Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The world Cup starts today...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

We have had a few threads in the last month or so where many people have said they haven't felt as excited about the world cap as they normally do. Seeing as it starts today and England play their 1st match tomorrow are you more excited now or still pretty flat about it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Not really bothered to tell you truth Lorna, I suppose I'll watch the England games, but David Beckham has made himself look a ....

over a year ago

"Not really bothered to tell you truth Lorna, I suppose I'll watch the England games, but David Beckham has made himself look a .... "

Are you normally though?

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Normally what?

over a year ago

"Normally what?"

Bothered about the world cup? Do you feel differently about this one than previous ones.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Normally what?

Bothered about the world cup? Do you feel differently about this one than previous ones. "

I think a lot of people do, even Sepp Blatter admitted it was a mistake handing it to a "Country" with no regards to human rights

By *alty surpriseMan
over a year ago

Uttoxeter

We had a sweepstake at work and I got Iran...so my interest has deflated even more

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

We were talking about this yesterday.

Neither of us feel as enthused as normal about the Worl Cup.

Maybe it's the controversy, maybe the timing, it's just not inspiring us.

Past World Cups I've gone out of my way to watch certain games. This time round I'll watch it if I'm home and it's on.

Winston

By *akeanyoneMan
over a year ago

LH

The usual excitement i would normally feel is nowhere to be seen. Maybe that'll change once England play. However I'm not expecting much from England due to the temperatures out there.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Not really bothered to tell you truth Lorna, I suppose I'll watch the England games, but David Beckham has made himself look a .... "

What has he done?

By *asycouple1971Couple
over a year ago

midlands

Normally watch it and mark out the big matches but not this year.

Timing and the location all wrong.

Avoiding it

By *mandajane01TV/TS
over a year ago

Ballymena

Totally not interested in a bunch of overpaid prima-donnas rolling around in fake agony, abusing the referee, supported by a bunch of idiots prepared to pay through the nose. Just my opinion

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

I don't have a dog in the race so I'm not really invested in it.

Unlike most of the last 4 or 5 competitions though I will be able to watch in work if the notion takes me.

It's a stupid exercise in sports washing that will have consequences long after it's over.

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

I’ll watch it because I love sport but I’m not as interested as i was for the last two major tournaments

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

"Totally not interested in a bunch of overpaid prima-donnas rolling around in fake agony, abusing the referee, supported by a bunch of idiots prepared to pay through the nose. Just my opinion "

Fist of all - clearly you don’t go to major tournaments. Every major tournament you pay over the odds. Even in central Manchester on match day the hotels are double / triple price - it is supply and demand.

First off all - you can still pay for things cheaply if you’re willing to look around use supermarket / markets for food. All transport other than taxi’s are free in doha

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

"Totally not interested in a bunch of overpaid prima-donnas rolling around in fake agony, abusing the referee, supported by a bunch of idiots prepared to pay through the nose. Just my opinion "

But that could be Football, Strictly, Jungle.........

By *iss KinkWoman
over a year ago

North/Blackpool

I hate football

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

If all UK teams get knocked out in the first rounds then that would be an added bonus as at least then I won't have to listen to folk going on about it!

Underachieving bell ends.

P.s. I hate the so called game too.

Mr.

By *asilyled1Man
over a year ago

ogmore valley

First time in my lifetime wales have qualified so looking forward to it Lorna

over a year ago

Normally quite enjoy the World Cup and Euros, however with the location, attitudes of the country, mixed in with Englands garbage squad, dreadful results in recent months I am not bothered one way or another.

over a year ago

"Totally not interested in a bunch of overpaid prima-donnas rolling around in fake agony, abusing the referee, supported by a bunch of idiots prepared to pay through the nose. Just my opinion

But that could be Football, Strictly, Jungle........."

I'll definitely watch Football Strictly Jungle. When's it on?

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

When does it finish???

By *ltra72Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

I’m still not excited about it, which I usually am by now. Maybe once it gets going I’ll get into it, as a English man living in Scotland I need to keep a low profile

over a year ago

"When does it finish???"

The football never ends.

over a year ago

over a year ago

"Totally not interested in a bunch of overpaid prima-donnas rolling around in fake agony, abusing the referee, supported by a bunch of idiots prepared to pay through the nose. Just my opinion

Fist of all - clearly you don’t go to major tournaments. Every major tournament you pay over the odds. Even in central Manchester on match day the hotels are double / triple price - it is supply and demand.

First off all - you can still pay for things cheaply if you’re willing to look around use supermarket / markets for food. All transport other than taxi’s are free in doha

"

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"When does it finish???"

