Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Getting to know someone ....

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

... by text !

Surely getting to know someone involves several meetings in person ?

You can text / cam / chat all you want, but surely to get to know someone you need to spend some time with them ?

Other than that, is it not just getting to know some facts about them and their lives ?

In my eyes, that doesn't equate to 'knowing' them

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

[Removed by poster at 03/12/12 08:19:37]

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Diasagree. i think meeting in person helps but id already know that person

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I suppose it's more knowing of them...txt and messages etc are good, then coffee, then sex seems reasonable!

39,000,000,000 txts were sent last year in the uk.

over a year ago

It is possible to pick up on certain personality traits by text/email in the way things are written. However i agree that the only way you'll truly get to know someone is by meeting them. A clever texter can make themselves appear to be the nicest person alive, it's far more difficult to that face to face. You only have to look at all the cases of grooming on social network sites to know this is true.

over a year ago

I believe u can think u know a person quite well from texts, cams, mails and phone conversations, but sometimes when you then meet you find you dont really know the person at all

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I suppose it's more knowing of them...txt and messages etc are good, then coffee, then sex seems reasonable!

39,000,000,000 txts were sent last year in the uk. "

Altho in fairness 38,000,000,000 of them were PPI or personal injury related

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I believe u can think u know a person quite well from texts, cams, mails and phone conversations, but sometimes when you then meet you find you dont really know the person at all "

Yep. Had that happen to me once. He seemed lovely on the phone and on text but when I met him we just didn't click. I found him rude, patronising and uncomfortable to be around.

over a year ago

"I believe u can think u know a person quite well from texts, cams, mails and phone conversations, but sometimes when you then meet you find you dont really know the person at all "

+1

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"I believe u can think u know a person quite well from texts, cams, mails and phone conversations, but sometimes when you then meet you find you dont really know the person at all

+1"

+2

over a year ago

in person.

you can mistake the meaning of some text messages.

over a year ago

"... by text !

Surely getting to know someone involves several meetings in person ?

You can text / cam / chat all you want, but surely to get to know someone you need to spend some time with them ?

Other than that, is it not just getting to know some facts about them and their lives ?

Yes meeting in person is far better as you can put anything in a text but chatting face to face you see their mannerisms which is hard to fake. But you can still have friendships by text its just a little less personal

In my eyes, that doesn't equate to 'knowing' them

"

over a year ago

Text? Definitely not!

Phone/cam -after a while you can get to know someone pretty well.

Face to face is obviously ideal and I guess would be the projected end result of any regular 'virtual' contact.

But even after real contact you can find someone is different or changes - but that's the joy of meeting people - you don't know until you try!

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

After all David Cameron though he was saying 'lots of love lol'....if only he had spoken face to face!

over a year ago

"I believe u can think u know a person quite well from texts, cams, mails and phone conversations, but sometimes when you then meet you find you dont really know the person at all

+1

+2"

+3

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

whats the saying 'you don't really know someone until you go on holiday with them'..

You get an appreciation of someone by text, phone and cam.

Only once meeting up over a sustained period of time do you get to see the real them... and even then

a good few people lead completely different lives to the one their loved ones see...

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

That is how i got to know my husband....i thought i knew him...but i actually knew nothing about him...

Forum Mod

over a year ago

I think it depends on the flow and the banter when it comes to messages/texts and how people are,you can never really know though,but as im not entering into a long term relationship with anyone on here how well do I really want to know them?

The phone chat is usually what does it for me,I want to feel comfortabe chtting to them,the same as I have with texts or messages with a natural flow and ease to the conversation,its always disappointing when ive been having a really good laugh by text and then find its like pulling teeth when you speak on the phone and what seemed natural then feels stilted and awkward,but at least its better than finding that out on a meet

over a year ago

getting to know someone takes more than electo-communication but its a start

electronically or in person, its 2 different environments which can produce different results

over a year ago

Suppose it's all down the the relationship in question between said people from it being a new friendship or relationship. And also the openness of the individuals.

I believe you can get to know someone via phone and cam pretty well where as by text things can be taken in the wrong way, misunderstood.. But yes it will still all count on meeting in person.

But on the plus side I just won £50 on a scratch card so I'm smiling

over a year ago

"That is how i got to know my husband....i thought i knew him...but i actually knew nothing about him..."

Thought you were running late for work lady??? Get of fab n get your arse in gear

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Swings and roundabouts for me.

Some people will be exactly as they are on cam and phone and for others it was all bravado because it is the net and they would be totally different in real life.

If you are asking for swinging that is my answer above,

If you are talking about people falling in love by cam/phone and text and then finding when they meet they are totally different, of course you will never know if that love would carry on once you have met, but the whole falling in love that way can actually work and they are just the person you thought they were.

over a year ago

I find texting is a great way to get to know someone. And I don't mean sex texting just general texting about everyday life.

Oh and today is twentieth anniversary of the first ever text message. So very relevant .

over a year ago

yes you can get an idea if someone is your type of person, but you cant realy know them until you have met them a few times. have also met a few men who i didnt think would be my type, they turned out to be more enjoyable meets than i expected and they looked better than they did in their photos.

over a year ago

"I believe u can think u know a person quite well from texts, cams, mails and phone conversations, but sometimes when you then marry find you dont really know the person at all "

over a year ago

you dont know a person until you live with them.

over a year ago

I think it has a lot to do with different people and their different characters and personalities.

I think it's perfectly possible to get to know someone pretty well via text/messages/phone calls. Then meeting face-to-face simply confirms the impression already gained.

However, as has been said, I can also imagine that there is potential for the face-to-face meet to have a less than positive outcome!

Post new Message to Thread