Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

December 3rd International day of disabled people

Jump to newest

By *he tactile technician OP   Man
over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

31 years since the very first UN international day of disabled people and the mantra still remains the same, the dismantling of barriers and equal access to the everyday things in life that people take for granted, unless you just happen to be disabled. How will you be making an effort to dismantle those barriers tomorrow?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I won't be doing anything unless I meet any barriers specifically.

over a year ago

"I won't be doing anything unless I meet any barriers specifically. "
physical? attitudinal? systemically? being specific is all well and good, but can you be more precise?

over a year ago

evesham

"I won't be doing anything unless I meet any barriers specifically. physical? attitudinal? systemically? being specific is all well and good, but can you be more precise?

"

As far as I understand it, the equality law is to help those who can't access or are refused access to services etc due to their protected characteristics. It's not there for do gooders to go round pointing out what problems there may be.

I may be wrong but when I worked on an equality helpline we would not get actively involved if the complainant was not trying to access that service for themselves or on behalf of someone they cared for.

Therefore the purpose of international disability day in my mind is not to force able bodied people to identify and breakdown perceived barriers, but to raise awareness of disability and encourage inclusion and understanding.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Tomorrow I get to do two school talks about blind awareness and how guide dogs help. Just another normal day for me. Thanks for bringing up the event thou most thoughtful.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I hope it is a fantastic day of celebration & wow what a year.

and a reminder that despite some of life's challenges being laid down, greatness can be achieved.

all the best and thanks for a great summer 2012 x

and many, many more x

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"I won't be doing anything unless I meet any barriers specifically. physical? attitudinal? systemically? being specific is all well and good, but can you be more precise?

As far as I understand it, the equality law is to help those who can't access or are refused access to services etc due to their protected characteristics. It's not there for do gooders to go round pointing out what problems there may be.

I may be wrong but when I worked on an equality helpline we would not get actively involved if the complainant was not trying to access that service for themselves or on behalf of someone they cared for.

Therefore the purpose of international disability day in my mind is not to force able bodied people to identify and breakdown perceived barriers, but to raise awareness of disability and encourage inclusion and understanding. "

Well put Eve's go to the top of the class, or my bedroom which ever is closer

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Some of my day tomorrow will be spent on awareness, specifically the medical and social models of disability. The Paralympics (whatever you might think of it) has helped with this understanding.

I am blatantly stealing the Ch4 Is It Ok format.

The other part of my day will be to begin a piece of work to challenge the PMs statement that we do away with Equality Impact Assessments and Public Sector Equality Duties.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"31 years since the very first UN international day of disabled people and the mantra still remains the same, the dismantling of barriers and equal access to the everyday things in life that people take for granted, unless you just happen to be disabled. How will you be making an effort to dismantle those barriers tomorrow?

"

I won't.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"Some of my day tomorrow will be spent on awareness, specifically the medical and social models of disability. The Paralympics (whatever you might think of it) has helped with this understanding.

The other part of my day will be to begin a piece of work to challenge the PMs statement that we do away with Equality Impact Assessments and Public Sector Equality Duties."

Well if you get to meet Cameron knee him in the balls for me and tell him thanks

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Some of my day tomorrow will be spent on awareness, specifically the medical and social models of disability. The Paralympics (whatever you might think of it) has helped with this understanding.

The other part of my day will be to begin a piece of work to challenge the PMs statement that we do away with Equality Impact Assessments and Public Sector Equality Duties.

Well if you get to meet Cameron knee him in the balls for me and tell him thanks "

I haven't met him yet and it is proving harder to get a minister to meet unless there is a press opportunity attached, in my recent experience. If he is there at the next APPG meeting I attend I promise to try and knee him for you - turn his baubles blue for Christmas.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Tomorrow, as every working day, I shall be designing or refurbishing new and existing buildings in order to provide "access for all"....

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Well if you get to meet Cameron knee him in the balls for me and tell him thanks

I haven't met him yet and it is proving harder to get a minister to meet unless there is a press opportunity attached, in my recent experience. If he is there at the next APPG meeting I attend I promise to try and knee him for you - turn his baubles blue for Christmas."

