FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

West Coast Ireland

Jump to newest

By *he FAB Social - MCR OP   Couple (FF)
over a year ago

manchester

Helloooo

Me and the Mr are off to Ireland for a few days beginning of December, we’ve got to go to Dublin first for something but then we’ve planned on hiring a car and travelling to the west coast for an explore.

Had anyone been, could you recommend where to stay, where to visit?

Thanks muchly

Pixie

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *anBerksMan
over a year ago

Berkshire

Malahide just down t’road from Dublin is a nice place to stop for a drink and a wander.

Enjoy the trip!

By *anBerksMan
over a year ago

Berkshire

"Malahide just down t’road from Dublin is a nice place to stop for a drink and a wander.

Enjoy the trip! "

Except that’s the East Coast, but hey… whatever

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Westport is a beautiful area. Anywhere in Donegal also but a bit further to travel.

By *eard and BoobsCouple
over a year ago

Portstewart

There are lots of the got filming locations near us as well as one of the oldest distilleries the giants causeway just to name a few near us in northern Ireland

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

Do the wild atlantic way the scenery is unbelievable and I know because I live in the west of Ireland

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

When you're in Dublin I'd recommend Howth, Malahide for that village feel with cute independent shops etc and Portmarnock is lovely if you want a long coastal beach walk. Howth has loads of amazing restaurants, great if you like seafood. Regular boat tours to the small islands and it's just gorgeous and so scenic.

If you're going into town, definitely do the Guinness factory tour... I feel like you kind of have to if you've never been before. You'll have endless options for food, depends on what you like but it's easy enough to have a good walk around. I love Phoenix Park too, but that's more if you just fancy a long walk I think.

All above are super easy to get to on the train and it's a quick journey between each one.

I've not travelled as much around Ireland as I'd like. I've been to Galway and it was insanely beautiful. I think we stayed at The Ardagh which was breathtaking. But I'm sure there are even more wonderful places. I'm sure someone will come along to give advice. It might be worth posting in the Irish section.

over a year ago

manchester

"Malahide just down t’road from Dublin is a nice place to stop for a drink and a wander.

Enjoy the trip!

Except that’s the East Coast, but hey… whatever "

Haaaa! Wrong way eh

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

Do yourself a favour get out of Dublin and its posh suburbs ASAP because its nothing but a tourist trap.

over a year ago

manchester

"When you're in Dublin I'd recommend Howth, Malahide for that village feel with cute independent shops etc and Portmarnock is lovely if you want a long coastal beach walk. Howth has loads of amazing restaurants, great if you like seafood. Regular boat tours to the small islands and it's just gorgeous and so scenic.

If you're going into town, definitely do the Guinness factory tour... I feel like you kind of have to if you've never been before. You'll have endless options for food, depends on what you like but it's easy enough to have a good walk around. I love Phoenix Park too, but that's more if you just fancy a long walk I think.

All above are super easy to get to on the train and it's a quick journey between each one.

I've not travelled as much around Ireland as I'd like. I've been to Galway and it was insanely beautiful. I think we stayed at The Ardagh which was breathtaking. But I'm sure there are even more wonderful places. I'm sure someone will come along to give advice. It might be worth posting in the Irish section.

"

He wants to visit Silco ( I think that’s the place )

I’ve never been to Ireland so want to explore as much as possible!

Thank you

over a year ago

"Do yourself a favour get out of Dublin and its posh suburbs ASAP because its nothing but a tourist trap. "

Still lovely though. X

But definitely better places to see!

over a year ago

manchester

"Do yourself a favour get out of Dublin and its posh suburbs ASAP because its nothing but a tourist trap. "

He’s only there for a work thing on the Friday then Saturday morning we’re off out of it until we fly back Monday afternoon

over a year ago

Galway has some great pubs and restaurants. Some lovely hotels too. Try "The Twelve" just outside Galway. Stunning.

over a year ago

"When you're in Dublin I'd recommend Howth, Malahide for that village feel with cute independent shops etc and Portmarnock is lovely if you want a long coastal beach walk. Howth has loads of amazing restaurants, great if you like seafood. Regular boat tours to the small islands and it's just gorgeous and so scenic.