When the hurly burlys done

over a year ago

I am very excited about it. I am an avid football fan, plus one of Leicesters players is in the squad.

I wish it was being held in another country though.

I will watch a lot of the games on tv or listen on the radio.

over a year ago

I'm very undecided about it. I would like to boycott it because of everything surrounding it. But my native Wales are in it for the first time in ages, so I feel like I need to keep up with it

over a year ago

The way England have played lately, I don’t think I’ll bother watching, the womens team have more balls than the mens and play with pride

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

Looking forward to masterclasses in theatrical diving by South American teams and backwards passing by England.

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

"The way England have played lately, I don’t think I’ll bother watching, the womens team have more balls than the mens and play with pride "

Perhaps it the lack of balls that's giving them the edge?

By *ananas2013Man
over a year ago

wolves

"When does it finish???"

ha ha not soon enough

over a year ago

You wouldnt think so considering the lack of hype i saw more excitement about halloween altho probly cos the season only paused last week

over a year ago

This will be known as the forgotten world Cup....we have fan zone in Manchester to watch it on a big screen....in the middle of November....8c tomorrow...get yer t-shirts on and have a cold beer

Fuck off world cup

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

stockport

Looking forward to the women's World Cup more.

over a year ago

It's a fake, corrupt World Cup. Have very little interest. Roll on the next Euros for a proper tournament again.

over a year ago

Bunch of overpaid underwear models running around trying not to mess thier hair up for 90 minutes and then find any excuse for not winning anything since 1966...Yeah I'll pass.

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

I’m a football fan and a season ticket holder at my club. I can’t summon any enthusiasm for this tournament though, I’m not sure why. It’s probably a mix of several factors

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

"First time in my lifetime wales have qualified so looking forward to it Lorna "

This! I have no interest in football as a game, but I’ll always support a Welsh team, and our boyo’s have done well to make it!

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

[Removed by poster at 20/11/22 09:54:36]

By *hedark_knightMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I think the timing of it is really odd. Which makes it hard to get excited for, the location doesn’t help either, just seems pretty random. I’ll be watching the games, when I can, but it doesn’t seem like many are as excited for it this time round.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Still pretty flat about it and not sure if the games will live up to expectation either. Might hate-watch it but will definitely give more games a miss than I normally would and just watch the England matches

By *KG12Couple
over a year ago

Burnley

Agree with what many have said already. The timing of the tournament is unprecedented, leaving little time for any real build up.

Watching the games in winter as opposed to over a bbq in the garden or in a beer garden doesn't help.

I'll watch, as its the world cup, but no excitement, yet.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Wonder of the crowds not being full of pissed and stoned England fans will make it a better experience.?

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

"Wonder of the crowds not being full of pissed and stoned England fans will make it a better experience.? "

Just had a look through mates social media, they clearly are pissed up and I will be as well

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Wonder of the crowds not being full of pissed and stoned England fans will make it a better experience.?

Just had a look through mates social media, they clearly are pissed up and I will be as well "

Go for it.

By *olarbear73Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Pretty indifferent tbh

By *ot-AshMan
over a year ago

London

I will be hoping Ecuador thrash Qatar in today's opening WC match..

I haven't seen any flags on cars or vans like you normally do when England are playing in a big tournament.

Even the local pub doesn't have any boards outside trying to entice with a special offer to watch the matches inside....

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

I'm definitely not as excited as I would be normally. Ignoring all the politics (and Qatar is of course a terrible choice for all kinds of reasons, as was Russia), it's the timing which is massively discombobulating, and the impact on the domestic season. But I'll be watching...

over a year ago

Slightly off topic but what is with the sports bras that men wear these days (or is it a sports bro- Seinfeld fans will understand)

Did they look at why the women are successful and thought that's the key difference?

over a year ago

"Slightly off topic but what is with the sports bras that men wear these days (or is it a sports bro- Seinfeld fans will understand)

Did they look at why the women are successful and thought that's the key difference?"

I think they are measuring devices such as heart rate, where they run to etc

By *ena AmourTV/TS
over a year ago

Chard

"We have had a few threads in the last month or so where many people have said they haven't felt as excited about the world cap as they normally do. Seeing as it starts today and England play their 1st match tomorrow are you more excited now or still pretty flat about it? "

It will be interesting to see opinion if England win it.

By *ena AmourTV/TS
over a year ago

Chard

"Slightly off topic but what is with the sports bras that men wear these days (or is it a sports bro- Seinfeld fans will understand)

Did they look at why the women are successful and thought that's the key difference?

I think they are measuring devices such as heart rate, where they run to etc"

Exactly this, its all about data. But I want one now

over a year ago

And a bra was the only way to package it?

