Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Vinyl

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Why does music sound better when listening to it on vinyl? Is it psychological or is there something physical in it? Obviously digital music is cleaner, chrisper, sharper and clearer, but there's something about vinyl that can't be replicated. That smell when the needle touches the LP. It's very faint but there. That slightly authentic crackle definitely adds to the feeling, as you don't just hear music, but you physically and emotionally feel it too. My first addition Ziggy Stardust (yes that is a brag) is in fantastic condition for a 50 year old album, but it is flawed. However it still sounds infinitely better than than the digital version. Why is that?There's something about listening to vinyl that makes me feel different to when I listen to digital music. I just can't quite put my finger on it or articulate it properly. I don't know if it's in my head or there's something else happening.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I like the crackle. I find it soothing.

But you know what I don’t miss? Fluff on the needle!

over a year ago

"I like the crackle. I find it soothing.

But you know what I don’t miss? Fluff on the needle! "

Yeah the crackle is definitely a plus. The fluff is never a problem, just clean it or a new needle when it's needed.

By *tylebender03Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Vinyl definitely sounds better than CDs or cassettes ever did, it’s the best/highest quality physical form of music media there is, think that’s why it’s seen a surge in popularity in recent years

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I used to like listening to Alan Freeman

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I still have all my old vinyl collection, but have you seen the price of it nowadays

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"I still have all my old vinyl collection, but have you seen the price of it nowadays "

I’ve got Slade on vinyl 45 and 33, do ya reckon there worth a few quid.

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

I'm not a connoisseur of Vinyl so I don't have much experience of it, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but from my understanding the things that we perceive as "better sounding" on vinyl are the slight imperfections that may be present, like warping, crackle and hiss.

We like these sounds to the point where many producers (those who compose on computers anyway) will use tools specifically designed to make their music sound "more vinyl" These more or less a whole genre/style of music built around it, it's called lo-fi.

Without these sounds a track can sometimes sound a bit dull and lifeless (depending on your stylistic choices and genre of course, if you're making EDM it's probably not a problem). These sounds keep the track sounding interesting on a level that most won't notice until it's removed, the subtle changes stop the ears from becoming too accustomed to the sound.

It's bizarre to think that music that is perfectly produced and is free from imperfections often sounds a bit wrong to us.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Unlike streaming music or listening to a CD, playing an album on vinyl takes time and effort. It is a far more tactile experience.

It requires care and attention.

Removing the record from the sleeve, placing it on the turntable and carefully letting the needle drop into the groove.

A vinyl album only holds (roughly) 40 minutes of music, so it is a more concise listening experience (too many artists felt obliged to make their albums 70 minutes long just because that’s how much data could be crammed into them digitally - quantity over quality became the CD norm).

Unlike streaming music, a vinyl album has a beginning, middle (when we flip them over) and an end.

And then there’s the cover art and packaging.

These days the biggest down side to being a vinyl lover is the cost.

I suppose the bottom line for me is that (to my ears) music on vinyl just sound better because it has a warmth that you don’t get listening to music digitally x

By *igNick1381Man
over a year ago

BRIDGEND

I get fluff on the needle from my boxer's sometimes

By *hillenCouple
over a year ago

Borehamwood

I have a friend who played bassoon semi professionally and in his opinion suggesting vinyl gives a better sound is nonsense. I wouldn't know but am willing to trust his judgement.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I still have all my old vinyl collection, but have you seen the price of it nowadays

I’ve got Slade on vinyl 45 and 33, do ya reckon there worth a few quid. "

Dunno about Slade, but there's plenty of Perry Como and The Nolans albums in charity shops

over a year ago

There is no compression on vinyl compared to a digital version of the same track/album, you loose quality when compressed and you loose some frequencies.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Digital is compressed so loses quality...vinyl is not. I still have a lot of mine.

over a year ago

Fluff on the needle is a fantastic euphemism

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

"There is no compression on vinyl compared to a digital version of the same track/album, you loose quality when compressed and you loose some frequencies."

Sorry did not see your post.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Load of old bollocks, put on the disc, wait for the music to start and then that bloody scratch.

So listening to Bowie singing the first line of ‘life on Mars’ endlessly.

Yes love Vinyl got loads of it, some not scratched

over a year ago

"Digital is compressed so loses quality...vinyl is not. I still have a lot of mine."