Thank you and hope they go black for New Years

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

Therefore the purpose of international disability day in my mind is not to force able bodied people to identify and breakdown perceived barriers, but to raise awareness of disability and encourage inclusion and understanding. "

Just need to point out that disability isnt just a question of whether you are able bodied or not.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

C'mon then Cliff...what is it ?

over a year ago

evesham

Therefore the purpose of international disability day in my mind is not to force able bodied people to identify and breakdown perceived barriers, but to raise awareness of disability and encourage inclusion and understanding. Just need to point out that disability isnt just a question of whether you are able bodied or not."

Yep I am aware thanks....

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Tell me then.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Therefore the purpose of international disability day in my mind is not to force able bodied people to identify and breakdown perceived barriers, but to raise awareness of disability and encourage inclusion and understanding. Just need to point out that disability isnt just a question of whether you are able bodied or not."

would imagine with the posters obvious background and experience that they may well know that fact..

over a year ago

evesham

"Tell me then."

I presume he is talking about 'hidden' disabilities that you cannot see by looking at a person.

over a year ago

If I or we are in a situation where someone needs help and we can help out, we will.

We help no matter what day it is

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I can only think of .....

Dyslexia

Dyxpraxia

Depression

n other stuff like aspergers n autism .....

still physical tho .....

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

by hidden do you mean invisible ? rather than not physical ?

Like brain damage etc...or deafness ?

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

Therefore the purpose of international disability day in my mind is not to force able bodied people to identify and breakdown perceived barriers, but to raise awareness of disability and encourage inclusion and understanding. Just need to point out that disability isnt just a question of whether you are able bodied or not.

would imagine with the posters obvious background and experience that they may well know that fact.."

oh sarky ! And what i know nothing ? They said; "Therefore the purpose of international disability day in my mind is not to force able bodied people to identify and breakdown perceived barriers, but to raise awareness of disability and encourage inclusion and understanding." This reads that able bodied people are not disabled, an unintentional error i am sure. My bit for the day is raising awareness that disability isnt just about physical matters.

over a year ago

@op

I'm gonna send ATOS a Christmas card as I think it might be the only one they get

Wolf

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Therefore the purpose of international disability day in my mind is not to force able bodied people to identify and breakdown perceived barriers, but to raise awareness of disability and encourage inclusion and understanding. Just need to point out that disability isnt just a question of whether you are able bodied or not.

would imagine with the posters obvious background and experience that they may well know that fact.. oh sarky ! And what i know nothing ? They said; "Therefore the purpose of international disability day in my mind is not to force able bodied people to identify and breakdown perceived barriers, but to raise awareness of disability and encourage inclusion and understanding." This reads that able bodied people are not disabled, an unintentional error i am sure. My bit for the day is raising awareness that disability isnt just about physical matters. "

you need to relax a little, its Sunday and the weather is lovely..

was not being 'sarky' was pretty bloody obvious that the poster has obvious experience and knowledge having worked in a support role..

so clearly obvious that anyone would recognise that fact..

unless they were being picky that is..

over a year ago

evesham

"I can only think of .....

Dyslexia

Dyxpraxia

Depression

n other stuff like aspergers n autism .....

still physical tho ..... "

Anything that affects someone's life on a day to day basis for a prolonged period of time is considered a disability, including things like diabetes, ibs, asthma, mental illness etc

It could be argued that the term 'able bodied' is an all encompassing term to mean any disability as although those listed above can show no outward signs of disability, they still affect the body in some way.

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

If you dont know what is defined as disability in the uk and you want to know i suggest you look here.

https://www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Well I am able bodied as you put it. Can lift twice my body weight on a good day, often walk ten miles in a day, but am registered disabled as blind. I go to great lengths to lead a normal life but barriers are there, you try and get a taxi when it's raining. The OP just posted thread as licky often does with days that are trying to change or show people things they might need to know.

over a year ago

"Tomorrow, as every working day, I shall be designing or refurbishing new and existing buildings in order to provide "access for all".... "
will that be to the minimum standard of Part M of the building regulations or are you allowed and actively practise access for all that goes further? Interested to know, as disabled people who access for all impinges on, often struggle with the minimum Part M standard.

over a year ago

Yep I am aware thanks...."

but attitudinal barriers; such as defining people as able bodied creates a barrier in itself. We are all equal regardless of protected characteristics or not, so drawing a distinction between society that can do and society that can't is a barrier, and one that needs to be dismantled. I am surprised that anyone who would work on an equality helpline would have such a _iew of differance.

over a year ago

evesham

I don't have a _iew of difference thank you very much. Just because I'm mot fighting the good fight tomorrow doesn't mean I don't do my bit. I just do it in my own way at my own time.

