Back to The Lounge

Gym

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Who goes to the gym here?

What's your workout like?

What's your PB?

Are you going for fun, training or for a sport?

Be nice to chat to other gym goers

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I should go to the gym.

I don't.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I do, I've just finished an upper lower program and trying to figure out my next one. Might go for a 5 day full body one and see how that goes.

I've recently hit my PB on the bench press for 3 sets of 6 on 60kg, not much, I know, but chest has always been a weak area.

My PB on the Squat is 105kg for 3 sets of 4 and 140kg on the deadlift for 3 sets of 3. I don't really do a 1rep max as I'm not keen on powerlifting, I just wanna look wham

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Oh, and I also ruin people's fun on here by saying my favourite machine is the vending machine so they don't get to

over a year ago

PB on squat was 320kg, bench was only 160kg, deadlift was rubbish 175kg

Not done these numbers recently, must have been about 10 years ago.

over a year ago

Both some serious numbers. Good to support all gym goers

over a year ago

PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 sit ups at 20kg drop off 5kg

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

"Who goes to the gym here?

What's your PB?

Be nice to chat to other gym goers "

Yes.

Hard.

Training.

One cock push up

LvM

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

What's your PB?

I go to the leisure centre and leisure about. Lol!

Ok. Seriously I have the leisure centre membership so I can go swimming and do yoga/pilates. The gym is not my favourite part. I also see a trainer once a week to give me outdoor HIIT.

If I do go to the gym, I do about 10 minutes each on the cross trainer, bike and rower. I avoid treadmills like the plague. Then once warmed up and all limber. ( need to get limber at my age) I run the usual machine gambit of chest press, Leg extension, leg press, chest fly, lateral pull down, chest row, leg curl, dips and pull-ups. I prefer the machines, body weight or TRX because I would be the one to drop a dumbell on my foot.

My favourite machine is probably the leg press as I lift the most weight with that one. #thickthighs.

I don't check for personal best and I'm doing it so my body parts don't fall off. Lol! aka stop working. Mobility is a serious issue at my age.

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

With all the videos about gyms on tik tok id be extremely nervous going back to the gym now

over a year ago

No time for gym so I work out at home

Pilates is my thing atm

Considering yoga but not sure I could manage it tbh

Had my reps up at 100 but dialled it back as my arms started to show veins. Not a good look on me I think.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Won a fair few county level competitions for strength sports and do a fair amount of running, bjj and the odd bodybuilding show too

By *mooth Operator 07Man
over a year ago

in the deep mist of the valleys

It's not so much about the PB, it's about what the gym does wonders for my mental health. But I do like to challenge and push myself.

By *o scandalousWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"It's not so much about the PB, it's about what the gym does wonders for my mental health. But I do like to challenge and push myself. "

This

over a year ago

You're right, for a lot of people the gym is an escape from everyday issues.

By *ontrosebicoupMan
over a year ago

MONTROSE

Personal trainer so I'm in gym loads lol

By *inister_SpinsterWoman
over a year ago

North West

"You're right, for a lot of people the gym is an escape from everyday issues."

If you use 'reply and quote', it's easier to see who you're replying to.

over a year ago

North West

What's your PB?

Yes, I'm a bit of gym rat.

I'm a masters weightlifter. So my training revolves round the Olympic lifts.

I'd love a 100kg deadlift as a personal goal.

I also do twice weekly self defence / kick boxing type stuff, which is my cardio.

over a year ago

I used to go to the gym... But covid knocked the stuffing out of me, so I've not been for weeks

My pb on the leg press was 190kg - my aim was 200kg

I got my free weights up to 9kg...was aiming for 10kg

By *mily36CWoman
over a year ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

"Personal trainer so I'm in gym loads lol"

Similar ... I get paid to come in and shout at people

over a year ago

Pb for pull ups 25kg 6 sets off 8

By *raplockMan
over a year ago

Newport

"It's not so much about the PB, it's about what the gym does wonders for my mental health. But I do like to challenge and push myself. "

Yes yes yes. The gym does so much for my mental health.

over a year ago

Every morning before work, puts a spring in my step and then I'm ready to tackle any dramas that work and the day can throw at me

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I've gotten fat so I go to the gym to lose weight as I like to eat cake.

