Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Weekly Mental Health Check-in 19.09

Jump to newest

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

Good morning. How fast is time flying? I can’t believe we’re moving into the end of September already.

I’ve been doing ok but I can feel that my anxiety has increased a bit - my whole body has the sensation of gentle tremors/vibration and I really dislike it, it in itself makes me feel more anxious. It triggered my health anxiety because I didn’t think I was stressed and so it must be the result of there being something wrong with me - but this morning I suddenly realised that it’s because I go back to uni for my second year tomorrow. My anxiety frustrates me because this is the subconscious level that it operates on - I can’t recognise the thoughts that trigger it because the physical symptoms hit me first and set off my health anxiety. Anyway, I feel better now I’ve recognised the cause (should have realised!) and now have something to work with. I hadn’t even had any of my medication since watching the webinar I mentioned a couple of weeks back, but as I was trying to fall asleep last night my heart started feeling like it was racing, so I took one.

In positive news a lady who ran a meditation course I did a couple of years back, emailed to say she’s running an 8 week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Course. I’ve been keen to do this and had bought the book to work through but it was huge and a bit overwhelming so I welcomed the news and signed up. I also went to a gong bath last week (have a Google!) and it was amazing! I’ll definitely be going again when I can.

How are you feeling today? xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Good luck with the return to Uni, OP, and I hope your anxiety subsides. Good luck as well with the Mindfulness course!

I’m lucky as I’m in mostly a good place, quite resilient, have the same worries as a lot of people, the cost of living etc but other than than I am fortunate to be feeling good, getting out for walks and exercise in the fresh air through the woods is good for the soul!

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

You got this OP.

Positive thoughts sending to you. X

I'm OK will see what the day brings.

over a year ago

I’m struggling a little, if I’m honest, but I’ll get there. Usually snap out of it after a couple of days

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Good morning Lou

Great news about your course

September has been a real life focused month, so my usual balance is skewed. One day at a time and not letting impatience and frustration overboil is key for just a little while longer x

By *elloIntrigueMan
over a year ago

North West UK

At the moment some days are better than others. Was away on a work thing for a couple of weeks and one of the people died out there. We refocused, got things done and I played my part. Returned home last Monday and grief has come and gone in waves. I took myself out of circulation on Tuesday, was pretty overwhelmed on Wednesday and been much more controlled since, still feel profoundly sad, and its brought up about my brothers death all over again 18/19 months later. I know I am strong mentally - but just need time, today is perfect, a day where I can completely switch off before getting back to it tomorrow.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Probably falling apart internally but the full impact hasn't hit me yet. My wife suddenly passed away last Friday after suffering a massive stroke on Thursday. The anti deps that I'm still on after the death of my mother four years ago are helping keep me on an even, although artificial, keel. Meanwhile two weeks ago my father was diagnosed with advanced cancer. The doctors are unable to give any estimate whether he has months, weeks or merely days left.

It may seem to many that it is disrespectful for me to be continuing showing a presence on this site under the circumstances; however the distraction that it provides is one of the few things helping me hold together.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

^^^Polly, you do whatever you think is best for you. Posting here or not, no-one else can tell you what to do.

Sending hugs from us both

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"^^^Polly, you do whatever you think is best for you. Posting here or not, no-one else can tell you what to do.

Sending hugs from us both "

Thank you xx

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"Good luck with the return to Uni, OP, and I hope your anxiety subsides. Good luck as well with the Mindfulness course!

I’m lucky as I’m in mostly a good place, quite resilient, have the same worries as a lot of people, the cost of living etc but other than than I am fortunate to be feeling good, getting out for walks and exercise in the fresh air through the woods is good for the soul!"

Thank you x

I’m glad things are going ok for you right now x

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"You got this OP.

I'm OK will see what the day brings. "

Thank you x

Hope today has been ok x

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"I’m struggling a little, if I’m honest, but I’ll get there. Usually snap out of it after a couple of days "

Sorry to hear that, I hope it doesn’t last long for you x

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"Good morning Lou

Great news about your course

September has been a real life focused month, so my usual balance is skewed. One day at a time and not letting impatience and frustration overboil is key for just a little while longer x"

That sounds like real intention , hope this week is kind to you! x

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"At the moment some days are better than others. Was away on a work thing for a couple of weeks and one of the people died out there. We refocused, got things done and I played my part. Returned home last Monday and grief has come and gone in waves. I took myself out of circulation on Tuesday, was pretty overwhelmed on Wednesday and been much more controlled since, still feel profoundly sad, and its brought up about my brothers death all over again 18/19 months later. I know I am strong mentally - but just need time, today is perfect, a day where I can completely switch off before getting back to it tomorrow."

