Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Gas & Leccy

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have gas central heating, and leccy. I have low wattage long life bulbs.

I’ve just changed my hot water settings for it to come on once a day in the morning for 90 mins, which should give me enough hot water to last all day, I generally shower in the morning so that should be ok. My washing machine heats its own water (think that’s pretty standard these days). I have plenty blankets in case I feel the chill in the evenings. I’m still putting my washing on the line to dry apart from smells except for smalls which go in the condenser as it doesn’t use much leccy

Any other ideas?

In case you didn’t know leccy is - Electricity - someone is bound to ask

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lean_CutMan
over a year ago

Rasen area

Wear a jumper. And another one.. and maybe a coat..

over a year ago

"Wear a jumper. And another one.. and maybe a coat.."

Not even started wearing a coat outdoors yet, so not wearing one indoors, but I did say I have blankets, also have a fabby warm oversized hoodie, can actually get TOO hot in that

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Does your water need 90mins? Could you get away with an hour?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Also dry your smalls on the line too.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Socks. Wear decent socks. And slippers. And always have your dressing down to hand. And have more sex, it keeps your warm.

over a year ago

"Wear a jumper. And another one.. and maybe a coat.."
while doing star jumps every 40 minutes

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Turn EVERYTHING off at the mains. Leave nothing on stand by including computers, tv's , central heating, smart metres , microwave and anything with a clock on even if it's a gas cooker.

Empty your fridge/freezer n turn it off. Keep fresh food in boxes outside in the shade.

Do not buy frozen food until the frozen month of January or better still walk to the shop for frozen stuff every day - they have freezers.

Never put the central heating on or even a fire just wear a duvet suit.

Find the sun direction that comes into your home at different points of the day and put your maiden in there ( different places at different times of the day )

Get yourself a hand washing washing machine. I have a hand crank and a foot operated one. I also have a very small electric machine for tiny loads.

If the sun beams through your kitchen in the morning sit in there. Move around your house as the sun moves. It warms the blood.

Go to the shops and walk around each one of them for half an hour every day. Visit the library before and after shopping. By t he way it's window shopping. Use the toilet in Wetherspoons. Ride the train to town and back every day too.

Wear fleecy lined leg warmers and fingerless gloves.

Buy food that doesn't need much cooking e.g micro meals ........ OR better still burn the garden fences in your neighbourhood slowly over winter.

My car is always hotter than this house so go outside even on a cold day and sit in your car while the sun beams through the screen and read a book.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Granny's thought this one through ^

over a year ago

"Also dry your smalls on the line too."

The crows nick em seen it happen, they also like baby socks

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

"Does your water need 90mins? Could you get away with an hour?"

Or even 30 minutes.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Also dry your smalls on the line too.

The crows nick em seen it happen, they also like baby socks "

Do they, the little blighters! I wonder what they do with them, if there are nests lined with knickers and socks

How about using a clothes airer for them indoors.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Cook using a microwave. Try and get one with a convection fan function. Get a microwave steamer for veg and rice.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

People get to a point where there's only so much that can be turned off or cut down on.

over a year ago

Do they, the little blighters! I wonder what they do with them, if there are nests lined with knickers and socks

How about using a clothes airer for them indoors. "

Yeah I could do, I have airers that sit over the now non working radiators lol

over a year ago

"Cook using a microwave. Try and get one with a convection fan function. Get a microwave steamer for veg and rice."

I’ve got a microwave, it works, I’m not going to go spend what little money I have on another one - but thanks for the suggestion

At the moment I’m on a soup diet as a result of having 5 teeth removed two days ago, round two is happening in October so that will also be soup/soft food diet

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"I have gas central heating, and leccy. I have low wattage long life bulbs.

I’ve just changed my hot water settings for it to come on once a day in the morning for 90 mins, which should give me enough hot water to last all day, I generally shower in the morning so that should be ok. My washing machine heats its own water (think that’s pretty standard these days). I have plenty blankets in case I feel the chill in the evenings. I’m still putting my washing on the line to dry apart from smells except for smalls which go in the condenser as it doesn’t use much leccy

Any other ideas?

In case you didn’t know leccy is - Electricity - someone is bound to ask "

45-60 mins is enough to heat that hot water tank for all day usage.

If your running it on dual in the morning for heating and hot water dont.

This will then give you x2 20mins of central heating at other times.

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

Get a slow cooker. Great for cooking and reheating soups and stews.