Currently doing whatever fitness online app tells me to do. Which is good as I'm using machines and free weights that I've never used before.

Just need to try to add consistency to when I go.

By *ustmemyselfandi1Man
over a year ago

southampton

What's your PB?

I’m new to the whole gym thing, always just played football and climbed until recently.

Currently at:

Bench press - 60kg

Squats - 90kg

Back pull (don’t know the name) - 60kgs

Bi / tri curls and pulls - 25kg

Chest press - 45kg

I do 4 sets of 12

I’m three months in consistently after properly committing and finally enjoying it.

Not big numbers but getting better.

over a year ago

I do a 4 day split on separate days I’ll train chest & shoulders, back, legs and biceps & triceps. Abs every other workout.

I don’t look to hit PBs, I try to squeeze and feel the muscle I’m working.

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

What's your PB?

I used to go to my local council gym 4-5 times a week, but now I’ve devised my own workout room with: weights, a ‘power tower’, bench, a rower and stationary bike. After finding it difficult to make the time and when it wasn’t busy, since I started a new job with more hours. Plus, paying for facilities and classes that I wasn’t using and mostly used the free weights.

After researching online which exercises hit which muscles, different ways of lifting, different workouts, using proper form, etc. I devised my own workout by applying the PPL method using free weights, hitting each muscle group with 2-3 different exercises and working up to a 6 day workout - only managing 4, sometimes 5 workouts a week, at the moment. I stretch and use yoga to cool down after each workout. Also during my lunchtimes, I do some of my workouts at my work’s gym after its reopening - it’s basic with a several weight and cardio machines, a bench and free weights.

For cardio, I cycle 15 minutes to work each way twice a week (working up to 4 days), which has a 300 yards incline. I also do interval walking/running on the work’s treadmill, once/twice a week. Also several times a day during my designated breaks away from my desk, I walk around between the 3 floors using the stairs in my building for about 5-10 minutes. I’m training to maintain my muscle, bone health, flexibility and balance health, as well for my well being and keeping in shape.

I’ve been going to the gym on and off for 30 years, never last more than 12 months. However, since fracturing my foot 2 years ago, which resulted being on crutches for 6 months, I’m determined to maintain my health as I age. Furthermore, I’m interested in joining a local bike club and trying martial arts.

If you’ve managed to read all of this, then that’s a workout in itself!

J

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Me

My workouts vary

I go for fun, training and my mental wellbeing

Off the top of my head, I think my PBs are about 90kg squat, 160kg leg press, 140kg hip thrust. I only deadlift 50kg due to some back weaknesses I'm working on separately.

By *esthetic21Man
over a year ago

Birmingham/Bristol

I go 5 times a week and have done for 10 years plus. Was stronger in my 20s but don't really push for heavy weights anymore due to injuries or fear of getting them

Just want to stay in good shape these days

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Me

My workouts vary

Off the top of my head, I think my PBs are about 90kg squat, 160kg leg press, 140kg hip thrust. I only deadlift 50kg due to some back weaknesses I'm working on separately. "

I have a long way to go achieving those weights. My PB is 20kgs deadlifting and shrugs, and 10kgs single dumbbell rows, when doing 3x12.

By *ontrosebicoupMan
over a year ago

MONTROSE

"Me

My workouts vary

Off the top of my head, I think my PBs are about 90kg squat, 160kg leg press, 140kg hip thrust. I only deadlift 50kg due to some back weaknesses I'm working on separately.

I have a long way to go achieving those weights. My PB is 20kgs deadlifting and shrugs, and 10kgs single dumbbell rows, when doing 3x12."

ull get there with the right training and good form

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I just cycle a fair bit

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Me. I go to small group sessions so the trainer sorts the routine out lol. Monday is squats, Tuesday functional fitness, Wednesday bench, Thursday functional fitness, Friday deadlift.

PB's are

Squats 142.5kg

Bench 83.5kg (dropped the bar on my face not long ago so took some time building my confidence up)

Deadlift 142.5kg

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Me

My workouts vary

I have a long way to go achieving those weights. My PB is 20kgs deadlifting and shrugs, and 10kgs single dumbbell rows, when doing 3x12."