I don't need special days to make me feel like I am doing my bit but if you makes you feel more important go ahead.

I can't stand people telling me what I should do and when and if I don't then I am uncaring

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"I don't have a _iew of difference thank you very much. Just because I'm mot fighting the good fight tomorrow doesn't mean I don't do my bit. I just do it in my own way at my own time.

I don't need special days to make me feel like I am doing my bit but if you makes you feel more important go ahead.

I can't stand people telling me what I should do and when and if I don't then I am uncaring"

And as such never ask for a blow job but still waiting for one to be offered

over a year ago

"I don't have a _iew of difference thank you very much. Just because I'm mot fighting the good fight tomorrow doesn't mean I don't do my bit. I just do it in my own way at my own time.

I can't stand people telling me what I should do and when and if I don't then I am uncaring"

Ummm? excuse me? I don't recollect anyone telling anyone to do anything, I was merely pointing out that tomorrow is an internationally recognised day for disabled people. It won't mean diddly squit whether you personally care to mark that day or not, one single day in making people aware of the immense hurdles and barriers that still have to be overcome across employment, education, IT communication, biggoted _iews, systemic discrimination, disability hate crime isn't what is important, it is that day in, day out, there are people challenging and trying to make a differance. I don't need an internationally recognised day to motivate me to do that, just the glow and PR from the paralympics will not last forever and to have an opportunity to keep the topic firmly focussed in peoples minds is extremely important to those of us that can see how ever present the barriers are and how they are being constructed and becoming immovable once more.

over a year ago

"Tomorrow, as every working day, I shall be designing or refurbishing new and existing buildings in order to provide "access for all".... will that be to the minimum standard of Part M of the building regulations or are you allowed and actively practise access for all that goes further? Interested to know, as disabled people who access for all impinges on, often struggle with the minimum Part M standard."

AD M is the minimum standard, but having had a small part in writing it, I prefer BS 8300 along with operation Rainbow for the partially visually impaired...

over a year ago

"31 years since the very first UN international day of disabled people and the mantra still remains the same, the dismantling of barriers and equal access to the everyday things in life that people take for granted, unless you just happen to be disabled. How will you be making an effort to dismantle those barriers tomorrow?

"

I will celebrate the many barriers that have been removed....the numerous pieces of legislation that have been introduced....and as such gives the guys within my day centre such wonderful opportunities that they would perhaps not have had 31 years ago

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Legislation isn't enough.

It takes a change in attitude and that's yet to arrive.

over a year ago

"Legislation isn't enough.

It takes a change in attitude and that's yet to arrive."

utter bollocks!! are you really trying to tell me that there has been NO change in attitude???

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

utter bollocks!! are you really trying to tell me that there has been NO change in attitude??? "

No, there's been a bit of a change in attitude(s) but nothing like what was intended via the DDA and subsequent legislation.

You need only look at the proposals for disabled access to the Glasgow Subway to see it's little more than lipservice.

over a year ago

massive changes in attitude in the 31 years that the OP was speaking of since the 1st UN international awareness day.

The increase in access to services is huge....yes maybe not to all....but within the bigger picture we have made great progress....and the legislation makes it easier. Far from perfect....but then again it never is

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

when you use a wheelchair, its amazing how many places dont have access. Its a joke in this day and age and some people are so rude in public places, tutting and barging past. I cant wheel myself due to my arthritis, so rely on my 13 year old son and he struggles to get me into shops.

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

PS, look at my pics and you see a normal woman....

I have what you call invisible illnesses and unluckily for me I am registered disabled, I have had to use a walking stick for the past 7 years and often need to use my wheelchair.

Dont judge a book by its cover....

And yes I often get told I shouldn't be on a swingers site, but shouldn't I be allowed some fun too?

Are disabled people so disgusting that we cant have sex????

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"massive changes in attitude in the 31 years that the OP was speaking of since the 1st UN international awareness day.

The increase in access to services is huge....yes maybe not to all....but within the bigger picture we have made great progress....and the legislation makes it easier. Far from perfect....but then again it never is"

Far from perfect ..... but then it should be.

Whose job is it to say 'disabled people don't need .........'?

Whose decision is it that facilities for disabled folk are unafordable?