By *dventurousbutterfly89Woman
over a year ago

newport

"Does your water need 90mins? Could you get away with an hour?"

That’s a very good point, me and my partner put the water on for 35-45 minute and that’s enough to have a shower each or if we want a bath each we put it on for 50-60 minutes

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

How about using a clothes airer for them indoors.

Yeah I could do, I have airers that sit over the now non working radiators lol "

Keep the windows shut to keep the crows out

Foxes pinch my gardening gloves on the regular and take my empty flower pots away

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

Follow government advice by turning off the heating in the guest wings and servant's quarters Oh, and buy a new kettle

LvM

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Granny's thought this one through ^ "

Oh d'ya think ? I'm presently painting empty drinks cans , fixing them up to a frame and harnessing the power of the sun ........

I've bought £2,000 work of bubble wrap. It's going twice around the house and I am going to wrap naked ole me in it to save on the washing .......

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Follow government advice by turning off the heating in the guest wings and servant's quarters Oh, and buy a new kettle

LvM"

Oh absolutely a new kettle ! One's new one boils at such an amazing speed that it fair leaves one's old one looking as sad and forlorn as Prince Endrew with a besket of puppies and no one to show them to.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Any other ideas?

Whoever doesn't know what Leccy means is clearly too posh

By *lym4realCouple
over a year ago

plymouth

Amazing to think we've been "Gas lighted" to think that this perfectly ok ?? in the year 2022 in the worlds 6th richest country with more billionaires than ever ?? and this is the new "Normal" where they say your bills will go up by xyz then proudly proclaim they will only be "Double" what they wre last year ??...but having a slow cooker or air fryer or clothes horse saves the pennies

over a year ago

"Get a slow cooker. Great for cooking and reheating soups and stews."

I agree with cooking in a slow cooker however it would work out cheaper actually to reheat in the microwave.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Sometimes the poor are praised for being thrifty. But to recommend thrift to the poor is both grotesque and insulting. It is like advising a man who is starving to eat less. For a town or country labourer to practise thrift would be absolutely immoral. Man should not be ready to show that he can live like a badly-fed animal. He should decline to live like that, and should either steal or go on the rates, which is considered by many to be a form of stealing.

Oscar Wilde

over a year ago

Turn off radiators in rooms you don’t use, if using the oven leave the door open after cooking

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Psychology .......

Keep saying ........ Nah it's not cold. I remember when ......... ooooooo I love blue skin ......... If my pee isn't in tinkly cubes I'm too hot...... think I'll have a skinny dip ...... ice lolly any one ?

over a year ago

"Follow government advice by turning off the heating in the guest wings and servant's quarters Oh, and buy a new kettle

LvM"

Be hard pressed to get servants quarters in this cooncil hoose lol for all the times I use a kettle I was swithering over buying a breville one cup kettle, there’s only me and two cats here

As for hot water, yeah I may decrease the time for heating it

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I have a one cup downstairs and a one cup upstairs. I've had my breville for years.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

It may be standard for the washing machine to heat up the water so it's a the temperature but ever wonder why their is also a connection for hot water I understand not every washing machine has this but would save on electricity even with pipe connected to hot pipe

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Turn off radiators in rooms you don’t use, if using the oven leave the door open after cooking "

I'd be careful if it's really cold maybe leave them on frost setting if you have thermostatic valves.

Last thing you want in the middle of winter is a burst heating pipe.

Consider turning water temperature down a degree or two.

We have a low voltage induction hob we use for camping going to be using that soon see if it makes a difference.

Up carrot intake to help see in the dark better.

I can see a massive surge in house fire from candles and increase in carbon monoxide issues people using portable gas fires.

Not one for conspiracy theories but with the cxnts we have in charge wouldn't surprise me if it's a ploy to kill off more of the elderly population,I mean they already wiped out a few hundred thousand during covid.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Turn off radiators in rooms you don’t use, if using the oven leave the door open after cooking "

Actually dont turn off rads in rooms that are not used as all your causing is cold spots within a house that remains cold.

Instead of just 4 outside walls you actually gain more just by turning rooms off and enaberling them to go cold.

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

Plug in motion sensor night lights in case you need to go for a pee in the middle of the night. Only 1 watt each and turn off after 30 seconds of inactivity.

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Any other ideas?

Fanny by Gaslight.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"I've bought £2,000 work of bubble wrap. It's going twice around the house and I am going to wrap naked ole me in it to save on the washing .......

