Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Energy bills this winter…

Jump to newest

By *rivextr OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Is a recession hitting us? Will it be bad? Worse than the previous economic crisis….

What are you guys thinking… covid, now the war in Ukraine is really making it difficult for many :-/

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think it will be very bad for some people and they will be told to make economies and put a hat on indoors

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think it will be very difficult.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

By the end of the month I will have used about 60 quid in electricity, and barely been at home. I can track the usage etc, I wasn't at home at all yesterday and managed to use £3.30. Everything is switched off at the socket other than the fridge and smart meter.

Damn you standing charges from hell.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"By the end of the month I will have used about 60 quid in electricity, and barely been at home. I can track the usage etc, I wasn't at home at all yesterday and managed to use £3.30. Everything is switched off at the socket other than the fridge and smart meter.

Damn you standing charges from hell."

we use that at the moment and we have a lot more than that running

By *lecom1Couple
over a year ago

Stornoway

£49 a month last year, now £107 and they're talking about an 80% increase the 1st of October. Heating oil last year was £309 for 500 litres now over £600. So we cut a lot more peat this year, put a new multi fuel stove in the lounge, been scrounging wood all year.

By *urplePumpkinCouple
over a year ago

Evesham

Our your monthly gas and electric is £145 atm and we only have a 3 double bedroom house.

We do have teenage kids tho and all of their mates around.

Washing machine is on 2 times a day on average

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Haven't they capped it? And we are getting money back ?

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I think some people will freeze to death in their own homes this winter. Ironically, this winter I predict, will be the warmest ever.

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

It will be extremely difficult. The government's plan may take the edge of some of it, but it will still be a sledgehamner to the economy. And this is under the assumption that market prices remain as is, which they won't.

We will see significant public discontent throughout the UK and Europe. I predict a few governments will fall before winter is out.

By *avexxMan
over a year ago

cheshire

hope to god we have mild winter,,

over a year ago

Things will just get worse sadly. With energy bills and food prices rocketing I am very worried about the knock on effect it will have on society.

Maybe people will get angry and actually begin to protest more? I cant see any end to the war in Ukraine at all.

over a year ago

“Will it be bad”? It’s already bad and will compound the damage austerity has done… worse thing is that people who are working are in deep deep trouble which is scary… when the money you earn can’t put food on the table. This with the lowest unemployment in decades… it points to be a catastrophic period in time.

By *urplePumpkinCouple
over a year ago

Evesham

Luckily we have a coal open fire and have been stockpiling our coal so atleast we will be warm in our open plan kitchen/diner/lounge with the kids and dogs lol

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Once it was privatised, you were always going to get rinsed. Should have left it as the leccy and gas boards. They're lining their pockets, as usual

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

This crisis is going to be bad. Personally I'm going to be just about ok. But I have had to shelve my retirement plans again. Our government are not going to help, unless you are rich

By *entative_steps7781Couple
over a year ago

Home

Yes, it's already hitting us hard. And tbh can only see it getting worse, which is incredibly scary

MJ x

By *asycouple1971Couple
over a year ago

midlands

Had to put the heating on yesterday, 1st time in ages.

Felt good and bad to put the heating on.

over a year ago

Hot water bottle or spooning partner maybe a solution.

over a year ago

"Once it was privatised, you were always going to get rinsed. Should have left it as the leccy and gas boards. They're lining their pockets, as usual "

I wonder when the next quarter results come in with bumper profits again how they and the shower in power will justify it

By *teveuk77Man
over a year ago

uk

"By the end of the month I will have used about 60 quid in

electricity, and barely been at home. I can track the usage etc, I wasn't at home at all yesterday and managed to use £3.30. Everything is switched off at the socket other than the fridge and smart meter.Damn you standing charges from hell."

Overnight, my electricity consumption is about 0.04kw every 30 mins so about 2kwh in 24hrs. That's fridge freezer on, TV and microwave on standby, oven clock on, couple of devices charging, 4x echo dots, 2 monitors on standby.

2kwh is about 52p and the standing charge about the same so just over £1.

Not sure how you used more than £2 more than me if you weren't at home most of the day.

My daily consumption is typical about 8kwh so £2.50 plus standing charge. That includes washing washing, dishwasher and TV for 2-3 hours. Plus microwave / air fryer and working from home.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Some people are going to die. Other people, with shares in the energy companies, will get even richer.

By *avexxMan
over a year ago

cheshire

i can see unrest coming maybe riots.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Haven't they capped it? And we are getting money back ?"

Yes it's capped and we're getting £400 in monthly installments of £66 and £67. The capped rate is still much higher than it was last winter though

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

As a pensioner over the age of 80 I will be getting total benefit of £1000 made up of the 6 monthly discounts on Energy, Pension Cost of living, and Winter fuel Allowance, What really annoys me is that my sister who gets a six figure private pension will get the same benefit. In all fairness she has said she will donate it to charity.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"As a pensioner over the age of 80 I will be getting total benefit of £1000 made up of the 6 monthly discounts on Energy, Pension Cost of living, and Winter fuel Allowance, What really annoys me is that my sister who gets a six figure private pension will get the same benefit. In all fairness she has said she will donate it to charity."

It's probably more cost effy to give as a blanket benefit than means test it

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

*effective

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Supply issues may come into play as well. High costs plus blackouts might be even more socially chaotic.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"As a pensioner over the age of 80 I will be getting total benefit of £1000 made up of the 6 monthly discounts on Energy, Pension Cost of living, and Winter fuel Allowance, What really annoys me is that my sister who gets a six figure private pension will get the same benefit. In all fairness she has said she will donate it to charity.

It's probably more cost effy to give as a blanket benefit than means test it "

Be interesting to see who benefits from this coming Friday's Tax Cut Mini Budget.

over a year ago

I'm in credit by over £1000 with a Dd of £140 pcm. They wanted to increase it to £195 pcm. I refused and told them to start billing me monthly.

I work from home most of the week so I boil a pan of water ( gas as cheaper) then pour into a large flask. Stays quite hot all day.

My electric shower has 2 heat settings so I just had it on the lowest setting.

Invest in chargeable battery banks. You can find ones that can fully charge a mobile phone and tablet several times.

If you have a newish TV, try playing around with eco settings to reduce electric use.

Post new Message to Thread