Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

No reply!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Now and then we have internal job vacancies at work. People apply for them, get interviews, then hear absolutely nothing.

They usually find out they didn't get the job when we get an announcement about who did get the job.

We think it is surely courteous to let the applicants know they weren't successful, and also perhaps what they need to improve on. This is internal vacancies, not ones advertised outside the company.

Is this normal, or is it just our company that is ridiculously crap at communication??!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's company crap. Jobs are probably already taken but they have to advertise to seem fair. Hence no replies. Most big company's act this way with internal jobs

over a year ago

At 95 year old surely the only job we can be talking about here is a lollipop lady ?

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Our company recruits internally, each interviewee finds out at the same time whether they've been successful or not and they receive an interview report against the competencies they were interviewed against. Can also request face to face feedback if required and there's a 3 week deadline for results. Might be worth suggesting your company do something similar, I'd be happy to show you a recent board report I received as an example if you wanted to suggest it to your company

over a year ago

You'll probably find that the person who got the job was earmarked for it anyway and told to apply but in the interests of transparency they had to open the field to anyone else who wanted to apply. The outcome was already assured long before the job was advertised though.

over a year ago

"Now and then we have internal job vacancies at work. People apply for them, get interviews, then hear absolutely nothing.

They usually find out they didn't get the job when we get an announcement about who did get the job.

We think it is surely courteous to let the applicants know they weren't successful, and also perhaps what they need to improve on. This is internal vacancies, not ones advertised outside the company.

Is this normal, or is it just our company that is ridiculously crap at communication??! "

Its a crap for moral policy thats what it is!

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"You'll probably find that the person who got the job was earmarked for it anyway and told to apply but in the interests of transparency they had to open the field to anyone else who wanted to apply. The outcome was already assured long before the job was advertised though."

In our company there are "preferred candidate" internal vacancies as well as open vacancies. Folk apply for the preferred candidate ones if they want board experience for that type of job for example - I'd never bother applying against a preferred candidate VN as I'm far too lazy to do all the prep for a nil result

over a year ago

I think its normal practise though I guess it would depend on the post and how many. When we have housing officer posts or management roles, the people who didn't get the job are always told and given feedback if they want it

over a year ago

"At 95 year old surely the only job we can be talking about here is a lollipop lady ?

"

Nepotism is rife in the lollypop lady industry, though discrimination is being phased out, and many lollypop lady's are now men

over a year ago

We have internal jobs too, applicants apply, those who are unsuccessful are informed by letter and then invited for feedback, which is optional

over a year ago

"At 95 year old surely the only job we can be talking about here is a lollipop lady ?

"

I'm the Xmas Star. I stopped counting at 2,000. 95 was the oldest I could put on my profile.

over a year ago

"You'll probably find that the person who got the job was earmarked for it anyway and told to apply but in the interests of transparency they had to open the field to anyone else who wanted to apply. The outcome was already assured long before the job was advertised though."

That sometimes happens, it's fair enough. The thing we're annoyed with is that they (HR and the managers doing the interviews) just don't bother telling the people that had interviews, that they didn't get it.

Just wanted to see if it happens elsewhere or if it's just our company that's crap.

By *aris23Woman
over a year ago

France

I felt awful when I was headhunted to take on a new post and that the post was to be advertised internally too. Knowing several of the other applicants personally and knowing that none of them would get it was not a nice feeling. Employment law sometimes sucks.

Post new Message to Thread