Not only that. Digitally recorded music doesn't have room dynamics picked up from the mics they used to capture amps. Those nuances are so important to old music recorded properly

over a year ago

Trouble with vinyl is the sound deteriorates over time, the more its played the more it deteriorates, its the low end frequencies that tend to go first, I have thousands of tunes on vinyl and I wish they sounded as fresh today as the day I bought them

over a year ago

Vynil is different. cd's are digitised and put on cd at 44100kb. Totally different from records, they are analogue which means you get to hear all the frequencies and harmonics, which a cd cannot do

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

"Unlike streaming music or listening to a CD, playing an album on vinyl takes time and effort. It is a far more tactile experience.

Removing the record from the sleeve, placing it on the turntable and carefully letting the needle drop into the groove.

A vinyl album only holds (roughly) 40 minutes of music, so it is a more concise listening experience (too many artists felt obliged to make their albums 70 minutes long just because that’s how much data could be crammed into them digitally - quantity over quality became the CD norm).

Unlike streaming music, a vinyl album has a beginning, middle (when we flip them over) and an end.

I suppose the bottom line for me is that (to my ears) music on vinyl just sound better because it has a warmth that you don’t get listening to music digitally x

"

You my friend have summed up everything I have to say about the subject

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

I find that the sound is delightfully raw and enriching and quite vivid. Whereas CD/digitised music sounds clinical and 'processed'.

I think it's a combination of psychological - emphasised by the crackling from the stylus and the 'concert hall' effect and the acoustic perception.

By *urhamdebbiecdTV/TS
over a year ago

bishop auckland

I prefer vinyl

By *arkandlovelyWoman
over a year ago

South Derbyshire

I am just starting to get into vinyl. IMO it's a different experience to listening to, say, Spotify. Listening to an album in full gives you more of a sense of it as a piece of art and a story or concept. And watching the vinyl undulating slightly unevenly as it spins is so soothing, almost romantic.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I think it's at least partly nostalgia. Vinyl always felt more special as a kid. They weren't in shitty plastic cases that easily got cracked and broken and they weren't easily copied like CDs. As a kid, only my parents (usually my dad) were allowed to touch the vinyl records and playing them always felt like more of an occasion.

My dad finds it interesting because he has memories of CDs first going on sale and going down to the record shop and just marvelling for ages at how perfect it sounded.

By *ittlemiss1985Woman
over a year ago

Lansing

I love vinyl, but I'm young enough to remember having both vinyl and CDs and I was never allowed to put a record on by myself.

I got lucky that there's a great used record shop in my area where I can find stuff I like for cheap.

over a year ago

Hello .

Vinyl DJ is from far much more exciting and amusing and gives much more butterflies in the heart . I Stil find it more fascinating then new school digital mixers even u can get much more results with loops and cuts and all those effects fireworks ( “ leave the record alone “) … Digital u can get top remix level . Infinite . Then print it back out on vynil n play

Would love that ^^.

Don’t know how much longer vynil show will last . With all this high tech .

But big up …

Who doesn’t love a bit of finger wiggle wiggle

over a year ago

Loved reading some of these replies. Hit the nail right on the head.

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

When the CD boom was in full flight and they were seriously expensive I really didn't have an interest..then when the prices started to drop I got into them..now that's all I buy..do I miss records..no I don't..I much prefer the cd format.... also I tend to buy load's of stuff on cd I'd probably never would have bought on vinyl..I also quite enjoy the random play selection with CDs so I can put an album on and it plays in a total different order that the band intended it to be listened to.. only thing I do miss about vinyl is you can't play a cd backwards and hear the satanic messages..

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

[Removed by poster at 19/09/22 05:06:02]

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"[8-track system Removed by HottNott poster at 19/09/22 05:06:02]"

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

The sound quality capability of CDs is actually far superior than vinyl, check out some of the first CDs made by people like Trevor Horn in the 80s , Frankie goes to Hollywood etc. it’s just not possible to place sounds into a 3D space like that when cutting vinyl.

Also top end vocals are notoriously bad and distort on vinyl because they have to cut grooves so deep, you don't get this on CD. Bass on vinyl is really bad too.

The love of vinyl and crackling is just nostalgia, quality is poor that’s why CDs were invented.