"

granny stated that she'd rather be wrapped up in naked men around her.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Work away most of the week- you use the hotels utilities and generally also get an allowance to cover food too

over a year ago

Read books or play boardgames instead of watch tv. (For extra points, see if you can get the books for free from friends, book swaps or the library)

If you don't have nice thick curtains, get some. You're going to need them when it gets cold.

Put a sleeping bag or blanket on the sofa for curling up in in the evenings.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Arrange a fab meet every day.

Plan to arrive early morning, then leave your house and walk 20 yards down the road before telling them youve broken down so could they pick you up. Tell them you didn't have time for a shower before leaving and use theirs upon arrival at their house. Then fuck for a few hours to keep warm.

Tell them all that exercise has made you hungry and ask them to make you lunch. Insist on getting dressed to eat and then 'accidentally spill mayo/ketchup/salad cream down your clothes. Ask if they'd mind washing and drying them for you whilst you let them smash your back doors in for another couple of hours.

After round two, say you need another shower as you're a tad sweaty. Make sure you wash your hair too. Ask to borrow a hairdryer to dry your hair, pop your freshly washed and dried clothes back on and ask them to drive you home.

Hey presto.

Free washing, lunch, clean clothes and warmth and all you have to do is bump uglies with some random.

Repeat until the weather warms up and you can enjoy sitting around your own house naked and having cold showers. You'll still need to eat though so best get practicing those blowies to sort out free food from takeaway delivery drivers.

Winner!!!

A

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"I have a one cup downstairs and a one cup upstairs. I've had my breville for years.

"

You heat your water in a sandwich toaster ?

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"I have a one cup downstairs and a one cup upstairs. I've had my breville for years.

"

You heat your water in a sandwich toaster ?

over a year ago

Hope the insulation is good - otherwise invest in draft excluders to keep more heat in

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

Do cold water washes in your machine, most soap work with cold water these days. I gave some new fangled dryer that uses less power than a normal condenser

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The bottom line is that there comes a point where you can't make any significant savings and you have to accept that you either use power or you don't.

over a year ago

" Amazing to think we've been "Gas lighted" to think that this perfectly ok ?? in the year 2022 in the worlds 6th richest country with more billionaires than ever ?? and this is the new "Normal" where they say your bills will go up by xyz then proudly proclaim they will only be "Double" what they wre last year ??...but having a slow cooker or air fryer or clothes horse saves the pennies "

over a year ago

"Sometimes the poor are praised for being thrifty. But to recommend thrift to the poor is both grotesque and insulting. It is like advising a man who is starving to eat less. For a town or country labourer to practise thrift would be absolutely immoral. Man should not be ready to show that he can live like a badly-fed animal. He should decline to live like that, and should either steal or go on the rates, which is considered by many to be a form of stealing.

Oscar Wilde

"

over a year ago

"Hope the insulation is good - otherwise invest in draft excluders to keep more heat in"

This is a good idea

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

Don't start boiling your Christmas sprouts until 1st December. That'll save a couple of month's worth of gas/electricity!

over a year ago

"Don't start boiling your Christmas sprouts until 1st December. That'll save a couple of month's worth of gas/electricity!"

I don’t eat sprouts - nasty horrible things

By *ood time Chris BMan
over a year ago

TAUNTON AREA

"The bottom line is that there comes a point where you can't make any significant savings and you have to accept that you either use power or you don't."

I couldn't agree more,I've done everything I can to save energy use,and have no other options left

over a year ago

Buy a thermos flask. Boil water once a day for tea

By *aggy dollsCouple
over a year ago

Bradford

A full fridge/freezer uses less power to cool so stuff them full with say carrier bags to reduce power consumption, get a calor gas heater and only heat the room you're using, have blinds and insulated curtains and also use those old skool sausage draft excluders.

Mr Hayes.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"get a calor gas heater and only heat the room you're using"

I wouldn't bother with Calor. They are the most unreliable bottled gas suppliers out there.

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

Get a steamer for cooking veg. Get the water up to boiling point and boil for a few minutes then turn it off and the heat will finish the cooking.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Sometimes the poor are praised for being thrifty. But to recommend thrift to the poor is both grotesque and insulting. It is like advising a man who is starving to eat less. For a town or country labourer to practise thrift would be absolutely immoral. Man should not be ready to show that he can live like a badly-fed animal. He should decline to live like that, and should either steal or go on the rates, which is considered by many to be a form of stealing.

