Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Loss of anonymity and paranoia

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if anyone can relate but I'm interested to know your thoughts. Some of us, for one reason or another, like to maintain a certain level of anonymity on here, whether it's because of work, family or just people in general. Have you ever felt like someone on here may have broken that anonymity? In my case, they've friended me, I've shared a face pic with them and it's resulted in them not reciprocating and then blocking me? Interested to hear similar stories.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Hi everyone. I'm not sure if anyone can relate but I'm interested to know your thoughts. Some of us, for one reason or another, like to maintain a certain level of anonymity on here, whether it's because of work, family or just people in general. Have you ever felt like someone on here may have broken that anonymity? In my case, they've friended me, I've shared a face pic with them and it's resulted in them not reciprocating and then blocking me? Interested to hear similar stories."
they knew you so rather than strike up conversation they blocked you it's common here, either that or they just didn't fancy you

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Hi everyone. I'm not sure if anyone can relate but I'm interested to know your thoughts. Some of us, for one reason or another, like to maintain a certain level of anonymity on here, whether it's because of work, family or just people in general. Have you ever felt like someone on here may have broken that anonymity? In my case, they've friended me, I've shared a face pic with them and it's resulted in them not reciprocating and then blocking me? Interested to hear similar stories."

You have probably been corresponding with your next door but one neighbour?

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

People block when they see a face they're not attracted to. Happens all the time.

It's because that's easier for them than sending a 'sorry, you're not for me/us' message.

Nothing sinister and you haven't lost your anonymity unless they go on to do something with that photo.

No need to panic.

A

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

[Removed by poster at 16/11/22 07:51:12]

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"People block when they see a face they're not attracted to. Happens all the time.

It's because that's easier for them than sending a 'sorry, you're not for me/us' message.

Nothing sinister and you haven't lost your anonymity unless they go on to do something with that photo.

No need to panic.

A"

unless of course its your boss

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Things like that happen every day on here and numerous reasons and excuses are given.

Some people use pics and personal info as currency to ingratiate themselves with others or to get revenge on people they feel have annoyed them.

Someone you've only been chatting to for a short while is unlikely to do that and it's more than likely they weren't attracted and it was easier to end contact. First rule is that those that ask for facepics should send one first.

It's more concerning when it's someone you've chatted to for a while because they will often have more to share.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Things like that happen every day on here and numerous reasons and excuses are given.

Some people use pics and personal info as currency to ingratiate themselves with others or to get revenge on people they feel have annoyed them.

Someone you've only been chatting to for a short while is unlikely to do that and it's more than likely they weren't attracted and it was easier to end contact. First rule is that those that ask for facepics should send one first.

It's more concerning when it's someone you've chatted to for a while because they will often have more to share."

Can people do harm via a facepic? In theory yes and it does happen, but I suspect on a tiny scale compared to the number of facepics sent every day.

You've frequently stated its happened to you. It also happened to me many moons ago.

But despite the intent, it did me no harm bar an awkward conversation with my employers because of one simple reason.

The face pic was entirely vanilla. A full body, clothed photo that wouldn't look out of place on Facey.

There are no naked or play photos on here of us showing our faces. Never the twain shall meet.

That way we can't be 100% linked to the profile, the site or even swinging.

It's a policy that has worked for as long as we've been here.

There are easy ways to protect yourself as best you can with a little common sense. Don't mix nude/play shots with face pics. Simple as that.

A

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"Things like that happen every day on here and numerous reasons and excuses are given.

It's more concerning when it's someone you've chatted to for a while because they will often have more to share.

Can people do harm via a facepic? In theory yes and it does happen, but I suspect on a tiny scale compared to the number of facepics sent every day.

You've frequently stated its happened to you. It also happened to me many moons ago.

But despite the intent, it did me no harm bar an awkward conversation with my employers because of one simple reason.

The face pic was entirely vanilla. A full body, clothed photo that wouldn't look out of place on Facey.