Now CDs are being discontinued those original pressed high quality CDs made by the pioneers are more valuable than old vinyl.

Ive been buying them allup for around 2 years

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"[8-track system Removed by HottNott poster at 19/09/22 05:06:02]"

It’s not the same ! Listen to Relax or Two Tribes , you just can’t do than using analog , even with 32 tracks!

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Still have all of my original vinyls. What I used to do was to compile my own music from them onto cassette tape, so that I could keep the original vinyl in good condition, as well as having the portability of tapes in my Walkman and car.

So glad I didn’t throw or giveaway my collection, when a lot of people did when CDs became more popular. I thought it was a shame when vinyls began to be phased out. I believe I have some rare vinyls and rule the day I broke my father’s original Bill Haley’s ‘Rock around the Clock’ 78.

J

By *lecom1Couple
over a year ago

Stornoway

"Vynil is different. cd's are digitised and put on cd at 44100kb. Totally different from records, they are analogue which means you get to hear all the frequencies and harmonics, which a cd cannot do"

Plus digital is cut off at 25khz with analogue you hear the sub harmonics of the higher frequencies the ear cannot hear.

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

"Vynil is different. cd's are digitised and put on cd at 44100kb. Totally different from records, they are analogue which means you get to hear all the frequencies and harmonics, which a cd cannot do

Plus digital is cut off at 25khz with analogue you hear the sub harmonics of the higher frequencies the ear cannot hear."

They hear things that cannot be heard ^

By *arrenandhisduckCouple
over a year ago

blackpool

I've just parted with my vinyl collection due to lack of space, but just loved everything about it, the sound, picking something out to listen to, organising, finding a random record that you love just brilliant!

I'm a huge Northern Soul fan & there's a brilliant little record shop in town ,honestly spent so long in there & got so excited to find a single that I liked

over a year ago

It’s because has something to do with the dynamic range, which I believe on vinyl is much lower and therefore, for me the music will always sound better on vinyl since the sound of music will be more open, allowing a greater diversity to be heard, hence why it’s better. Disadvantage is the price tag but still worth it for the experience and pleasure it brings.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Vynil is different. cd's are digitised and put on cd at 44100kb. Totally different from records, they are analogue which means you get to hear all the frequencies and harmonics, which a cd cannot do

Plus digital is cut off at 25khz with analogue you hear the sub harmonics of the higher frequencies the ear cannot hear."

If you're talking dynamic range that's wrong.

From an article I found online.

"Jason Corey, recording engineer and professor of performing arts technology at the University of Michigan says that by almost every objective measure, given an acceptable bitrate (the amount of data per second the audio file contains), digital is going to be superior to vinyl."

"Dynamic range: The difference between loud sounds and quiet sounds. Digital allows for a much wider dynamic range than vinyl.

Because an analog recording carves a continuous representation waveform into the vinyl while digital merely samples the waveform, vinyl-loving audiophiles sometimes argue that the sampling required to make a digital recording doesn’t get the full sound. However, that’s not quite the problem. Even though digital recordings require that snapshots of the audio are taken at given intervals, as long as enough snapshots are taken, we are still getting a true representation of the original sound, Corey explains.

For example, if a digital recording contains at least 40,000 samples or snapshots per second — and CDs use 44,100 samples per second — we can accurately reconstruct the original, continuous analog waveform up to the limits of human hearing (frequencies up to 20,000 Hz)."

A

over a year ago

Plus digital is cut off at 25khz with analogue you hear the sub harmonics of the higher frequencies the ear cannot hear.

"Jason Corey, recording engineer and professor of performing arts technology at the University of Michigan says that by almost every objective measure, given an acceptable bitrate (the amount of data per second the audio file contains), digital is going to be superior to vinyl."

"Dynamic range: The difference between loud sounds and quiet sounds. Digital allows for a much wider dynamic range than vinyl.

Because an analog recording carves a continuous representation waveform into the vinyl while digital merely samples the waveform, vinyl-loving audiophiles sometimes argue that the sampling required to make a digital recording doesn’t get the full sound. However, that’s not quite the problem. Even though digital recordings require that snapshots of the audio are taken at given intervals, as long as enough snapshots are taken, we are still getting a true representation of the original sound, Corey explains.

