Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Are you proud

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I get nearly all my clothes from charity shops and someone at slimming has just given me a massive bag of clothes im in my element. Are you happy with cast offs or doesn everything have to be new.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Doesnt bother me either, recycle thays what I say xx

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

I don't tend to buy a lot from chaity shops, but have had some real bargains.

Nothing wrong with hand me downs, as my Mum used to call em. Due to circumstances a friend of mine recently gave me bags full of designer clothes,shoes and handbags. I was like a kid in a sweety shop. What I didn't keep was given to our local hospice shop with stuff that I cleared out from my wardrobe to make space for her clothes

over a year ago

Oh I love getting cast-offs and I do shop often in the charity shops as well as normal shops

over a year ago

Everything for me is new, just the way I am.

over a year ago

Really not bothered where things come from its more how they look on me that counts and if they fit well.

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

New

over a year ago

I'm wearing someone elses skin

over a year ago

I love charity shops and car boots XD we are such a wasteful nation!

Nations like us are raping the earth cos we have to have this seasons look.. Its greed..

over a year ago

I wore hand me downs.

My parents used to get our clothes from the army and navy stores

I felt a right berk going to school.dressed as a japanese admiral

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

One of my hobbies involves finding older style clothes or vintage stuff, so I do like popping in charity shops and scouring ebay.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I spent so much of my life poor, scrimping and scraping to get by that, now I can afford it, I love new clothes. It's not snobbery. It's just nice to be the first person to wear them, for once.

over a year ago

"I wore hand me downs.

I felt a right berk going to school.dressed as a japanese admiral "

spit my tea out laughing!

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"One of my hobbies involves finding older style clothes or vintage stuff, so I do like popping in charity shops and scouring ebay. "

Would this hobby involve those pics you showed me the other day?

You need to put them public bro, they are frikin AWESOME!

over a year ago

If I like them I don't care.

over a year ago

I'm all for hand me downs and cast offs. My favourite handbag was given to me by a friend.

over a year ago

I love charity shops, my eldest son shops in them too.

I've got 3 Radley handbags off e-bay as Christmas presents for less than one would cost new.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"I wore hand me downs.

I felt a right berk going to school.dressed as a japanese admiral "

Pmsl Admiral Horatio San

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

My clothes are mainly from next but there are some handmade tailored items and vintage stuff from the 60's. I don't buy clothes from charity shops or carboot sales but I do buy books and antiques from them.

By *coobyroo218Couple
over a year ago

Guernsey

I always buy new then the old clothes I wear for work, (builder) till they are fit for nowhere but the bin, so sort of recycling

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

"One of my hobbies involves finding older style clothes or vintage stuff, so I do like popping in charity shops and scouring ebay.

You need to put them public bro, they are frikin AWESOME!"

Too awesome for the mere mortals of Fab my old deviant time-space-continuum-wormhole-thready-thingy me!

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"One of my hobbies involves finding older style clothes or vintage stuff, so I do like popping in charity shops and scouring ebay.

You need to put them public bro, they are frikin AWESOME!

Too awesome for the mere mortals of Fab my old deviant time-space-continuum-wormhole-thready-thingy me! "

Yes maybe you're right old chum. They aren't ready yet.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I love charity shops. Some fab stuff, new and nearly new, at a fraction of the price. And no profits to fat cats either.

A guy took me out in newcastle one time. Said he wanted to buy me a frock for a dinner date that night.

Went round a few shops. Prices were terrible. I would not pay that for a new frock so I refused to let him pay either.

Anyway, spotted the British Heart Foundation shop and dragged him. Lovely Morgan dress, my size, new with original tags, £7. He bought it for me. Wore it that night and it is still one of my faves.

Spotted the same dress in Look Again catalogue a couple of weeks later. £75.

I love charity shops.

over a year ago

Nope sorry, all my gear has to be new.

I live in the Nike store and JD sports

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I get nearly all my clothes from charity shops and someone at slimming has just given me a massive bag of clothes im in my element. Are you happy with cast offs or doesn everything have to be new."

I don't see not wanting to wear other people's casts off as proud. I prefer buying my clothes new.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"I get nearly all my clothes from charity shops and someone at slimming has just given me a massive bag of clothes im in my element. Are you happy with cast offs or doesn everything have to be new.

I don't see not wanting to wear other people's casts off as proud. I prefer buying my clothes new.

"

You are just perpetuating the recycling circle Sassy, for every used clothes enthusiast there has to be someone that used it first. Stand proud!

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

"I get nearly all my clothes from charity shops and someone at slimming has just given me a massive bag of clothes im in my element. Are you happy with cast offs or doesn everything have to be new.

You are just perpetuating the recycling circle Sassy, for every used clothes enthusiast there has to be someone that used it first. Stand proud!"

Good point. If we all used charity shops then a temporal rift could occur at the paradox! A dangerous occurance that could unleash velociraptors and giant millipedes on the poor shoppers in Oxfam!!

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

You are just perpetuating the recycling circle Sassy, for every used clothes enthusiast there has to be someone that used it first. Stand proud!

Good point. If we all used charity shops then a temporal rift could occur at the paradox! A dangerous occurance that could unleash velociraptors and giant millipedes on the poor shoppers in Oxfam!! "

It wouldn't be the first time old friend!

