Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

My Understanding of the History and Point of Shibari/Kinbaku

Jump to newest

By *ensual OP   Man
over a year ago

Sutton

This is largely taken from an article by Zawa Netsu from a Web magazine Kinbaku Today.

This note is mainly aimed at those that love rope.

I would preface by saying I was never a believer of shibari as an ancient Japanese art. Nor am I a fan of pretty rope for its own sake. Please note when he talks of the "erotic" he is not referring merely to sex and physical expression but to the important connection of minds.

Here are three extracts.

"The history I am referring to is not the long-fabled story of Japanese samurai, hojojutsu, and Ukiyo geisha bound with kimono obi. Nor is it a story of beautiful art and ties.

It is the story of people’s lives.

In 1925, a magazine called Sunday Mainichi (??????) published a series of photos of by Ito Seiu of Sawara Kise, bound in the snow. It was an important moment not only because it is one of the earliest representations of erotic bondage in Japan, but because of the reaction to it. As a result of those pictures, Ito was branded a “pervert” (??/hentai).

Kise Sahara: The first SM model in Japan? Kinbaku Today 1

From that period on, erotic rope bondage in Japan became something that would require sacrifice in order to practice.

It wasn’t just bakushi who made those sacrifices, it was the models who would appear in the early magazines (which is why there were so few of them, especially in the early days of Kitan Club) and those who fought censorship to get those early magazines published.

There is an essay from Kitan Club in 1953 by Tsujimura Takashi titled “The Psychological Impulse to do Seme” that engages a number of readers of the magazine in a roundtable discussion about why they enjoy rope and SM. The various participants discuss some of their earliest memories and fantasies and what inspires them to do SM play in the bedroom.

What struck me as a read the piece was the degree to which those kinds of practices needed to remain hidden, much more than they do today.

It one sense, it is story of a group of people with what were considered strange, perverted, and abnormal desires finding each other and beginning the process of discovering they weren’t."

"Which brings me to my second point. For those of us who practice shibari this way, it is not about the rope, it is not about the ties, it is not about the photography, or instagram likes. It is about the erotic connection we feel with our partners and that they feel with us.

We use rope as a tool, as a means, as a way to bring our erotic fantasies and desires to life. It is about a human, erotic connection between people. How one does a particular tie and what it looks like is secondary to what the rope is doing in relation to the fantasy. We learn to tie to do something, to create an effect, to build a scene, to create an experience for our partner. The tie is never the end or the goal. It is always a means to something else, something deeper, something physical or psychological."

"When you come to rope and insist that it is something other than erotic, you are participating in a long history of demonizing those do see it that way and who practice rope in a way that allows them to express something with each other that has been shunned, ostracized, and dismissed by most of mainstream culture, by their friends, and by their families.

We have names for that activity, we call it “shibari” and we call it “kinbaku.”

When you do the same and insist it is not erotic, you do so that the expense of those who came before you, who sacrificed a great deal, and who believed things and practiced things that you do not.

There are a wealth of terms you can use: bondage, rope bondage, getting tied up, rope art, western rope, decorative roe, fusion rope, Japanese-inspired rope, and dozens more.

Please use those instead."

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"

There are a wealth of terms you can use: bondage, rope bondage, getting tied up, rope art, western rope, decorative roe, fusion rope, Japanese-inspired rope, and dozens more.

Please use those instead."

"

By *ensual OP   Man
over a year ago

Sutton

From an Interview with Kazami Ranki, who is known for his hard-core kinbaku style.

"As for what to call the bondage, I have no Kinbaku or Shibari obsession. (Even as a Japanese) it is very difficult to classify the words. In my opinion, Shibari binds a person‘s body and Kinbaku binds a person’s mind. If I were to force myself to separate the two words personally, it would be something like that."

Later on the interviewer Sin who has two good books; "The Year of the Bakushi" and "Psychology of BDSM and Rope Bondage" asks:

Sin: Where do you see the future? Do you sense that the old times may be coming to an end, and that the spread of the popularity of Shibari has changed it so much?

Do you think that with so many taking up Shibari for the aesthetic (fashion, glamour), for exercise (sport, yoga), for curative reasons (tantric, meditation), for oriental romanticism or because they think that they‘re doing a combat technique, etc, has diluted the SM and erotic, so that this is now seen as wrong by some? Do you think Kinbaku as we have known it faces the same threats like the pink theatres being slowly closed down in Japan?

Kazami: I believe that times are always changing. Even in the world of music, I think that the transition is very intense.

But I do not know how rope bondage will change in the future. In my opinion, there should be various kinds. I think it would be wonderful if we could all respect and recognize each other’s various ideas, and I hope that the old ways will remain in the process. For example, I think that SM and erotic bondage will be done in a closed place, but not in a public place anymore.'

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Thanks Zen. Very interesting read!

By *ensual OP   Man
over a year ago

Sutton

I have been catching up with my reading.

Post new Message to Thread