For example, if a digital recording contains at least 40,000 samples or snapshots per second — and CDs use 44,100 samples per second — we can accurately reconstruct the original, continuous analog waveform up to the limits of human hearing (frequencies up to 20,000 Hz)."

A"

I’m sorry but have to correct your statement “If you're talking dynamic range that's wrong.” This is not entirely correct.

It’s all to do with the dynamic range. In main, it’s all to do with details which are missed and therefore the overall quality is reduced. This happens because the music is compressed which is why on a vinyl if you listen carefully to the music it will always sound much better.

Because on a vinyl record the space of the grooves are more open, allowing a greater quantity of features to be heard. This allows you to locate and individuate particular instruments and sounds and observe how they contribute to the music as a whole. This way, diversity can be heard. Dynamic range.

over a year ago

A"

In my original post I think I said digital music is superior in quality. Not quite explained like that, but along those lines. There's something about vinyl that digital music can't replicate though. Some people on this thread have given their reasons as to why they prefer vinyl over digital. I by far and away listen to so much more digital music. I love the ease, having anything I want at a click of button. Linking it up to my car or home stereo in an instant. The sound quality. All those reasons, it's fucking amazing. However I was sat yesterday, having a drink, getting my vinyl out, listening, and the joy, the physical and emotional feeling it gave me, far outweighed the pros that digital music has over vinyl.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

I’m sorry but have to correct your statement “If you're talking dynamic range that's wrong.” This is not entirely correct.

It’s all to do with the dynamic range. In main, it’s all to do with details which are missed and therefore the overall quality is reduced. This happens because the music is compressed which is why on a vinyl if you listen carefully to the music it will always sound much better.

Because on a vinyl record the space of the grooves are more open, allowing a greater quantity of features to be heard. This allows you to locate and individuate particular instruments and sounds and observe how they contribute to the music as a whole. This way, diversity can be heard. Dynamic range.

"

I've just read about a dozen articles on the vinyl vs digital debate (because I'm lying in bed bored).

They all say the same. From a technical perspective digital will produce better sound quality. Digital audio doesn't have to be compressed, much like digital photography doesn't. The same argument has been around with film vs digital images for decades and the result is usually the same.

Vinyl and film win for nostalgic reasons. Digital for superior quality.

A

over a year ago

I collect both vinyl and CD and still have all my original Beatles and Rolling Stones vinyl albums but tend to play CDs the more to keep my albums in good condition. Is vinyl better than CD? Yes if you want you hear flawless music! I like a bit of crackle myself.

By *ittleMyWoman
over a year ago

Stockport

"Unlike streaming music or listening to a CD, playing an album on vinyl takes time and effort. It is a far more tactile experience.

You my friend have summed up everything I have to say about the subject "

I came here to say the same! Beautiful reply! x

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Another thing about vinyl is gazing at the album cover artwork. Rainbow Rising is a specially classic cover. Also inside sleeve can be quite spectacular...Kiss Alive II for example.

over a year ago

A

I've just read about a dozen articles on the vinyl vs digital debate (because I'm lying in bed bored).

They all say the same. From a technical perspective digital will produce better sound quality. Digital audio doesn't have to be compressed, much like digital photography doesn't. The same argument has been around with film vs digital images for decades and the result is usually the same.

A"

Yes, but it’s your initial statement that was wrong.

Also, reading about what others have written and actually listening to notice the difference are entirely two separate things.

You are correct in the sense that the music is much crisper sounding, but I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s better simply because vinyl has much more to deliver.

“Quality” is to do with it matching the nearest recording as well as the nostalgia which is why it makes it better.

over a year ago

"[8-track system Removed by HottNott poster at 19/09/22 05:06:02]

It’s not the same ! Listen to Relax or Two Tribes , you just can’t do than using analog , even with 32 tracks! "

I still have the Relax single on cassette somewhere. Listening to the new York mix on spotify, I felt that it lacked the power of listening to it when I was younger. Maybe it hasn't aged well or the sound on spotify, even set on HQ, falls just short.

I agree with Lacey Red, people forget that playing vinyl was like handling a ticking bomb. There's no fun in that or listening to scratched vinyl or CDS. I was heartbroken when an ex accidentally scratched a rare bootleg CD. I believe that in this digital age, the artists should release everything, demos, outtakes, disused songs. One of my favourite songs was unreleased for 29 years. I love the deluxe editions but now in this age of no attention span I fear that the album will die. This will be a real shame, the loss of the joy of listening to something fresh and brilliant.