Who decides that the adaptations needed in any given building would spoil the appearance?

over a year ago

utter bollocks!! are you really trying to tell me that there has been NO change in attitude??? "

The change is there, unfortunately on the whole that change has been a backwards trend from the positiveness that was being seen, since early DDA, in the mid nineties. Yes business's and society profess to be more confident around disability, and noteable improvements have been made in inclusive environments, but the sinister truth still is that as a disabled person you are still more likely to be out of work, have a poor education, be the victim of discrimination, disability hatred, and the list goes on, inaccessible public transport, inaccessible technology, experience policies and regulations that discriminate, be treated by fellow people as a child or innvisible; someone that either won't be able to hear or comprehend what is being said and talked past.

Early DDA the disabled movement and community felt that at last we would see some long awaited equality, what has happened is that we have seen token equality and access delivered on the terms of decision makers and the legislate that have refined the discrimination legislation to such a degree as to purposely hamper and make claims for disability discrimination far more difficult than was ever envisaged with the writing of the initial bill.

over a year ago

What about a person with Coeliac Disease who cannot tolerate anything with any form of gluten in it and legally it is permitted. This person is discriminated against as the Law dictates that it will not harm them. There is no legal comeback as it is law and sadly has stopped a coeliac from working for the last 7 years. This Coeliac has no support from anyone in this country and has to go it alone, it is clear that disability is what can be seen not what the disability causes to the person.

over a year ago

"

I will not park in a disabled space at the supermarket to save me walking across the carpark in the rain

over a year ago

"What about a person with Coeliac Disease who cannot tolerate anything with any form of gluten in it and legally it is permitted. This person is discriminated against as the Law dictates that it will not harm them. There is no legal comeback as it is law and sadly has stopped a coeliac from working for the last 7 years. This Coeliac has no support from anyone in this country and has to go it alone, it is clear that disability is what can be seen not what the disability causes to the person."
it is your health condition or impairment that may or may not define you as being disabled from both a medical and legal _iew point. The truth however is that we are what we are, we are people, no less able than the next, it is society that disables us, we live in a disabling society in your case may I suggest that you experience direct systemic discrimination. Regardless of an 'in your face' or invisible impairment, the barriers are stacked up in front of people with health conditions that impair them, those barriers are the disabling factor that have to be dismantled. Dare I go so far to include the "Oh aren't they wonderful these plucky, brave, courageous paralympians" kind of language that was commonly heard throughout September?

over a year ago

"Tomorrow, as every working day, I shall be designing or refurbishing new and existing buildings in order to provide "access for all".... will that be to the minimum standard of Part M of the building regulations or are you allowed and actively practise access for all that goes further? Interested to know, as disabled people who access for all impinges on, often struggle with the minimum Part M standard.

AD M is the minimum standard, but having had a small part in writing it, I prefer BS 8300 along with operation Rainbow for the partially visually impaired... "

Thanks, that is very interesting, I must spend some time and take a good look at BS 8300. I've taken a look at Project Rainbow conducted by Reading University, and I'm curious to know outcomes, unfortunately actual outcomes seem to be something that the study is short of. The study also talks of 'real world tests' but once again no detail is available on the detail of what those 'real world tests' involved.

On a negative note, it is a great shame that the university didn't get its use of terminology correct....the visually impaired is a particularly offensive phrase

over a year ago

Quote"it is your health condition or impairment that may or may not define you as being disabled from both a medical and legal _iew point." Until Medical and the legal profession understand that the science or opinions are not always right and we do not live in a textbook society as the are trying to make out we do. Each person should be assessed on individual abilities not what is expected from any impairment. We are not all the same.

over a year ago

"Quote"it is your health condition or impairment that may or may not define you as being disabled from both a medical and legal _iew point." Until Medical and the legal profession understand that the science or opinions are not always right and we do not live in a textbook society as the are trying to make out we do. Each person should be assessed on individual abilities not what is expected from any impairment. We are not all the same."
Hmmmm, trying to understand how a means of measuring individual capability assessments could be devised here. We have already seen that the DWP / ATOS ESA Work Capability Assessment measuring process is flawed, and with the introduction of PIP assessments next year they have had to re-think testing requirements, but what would you suggest for a more individual based capabilities assessment?

over a year ago

" The study also talks of 'real world tests' but once again no detail is available on the detail of what those 'real world tests' involved.