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

Good point. If we all used charity shops then a temporal rift could occur at the paradox! A dangerous occurance that could unleash velociraptors and giant millipedes on the poor shoppers in Oxfam!!

It wouldn't be the first time old friend!"

I still feel a bit sick when I go in that branch of Waitrose to this very day

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

I prefer to have clothes in a pile at the end of my bed...

Regards to wearing them.. Charity shops at the dogs!! Not underwear though!!!!

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I prefer to have clothes in a pile at the end of my bed...

Regards to wearing them.. Charity shops at the dogs!! Not underwear though!!!! "

A pile of clothes at the end of a bed is called a floordrobe.

over a year ago

I love charity shops and I see nothing wrong in buying from them.

I tend to buy items that are a little unusual and not clothes that are similar to the ones sold in high street stores, though that's just a personal style kind of thing and I don't see anything wrong in buying any type of clothing if you like it.

I recently bought a fur coat from a 1950s vintage shop. Its gorgeous and I love it, its so warm. Its not rewal fur, well it doesn't have a label in so I hope it isn't real fur.

The only thing with buying vintage clothes is that the sizing was very different then, so its a case of just being lucky and dropping onto things.

My best ever buys have been from vintage shops in New York. I have bought full length gowns for $40. I have a black satin fitted one with a fish tale and that is my favourite. A lot of New York stores sell old designer sale stock so I've picked up brilliant bargains and especially in the market in the old Hells Kitchen district, they have fabulous vintage gowns.

I think looking in charity shops is worthwhile and you just never know ehen you will come across a fantastic item

over a year ago

"I love charity shops and I see nothing wrong in buying from them.

I tend to buy items that are a little unusual and not clothes that are similar to the ones sold in high street stores, though that's just a personal style kind of thing and I don't see anything wrong in buying any type of clothing if you like it.

I recently bought a fur coat from a 1950s vintage shop. Its gorgeous and I love it, its so warm. Its not rewal fur, well it doesn't have a label in so I hope it isn't real fur.

The only thing with buying vintage clothes is that the sizing was very different then, so its a case of just being lucky and dropping onto things.

My best ever buys have been from vintage shops in New York. I have bought full length gowns for $40. I have a black satin fitted one with a fish tale and that is my favourite. A lot of New York stores sell old designer sale stock so I've picked up brilliant bargains and especially in the market in the old Hells Kitchen district, they have fabulous vintage gowns.

I think looking in charity shops is worthwhile and you just never know ehen you will come across a fantastic item "

Can't agree more and there are some fantastic shops across the pond its just a matter of having some spare time when you are there to see them out.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I don't buy from charity shops but I do like vintage clothing and have several great vintage pieces....

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

I only wear old clothes, I like old cars and prefer older women

and if they're older than me they're bloody ancient

over a year ago

Always new for me and family

over a year ago

"I only wear old clothes, I like old cars and prefer older women

and if they're older than me they're bloody ancient"

Jack you are not old, you are just Retro

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I don't buy from charity shops but I do like vintage clothing and have several great vintage pieces...."
Theres a great one in Brum i cant help peruse when im in the area...some fabulous 40s jackets

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/12/12 00:48:27]

over a year ago

"

are you to proud is a phrase that people say

over a year ago

Absolutely and I have some great bargains, for example, the black sexy figure hugging evening dress I paid 20p for at a car boot, my most recent is a black and white going out type of dress from Wallis that I paid £4.50 but probably the best is a pair of black sling backs for £5, I didn't know the make so I googled the brand, similar style was........£230 and judging by the heels, they hadn't been worn more than a couple of times.

No qualms from me about charity shops or car boots and really if I am looking for a black skirt to wear to a shift at the pub, charity shops are my first port of call as I don't see the point in wasting money on something that really isn't going to stay black for long.

over a year ago

"I prefer to have clothes in a pile at the end of my bed...

Regards to wearing them.. Charity shops at the dogs!! Not underwear though!!!!

A pile of clothes at the end of a bed is called a floordrobe."

Funnily enough my son has one of those

over a year ago

"I don't buy from charity shops but I do like vintage clothing and have several great vintage pieces....Theres a great one in Brum i cant help peruse when im in the area...some fabulous 40s jackets"

Now ya knows where I get me jackets from....

over a year ago

I like the vintage shops in Nottingham, really really nice for clothes.

I also love the rag market in Birmingham. Ok not strictly for clothing, but they do have some great stalls selling clothing, but I embellish a lot of my clothing because its just not fancy enough for me, and I buy lots of materials, buttons and ribbons at the rag market. They are so cheap.

Its not just about the money really is it, its the enjoyment of looking and not really sure if you will find anything

over a year ago

"I'm wearing someone elses skin"

Did you get it from funky?

over a year ago

I love vintage stuff and so does my OH. We used to regularly trawl the charity shops and actually bought vintage stuff to sell at the "mod" do's we attended. We made a profit on the weekends and had a blast too, of course that was before we started a family.

Long live charity shops, my only disappointment is the tendency for councils to fill high streets with them these days.

over a year ago

I love charity and vintage shops. Often hand stuff in too. Do a twice yearly wardrobe gut, once after summer and again after Christmas.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Good point. If we all used charity shops then a temporal rift could occur at the paradox! A dangerous occurance that could unleash velociraptors and giant millipedes on the poor shoppers in Oxfam!! "

You're both bonkers!

Post new Message to Thread