Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mastodon

Jump to newest

By *ack688 OP   Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

There seems to be a huge influx into Mastodon especially migrants from the little blue bird, I was never a twitterer, but I jumped on board this and am slowly figuring it out. Anyone else?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I haven't got to grips with it yet.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Jumped ship when I could see what was happening with the blue one. Takes a bit of working out but I think it is actually better, more diverse as well.

By *ack688 OP   Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

"Jumped ship when I could see what was happening with the blue one. Takes a bit of working out but I think it is actually better, more diverse as well."

It sounds as though it’s generally a kinder place and certainly more left leaning from what people are saying, but again, I can’t compare the two

By *ack688 OP   Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

"I haven't got to grips with it yet. "

Yes, it’s taking me a while too!

over a year ago

It will just be a leftish echo chamber as other platforms are right wing. Twitter is by far most popular and diverse space of its kind and will probably survive Musk's eccentricities.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"It will just be a leftish echo chamber as other platforms are right wing. Twitter is by far most popular and diverse space of its kind and will probably survive Musk's eccentricities."

Maybe a kinder, more leftie place, who knows but that is ok with me. If I want other sources/ environments I usually seek them out so not to be in a political bubble. It seems really a lot kinder.

And I have reservations about Elon....

over a year ago

Is this because God Emperor Elon brought back free speech?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Is this because God Emperor Elon brought back free speech?"
I am not sure if you are asking me but if you are... I have no issue with free speech but I draw a line at hate speech and inciting others to bad actions (like Trump).

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Which will last longer, Twitter or the lettuce?

over a year ago

"Is this because God Emperor Elon brought back free speech?I am not sure if you are asking me but if you are... I have no issue with free speech but I draw a line at hate speech and inciting others to bad actions (like Trump)."

I've always found Twitter to be awful at policing and removing real hate speech. Accounts I follow have had huge problems getting racist and sexist threats and abuse removed and accounts closed. More effort seems to have gone into policing political opinions the twitter hierarchy disagreed with.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I’m just thinking of deleting twit and not moving over. Some of the comments I’ve read really make you question if there is any good left in the World, and who needs that in their life, not me for one! I can’t see that being improved by leaving one platform for another.

over a year ago

"I’m just thinking of deleting twit and not moving over. Some of the comments I’ve read really make you question if there is any good left in the World, and who needs that in their life, not me for one! I can’t see that being improved by leaving one platform for another.

"

I dont actually follow many political accounts on twitter, mostly just science, nature, dogs and puns. Works for me

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Is this because God Emperor Elon brought back free speech?I am not sure if you are asking me but if you are... I have no issue with free speech but I draw a line at hate speech and inciting others to bad actions (like Trump).

I've always found Twitter to be awful at policing and removing real hate speech. Accounts I follow have had huge problems getting racist and sexist threats and abuse removed and accounts closed. More effort seems to have gone into policing political opinions the twitter hierarchy disagreed with."

There was a documented explosion of the n word after Musk took over. I have no idea what that achieves

He cancelled his terrorism monitoring too. But monitoring of his name and banning on that basis has gone up.

#priorities

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Is this because God Emperor Elon brought back free speech?I am not sure if you are asking me but if you are... I have no issue with free speech but I draw a line at hate speech and inciting others to bad actions (like Trump).

I've always found Twitter to be awful at policing and removing real hate speech. Accounts I follow have had huge problems getting racist and sexist threats and abuse removed and accounts closed. More effort seems to have gone into policing political opinions the twitter hierarchy disagreed with.

There was a documented explosion of the n word after Musk took over. I have no idea what that achieves

He cancelled his terrorism monitoring too. But monitoring of his name and banning on that basis has gone up.

#priorities"

I am reassured that I am not the only one who wants him monitored.

By *ack688 OP   Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

I know most people want to keep their fab identity separate from other social media, but if people are looking for new connections on there then I’m happy to give out my mastodon user to people if they message me

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

"I’m just thinking of deleting twit and not moving over. Some of the comments I’ve read really make you question if there is any good left in the World, and who needs that in their life, not me for one! I can’t see that being improved by leaving one platform for another.

