FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Does anybody own or lease an electric van?

Jump to newest

By *ex-a-frolics OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brizzle

Looking to upgrade an elderly Vauxhall Vivaro. It’s costing us a fortune in fuel, it’s not euro 6 so have to pay Ulez & Caz

To replace with a new electric van is prohibitive so wondered about leasing. I’ve looked at a few options & the cost is less than the fuel & charges were paying at the moment so it seems a no brainer, there’s gotta be more too it than that.

The biggest issue I can see is we live in a flat so won’t be able to charge at home, & also long journeys we’d need to stop to recharge.

Anybody got first hand experience & care to share their experiences, pros & cons etc.

Thanks in advance.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Can't help you on the van specifically but have an electric car and I'd say if you can't charge at home and you take a lot of long journeys they're not right for you yet. Better to get a cheaper eco petrol/diesel

Charging away from home is more expensive, on a par with cost of diesel

By *ndi37Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Not got a van, but a 4x4. There is something on Google that tells you how much it would cost to charge out and about based on your millage. With current energy rates, I'm not convinced it's better especially with the poor business milage rates the HMRC have set.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have no experience in motors even I’m a motorhome lover .

Contras

about electric : batteries cost £10.000 to last 10 years . Or £4,000 to last 4 years .

Charging ::: pain . Probably end spending big of petrol here there .

I have no experience but this is the reasons why I keep on old Diesel engines . Even more expensive then petrol I have the illusion diesel goes further ( not sure if is a myth )

I’m a painter , and I’m a recent job in a warehouse

I saw a manager trying to sort the plug vs van vs warehouse from 7:30 am , is now 9:30 and he Stil on n on aorund it like a ant around sugar

Made me think : if I seat here 2 hours doing nothing my boss will chop my head off

So was more one for me say No .

More tech more issues .

I would go back to a rigid oil engine from 1980 if I could

I may be wrong , but since they start putting button in electric windows it kind of gone down the hill

Now we can’t live with out it

At list now my van window handle give my head in

Love time travel x x

I suggest a bit more research of pros - contras til u find confortable with your decision .

Me personally this new era of engines is adjust an lllusion like CD , who likes CD? So fragile …

Yes I Stil buy games on it . There’s no other format . Why don’t they seel games downloaded in Pens ?

I’m not engineer . I do like design tho

Yet . Electrics do not impress me

By *b72Man
over a year ago

Nottingham

It all depends on what your going to use it for, but in general they have a poorer payload than theice versions and to be honest their range is apauling.

By *oody HuddsonMan
over a year ago

sexy town

We had an electric VW transport come into the auction last week. I was responsible for booking in and evaluating the condition. It came in with 78% battery or 68 miles (empty van). It was 2 years old and battery capacity had fallen to 91%.

I’m not sure the technology is ready especially for vans / larger vehicles.

By *ibsonsgCouple
over a year ago

New Milton

[Removed by poster at 21/09/22 07:27:02]

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

A neighbour of mine was in the same situation as the OP, his solution was to take out a three year lease on a Euro 6 van and then to review the viability of an all electric van in a couple of years.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

I reckon an electric van is a great idea as long as you are paid by the hour.

"Sorry it's taken so long to get back guv, I had to plug the van in"

AKA I needed a kip in the services.

Kerching!

Post new Message to Thread