By *rNaughtyNickMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Have way too much vinyl mainly 90s dance music wouldn't dare part any of it soo many great memories x

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

A

Also, reading about what others have written and actually listening to notice the difference are entirely two separate things.

You are correct in the sense that the music is much crisper sounding, but I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s better simply because vinyl has much more to deliver.

“Quality” is to do with it matching the nearest recording as well as the nostalgia which is why it makes it better."

It wasn't my statement. It was a quote from a sound engineer and music professor but hey........

It's a subject that people will always take one side or the other. Your idea of 'better' isn't mine. Nostalgia is an emotion, not a measure of quality or a benchmark that you can standardise.

I'll take an expert's technical opinion on 'quality' over anyone else's any day of the week. Same as I'd take a decent car mechanics over a hobbyist, or a sommelier over someone who likes a tipple.

But as I said. It's a subject where if you place any importance on nostalgia or emotions then that will sway your view.

A

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

I think it depends upon what one is listening to. I think rock music is definitely better on vinyl, whereas electronica, say like Tangerine Dream, is better on CD - only my opinion of course. The lastest 'digital' musical, as opposed to CDs - I'm talking FLAC downloads, for example - is not compressed at all.

I went CD from the day it was launched, mainly to do with the alleged longevity (though I do have some CDs that have definitely deteriorated!) and when I listen to some of those early CDs, the sound quality actually isn't that wonderful - however, more recent CDs, especially SACDs, I think one would struggle to argue with the sound being anything other than first class.

I do miss the LP artwork, though - when I was a geek teenager (Mrs Bicpl says I still am...) I'd spend hours reading the sleeve notes and some albums came with posters and stickers! (DSOTM, for example).

So, to conclude - clinical-type music: digital. Rock: vinyl.

But...MP3 is crap!

Mr Bicpl.

over a year ago

A

A

“Quality” is to do with it matching the nearest recording as well as the nostalgia which is why it makes it better.

It wasn't my statement. It was a quote from a sound engineer and music professor but hey........

It's a subject that people will always take one side or the other. Your idea of 'better' isn't mine. Nostalgia is an emotion, not a measure of quality or a benchmark that you can standardise.

I'll take an expert's technical opinion on 'quality' over anyone else's any day of the week. Same as I'd take a decent car mechanics over a hobbyist, or a sommelier over someone who likes a tipple.

But as I said. It's a subject where if you place any importance on nostalgia or emotions then that will sway your view.

A"

With all due respect, please do read your statement again and try to understand what the article by engineer has said.

Vinyl is a lossless format. The pressings are made straight from the masters and contain all of the detail the artist intended.

We can but agree to disagree, happy listening.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

A

A

With all due respect, please do read your statement again and try to understand what the article by engineer has said.

Vinyl is a lossless format. The pressings are made straight from the masters and contain all of the detail the artist intended.

We can but agree to disagree, happy listening."

And digital lossless will contain all that detail with less noise and distortion as well as greater dynamic range (90db vs 70db for vinyl), without quality being impacted by any physical imperfections in either the vinyl itself, the needle or turntable used.

We can agree to disagree, yes.

A

over a year ago

I came here to say the same! Beautiful reply! x"

Completely agree. That was the word I was looking for 'warmth'. Digital music lacks it.

over a year ago

I came here to say the same! Beautiful reply! x

Completely agree. That was the word I was looking for 'warmth'. Digital music lacks it. "

100%

over a year ago

“Vinyl is a lossless format.”

The pressings are made straight from the masters and contain all of the detail the artist intended. It's for this reason that vinyl sounds better than digital.

For comparison, listening to vinyl as opposed to digital is like viewing the Mona Lisa with your own eyes rather than looking at a picture of it on a smartphone.

This is why you will hear other vinyl enthusiasts discussing the warm sound they get from their record players.

Enjoy xxx

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

I've still got my ancient vinyl...there's definitely something warm about it...all recorded in analogue so it's never been chopped up digitally

over a year ago

"I've still got my ancient vinyl...there's definitely something warm about it...all recorded in analogue so it's never been chopped up digitally "

Keep hold of them, since I very much regret having sold some of my vinyls, Denon and Marantz sound systems because I needed the money at the time.