Thank you "

I've not heard of that! Unless you mean Sligo?

I'm still learning all the names as I've only been here a year. Maybe there is a Silco.

Have an amazing time! A great group on Facebook called Love Ireland which will help you out too with lots of info about the Wild Atlantic Way!

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

"Do yourself a favour get out of Dublin and its posh suburbs ASAP because its nothing but a tourist trap.

Still lovely though. X

But definitely better places to see! "

it's not lovely. The west coast from south kerry up to north donegal there is no place in the world nicer than the scenery the pubs and the people.

over a year ago

I'd avoid Dublin as much as possible, get yourself out to conamara and along the west coast, it's a special place.

over a year ago

"Do yourself a favour get out of Dublin and its posh suburbs ASAP because its nothing but a tourist trap.

Still lovely though. X

But definitely better places to see! it's not lovely. The west coast from south kerry up to north donegal there is no place in the world nicer than the scenery the pubs and the people. "

Alright then! If you say so!

Dublin is a shithole OP have you tried Birmingham instead x

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

Still lovely though. X

But definitely better places to see! it's not lovely. The west coast from south kerry up to north donegal there is no place in the world nicer than the scenery the pubs and the people.

Dublin is a shithole OP have you tried Birmingham instead x "

trust The Irish when we say a place is a shit hole we have a tendency for knowing where the best places to visit in our own country because we have lived here all our lives.

over a year ago

Still lovely though. X

But definitely better places to see! it's not lovely. The west coast from south kerry up to north donegal there is no place in the world nicer than the scenery the pubs and the people.

Dublin is a shithole OP have you tried Birmingham instead x trust The Irish when we say a place is a shit hole we have a tendency for knowing where the best places to visit in our own country because we have lived here all our lives. "

Yeah well most of my family are from here and my partners family have lived here all their life and they'd completely disagree with you, but sure, what do they know.

Peace be with you. X

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

Still lovely though. X

Dublin is a shithole OP have you tried Birmingham instead x trust The Irish when we say a place is a shit hole we have a tendency for knowing where the best places to visit in our own country because we have lived here all our lives.

Yeah well most of my family are from here and my partners family have lived here all their life and they'd completely disagree with you, but sure, what do they know.

Peace be with you. X "

are they from Dublin by any chance because the only other person from Ireland that I have seen agreed with me. If you want to pay stupid prices for hotels, food, drink, and parking by all means go to Dublin.

over a year ago

Everyone knows the west is best, only a dub would say otherwise

over a year ago

manchester

Thank you

I've not heard of that! Unless you mean Sligo?

I'm still learning all the names as I've only been here a year. Maybe there is a Silco.

Have an amazing time! A great group on Facebook called Love Ireland which will help you out too with lots of info about the Wild Atlantic Way! "

No you’re right.. I got it wrong lol x

over a year ago

manchester

Still lovely though. X

Dublin is a shithole OP have you tried Birmingham instead x trust The Irish when we say a place is a shit hole we have a tendency for knowing where the best places to visit in our own country because we have lived here all our lives.

Peace be with you. X are they from Dublin by any chance because the only other person from Ireland that I have seen agreed with me. If you want to pay stupid prices for hotels, food, drink, and parking by all means go to Dublin. "

Chill out… this is a nice friendly thread and no nasty comments are required!!

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

Still lovely though. X

Peace be with you. X are they from Dublin by any chance because the only other person from Ireland that I have seen agreed with me. If you want to pay stupid prices for hotels, food, drink, and parking by all means go to Dublin.