Are you sure about that because 20kg is just the bar or are you using dumbbells? Either way we all start somewhere. I started with 10kg goblet squats and barely able to make the lowest weight on some of the machines.

By *imAndBarbCouple
over a year ago

chester

What's your PB?

Like most…back and bis…chest and tris…legs..cardio days….pb better than previous….going to try to keep strength in middle age….

over a year ago

I exercise 4 to 5 times a week... mixing weight training with cardio such as cycling. It's a good way of just being and blocking out everything else going on for a couple of hours. Always feel better afterwards even if I struggle with motivation sometimes.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I don't go to the gym but keep healthy by distance walking, eating well, zero alcohol, diy, gardening (lots to do!). Think my natural genes also have something to do with it. I do think you have to be careful past a certain age and look after the hidden parts of the body such as joints. A mate of mine regrets doing what he did as his joints are causing him serious trouble now.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

I have my work out cycling to and from work plus at work running round with the home shopping cart for 7 hrs none stop! Plus the odd weekend pleasure cycle ride out for 20 mile round trip! Enough for me x

By *ack 500Man
over a year ago

stafford

I’m a Strength & conditioning coach so any help just ask , 163kg bench natural at 14 & a half stone

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Me

My workouts vary

I have a long way to go achieving those weights. My PB is 20kgs deadlifting and shrugs, and 10kgs single dumbbell rows, when doing 3x12.

Are you sure about that because 20kg is just the bar or are you using dumbbells? Either way we all start somewhere. I started with 10kg goblet squats and barely able to make the lowest weight on some of the machines. "

I’m using dumbbells, as I don’t have access to barbells. I probably could go heavier, as I haven’t done many and have mainly concentrated on my upper body.

Well done for achieving those weights after starting so low.

J

By *ilks xXxWoman
over a year ago

East Mids

"PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56 "

I don’t understand any of that ….

I have just start going to the gym and still couldn’t tell you what equipment I use …. It’s the pulley to your tummy thing, the leg squeeze thing or the squeezey together one …

I will improve

By *imAndBarbCouple
over a year ago

chester

"PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56

I have just start going to the gym and still couldn’t tell you what equipment I use …. It’s the pulley to your tummy thing, the leg squeeze thing or the squeezey together one …

I will improve "

I’m qualified gym instructor and I don’t understand it!

By *ilks xXxWoman
over a year ago

East Mids

"PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56

I will improve

I’m qualified gym instructor and I don’t understand it! "

Thank god for that …. I was thinking I’ve got no hope !

By *loveturfMan
over a year ago

Your bedroom

Best medicine out there getting a sweat on....

By *imAndBarbCouple
over a year ago

chester

"PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56

I will improve

Thank god for that …. I was thinking I’ve got no hope ! "

Think the person doing lots of abs!!

over a year ago

My training is fairly simple -

I treadmill run - 6km in around 35 mins on an incline. 3 times a week.

My resistance training is made up of lots of pull-ups, chin-ups and dips. 3 times a week.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Me

My workouts vary

Are you sure about that because 20kg is just the bar or are you using dumbbells? Either way we all start somewhere. I started with 10kg goblet squats and barely able to make the lowest weight on some of the machines.

I’m using dumbbells, as I don’t have access to barbells. I probably could go heavier, as I haven’t done many and have mainly concentrated on my upper body.

Well done for achieving those weights after starting so low.

J"

It's always better to start lower and slowly build it up until you find your limit than going in too heavy and injuring yourself. A lot of it is confidence in the beginning though. When you're nervous and hesitate you don't drive through the weight the same and it feels harder. It does often take you by surprise when you realise how much you can really lift even early on. My first time doing hip thrusts with a PT we got to 70kg and at the time I didn't believe I could do anything at that weight.

I still remember the embarrassment the first time I tried lat pull downs and struggling with 9kg but now I can do 33.5kg for multiple sets which might not sound like a lot but for me it's huge progress from where I was at. Especially as I struggle so much with grip strength in one of my hands. I could probably go higher if I used methods that help bypass grip strength but that just feels like ignoring the problem to me.