Vinyls lost which I cannot now easily find or buy.

over a year ago

"I've still got my ancient vinyl...there's definitely something warm about it...all recorded in analogue so it's never been chopped up digitally

Keep hold of them, since I very much regret having sold some of my vinyls, Denon and Marantz sound systems because I needed the money at the time.

Vinyls lost which I cannot now easily find or buy. "

Discogs is a good place to start

over a year ago

"I've still got my ancient vinyl...there's definitely something warm about it...all recorded in analogue so it's never been chopped up digitally

Discogs is a good place to start"

Thank you xxx

By *wingin CatMan
over a year ago

London

I've been a record collector since the mid-70s. It's not just about how they sound - it's also aesthetics. The look of a record, the cover and the artwork that has gone into it, such as gatefold sleeves, lyric sheets, inner sleeve artwork, and sometimes coloured vinyl - the kind of scope you don't get with a CD.

But I'm biased anyway, and I'll always say that music sounds better on vinyl!

over a year ago

I used to DJ on vinyl back in the late 90's early 2000's. I'll still listen to vinyl over any other audio format. There is just something about it.

over a year ago

"I've been a record collector since the mid-70s. It's not just about how they sound - it's also aesthetics. The look of a record, the cover and the artwork that has gone into it, such as gatefold sleeves, lyric sheets, inner sleeve artwork, and sometimes coloured vinyl - the kind of scope you don't get with a CD.

But I'm biased anyway, and I'll always say that music sounds better on vinyl! "

Yes, album artwork and inserts are just great!

over a year ago

Vinyls lost which I cannot now easily find or buy. "

You can still pick up some great vinyl at bootsales too.

over a year ago

You can still pick up some great vinyl at bootsales too. "

It’s rare can find good kept quality but yes you are right sometimes can get lucky...

Thank you xxx

By *ornLordMan
over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

I listen to lots of music where a lack of rumble, crackle and hiss is important. For that alone, CDs have it over LPs every time for me, whatever the arguments about stuff at the top end of the frequency range that we can't actually hear.

By *tooveMan
over a year ago

belfast

Records

Not vinyl. No one ever bought vinyl except hipsters who now think it makes them cool. People bought records. Had record players.

By *tooveMan
over a year ago

belfast

"When the CD boom was in full flight and they were seriously expensive I really didn't have an interest..then when the prices started to drop I got into them..now that's all I buy..do I miss records..no I don't..I much prefer the cd format.... also I tend to buy load's of stuff on cd I'd probably never would have bought on vinyl..I also quite enjoy the random play selection with CDs so I can put an album on and it plays in a total different order that the band intended it to be listened to.. only thing I do miss about vinyl is you can't play a cd backwards and hear the satanic messages.. "

Yeah but hipsters like vinyl. Most don't have a clue about the real cool bits of it. Too busy talking shite about hissing and skipping. None ever mention the wee messages on the records and sometimes on the record covers.

over a year ago

"

I’ve got Slade on vinyl 45 and 33, do ya reckon there worth a few quid. "

Probably not, I have 27 Slade singles and 12 LPs [9 of those on CD as well) plus another 7 on CD

By *ornLordMan
over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

"Records

Not vinyl. No one ever bought vinyl except hipsters who now think it makes them cool. People bought records. Had record players. "

Yup. Vinyl's what on my kitchen floor - the right place for it.

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

I think it's more to do with the ritual of vinyl.

The art on the cover.

Taking it out cleaning the record and needle.

Lifting the arm seeing the turntable spin and placing the needle on exactly the right spot and the wait before it starts.

Also there is the romance of making a tape for the girl you like because she knows the effort you went to make it just for her

By *immyGGMan
over a year ago

South Cheshire

I absolutely love vinyl for the way it sounds, but as someone who does some amateur DJ'ing it becomes a little impractical finding the space to store it all. My digital library dwarfs my vinyl collection.

By *tooveMan
over a year ago

belfast

"Records

Not vinyl. No one ever bought vinyl except hipsters who now think it makes them cool. People bought records. Had record players.

Yup. Vinyl's what on my kitchen floor - the right place for it."

Totally. Boring as fuck all these hipsters now into vinyl and thinking it's cool and trendy. My record collection probably pisses over them all and I've bought one record since the mid nineties.

