIanMan
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

I have diplomas in mindfulness and meditation, and I have done it for several years. It is a wonderful tool to adopt in to a daily routine along with journaling.

Sounds like it's really helpful for you.

Any tips you can share? "

The easiest way is with a guided mindfulness exercise or meditation, there are loads of apps these days that you can use and build your practice.

I started of with basic breathwork in which you breathe in for a count of four hold for a count of four breathe out for a count of four hold for four and repeat.

A five-minute session of that is a good starting place and really helps ground you.

over a year ago

"YouTube also has 5 minute meditations, but I really would say if anybody would like to add a little something to their day, when you wake up starting the day with a 5 or 10 minute guided meditation is really helpful."

Definitely. Also doing it at the end of the day can be really helpful too. There are so many differentypes out there is definitely something for everybody. I started really small just doing 1 to 3 minutes.

over a year ago

"Mindfulness helped me 100% I'd been very seriously ill with depression..Mindfulness re-sets the brain..

As most people are aware depression generally brings negative thoughts,and Mindfulness helps reverse that way of thinking..

It is a form of meditation really,but really really helps..

"

Thank you for that I am brilliantly put.

I find it helpful when I'm feeling really rubbish I'm not quite sure why.

By *rtyIanMan
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

One thing for anyone to remember is that it is not about emptying the mind of thoughts, as you do the basic breathing exercises focus on the breath, as your mind wanders as it will just acknowledge the thought and go back to focussing on the breathing

By *eybert77Man
over a year ago

Ramsey

Just found that there is an app on the iwatch (used to be called breathe) I’ll have to start wearing it again!

over a year ago

"Just found that there is an app on the iwatch (used to be called breathe) I’ll have to start wearing it again!"

Yes and on fitbits

You can also ask Alexa for a quick mindfulness practice.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I will do my best.

Ruby wax is a big advocate of mindfulness and she put it in the most simple and basic terms.

Mindfulness Can be full on meditation or as simple as A stressed out student studying for exams Taking a break and having something to eat but really tasting it, Listening to music but really listening to it.

The very basic principle of mindfulness is being in the moment. Being aware of what is going on right then and right there. "

Thank you. It seems I try to do this without knowing what it was called. It's not always easy or even possible though

over a year ago

I will do my best.

The very basic principle of mindfulness is being in the moment. Being aware of what is going on right then and right there.

Thank you. It seems I try to do this without knowing what it was called. It's not always easy or even possible though "

Agreed. There are a lot of misconceptions about mindfulness and as someone pointed out before it's not about clearing your mind.

I use one mindfully a lot. That's about focusing on one task at a time, so if I'm cooking dinner I focus on chopping the carrots for example rather than in my mind planning the rest of my week. It's useful to do during mundane tasks that we are familiar with and know what we are doing because that's when the mind can wonder.

By *rtyIanMan
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

I will do my best.

Thank you. It seems I try to do this without knowing what it was called. It's not always easy or even possible though

Agreed. There are a lot of misconceptions about mindfulness and as someone pointed out before it's not about clearing your mind.

I use one mindfully a lot. That's about focusing on one task at a time, so if I'm cooking dinner I focus on chopping the carrots for example rather than in my mind planning the rest of my week. It's useful to do during mundane tasks that we are familiar with and know what we are doing because that's when the mind can wonder. "

That’s the thing it can be as simple or as complex as you make it x

By *ittlebirdWoman
over a year ago

The Big Smoke

I’m really glad you started this thread Lorna

I’ve found mindfulness very helpful in my life and I try to live that way everyday now. I find that journaling everyday and just taking my time with answering difficult situations has been an absolute eye opener for me. I have become much more calm and yet stronger for it.

By *humper.Man
over a year ago

northumberland/scotland

Breathing exercises and "what 5 things" (find and describe 5 things around you. Helps get you out of your head and into your surroundings) are 2 really easy and quick ones to help if you're feeling a bit "noisy"

over a year ago

"Breathing exercises and "what 5 things" (find and describe 5 things around you. Helps get you out of your head and into your surroundings) are 2 really easy and quick ones to help if you're feeling a bit "noisy" "

That's a good one to start with.

5,4,3,2,1 is good as well.

It uses all of the senses.

5 things you can see

4 things you can touch

3 things you can hear

2 things you can smell

1 thing you can taste

This one is particularly good if you are in a state of distress or high emotion as it's very good for grounding and bringing you back into the moment.

over a year ago

"I’m really glad you started this thread Lorna

I’ve found mindfulness very helpful in my life and I try to live that way everyday now. I find that journaling everyday and just taking my time with answering difficult situations has been an absolute eye opener for me. I have become much more calm and yet stronger for it. "

Thank you.

I've done a few threads like this over the years and they have always been really supportive and informative.

over a year ago

Thank you for the thread. It’s never something I’ve been any good at, but still willing to read and maybe give it a go.

over a year ago

I have the headspace app and have used it for a few years now. I try to meditate for 10 minutes every day.

C.

over a year ago

"I have the headspace app and have used it for a few years now. I try to meditate for 10 minutes every day.

C. "

I used to use headspace but now much prefer the Calm app. There is a lot of content on it though so I wouldn't say it was necessarily for beginners or casual users.

Post new Message to Thread