Sending lots of love, that sounds really difficult . People expect grief to have an expiry date but it isn’t like that at all. I hope today nourishes you and tomorrow isn’t too trying xx

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"Probably falling apart internally but the full impact hasn't hit me yet. My wife suddenly passed away last Friday after suffering a massive stroke on Thursday. The anti deps that I'm still on after the death of my mother four years ago are helping keep me on an even, although artificial, keel. Meanwhile two weeks ago my father was diagnosed with advanced cancer. The doctors are unable to give any estimate whether he has months, weeks or merely days left.

It may seem to many that it is disrespectful for me to be continuing showing a presence on this site under the circumstances; however the distraction that it provides is one of the few things helping me hold together."

Oh Polly, how awful, what a terrible time for you . You don’t have to make any justifications for being here, just do what you need to and if others have an issue with that then it’s their problem.

Such sad news about your dad on top of the grief for your wife. Sending lots of love your way xx

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"You got this OP.

Thank you x

Hope today has been ok x"

When I wrote this good.

Hard day at work. But I won't let it get to me.

Positive mental attitude all the way x

over a year ago

Same shit different day. Saturday was crap as my mother and I had words, left me in a foul mood. Sunday and today was better though. Be glad to get back to work tomorrow to take my mind off things x

over a year ago

"Probably falling apart internally but the full impact hasn't hit me yet. My wife suddenly passed away last Friday after suffering a massive stroke on Thursday. The anti deps that I'm still on after the death of my mother four years ago are helping keep me on an even, although artificial, keel. Meanwhile two weeks ago my father was diagnosed with advanced cancer. The doctors are unable to give any estimate whether he has months, weeks or merely days left.

It may seem to many that it is disrespectful for me to be continuing showing a presence on this site under the circumstances; however the distraction that it provides is one of the few things helping me hold together."

So sorry for you loss

Thinking of you at what must be a hugely challenging time xx

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"You got this OP.

Thank you x

Hope today has been ok x

When I wrote this good.

Hard day at work. But I won't let it get to me.

Positive mental attitude all the way x "

Hugs xx

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"Same shit different day. Saturday was crap as my mother and I had words, left me in a foul mood. Sunday and today was better though. Be glad to get back to work tomorrow to take my mind off things x"

Sorry you’ve had a difficult time, I glad things have improved though. Hoping work goes ok for you x

By *oobaaMan
over a year ago

South Shields

Cant imagine what you are going through

Sending you hugs.

sometimes a forum like this is a distraction to everything that is going on...keep yourself on here posting away

By *oobaaMan
over a year ago

South Shields

Well Ive been in Blackpool for a couple of days. Enjoyed Saturday but on Sunday long covid kicked in and ruined the day.

Managed to go for a drink on Sunday afternoon but had to return to the hotel,i felt that weak. Just lay on bed watching TV for rest of day.

Yesterday was about the same but because of the Funeral I dont think much was open till later and I didnt fancy going out anyway.

Feel a bit stronger today so Iam packing my stuff and going to have a slow drive home.

Overthinking is really bad at the moment and its stupid things that I cant do anything about....never mind

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"Well Ive been in Blackpool for a couple of days. Enjoyed Saturday but on Sunday long covid kicked in and ruined the day.

Managed to go for a drink on Sunday afternoon but had to return to the hotel,i felt that weak. Just lay on bed watching TV for rest of day.

Yesterday was about the same but because of the Funeral I dont think much was open till later and I didnt fancy going out anyway.

Feel a bit stronger today so Iam packing my stuff and going to have a slow drive home.

Overthinking is really bad at the moment and its stupid things that I cant do anything about....never mind"

Aww, that sounds rubbish, I’m sorry to hear your weekend ended up like that. Take care driving home xx

By *ooliganMan
over a year ago

Preston

I've not posted on one of Lou's threads before, but now seems like a good time. I'm 3-weeks into a particularly bad bout of insomnia, not had more than 2-3hrs sleep (if I'm lucky) for that whole time.

I go to bed exhaused (usually 10.30-11pm), fall asleep and then wake up 2-3hrs later and that's me for the rest of the night. I'll usually nod off just as the alarm goes off.

I wake up with mind racing, general anxiety about work, life, the state of the country(!!), that awful feeling of a weight on my chest which seems to be worse this last few weeks. It's a life-long problem but I can generally bank on a half-decent kip once a fortnight or so... It's not happening!

Tried everything, GP not interested other than suggesting I try Kalms!! Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, I'm struggling to function.

By *oobaaMan
over a year ago

South Shields

"Well Ive been in Blackpool for a couple of days. Enjoyed Saturday but on Sunday long covid kicked in and ruined the day.

Overthinking is really bad at the moment and its stupid things that I cant do anything about....never mind

Aww, that sounds rubbish, I’m sorry to hear your weekend ended up like that. Take care driving home xx"

Thank you.

Had a slow drive home avoiding the M6 and stopped at a nice Cheese farm and then a farm shop in the Lakes.