I dont actually follow many political accounts on twitter, mostly just science, nature, dogs and puns. Works for me "

I don’t follow any, but I follow a lot of comedians who get a lot of gobshites leaving their opinions everywhere. I ignore them, and don’t actually go on it that often, but it just makes for sad reading when you catch a glimpse of it all.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

#priorities

I am reassured that I am not the only one who wants him monitored. "

If I follow correctly, Musk himself is monitoring and banning people who say mean things about him.

Strong, noble, totally free speech etc

By *ack688 OP   Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

"I know most people want to keep their fab identity separate from other social media, but if people are looking for new connections on there then I’m happy to give out my mastodon user to people if they message me"

Just had it pointed out to me that this was a dumb idea, so, rescinding this.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"I know most people want to keep their fab identity separate from other social media, but if people are looking for new connections on there then I’m happy to give out my mastodon user to people if they message me

Just had it pointed out to me that this was a dumb idea, so, rescinding this."

I think it is a lovely and friendly idea but I, too, would urge caution as you just do not know who might take you up on it and for what reasons.

By *aysOfOurLivesCouple
over a year ago

Chigwell

I fell over at the first screen.. I don’t get why I should pick a Channel. I just don’t get it

over a year ago

#priorities

If I follow correctly, Musk himself is monitoring and banning people who say mean things about him.

Strong, noble, totally free speech etc"

There is tons of mockery and p taking of Musk on Twitter.

over a year ago

It's nothing to do with free speech though. The people that shout the loudest about free speech get very vicious with those that disagree with them tell them they should shut up. Also a lot of people need to remember free speech works both ways.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

#priorities

Strong, noble, totally free speech etc

There is tons of mockery and p taking of Musk on Twitter. "

And plenty of documentation of bans for the same if you're caught

And documentation of fucking up meetings for things like terrorism. But I suppose we need to deal with what's really important, which is Musk's hurt fee fees.

over a year ago

My little corner of twitter is lovely. I had to start again on there as I forgot my password but found most of the people again. If it goes I just wont bother going anywhere else.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Yes! Elon has made a phenomenal contribution to free speech, reduction of hate posting, and guarding against misinformation. Very few other individuals would donate so much of their time and personal wealth in the cause of shutting down the sewers of Twitter and persuading huge numbers of people to move to far kinder and better moderated social media outlets such as Mastodon.

It is an almost unbelievable act of philanthropy for Mr. Musk to have spent more than $40 billion in order to show the world how awful Twitter is capable of being, and let them find that Mastodon and others can improve the global discourse beyond recognition.

Thank you Elon for your act in making the world a better place

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

"

I’ve done this. Just pulled the plug and left it. I don’t think I’d realised just how toxic it had become until I took myself out of it. I won’t be going back.

By *ack688 OP   Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

"I fell over at the first screen.. I don’t get why I should pick a Channel. I just don’t get it"

Mastodon is entirely decentralised and based on share ware, there is no central server running all the users, it is a large number of separate servers, all linked, but all run independently, so no one can make decisions about mastodon as an entity, so you pick a server to align with.

By *aysOfOurLivesCouple
over a year ago

Chigwell

^ so, does picking one server over another give different people, timelines, topics or other? And does one sever have benefits over another?

If not, then I’ll just pick the 1st one listed

If so, can I add multiple servers for extra topics/timelines/people?

Ty.

over a year ago

I still mainly use Twitter but have opened a mastadon account as a back up. Slowly migrating by professional/industry contacts across.

Not leaving Twitter, at the moment, despite some claims, my little corner of the blue bird is unaffected. Perhaps I follow the right people?

I've got mastadon because I can see Twitter going bankrupt and just shutting overnight sooner rather than later. Something I think has been Musks plan all along.

By *ack688 OP   Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

"^ so, does picking one server over another give different people, timelines, topics or other? And does one sever have benefits over another?

If not, then I’ll just pick the 1st one listed

If so, can I add multiple servers for extra topics/timelines/people?

Ty. "

Depending on what you use to view Mastodon, I use the Metatext app, you should see three feeds.

Home which is the people you follow and anything they repost from people they follow

Local, which is people on your server

Federated, which I think is people on servers linked to your server

So,yes, the server you pick can affect what two of your feeds show, but also, one server can block another server if they feel that another server is promoting hate speech or whatever in which case if you are on either of those then you can’t see the other.

You can only be on one server, but you can start anywhere and mover servers if you find a better one.

Otherwise, think of it like an email address, you might have a gmail address, but you can email anyone with a yahoo address.

Post new Message to Thread