On a negative note, it is a great shame that the university didn't get its use of terminology correct....the visually impaired is a particularly offensive phrase "

Operation Rainbow is in general practice every day in building design..... It is less about painting yellow stripes on the leading edge of a blue door ( say) as contrasting surfaces by a defined reflectance.

One of the biggest problems encountered when dealing with any part of this subject is the minefield of terminology which is deemed

to be offensive....

Toilets in particular have changed from Handicapped, to Disabled to Accessible...

Please could you tell me what terminology a person with a vision which is impaired would prefer.... And I will consider spreading it around the industry....

More than 50% of my design parameters are based in BS 8300... That is a Massive change in attitude, not all of which is driven by legislation...

The driving force behind all of this legislation is NOT finance... It is "That which is Reasonably practical" especially when referring to existing buildings....

For example.... It would not be reasonably practical for Chameleons to refurbish up to AD M standards, given the scope of the existing construction....

We do the best possible and are modifying our designs daily....

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"Tomorrow, as every working day, I shall be designing or refurbishing new and existing buildings in order to provide "access for all".... will that be to the minimum standard of Part M of the building regulations or are you allowed and actively practise access for all that goes further? Interested to know, as disabled people who access for all impinges on, often struggle with the minimum Part M standard.

AD M is the minimum standard, but having had a small part in writing it, I prefer BS 8300 along with operation Rainbow for the partially visually impaired... Thanks, that is very interesting, I must spend some time and take a good look at BS 8300. I've taken a look at Project Rainbow conducted by Reading University, and I'm curious to know outcomes, unfortunately actual outcomes seem to be something that the study is short of. The study also talks of 'real world tests' but once again no detail is available on the detail of what those 'real world tests' involved.

On a negative note, it is a great shame that the university didn't get its use of terminology correct....the visually impaired is a particularly offensive phrase "

I have to admit being called visually impaired does not offend me

over a year ago

" The study also talks of 'real world tests' but once again no detail is available on the detail of what those 'real world tests' involved.

On a negative note, it is a great shame that the university didn't get its use of terminology correct....the visually impaired is a particularly offensive phrase

Operation Rainbow is in general practice every day in building design..... It is less about painting yellow stripes on the leading edge of a blue door ( say) as contrasting surfaces by a defined reflectance.

One of the biggest problems encountered when dealing with any part of this subject is the minefield of terminology which is deemed

to be offensive....

Toilets in particular have changed from Handicapped, to Disabled to Accessible...

Please could you tell me what terminology a person with a vision which is impaired would prefer.... And I will consider spreading it around the industry....

More than 50% of my design parameters are based in BS 8300... That is a Massive change in attitude, not all of which is driven by legislation...

The driving force behind all of this legislation is NOT finance... It is "That which is Reasonably practical" especially when referring to existing buildings....

For example.... It would not be reasonably practical for Chameleons to refurbish up to AD M standards, given the scope of the existing construction....

We do the best possible and are modifying our designs daily...."

The best rule of thumb with terminology is to look and see if it makes sense first of all. For example handicapped or disabled toilet? What is disabled about the toilet? what handicap does the toilet have? Whereas accessible toilet should be common sense, the design and build of that toilet should be accessible for all.

Visually impaired people, or a visually impaired person is the terminology that the visually impaired community accept in the whole as being as close to the least offensive. Wheelchair users rather than weelchair bound people, DEAF person rather than the deaf. Note DEAF should always be in capitals signifying the recognition that it is a unique culture.

I'm happy to help with more specific terminology questions if you ever find you are stuck.

I commend anyone or any organisation that sees the benefits of practising a best practise approach over and beyond minimum standards.

All I would add is that where there are constraints on refurbishment of an existing structure, by incorporating a positive and confident attitudinal shift towards the disabled persons interaction and use of that building, far more access and positive customer service experience for the disabled user can be achieved, where structural change may not be possible.

over a year ago

"

I have to admit being called visually impaired does not offend me "

And yet Tachi is not alone.... It's like all terminology.... BBW for example... It's a minefield.....

over a year ago

"I have to admit being called visually impaired does not offend me" No, it doesn't because that is correct, what is offensive however is the term the visually impaired, similarly to the blacks, it is wrong, and shouldn't be used. It is most definitely a visually impaired person such as it is a black person or a DEAF person.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

""I have to admit being called visually impaired does not offend me" No, it doesn't because that is correct, what is offensive however is the term the visually impaired, similarly to the blacks, it is wrong, and shouldn't be used. It is most definitely a visually impaired person such as it is a black person or a DEAF person.