Oscar Wilde

"

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Misshapen fruit and veg are good value.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Do cold water washes in your machine, most soap work with cold water these days. I gave some new fangled dryer that uses less power than a normal condenser "

Clothes airer (clothes horse) is even cheaper. Sheets and towels go on a door hook to dry

over a year ago

"A full fridge/freezer uses less power to cool so stuff them full with say carrier bags to reduce power consumption, get a calor gas heater and only heat the room you're using, have blinds and insulated curtains and also use those old skool sausage draft excluders.

Mr Hayes."

I have double glazing which council put in not that long ago, so that’s no issue,

Calor gas - I’d end up blowing it up and probably taking the neighbours with me.

Can’t afford to buy draught excluders but rolled up towels do the same job

Sheets and smalls & duvet covers maybe tee shirts go in the condenser dryer as it takes less time and doesn’t add to the damp in the house.

over a year ago

"Do cold water washes in your machine, most soap work with cold water these days. I gave some new fangled dryer that uses less power than a normal condenser

Clothes airer (clothes horse) is even cheaper. Sheets and towels go on a door hook to dry"

If there’s no heat in the house, how will washing dry?

By *emmabTV/TS
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"Plug in motion sensor night lights in case you need to go for a pee in the middle of the night. Only 1 watt each and turn off after 30 seconds of inactivity."

Sit down pee in the dark is even cheaper.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Do cold water washes in your machine, most soap work with cold water these days. I gave some new fangled dryer that uses less power than a normal condenser

Clothes airer (clothes horse) is even cheaper. Sheets and towels go on a door hook to dry

If there’s no heat in the house, how will washing dry?"

I'm in a newish build flat - even with no heating on in the dead of winter, the water still evaporates.

I bought my airer for £6 in 2009 and rarely use my dryer.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Drying washing inside in the winter in an unheated house can lead to condensation, damp and mould unless you have a very good airflow. Given that it's likely you'll be preventing as many draughts as possible I really don't think it's a great idea.

We tend to line dry as far as possible then use the tumble dryer for the minimum possible time.

By *haron StonerTV/TS
over a year ago

Haywards Heath

[Removed by poster at 17/09/22 15:16:25]

By *haron StonerTV/TS
over a year ago

Haywards Heath

Any other ideas?

"

I've changed over to led's, at work, it equates to £700 in savings, at home much less as not to many bulbs to switch over. The savings is there, even if you have old fluorescent fittings, you can get led tubes that pop right in nowadays so you don't need to rewire the fitting but even that's pretty simple. X

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

They used to say keep your heating on in winter at a constant temperature all the time as more efficient rather than just have it on a few hours here and there. I wonder whether that was ever true

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

I charge my phone at work

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Drying washing inside in the winter in an unheated house can lead to condensation, damp and mould unless you have a very good airflow. Given that it's likely you'll be preventing as many draughts as possible I really don't think it's a great idea.

We tend to line dry as far as possible then use the tumble dryer for the minimum possible time. "

I may just be fortunate. But I've managed to use my dryer as little as possible (close to zero, I fluff my towels) and have had no damp problems.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Drying washing inside in the winter in an unheated house can lead to condensation, damp and mould unless you have a very good airflow. Given that it's likely you'll be preventing as many draughts as possible I really don't think it's a great idea.

We tend to line dry as far as possible then use the tumble dryer for the minimum possible time.

I may just be fortunate. But I've managed to use my dryer as little as possible (close to zero, I fluff my towels) and have had no damp problems. "

We have terrible problems with condensation and damp as our house has a north/ south orientation. The north wall is dreadful, in the winter unless we open windows, clear condensation off the windows and run a dehumidifier daily we get mould.

over a year ago

I purchased a roll of thermal silver reflective foam. (You can get it from B&Q) You cut it to size and place it behind radiators. Reflects heat back into the room, rather than letting it go into the wall. Have had it a while and seems to work well.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 17/09/22 16:08:37]

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I purchased a roll of thermal silver reflective foam. (You can get it from B&Q) You cut it to size and place it behind radiators. Reflects heat back into the room, rather than letting it go into the wall. Have had it a while and seems to work well."

think Edwina Currie told us that already . It looks like our politicians think really hard how to help us all after all

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

I have just been informed that my gas price will rise by 17.4% from 1st October, based on the last 12 months gas usage that will be an annual increase of £95, I can live with that.

No news on electricity rise though.

