Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Basic food shop

Jump to newest

By *gent Coulson OP   Man
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

My average food shop for the month was about £55, there is nothing fancy, no splurging, just what I need to fill my store cupboard and freezer.

Yesterday for near enough the same shop was £65, and because of shortages, some items couldn't get bought, so it would have cost even more.

Currently that's £120 increase per year, and I live on my own.

With basic food cost increasing on a daily basis, have you cut back on what you spend or do you just fill your trolley up without even thinking about how much your shop has increased by.

Have you cut back on certain luxuries and treats that you would normally slip into your basket

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

My supermarket shop also contains toiletries, cleaning products etc, but I have no idea how you spend so little per month.

I must be on double that per week?

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

But, yes, some things have absolutely skyrocketed.

Bottle of pop gone up 50%. Screw that.

By *asycouple1971Couple
over a year ago

midlands

Yep. Only buy what we need.

Shop more at lidl than the big supermarkets.

Buy own brand items rather than luxury brands.

Heinz beans in Tesco are now £1.20, Branston 90p and Tesco 40p.. .big difference.

By *iss KinkWoman
over a year ago

North/Blackpool

I still buy what I want

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We tend to shop in Aldi. I nipped into Tesco last week & spent double what I normally would (there were some books & Xmas stocking fillers in there though).

Back to Aldi with a shopping list!!!

By *arkandlovelyWoman
over a year ago

South Derbyshire

How the hell do you feed yourself on so little?!

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

I buy what I need don't think about cost

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've cut back a bit on going out - one night out (food and drink, etc) less a month covers any basic price increases and I don't really notice the difference.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

My online shop made me double take yesterday. It’s creeping up all over the place.

Heartbreakingly the trainers I collect have gone up £15. They are like the Freddo inflation benchmark to me.

By *uitednbooted2Man
over a year ago

Berkshire

"How the hell do you feed yourself on so little?!"

I was thinking the same. That’s £2.16 a day

By *im RoyleCouple
over a year ago

chester

Realised early after Brexit the food going up and selection down. Now even more so. And I’m not skint but noticing the cost so high. So…example buying Tesco own rice I stash or uncle Ben but thst means shortage of cheaper goods. And…buying for food bank is getting more of an issue….sad sad days in uk

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We've increased our household shopping budget by about £30 and we're still going over it. That does include cleaning and laundry products, pet food and toiletries.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Some items have gone up a bit but some have also almost doubled. It's hard out there for people who are struggling and no sign of getting any better. No doubt you will get those popping in telling everyone to manage with what they have and cam afford but for some people it has become almost impossible on top of all other increases, energy, mortgages, transport and so on. Saad really

By *gent Coulson OP   Man
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

"How the hell do you feed yourself on so little?!

I was thinking the same. That’s £2.16 a day "

I have a vac packer, so meats, yellow label fruit and veg gets portions into single serve portions for the freezer.

I make my own soups,stews, casseroles, chilli and curry they get vac packed.

I scratch make my own bread, pies and cakes/deserts.

I have an app that tracks supermarket prices, so I can always buy the lowest priced items

By *lym4realCouple
over a year ago

plymouth

We started on our store cupboards ages ago and it's now worth more than double what we paid for it ?? but sad days indeed and a very sad state of affairs but then we sort of saw the utter shit show coming and now it's been sped up by various other factors so we did our boy scouts thing and alreaady cut back on stuff but sadly only going to get a whole lot worse and quite shocking how little control our Government has on anything that really matters now and the chickens are coming home to roost ???

over a year ago

Hubby spends about roughly £100+ a week on food, formula,toiletries etc

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

It's not so much the cost of the bigger shops that shocks me, it's going to get milk or bread and a few other bits and how much that has increased. The cost of milk alone has almost doubled in the last year

By *JB1954Man
over a year ago

Reading

I spend on food about £50 a week . Perhaps a bit less. Did shopping this morning. If take out couple items that do not buy weekly or even monthly. Spent £ 23 . I am lucky as have a wholesaler card. Get all meat from there. Last shop cost £90. This after dividing up , some cooking and again dividing up. Gave me 45 meals. So about 6 weeks meals.

over a year ago

I spend about 100 a week but that’s for me and the daughter and 2 cats

Includes cleaning stuff and toiletries too

over a year ago

I’ve noticed my weekly supermarket shop go up by £10-£20. Have also noticed that the value ranges tend to be out of stock more these days too.

over a year ago

"I spend about 100 a week but that’s for me and the daughter and 2 cats

Includes cleaning stuff and toiletries too "

That's roughly what we spend too for 2 adults and one cat. Our shopping budget has gone up slightly however we have just adapted what we buy but we don't go without anything.

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

I saw two onions in a wrapper for £1.30 yesterday. That is 65p an onion! Literally next to those “packaged” onions were a box of open onions for £1 a kg (basically 25p an onion) for the _same_ onions.

Everyone was taking the wrapped ones and then complaining about the price. Of course the wrapped ones are expensive - they are well over double the price for the same thing!!!

I worry about people’s ability to compare apples and oranges - or in this case onion and onions.

Post new Message to Thread