"

So I am blind, there's a lot worst things I could be. Human nature to label everything being visually impaired is just another label, neither good nor bad. There's a lot worst things happening to disabled people such as 180000 blind people never leaving their homes, welfare reform, ATOS etc. Prefer to spend my energy fighting the battles that can be won not arguing over a label that if was changed would cost the country millions with committees to decide what might or might not hurt someone's feelings. Hope you all have a great disability awareness day.

over a year ago

""I have to admit being called visually impaired does not offend me" No, it doesn't because that is correct, what is offensive however is the term the visually impaired, similarly to the blacks, it is wrong, and shouldn't be used. It is most definitely a visually impaired person such as it is a black person or a DEAF person.

So I am blind, there's a lot worst things I could be. Human nature to label everything being visually impaired is just another label, neither good nor bad. There's a lot worst things happening to disabled people such as 180000 blind people never leaving their homes, welfare reform, ATOS etc. Prefer to spend my energy fighting the battles that can be won not arguing over a label that if was changed would cost the country millions with committees to decide what might or might not hurt someone's feelings. Hope you all have a great disability awareness day. "

Hey! Nutspark, I know we will, by raising the awareness around the social model of disability and not forgetting that terminology underpins the correct and proper interpretation of the social model of disability change will happen. Relying on and believing in the propaganda promoted by the charitable institutions that have a vested interest in scaremongering and frightening society with shock tactics such as 180000 visually impaired people never leave their homes, or every day 100 people will go blind isn't helpful though, neither is it particularly honest.

What is more sincere is why do so many disabled people find themselves isolated and frightened to leave their homes, and that brings us full circle to the barriers that disabled people face, disabled people are more likely to be unemployed, have a lesser standard of education, find themselves victims of hate crime, and so on and so forth!

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Fab has once again educated and enlightened me.

And awed me that a swinging site can have such far ranging and informative and balanced conversations as this amongst the smut we came here for in the first place!

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

So I am blind, there's a lot worst things I could be. Human nature to label everything being visually impaired is just another label, neither good nor bad. There's a lot worst things happening to disabled people such as 180000 blind people never leaving their homes, welfare reform, ATOS etc. Prefer to spend my energy fighting the battles that can be won not arguing over a label that if was changed would cost the country millions with committees to decide what might or might not hurt someone's feelings. Hope you all have a great disability awareness day. Hey! Nutspark, I know we will, by raising the awareness around the social model of disability and not forgetting that terminology underpins the correct and proper interpretation of the social model of disability change will happen. Relying on and believing in the propaganda promoted by the charitable institutions that have a vested interest in scaremongering and frightening society with shock tactics such as 180000 visually impaired people never leave their homes, or every day 100 people will go blind isn't helpful though, neither is it particularly honest.

What is more sincere is why do so many disabled people find themselves isolated and frightened to leave their homes, and that brings us full circle to the barriers that disabled people face, disabled people are more likely to be unemployed, have a lesser standard of education, find themselves victims of hate crime, and so on and so forth!

"

I live with sight loss after a accident, I waited six months for long white cane training, as such was house bound unless someone was willing to take me out, based on department of health saying that at least two million people have to live with sight loss. 180000 people house bound seems on the low side.

As for lower education I have to agree as funding is not there. JAWS software for PC £1200. Guide dog if you had to pay for one £50000 for its life. The list is endless.

All anyone can ask is if you can help a disabled person in whatever way you can, please do it makes you feel good and dare I say it makes us all a bit more human.

Where's licky she usually likes these threads.

over a year ago

"""All anyone can ask is if you can help a disabled person in whatever way you can, please do it makes you feel good and dare I say it makes us all a bit more human." Hmmmmm? smacks of cap in hand sentiment ! What some of us want, and fortunately that is the message from the disabled peoples movement is empowerment, liberty, and independence through the dismantling of barriers, we do not wish to be made to feel grateful!

"

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"""All anyone can ask is if you can help a disabled person in whatever way you can, please do it makes you feel good and dare I say it makes us all a bit more human." Hmmmmm? smacks of cap in hand sentiment ! What some of us want, and fortunately that is the message from the disabled peoples movement is empowerment, liberty, and independence through the dismantling of barriers, we do not wish to be made to feel grateful!