I have today installed PIR controlled solar lighting in both kitchen & Bathroom.

over a year ago

Get a greenhouse and put a washing line in it hang your washing inside it. You can always put a deckchair in there where you can always have a seat during the day and make a most of the what sunlight is available

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"They used to say keep your heating on in winter at a constant temperature all the time as more efficient rather than just have it on a few hours here and there. I wonder whether that was ever true"

That policy was more for the benefit of the companys not the home owners.

Same with turn your boiler lower leaflets in winter they never took into fact that not all central heating systems work the smae way.

The new condensate boilers work differently as well.

The rule of thumb is dont let your house get too cold otherwise it takes longer to heat up.

The same as plastered walls that are now being warmed from cold to being a thermal wall it will take weeks for them to hit a nice temp and radiate that heat back into the room.

Flash heat dosnt make you feel warm or the house warm it just feels warm/hot for a short period of time.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Can’t afford to buy draught excluders but rolled up towels do the same job

Sheets and smalls & duvet covers maybe tee shirts go in the condenser dryer as it takes less time and doesn’t add to the damp in the house. "

Cot duvets work better and so does the single 5tog duvets rolled up.

They act like an insulator and also as a draught excluder infont of the doors towels maybe easier but being rolled up there not as good.

You would be far better off using a wolly jumper as a draught excluder.

over a year ago

Air fryers are good. Ive got a 2 litre one that cooks for a bit less time (no pre heating)

and runs on 1000 watt rather than the 1250 watt 70 litre fitted oven

over a year ago

"Can’t afford to buy draught excluders but rolled up towels do the same job

Sheets and smalls & duvet covers maybe tee shirts go in the condenser dryer as it takes less time and doesn’t add to the damp in the house.

Cot duvets work better and so does the single 5tog duvets rolled up."

Want to buy me a couple? Since I don’t have the extra money to do so?

Air fryers/slow cooker - I have them

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

I'm lucky that my small house heats up very quickly. I will and have put the heating on.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

Any other ideas?

I plan to spend more time at work....even if they don't want me there and use their electricity, heating and kettle and hot water. Same for my support group which is held in a community centre. I can go to the library that is open until 8pm in London and/or the shopping centre that closes at 10. The night bus is pretty warm and many homeless take it all night long. I can shower at the gym if I don't want to use my shower and my neighbourhood has a laundry mat if I don't want to use my own washing machine. It's across the road from the library and community centre. Why anyone stays at home in London is beyond me. Lol! I know home is where the heart is.

Currently, I'm having night sweats and day sweats so I have to leave the heating off for most of the year anyway

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Any other ideas?

I plan to spend more time at work....even if they don't want me there and use their electricity, heating and kettle and hot water. Same for my support group which is held in a community centre. I can go to the library that is open until 8pm in London and/or the shopping centre that closes at 10. The night bus is pretty warm and many homeless take it all night long. I can shower at the gym if I don't want to use my shower and my neighbourhood has a laundry mat if I don't want to use my own washing machine. It's across the road from the library and community centre. Why anyone stays at home in London is beyond me. Lol! I know home is where the heart is.

Currently, I'm having night sweats and day sweats so I have to leave the heating off for most of the year anyway"

I was going to mention use the gym’s showers to wash. Even better, if your job has its own gym with showers.

J

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Any other ideas?

Currently, I'm having night sweats and day sweats so I have to leave the heating off for most of the year anyway

I was going to mention use the gym’s showers to wash. Even better, if your job has its own gym with showers.

J"

You need to have a gym membership to use their showers. If you're struggling for money you're unlikely to be able to afford that

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It'll be interesting to see how businesses react - as the help they're receiving is more limited

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

I did figure out a way for those that have flats and electric heaters to beable to use a small type wood stove.

But you have to use the rocket stove type as the other wood stoves produce way too much heat at the flue to be used.

by opening the window or the the top window depending on the size of opening you can fit a frame within a window to keep the outside air outside.

The window is protected from the heat as flue is only 300f and insulated.

The type of stove needed is a varient to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3jQE2Mh95Q

Yet uses 1 pallet in 2 weeks to a month produces loads of heat within a kitchen to lounge space.

size of space 25ft x 25ft and heated all that space up.

I will turn to alternatives but the window opening unit is better than taking out the top opener on some windows.

over a year ago

I’m currently sitting here boiling. Got my jumper on that was made from recycled plastic bottles. Toasty!

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

Any other ideas?