Got home to a message saying new car is ready to pick up tomorrow so all good at the moment.....watch something ruin it

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"I've not posted on one of Lou's threads before, but now seems like a good time. I'm 3-weeks into a particularly bad bout of insomnia, not had more than 2-3hrs sleep (if I'm lucky) for that whole time.

I go to bed exhaused (usually 10.30-11pm), fall asleep and then wake up 2-3hrs later and that's me for the rest of the night. I'll usually nod off just as the alarm goes off.

I wake up with mind racing, general anxiety about work, life, the state of the country(!!), that awful feeling of a weight on my chest which seems to be worse this last few weeks. It's a life-long problem but I can generally bank on a half-decent kip once a fortnight or so... It's not happening!

Tried everything, GP not interested other than suggesting I try Kalms!! Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, I'm struggling to function."

Oh no, that sounds brutal . Have you tried a different GP?

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

Aww, that sounds rubbish, I’m sorry to hear your weekend ended up like that. Take care driving home xx

Thank you.

Had a slow drive home avoiding the M6 and stopped at a nice Cheese farm and then a farm shop in the Lakes.

Got home to a message saying new car is ready to pick up tomorrow so all good at the moment.....watch something ruin it"

Fingers crossed for more positivity!

By *ooliganMan
over a year ago

Preston

"Oh no, that sounds brutal . Have you tried a different GP?"

I will do... I'm one of those typical blokes - it takes a helluva lot to get me to contact the GP, last time was when I almost caused a crash on the motorway due to weeks without sleep.

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"Oh no, that sounds brutal . Have you tried a different GP?

I will do... I'm one of those typical blokes - it takes a helluva lot to get me to contact the GP, last time was when I almost caused a crash on the motorway due to weeks without sleep."

Jeez! Get on with it, man!

By *ooliganMan
over a year ago

Preston

I know, I need to... Last time was a telephone appointment and felt like I was wasting thier time. It's quite easy to avoid putting myself through that again!

over a year ago

All good here but sounds some aren't... Always here to lend an ear and to chat folks...

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"I know, I need to... Last time was a telephone appointment and felt like I was wasting thier time. It's quite easy to avoid putting myself through that again!"

There’s a reason sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture, you’re not wasting anybody’s time x

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"All good here but sounds some aren't... Always here to lend an ear and to chat folks..."

Ah, that’s kind . Glad all is well with you x

over a year ago

My mood has dropped. The change of weather does it. I have bipolar disorder and November brings a few unwelcome situations to deal with.

I don't really want to be around people much. The effort is hard and I really have low tolerance for stupid

I'm down for two socials but I may cancel. These parties are hard enough. There's a few ppl dislike me on the scene and seeing a half glass smile on someone's face probably isn't the best thing to be doing.

I have a friend lets me phone her daily so I have someone to chat to. I also have an abundance of dresses to make me feel good X .

Oh my. I feel better for this.

Thanks for asking. X

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"My mood has dropped. The change of weather does it. I have bipolar disorder and November brings a few unwelcome situations to deal with.

I don't really want to be around people much. The effort is hard and I really have low tolerance for stupid

I'm down for two socials but I may cancel. These parties are hard enough. There's a few ppl dislike me on the scene and seeing a half glass smile on someone's face probably isn't the best thing to be doing.

I have a friend lets me phone her daily so I have someone to chat to. I also have an abundance of dresses to make me feel good X .

Oh my. I feel better for this.

Thanks for asking. X "

I’m glad that getting it out helped a little. Sorry to hear about the effect the seasons have on you, it just be difficult when you know it’s coming up too. Good you have somebody to talk to, and you know where we are, search up the latest check-in thread and add to it whenever x

By *uicy 2020Woman
over a year ago

London

Hi everyone. I know im not a regular poster, but i lurk and i love that these posts exist.

Am really struggling atm if im honest. My mood dipped and i was finding it hard, then a whole load of work stresses came along. So am feeling super overwhelmed right now and dont feel i can talk honestly with anyone. Ive been to my GP about it weeks ago but am still waiting for an appointment, have also done a self referral for help at work, but again am waiting for an appointment. Its just so frustrating. Anyway, sorry, just wanted to rant really. X

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"Hi everyone. I know im not a regular poster, but i lurk and i love that these posts exist.

Am really struggling atm if im honest. My mood dipped and i was finding it hard, then a whole load of work stresses came along. So am feeling super overwhelmed right now and dont feel i can talk honestly with anyone. Ive been to my GP about it weeks ago but am still waiting for an appointment, have also done a self referral for help at work, but again am waiting for an appointment. Its just so frustrating. Anyway, sorry, just wanted to rant really. X "

Hello! Welcome to the thread x

I’m so sorry that things feel difficult at the moment and you don’t have anybody to talk to about it. It can be frustrating when you’ve reached out to the professional channels but you’re left waiting in limbo. Sending lots of love your way x

Post new Message to Thread