Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

A Winter Holiday Recommendation

Jump to newest

By *olmey OP   Man
over a year ago

Koh Lanta

As some of you may know from my Thailand Bound thread, earlier this year I left the UK to come live on the idyllic Southern Thai island of Koh Lanta, and WOW, what a place it is for anybody contemplating a winter holiday away from the UK Blues OK, flights are currently expensive, (though coming down quick), but once you get here, it’s the closest you’ll get to paradise, and even with the £ in the shitty situation it is, you’ll end up spending far less that you expected

What can I tell you about the island?

Well, it’s only a small island that’s currently only accessible by ferry or private boat, (but permission has just been granted to start building a bridge to the island next year), and certainly doesn’t have the in your face sex for sale bars you find in many Thai tourist destination, but what a spot it is to chase away blues.

Accommodation?

You can get great accommodation from 300 Baht, (around £7), a night in a traditional Thai bamboo hut, right through to a 5 star luxury 2 bed villa with a private pool and 24 hours maid service for a good few thousand Baht, but in-between there’s a lot of great small beachside resorts with their own swimming pools and cosy bars offering fantastic little air conditioned bungalows from around 900 Baht, (£21), a night, with my advice here being don’t book somewhere to stay from the UK, just get yourselves here, book in somewhere for your first couple of nights while you find your favoured place to stay, with a few thousand Baht notes waved under the nose of a resort owner almost guaranteeing the best price you could get.

The Beaches?

Koh Lanta is famous for its many beautiful beaches, some like Klong Nin beach, (200 yards from my house), edged by amazing traditional Thai bars and restaurants, while others are more remote, with perhaps 1 or 2 discrete bars close by, with all our beaches being great for swimming and snorkelling off, (I swim in the sea every morning), and at this time of the year you are guaranteed a tan.

The Nightlife?

Over the past month it’s gone from only a few of the beach bars being open, to almost all of them as they open up for the new season, (the season starts from the beginning of December here), with many of them having hosted some fantastic opening parties, the best one for me being the Horizon Bars Halloween launch Party a couple of weeks ago that had one of the best bands I’ve seen or heard for years playing and resulted in a small group of us still drinking and smoking while sat around a fire on the beach as the sun came up

I mention smoking as 420 has been legalised over here in Thailand since earlier in the year and the island, (that’s always had a loose relationship with the herb), has embraced it fully, with the many Rasta themed bars, (most owned by genuine Thai Rasta’s), and their brilliant live reggae bands reflecting an almost Jamaican feel while offering a large selection of 420 products over the bar, along with magic mushrooms, (that are also legal over here), with many of the bars offering their own recipe signature Magic Mushroom drink.

Prices?

OK, the £ is in a shit situation, but the nightlife and eating is still cheap out here, for example a large bottle, (1 pint), of Chang, (a great quality Thai larger), costing around £2.30 and a shot of spirits being the same, and you can get a great meal for under a couple of quid, for example for supper last night I had a really nice Thai Green Chicken curry and rice from the little restaurant at the top of my street and it only cost me 80 Baht, (£1.90).

FAB Fun?

While so far I’ve found no FAB type organised fun on the island, (and there’s no Thai section on the site), that’s doesn’t mean there are no opportunities for sexy fun, with the island having a very laid back almost 60’s free love feel to it, with even at my grand old age me having experience several great encounters since I arrived, and a private party I went to at a 4 star resort last week descending into what I can only describe as an orgy, especially towards the end when everybody ended up in the pool starkers

If anybody has any questions about the island, feel free to give me a shout, with me not being able to think of anywhere better for somebody wanting a great winter great, plus, plus you will be made so welcome by the islander who relying on tourism as they do have been devastated by the COVID travel restrictions and are really looking forward themselves to a great 22.23 season.

Regards,

Holmey

• Admin?

Any reference to 420 products and magic mushrooms here is not meant to encourage use and is there as a statement of fact, that both are now fully legal in Thailand, unlike the UK, so I’d appreciate it that section or this post doesn’t get moderated.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Blackpool?

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

I'm going to canaries not quite as cheap but nevertheless warm

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

For a short break Dubai is perfect this time of year, all the humidity is gone, it’s hot & you can swim in the sea still . There are some nice beaches like La Mer, Hidden beach, Sunset beach, Kite beach, old Dubai via a water taxi , sunrise breakfast at floor 124 of the Burj Khalifa looking over the desert, Sunset in the Burj Al Arab 7 star restaurant ,and a trip up to Ras Al Khama where ‘everything’ goes and climb Jebel Jais. Max 5 days, unless you like shopping

By *olmey OP   Man
over a year ago

Koh Lanta

It would help changing where you live if FAB would accept postcodes not in the UK

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

[Removed by poster at 16/11/22 11:39:02]

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I was in Iceland last March. That was very wintery

Post new Message to Thread