J

You need to have a gym membership to use their showers. If you're struggling for money you're unlikely to be able to afford that"

At my local leisure centre you can use the facilities for free one of two ways.

If you have a Freedom pass, the pool and showers are free.

If you have a GP exercise referral, the gym and the showers are free.

If you are on benefits the leisure centre is a discounted price including the showers.

Of course you have to weigh up the costs of the leisure centre/gym and using things in your home. I have to go to the gym anyway for my mobility.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Any other ideas?

J

You need to have a gym membership to use their showers. If you're struggling for money you're unlikely to be able to afford that

At my local leisure centre you can use the facilities for free one of two ways.

If you have a Freedom pass, the pool and showers are free.

If you have a GP exercise referral, the gym and the showers are free.

If you are on benefits the leisure centre is a discounted price including the showers.

Of course you have to weigh up the costs of the leisure centre/gym and using things in your home. I have to go to the gym anyway for my mobility."

That's great if one of those things apply.

over a year ago

Bit late now but anyone thought about storing there has electric pay cheaper earlier use later

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Oven door - definitely a good suggestion!

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Have a huge orgy, that'll warm things up! Or bath/shower with any fit neighbours...

Seriously, though, being a terminal geek I went on a 'miser crusade' about a year ago - the results were interesting: I've just had my 'leccy' bill - I'd used half the leccy for the same period last year and was a couple of hundred quid in credit. Clever me - er, well - the DD has still gone up from £95 to £223 (per month) based on the leccy that EDF thinks I am apparently going to use over the winter...

Mr Bicpl

over a year ago

"Have a huge orgy, that'll warm things up! Or bath/shower with any fit neighbours...

Seriously, though, being a terminal geek I went on a 'miser crusade' about a year ago - the results were interesting: I've just had my 'leccy' bill - I'd used half the leccy for the same period last year and was a couple of hundred quid in credit. Clever me - er, well - the DD has still gone up from £95 to £223 (per month) based on the leccy that EDF thinks I am apparently going to use over the winter...

Mr Bicpl"

You can get them to return the DD to the original amount.

My friends power supply did that to her, so she called them up complained and had them change the amount back to what it was. They are quick to take your money but not quick to return it

By *usie pTV/TS
over a year ago

taunton

I have gone back to EDF after swearing I would never use them again they were the cheapest I could find who would agree to charge for what I use rather than a regular standing amount, 34p kw business rate. I am having to read the meter and tell them at the mo they can't seem to connect with their own smart meter lol.

over a year ago

"I have gone back to EDF after swearing I would never use them again they were the cheapest I could find who would agree to charge for what I use rather than a regular standing amount, 34p kw business rate. I am having to read the meter and tell them at the mo they can't seem to connect with their own smart meter lol."

My so called smart meter is often offline as my area is a black spot

over a year ago

Just had my new tarrif charge rates through. I need to reduce my general usage by about 20% to keep my bills where they are - would have been circa 70% without the new cap which just isn't achievable overnight.

Let's all use this time (2 years) to reduce our useage and protect ourselves from the growing energy cost - there's not going to be any magic carbon based fuel bullet so we have no choice but to use less and improve renewables

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

Look into smart thermostatic radiator valves - you can have remote access to every radiator so you can easily just have one room being heated without having to go round turning valves on or off

over a year ago

"Look into smart thermostatic radiator valves - you can have remote access to every radiator so you can easily just have one room being heated without having to go round turning valves on or off "

Great tip but my place is so small now I can touch each room from the hallway and I'm in most of them in the evening. I'm going for a 20% reduction on heating though and waiting for the temps to get near freezing before I switch on. I spent last winter in my van which dropped to minus one inside so it's doable apart from when my kids stay.

over a year ago

"Look into smart thermostatic radiator valves - you can have remote access to every radiator so you can easily just have one room being heated without having to go round turning valves on or off

Great tip but my place is so small now I can touch each room from the hallway and I'm in most of them in the evening. I'm going for a 20% reduction on heating though and waiting for the temps to get near freezing before I switch on. I spent last winter in my van which dropped to minus one inside so it's doable apart from when my kids stay."

I’m not putting mine on until I absolutely have too. You can get heated throws for the living room that don’t use a lot of energy, might be worth getting one of them - I think my cats will enjoy it too

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Look into smart thermostatic radiator valves - you can have remote access to every radiator so you can easily just have one room being heated without having to go round turning valves on or off

You can get heated throws for the living room that don’t use a lot of energy, might be worth getting one of them - I think my cats will enjoy it too "

ive already explained above already dont just heat a room as its false ecconomy to do so

dont just use an electric blanket.

