Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Accents and Career Choice

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just wondered what people think, it has been said that the best air traffic controllers are Scottish, because the Scottish accent carry better via the airwaves, possibly the same for radio presenters.

Would your accent have a bearing on your possible career choice, what do you think?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't have an accent!...does that mean I can quit work and become a lady if leisure???

over a year ago

Depends on which accent I'm using at the time I suppose lol xxxx

over a year ago

"Just wondered what people think, it has been said that the best air traffic controllers are Scottish, because the Scottish accent carry better via the airwaves, possibly the same for radio presenters.

Would your accent have a bearing on your possible career choice, what do you think?"

Of couse accent counts. Which is why I don't have to lower myself to being a radio presenter.

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

do you talk scouse granny ?

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

If you look for example at the BBC most of them have very pronounced accents, very few have regional/local accents, unless of course they are on local news channels etc.

over a year ago

"do you talk scouse granny ? "

Actually no. What makes you think I am a Livepudlian simply because I live here?

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

was thinking that yes how daft of me

over a year ago

When I started to go to school her when I was 14 many years ago, during my first EFL lesson, my teacher advised me to loose my Chinese accent, so that I would appear to be integrated and educated.

It may seem old fashion nowadays, due to better respect for one's individuality.

I still have a touch of Chinese accent, however, when I am on holiday abroad, peeps would say I am from UK.

I have always managed to get good jobs, more likely to be the result of having a professional qualification rather than my accent IMHO

over a year ago

"When I started to go to school her when I was 14 many years ago, during my first EFL lesson, my teacher advised me to loose my Chinese accent, so that I would appear to be integrated and educated.

It may seem old fashion nowadays, due to better respect for one's individuality.

I still have a touch of Chinese accent, however, when I am on holiday abroad, peeps would say I am from UK.

I have always managed to get good jobs, more likely to be the result of having a professional qualification rather than my accent IMHO "

It's a bit of a cliche now to say you can't understand your Asian doctor or your banks phone contact BUT

I went to the doctors on Monday and couldn't understand a blind word he said .....

over a year ago

" It's a bit of a cliche now to say you can't understand your Asian doctor or your banks phone contact BUT

I went to the doctors on Monday and couldn't understand a blind word he said ..... "

Was he scouse???

over a year ago

"It's a bit of a cliche now to say you can't understand your Asian doctor or your banks phone contact BUT

I went to the doctors on Monday and couldn't understand a blind word he said ..... "

That is true, and I too struggle with very strong accents from peeps in call centres. Not just those based in the far east, but also Scottish or Irish ones!

over a year ago

" It's a bit of a cliche now to say you can't understand your Asian doctor or your banks phone contact BUT

I went to the doctors on Monday and couldn't understand a blind word he said .....

Was he scouse??? "

Actually no. Had he have been i'd have understood his every utterance.

over a year ago

"It's a bit of a cliche now to say you can't understand your Asian doctor or your banks phone contact BUT

That is true, and I too struggle with very strong accents from peeps in call centres. Not just those based in the far east, but also Scottish or Irish ones! "

My son in law is a Scot ... I nod and smile. As long as i get the key words i seem to be able to function... Tho everytime he asks me 'how'.... I try to explain how when he means why

Post new Message to Thread