By *rispyDuckMan
over a year ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

Gym is life

over a year ago

"I’m a Strength & conditioning coach so any help just ask , 163kg bench natural at 14 & a half stone"

Don’t forget those leg days

over a year ago

I'm just doing body weight at the moment but want to get back to the gym. That being said I really want to work my way to a hand stand press up.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56

I will improve "

That squeezey together one is the most suggestive machine in the whole gym.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I’d like to get into Jim.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56

I will improve

That squeezey together one is the most suggestive machine in the whole gym. "

Pretty please can we not sexualise excercises. My ex used to call the hip abduction and adduction machines "good girl, bad girl machines" and I hated it.

over a year ago

"PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56

I will improve "

It’s a drop set bascule you only stop to drop the wight hence the name

So basically you do 100 sit ups with 20kg two 10kg plates and have a 5kg plate next to you

Do the 100 on the way back down on the 100th sit up

You remove one off the 10kg plate and switch it out for a 5kg now you have 15kg do 100 at 15kg drop off the 5kg do another 100 at 10kg then drop the 10kg off for a 5kg then 100 at 5kg then drop the 5kg off and last 100 without wight witch In turn = 500 sit ups

The last 56 with a 10kg is what I call my fun set basically no set number just keep going to failure

Witch was a extra 56 sit-ups for a grand total off 556

over a year ago

"PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56

I will improve

Think the person doing lots of abs!! "

Very rare the only abs work I do is sit ups

Most off my core strength comes from wighted pull ups and standing behind the neck military press

By *ontrosebicoupMan
over a year ago

MONTROSE

"PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56

I will improve

Most off my core strength comes from wighted pull ups and standing behind the neck military press "

I'm a gym owner and that's just out a lucky bag

By *ack 500Man
over a year ago

stafford

[Removed by poster at 19/09/22 10:44:08]

over a year ago

"PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56

I will improve

Most off my core strength comes from wighted pull ups and standing behind the neck military press I'm a gym owner and that's just out a lucky bag"

Talk to urijah faber it was his to start with he was doing it from 250 and I decided to show him up

over a year ago

Love the gym, great to get fit and for the mind.

I'm on a push, pull, leg workout. It's been great helping me cut a lot of weight.

By *ack 500Man
over a year ago

stafford

"I’m a Strength & conditioning coach so any help just ask , 163kg bench natural at 14 & a half stone

Don’t forget those leg days "

I walk on my hands so they are not needed

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

What's your PB?

Yes

2-3 days compounds, 2-3 boxing, long wild swims

115kg bench , 21:13 5k run, 1hr47 half marathon, 9min Plank, 2.5 hours wild swim.

I love it , it’s all for fun but I love seeing how my body changes when I workout really hard for a few weeks

over a year ago

Great to see so many keeping fit, and any newbies welcome. It's good to support each other. I've started running again and notice after couple months a big difference. Looking into triathlon. Train 3-5 times week. Vary workouts plan to mix it up

over a year ago

North West

"PB for sit ups

500 from 20kg drop sets

100 at 15kg

100 at 10kg

100 at 5kg

100 with no wight

Then a fun set at 10kg

For 56

I will improve

That squeezey together one is the most suggestive machine in the whole gym.

Pretty please can we not sexualise excercises. My ex used to call the hip abduction and adduction machines "good girl, bad girl machines" and I hated it. "

Agree 100%,

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"I’m a Strength & conditioning coach so any help just ask , 163kg bench natural at 14 & a half stone

Don’t forget those leg days "

I never do leg day

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

I used to compete and was fairly strong. Back in the day bench 180, squat 240, deadlift 300, yoke walk 440, farmers 160, overhead push press 150.

Now I still train in my little garage gym. Usually 4 days a week.

Current pbs

Bench 140

Squat 180

Deadlift 220

So still moderately strong. But now I'm a lot light and can do loads of pull ups

Mr

over a year ago

Bench - 120kgx5

Squat - 155kgx1

Deadlift -170kgx1

An injury stopped me deadlifting so it was a bit lower than it should be. I’m nowhere near these lifts now because I do high reps with lower weights and I’ve been a bit inconsistent the last few months due to injury, holidays and a recurring health problem.

Post new Message to Thread