Electric blankets you use under your duvet are naturally more efficient than heated throws. This is because your duvet traps heat, so the blanket doesn’t have to work as hard to reach its target temperature. This means you can keep cosy all night long for between 1-2p depending on your energy tariff. If you want the most efficient way to keep cosy, this is definitely it!

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Electric blankets are goo, despevially if you want to warm up the bed before you jump in. They don't cost a lot to run but also some decent ones quite cheap to buy. I bought mine from the supermarket for around £25 and is fine. I used it a couple nights ago when it was very chilly and did not want to put the heating on yet

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

You can get heated throws for the living room that don’t use a lot of energy, might be worth getting one of them - I think my cats will enjoy it too

ive already explained above already dont just heat a room as its false ecconomy to do !"

Your quoting outdated information, whole house heating is only worth doing if it's properly insulated (Inc walls) and your using underfloor heating - otherwise heating one room is much more efficient than the whole house. Reducing the flow temperature of the boilers central heating to 50'c also helps but unless you're rads are oversized to compensate the rooms will feel cooler.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Their are some very stylish wall heaters which don't use much electric nor space just attached to the wall socket and reasonable priced this would reduce using gas and electric

over a year ago

A red one

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

You can get heated throws for the living room that don’t use a lot of energy, might be worth getting one of them - I think my cats will enjoy it too

ive already explained above already dont just heat a room as its false ecconomy to do !

Your quoting outdated information, whole house heating is only worth doing if it's properly insulated (Inc walls) and your using underfloor heating - otherwise heating one room is much more efficient than the whole house. Reducing the flow temperature of the boilers central heating to 50'c also helps but unless you're rads are oversized to compensate the rooms will feel cooler."

read properly before you quote anything

the property is uninsulated and has outside walls like many houses.

heating up one room with other rooms left to go cold is false economy as you are creating cold spots via internal walls and rooms that are not being heated.

instead of justy 4 oustide walls you have created 6 outside walls or more.

its the same with the downstairs heating the upstairs room as the heat radiates through the floor into the upstairs room.

im a plumber who fits central heating in propertrys i can assure you, I have to calculate your rooms sizes and factor in outside walls, windows and concrete or wood floors into sizing your radiators within rooms.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Their are some very stylish wall heaters which don't use much electric nor space just attached to the wall socket and reasonable priced this would reduce using gas and electric "

Next time know your information before you say it.

An electric radiator is probably the least cost-effective way to heat your home as they work with standard electricity tariffs and can be turned on and off manually. However if you have a very well-insulated property and don't have to use them regularly or only in certain rooms of your house then could work for you.

This was in 2020

search via this in google

Pros and Cons of the 6 main Heating Systems in the UK

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

Leftover hot kettle water into a baby size hot water bottle. Perfect size for hands.

Or a cat

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Hotties are great. A couple of mins in the microwave and great to go to bed with

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Their are some very stylish wall heaters which don't use much electric nor space just attached to the wall socket and reasonable priced this would reduce using gas and electric

Next time know your information before you say it.

An electric radiator is probably the least cost-effective way to heat your home as they work with standard electricity tariffs and can be turned on and off manually. However if you have a very well-insulated property and don't have to use them regularly or only in certain rooms of your house then could work for you.

This was in 2020

search via this in google

Pros and Cons of the 6 main Heating Systems in the UK"

Next time before you question understand the type of heater I'm referring to.... It's not huge it's more like an adaptor fits straight into the plug socket with built in thermostat

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Next time before you question understand the type of heater I'm referring to.... It's not huge it's more like an adaptor fits straight into the plug socket with built in thermostat"

So go ahead name the heater that you so called says it does quote its room size height x width x length is it insulated or not.

This will be interesting as i fit electric heaters into flats so i keep on top of what is best for landlords and the tennants to buy and use.

The heaters that have been tested is from 1kw right up to the 5kw industrial workshop fan heaters.

from convector heaters to oil filled electric wall radiators.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Next time before you question understand the type of heater I'm referring to.... It's not huge it's more like an adaptor fits straight into the plug socket with built in thermostat

So go ahead name the heater that you so called says it does quote its room size height x width x length is it insulated or not.