By *ensualMan
over a year ago

Sutton

Personally, I suspect that there is a load of nostalgia and it was better back in the 'day ism".

When I was young I lived between 3 places so lugging vinyl around was not happening so for ease cassettes were better. I think people forget that audiophiles back in the day listened on tape either reel to reel or super 8 or had really expensive hifi systems. Your average household system or bedroom all in one record player made a nice noise but was not " hifi". Certainly from a soul perspective it was nice listening to vinyl at home, but it was only when you went to club you heard the full potential.

Back in the day the hiss and crackle was a sign a badly kept record. You gently lowered the needle on the record to avoid any noise. It was an art.

Vinyl as someone said is incredibly fragile and wears out.

Try making a mixtape with vinyl, go one try!

Personally I was more a fan of digital cassettes, they were portable and the same sound quality as vinyl in my view.

I still have 30 year old digital cassettes I inherited from older brother. When I play them to people they match vinyl, they were easily portable, contained more songs, and you choose what's on it.

Vinyl is a marketing nostalgia trip in my view.

over a year ago

Went to a record fair in Liverpool yesterday and was (again) dismayed at what sellers charge for second hand records in very ordinary condition. I know it's supply and demand and all that but rocking up to a record fair these days with less than £30 or 40 will leave you disappointed.

After what seemed like hours I found a good copy of A Drop of the Hard Stuff by the Dubliners for a fiver and left happy but underwhelmed.

By *tuartandKateNottsCouple
over a year ago

Wollaton

Actually.... the first line of 'Life on Mars' being played on a continual loop.... you've given me an idea for my funeral. Thanks!

S x

By *tuartandKateNottsCouple
over a year ago

Wollaton

Good choice. 'Slayed' was my first album, a few years (ok, decades... and quite a few of them!) back.

S.

over a year ago

I think audiophiles agree that there are simply differences in the reproduction of music on vinyl and CDs rather than one being better, although aesthetically vinyl is obviously way superior. The quality of the pressing (for both) and your equipment will always be the decisive factor.

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Personally, I suspect that there is a load of nostalgia and it was better back in the 'day ism".

When I was young I lived between 3 places so lugging vinyl around was not happening so for ease cassettes were better. I think people forget that audiophiles back in the day listened on tape either reel to reel or super 8 or had really expensive hifi systems. Your average household system or bedroom all in one record player made a nice noise but was not " hifi". Certainly from a soul perspective it was nice listening to vinyl at home, but it was only when you went to club you heard the full potential.

Back in the day the hiss and crackle was a sign a badly kept record. You gently lowered the needle on the record to avoid any noise. It was an art.

Vinyl as someone said is incredibly fragile and wears out.

Try making a mixtape with vinyl, go one try!

Personally I was more a fan of digital cassettes, they were portable and the same sound quality as vinyl in my view.

I still have 30 year old digital cassettes I inherited from older brother. When I play them to people they match vinyl, they were easily portable, contained more songs, and you choose what's on it.

Vinyl is a marketing nostalgia trip in my view.

"

The 'hifi' mags, e.g. HiFi Choice or HiFi News, plus others no doubt, are currently having a major reel-to-reel revival - just wish I a) had the space and b) knew where to get a decent machine.

Mr Bicpl

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

If you like the crackle, try listening to 78rpm discs on a wind up gramaphone. I've got Cliff Richard and the Drifters, yes The Drifters as that's what they were called before becoming The Shadows, on 78 on a wind up gramaphone that's nearly 100 years old, and it sounds just like it was recorded in a chip shop with the deep fat fryer keeping tempo.

By *wingin CatMan
over a year ago

London

But you know what I don’t miss? Fluff on the needle!

If you like the crackle, try listening to 78rpm discs on a wind up gramaphone. I've got Cliff Richard and the Drifters, yes The Drifters as that's what they were called before becoming The Shadows, on 78 on a wind up gramaphone that's nearly 100 years old, and it sounds just like it was recorded in a chip shop with the deep fat fryer keeping tempo. "

Those Cliff and the Drifters/Shadows 78s are worth serious money (well, anything between £40 and £300, depending which one you have). 7 or 8 were issued between 1958 and 1960. I wouldn't play your one on your wind-up gramophone too much though - the heavy sound box will cause it to wear, no matter how many times you change your needle.

Post new Message to Thread