Looks absolutely ridiculous but I suppose it goes with their silly haircuts and dress sense.

over a year ago

exactly this its health analitics how many sprints meters run heart rate and such things

over a year ago

"When does it finish???"

18th December I think.

over a year ago

"Still pretty flat about it and not sure if the games will live up to expectation either. Might hate-watch it but will definitely give more games a miss than I normally would and just watch the England matches"

Ash has said something similar.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Looks absolutely ridiculous but I suppose it goes with their silly haircuts and dress sense. "

. How would you suggest to safely wear devices to measure heart rate and gps tracking and transmitting and power for such devices?

over a year ago

Did they look at why the women are successful and thought that's the key difference?"

Seinfeld

over a year ago

"Wonder of the crowds not being full of pissed and stoned England fans will make it a better experience.? "

I thought they were keen on stoning in Quatar ?

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I'll watch it. If I'm in and it's on. Might even enjoy learning something about another country and culture. Sunshine and sport...

over a year ago

Looks absolutely ridiculous but I suppose it goes with their silly haircuts and dress sense. "

You don't like football and footballers then ?

over a year ago

"I'll watch it. If I'm in and it's on. Might even enjoy learning something about another country and culture. Sunshine and sport... "

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Wonder of the crowds not being full of pissed and stoned England fans will make it a better experience.?

I thought they were keen on stoning in Quatar ?"

Oh very good sir.

over a year ago

"I'll watch it. If I'm in and it's on. Might even enjoy learning something about another country and culture. Sunshine and sport...

"

I think we have learned quite a lot about this country's culture and I don't like a lot of it.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I'll watch it. If I'm in and it's on. Might even enjoy learning something about another country and culture. Sunshine and sport...

I think we have learned quite a lot about this country's culture and I don't like a lot of it. "

Have you though? Have you ever been? Spoken to a Qatari?

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Not really bothered to tell you truth Lorna, I suppose I'll watch the England games, but David Beckham has made himself look a ....

What has he done?"

Well as an ambassador for England, he refused to talk to the media when apparently questioned about his role there

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

I have absolutely no interest in the world cup.

over a year ago

What time ?

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

Well I was very excited for the opening ceremony, but the football bit I can live without

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

"What time ? "

Tomorrow at 1pm. It's coming home!

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Not really bothered to tell you truth Lorna, I suppose I'll watch the England games, but David Beckham has made himself look a ....

What has he done?

Well as an ambassador for England, he refused to talk to the media when apparently questioned about his role there"

Did they pay him?

By *tylebender03Man
over a year ago

Manchester

I know world cups are for everyone but if you truly love football you know how special a World Cup is and can’t help but get excited for it. I really don’t like the fact it’s in Qatar but once the whistle blows it’s all about what’s happening on the pitch

over a year ago

I think the timing is what is doing everyone in. It should be in the summer, not in the run up to Christmas. Stupid time for it.

over a year ago

I don't think Ecuador read the script.

Winston

over a year ago

"I don't think Ecuador read the script.

Winston "

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

stockport

Well done Ecuador. Hope Qatar get knocked out from the group stage

over a year ago

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand..... we're off and running.

Good start, shame about the penalty though.

Winston

over a year ago

Looking forward to the Scotland game later. Anyone know what time it’s on?

(Scots : save this message to mock me and laugh when England inevitably lose on penalties at some point in the next few weeks )

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

What has he done?

Well as an ambassador for England, he refused to talk to the media when apparently questioned about his role there

Did they pay him? "

£150m

By *handlerMonicaCouple
over a year ago

Leicester

I enjoyed the game, but was nowhere near as excited and engaged as I would normally have been, just sat at home watching while keeping half an eye on incoming EMails & slacks. Had it been in the summer, would definitely have been out in a bar watching all 3 games.

On the plus side, I won't wake up tomorrow feeling rough as....

By *d59michelleTV/TS
over a year ago

walsall

Fans queuing outside due to the ticket/ app problems not a good start

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

[Removed by poster at 21/11/22 17:19:58]

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

What has he done?

Did they pay him?

£150m"

To be an ambassador for England? I thought he was representing the Qatar world Cup?

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

What has he done?

Did they pay him?

£150m

To be an ambassador for England? I thought he was representing the Qatar world Cup? "

I know. but obviously Phil Neville wouldn't have got out of bed for that

By *oroRick1027Man
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Do we really need the coverage to start an hour before kick off?

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Do we really need the coverage to start an hour before kick off?"

There are some interesting and insightful comments beforehand

over a year ago

I enjoyed either listening to or watching the games today. Pleased for both England and Wales

Post new Message to Thread