This will be interesting as i fit electric heaters into flats so i keep on top of what is best for landlords and the tennants to buy and use.

The heaters that have been tested is from 1kw right up to the 5kw industrial workshop fan heaters.

from convector heaters to oil filled electric wall radiators."

Here pal

The 500 watt power uses less energy than conventional heaters and can help save on your heating bill by only heating the one room/area required at a time rather than the whole house. Use the LED display settings to select the speed (low or high), your desired temperature between 15-30°C to heat or hold steady at room temperature they come at different wattage

over a year ago

ive already explained above already dont just heat a room as its false ecconomy to do so

Electric blankets you use under your duvet are naturally more efficient than heated throws. This is because your duvet traps heat, so the blanket doesn’t have to work as hard to reach its target temperature. This means you can keep cosy all night long for between 1-2p depending on your energy tariff. If you want the most efficient way to keep cosy, this is definitely it!"

I wasn’t talking about an electric blanket, I said an electric throw for the living room. I don’t need an electric blanket for my bed, as my duvet and a fleece on top is enough. Plus I have a memory foam mattress so shouldn’t use a leccy blanket on it.

If I’m sat in the living room in the evening and I get cold, I’ll need something on me, yes I could use a blanket over my legs but it’s my shoulders that get really cold

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Electric blankets you use under your duvet are naturally more efficient than heated throws. This is because your duvet traps heat, so the blanket doesn’t have to work as hard to reach its target temperature. This means you can keep cosy all night long for between 1-2p depending on your energy tariff. If you want the most efficient way to keep cosy, this is definitely it!

I wasn’t talking about an electric blanket, I said an electric throw for the living room. I don’t need an electric blanket for my bed, as my duvet and a fleece on top is enough. Plus I have a memory foam mattress so shouldn’t use a leccy blanket on it.

If I’m sat in the living room in the evening and I get cold, I’ll need something on me, yes I could use a blanket over my legs but it’s my shoulders that get really cold"

My shoulders get cold too and my neck. I never thought to see the day but I just bought a 'wearable blanket' from Amazon. It's basically a large blanket with sleeves and velcro fastenings, it comes up high on the neck. It's not heated but I reckon it will be nice and warm

over a year ago

If I’m sat in the living room in the evening and I get cold, I’ll need something on me, yes I could use a blanket over my legs but it’s my shoulders that get really cold

My shoulders get cold too and my neck. I never thought to see the day but I just bought a 'wearable blanket' from Amazon. It's basically a large blanket with sleeves and velcro fastenings, it comes up high on the neck. It's not heated but I reckon it will be nice and warm "

Oh don’t! I’ve been looking at Amazon and seen a jumper which is fleece lined. Then again I’ve got long polo necks in my cupboard they’d be enough without buying more clothes

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My shoulders get cold too and my neck. I never thought to see the day but I just bought a 'wearable blanket' from Amazon. It's basically a large blanket with sleeves and velcro fastenings, it comes up high on the neck. It's not heated but I reckon it will be nice and warm

Oh don’t! I’ve been looking at Amazon and seen a jumper which is fleece lined. Then again I’ve got long polo necks in my cupboard they’d be enough without buying more clothes "

I always have a scarf on in the winter, often a small headscarf type. I hate having a cold neck

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

ive already explained above already dont just heat a room as its false ecconomy to do !

Your quoting outdated information, whole house heating is only worth doing if it's properly insulated (Inc walls) and your using underfloor heating - otherwise heating one room is much more efficient than the whole house. Reducing the flow temperature of the boilers central heating to 50'c also helps but unless you're rads are oversized to compensate the rooms will feel cooler.

read properly before you quote anything

the property is uninsulated and has outside walls like many houses.

heating up one room with other rooms left to go cold is false economy as you are creating cold spots via internal walls and rooms that are not being heated.

instead of justy 4 oustide walls you have created 6 outside walls or more.

its the same with the downstairs heating the upstairs room as the heat radiates through the floor into the upstairs room.

im a plumber who fits central heating in propertrys i can assure you, I have to calculate your rooms sizes and factor in outside walls, windows and concrete or wood floors into sizing your radiators within rooms."

As am I - the energy expenditure to heat one room even with the extra thermal losses will still be less than heating the whole house.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I'm going to buy load's of chinchillas and use them to keep me warm.

over a year ago

"I'm going to buy load's of chinchillas and use them to keep me warm."

Hopefully not a la Cruella de Vil

Post new Message to Thread