"

Sentiment is a wonderful thing, but does not help blind people find place, wheelchair user get up steps. DDA act states reasonable adjustments, what one person considers ok, another thinks it does not go far enough. The main problem is things are usually done by able body people with no real idea of impact.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Lickety reporting in. I do apologise for not arriving to the debate sooner, I have been being silly on other threads whilst writing a paper on the EIA question.

TT, you know how hard it is to get the messages out. If you feel that charities are scaremongering with statistics I would question why they feel the need to go down that route. As with everything now you need a large number that people stop and think about and you need one or two heart-warming personal stories with which people can identify.

Being glib, if I could get a whole load of helper monkey training up and running I would be more likely to get a television slot or corporate sponsor and people would learn about the disabilities whilst cooing over the monkey pictures.

The social model of disability is what we are aiming for. That does mean being careful about language but let us not get lost in language at the expense of changing some very practical things.

Right now, I see the battle as trying to show people that the additional expense and barriers that disabled people face does not make them scroungers. Showing people that reasonable adjustments benefit everyone (parents with buggies, for instance). Showing people that inclusion enriches us all.

At the same time some of us have to fight the political and legal battles as day to day life is too hard for others to do this.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"Lickety reporting in. I do apologise for not arriving to the debate sooner, I have been being silly on other threads whilst writing a paper on the EIA question.

TT, you know how hard it is to get the messages out. If you feel that charities are scaremongering with statistics I would question why they feel the need to go down that route. As with everything now you need a large number that people stop and think about and you need one or two heart-warming personal stories with which people can identify.

Being glib, if I could get a whole load of helper monkey training up and running I would be more likely to get a television slot or corporate sponsor and people would learn about the disabilities whilst cooing over the monkey pictures.

The social model of disability is what we are aiming for. That does mean being careful about language but let us not get lost in language at the expense of changing some very practical things.

Right now, I see the battle as trying to show people that the additional expense and barriers that disabled people face does not make them scroungers. Showing people that reasonable adjustments benefit everyone (parents with buggies, for instance). Showing people that inclusion enriches us all.

At the same time some of us have to fight the political and legal battles as day to day life is too hard for others to do this.

"

As always so well put

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Lickety reporting in. I do apologise for not arriving to the debate sooner, I have been being silly on other threads whilst writing a paper on the EIA question.

"

Very well put

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

The single thing I want people to understand today is that we are all of us just moments away from experiencing a disability. Whether that is mobility, sight, hearing or mental. Many of the same problems we will encounter in old age.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"The single thing I want people to understand today is that we are all of us just moments away from experiencing a disability. Whether that is mobility, sight, hearing or mental. Many of the same problems we will encounter in old age."
Absolutely!

And it is not just that... everybody is moments away from any disaster, being unemployed, falling ill, loosing something precious or somebody dear...

It is good to be mindful of that sometime.

over a year ago

"The single thing I want people to understand today is that we are all of us just moments away from experiencing a disability. Whether that is mobility, sight, hearing or mental. Many of the same problems we will encounter in old age."
Age related health conditions may indeed manifest them in a manner that will impaire, I think however the single thing regardless will be that the barriers that are faced by so many now and taken for granted by even more will still be present, and will need a willingness by society to wake up and realise that they need to be dismantled and a mind setof change brought about if we are going to achieve equality.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

But everyone needs to live today, be mindful of the moment. Accidents happen, life carries on. Usually one more person to battle for equal rights. You learn after a time with disability not to focus on what you are unable to do but excell at what you can. Para-Olympics is a showcase for this.

I used to have a T-shirt with "I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens"

over a year ago

"

Sorry just got out of work....

I totally understand the THE visually ( etc) impaired.... An impersonal pronoun can be offensive....

Then again I am a Brummie and, if I am the only one around, the Brummie.... It is a classification of distinction, not an insult.... IMHO....

over a year ago

I, as every day, will be advocating for and encouraging the disabled amongst us to aspire and achieve things that others feel aren't achievable for them .......

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Sorry just got out of work....

I totally understand the THE visually ( etc) impaired.... An impersonal pronoun can be offensive....

Then again I am a Brummie and, if I am the only one around, the Brummie.... It is a classification of distinction, not an insult.... IMHO.... "

So because I'm from Dudley the term" blue nose " might offend

Post new Message to Thread