There are no naked or play photos on here of us showing our faces. Never the twain shall meet.

There are easy ways to protect yourself as best you can with a little common sense. Don't mix nude/play shots with face pics. Simple as that.

A"

I don't have any facepics on and never have done here. I haven't sent one on any external app in years.

I agree not much can be done with a facepic which is what I said above about it being unlikely a short conversation and pic would lead to anything.

The issues I and numerous others had and some continue to have was with someone who for reasons known only to themselves kept personal details of everyone they had befriended on here.

This was someone I had known for 18 months but when they started to share unsolicited pics and work details of others with me I cut all ties and walked away.

For that reason alone I'm convinced others have been given my details.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Maybe didn't find u attractive? It happens x

over a year ago

"Hi everyone. I'm not sure if anyone can relate but I'm interested to know your thoughts. Some of us, for one reason or another, like to maintain a certain level of anonymity on here, whether it's because of work, family or just people in general. Have you ever felt like someone on here may have broken that anonymity? In my case, they've friended me, I've shared a face pic with them and it's resulted in them not reciprocating and then blocking me? Interested to hear similar stories.they knew you so rather than strike up conversation they blocked you it's common here, either that or they just didn't fancy you "

I can certainly imagine either or both

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"People block when they see a face they're not attracted to. Happens all the time.

No need to panic.

Aunless of course its your boss "

Wouldn't panic me! Have a sneaky feeling one has seen mine by the innuendos I get from him x

over a year ago

"Hi everyone. I'm not sure if anyone can relate but I'm interested to know your thoughts. Some of us, for one reason or another, like to maintain a certain level of anonymity on here, whether it's because of work, family or just people in general. Have you ever felt like someone on here may have broken that anonymity? In my case, they've friended me, I've shared a face pic with them and it's resulted in them not reciprocating and then blocking me? Interested to hear similar stories.

You have probably been corresponding with your next door but one neighbour?"

Hahaha I hope so, she's pretty dishy

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

It could be worse, they could have replied with, sorry but we're related and then blocked you

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

I don't have any facepics on and never have done here. I haven't sent one on any external app in years.

I agree not much can be done with a facepic which is what I said above about it being unlikely a short conversation and pic would lead to anything.

The issues I and numerous others had and some continue to have was with someone who for reasons known only to themselves kept personal details of everyone they had befriended on here.

This was someone I had known for 18 months but when they started to share unsolicited pics and work details of others with me I cut all ties and walked away.

"

We also don't give out work details to random people we meet on here. They don't need to know. The less you share the less damage can be done.

Do people you (you in general) meet for casual sex need to know every detail about you? I can count on just a few fingers those I've met in 14 years that know my real name, what I do for a living and where we live.

I've never understood why people need to know/share so many personal details.

A

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Thats why i dont message people

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

A

We also don't give out work details to random people we meet on here. They don't need to know. The less you share the less damage can be done.

Do people you (you in general) meet for casual sex need to know every detail about you? I can count on just a few fingers those I've met in 14 years that know my real name, what I do for a living and where we live.

I've never understood why people need to know/share so many personal details.

A"

I'm not disagreeing with you. In all the time I've been here there are less than a handful of people who know my real name and only 2 who know what I do for a living.

My point is that for a lot of people including me back then, once you been chatting to someone for a while it's easy to let your guard down when you believe the other person's motives are as genuine as your own and you are supporting them through a difficult time in their lives.

I've learned from my mistakes but some people don't seem to be able to and can't accept that it's someone within their social circle that is creating the difficulties they may find themselves in.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I would have said that was a simple case of that they didn't fancy you OP rather than any malicious intent.

I've shared my face pic occasionally with people when I am hunting and am pretty sure they have been shared with others but, that's the risk you take on a social media platform, dating sites are far worse for mates sharing the what do you think or her pics

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I would imagine some people could identify you from your tattoos?

Post new Message to Thread