Chill out… this is a nice friendly thread and no nasty comments are required!! "

thats not a nasty comment that's how we talk about Dublin on a regular basis.

over a year ago

He’s only there for a work thing on the Friday then Saturday morning we’re off out of it until we fly back Monday afternoon "

It's a little over 2 hrs on the motorway down to Galway, an hour south along the coast you have the cliffs of moher in Clare . An hour west of Galway is the connemara national park ,kylemore abbey is a good pitstop. If you continue north from there about another hour to Westport, beautiful town with plenty of good eateries and bars. And if you're feeling up to it like to the top of Croagh Patrick to take in the views of Clew bay.All possible in a short break

over a year ago

manchester

He’s only there for a work thing on the Friday then Saturday morning we’re off out of it until we fly back Monday afternoon

It's a little over 2 hrs on the motorway down to Galway, an hour south along the coast you have the cliffs of moher in Clare . An hour west of Galway is the connemara national park ,kylemore abbey is a good pitstop. If you continue north from there about another hour to Westport, beautiful town with plenty of good eateries and bars. And if you're feeling up to it like to the top of Croagh Patrick to take in the views of Clew bay.All possible in a short break "

Brilliant thank you!

I can see a map being drawn up to cram it all in

over a year ago

Galway and sligo are great places to visit

Spanish arch in galway

Rosses point just out of sligo Town is lovely

over a year ago

Great free fab digs pitch

over a year ago

Just an FYI. Remember your visiting the west coast of Ireland in December. The weather can be extremely wet, cold and windy. Not great for sightseeing, hiking etc. Maybe pick somewhere like Galway which has other indoor attractions just incase it's filthy weather outside.But if the weather is clear and dry(it will still be cold) there is some amazing scenery around the Galway, Mayo, Clare areas. Also you said your hiring a car do yourself a favour and sort it out before you arrive don't just rock up and try to hire one. You will get a nasty shock when you see the car hire prices over here and the price you get if you just rock up may cause heart issues.

over a year ago

manchester

"Great free fab digs pitch "

I hope that’s not aimed at me… the man is not a fab person and I never crash at a strangers place lol

over a year ago

manchester

"Just an FYI. Remember your visiting the west coast of Ireland in December. The weather can be extremely wet, cold and windy. Not great for sightseeing, hiking etc. Maybe pick somewhere like Galway which has other indoor attractions just incase it's filthy weather outside.But if the weather is clear and dry(it will still be cold) there is some amazing scenery around the Galway, Mayo, Clare areas. Also you said your hiring a car do yourself a favour and sort it out before you arrive don't just rock up and try to hire one. You will get a nasty shock when you see the car hire prices over here and the price you get if you just rock up may cause heart issues. "

We’re kitted out for the weather.. and he’s sorting the car this weekend so we’re all good on those points

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Helloooo

Me and the Mr are off to Ireland for a few days beginning of December, we’ve got to go to Dublin first for something but then we’ve planned on hiring a car and travelling to the west coast for an explore.

Had anyone been, could you recommend where to stay, where to visit?

Thanks muchly

Pixie "

port rush is lovely rope bridge, harbour and a beach

over a year ago

Get yourself off to the Cliffs of Moher or Dingle or the Ring of Kerry. Killarney is a great place to stay, always very lively.

By *uriousVoyeurMan
over a year ago

Northside

While you're in Dublin definitely do some of the sights here. Then head west and base yourselves in Galway. Some of the most beautiful places in the country are only 1-2 hrs drive away. Despite the gobshite comments above about Dublin being a shithole,it's actually a great place to live but like any major city it has its problems. Ireland is very expensive regardless of where you are so plan accordingly. Hope ye have a great time!

By *adger BrocMan
over a year ago

Co. Cork

Thank you "

Ah yes. The 33rd county Silco.

Beautiful place...full of comely maidens dancing at the crossroads to music being played by leprechauns.

By *asual777Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

From west of Ireland here

Galway city : shop street and west end for pubs and restaurants

Connemara ; clifden for the vibe , ballynahinch castle , Connemara National park , Kylemore abbey , roundstone village

Post new Message to Thread