Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

3 peaks challenge 2023

Jump to newest

By *J45 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Birmingham

Hi I've signed up for the 3 peaks challenge next year and has anyone done it previously and any advice on any specific training I need to do

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've never done it and to be honest I have no intention. Sounds like an amazing challenge though and I hope you do well and get the advice you are looking for.

By *J45 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I've never done it and to be honest I have no intention. Sounds like an amazing challenge though and I hope you do well and get the advice you are looking for. "

Thankyou

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

I’ve climbed them all individually.

I’d say comfortable gear and stamina/fuelling/hydration are the biggest things. Scafell Pike and Nevis are pretty bouldery at the top and so rough underfoot. There’s a good chance that some or all of the summits will be clagged in and potentially climbed in the dark.

It’s a big day out, and I’d really recommend training on rough and steep ground. Try your gear out in less-than-ideal conditions and come up with coping strategies.

You might want to try out walking poles as they help take the pressure off your knees when descending.

There’s usually snow on the top of Nevis.

By *J45 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I’ve climbed them all individually.

I’d say comfortable gear and stamina/fuelling/hydration are the biggest things. Scafell Pike and Nevis are pretty bouldery at the top and so rough underfoot. There’s a good chance that some or all of the summits will be clagged in and potentially climbed in the dark.

It’s a big day out, and I’d really recommend training on rough and steep ground. Try your gear out in less-than-ideal conditions and come up with coping strategies.

You might want to try out walking poles as they help take the pressure off your knees when descending.

There’s usually snow on the top of Nevis. "

I know at least one of the peaks will be a night climb and thanks for the tip regarding climbing pole been told already its hard on the knees

By *N4funCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

Buy a weighted vest and train on steep ground like the Yorkshire 3 peaks. Keep pushing the PB, when you come to do the you'll of been training 10kgs heavier.

Good look, are you on one of the coaches or being driven?

By *J45 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Buy a weighted vest and train on steep ground like the Yorkshire 3 peaks. Keep pushing the PB, when you come to do the you'll of been training 10kgs heavier.

Good look, are you on one of the coaches or being driven?"

We're being driven to each of the peaks and thanks for the tip regarding weighted vests

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The Yorkshire 3 peaks or 'the' 3 peaks, Ben Nevis, Scaffell and Snowdon?

Whichever you do get in lots of stamina training, serious hill walking none are easy and some bloody good boots that are well broken in. My mate did the 3 peaks he also said a good driver is never so they could sleep between climbs!

By *J45 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"The Yorkshire 3 peaks or 'the' 3 peaks, Ben Nevis, Scaffell and Snowdon?

Whichever you do get in lots of stamina training, serious hill walking none are easy and some bloody good boots that are well broken in. My mate did the 3 peaks he also said a good driver is never so they could sleep between climbs! "

Ben nevis, scafell and snowdon usually do weight training so presuming need to change my training routine

Post new Message to Thread