FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Massive thumbs up to Parents/Grandparents :-)

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Secret saviours of the parents to young children all over the place who end up saving us a fortune in childcare costs.

Id be royally stuffed in the line of work im about to embark on if it wasn't for my own grandparents.

Just wondering how many of us who have children also depend on our own parents/other family members to assist with childcare?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

Another elements to bank of mum and dad...

over a year ago

"Another elements to bank of mum and dad..."

nothing in the world is free

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My parents live in Spain, so with the cost of flights I have to pay a more local babysitter.

Before they left though my mum got ever so upset if she couldnt have the grandkids at least 1 day a week, and following my divorce I had to work 3 jobs and study, Without them, well we wouldnt have made it through those years, we'd have starved and been made homeless so huge up to family

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Look at GrandparentsPlus.

over a year ago

We are lucky as we have always had family support. It must be really hard if you don't have help now and again.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I don't have kids but my sister does and she relies on my dad most weeks to help with child care after school. Dad loves it and is completely wrapped around their little fingers!!!

The baby only has to flutter her eye lashes at him to get what she wants

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

The hours and days that I work changes from week to week. We never would have been able to manage if my parents hadn't been able to help out especially when she was small.

over a year ago

Ive worked through all three pregnancies and gone back after thanks to my parents who look after my 3 despite both also working themselves. My in laws are good too. Although my mother has warned me if i have anymore i will have to retire

over a year ago

i dont have anyone to help with my kid, so she has to come to work with me, cant afford childcare at weekends either

over a year ago

Even thought about moving closer to my mum to help with work situation

over a year ago

My parents help out with my boy when they can and I dont like to "put on them' too often. However, financially, if it wasn't for their help, I wouldn't survive even though I work. I am so grateful to them

over a year ago

My kids have grown up now but the grandparents really helped out when they were younger, I hope I can do the same for my grand kids ( if I get any lol )....

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I was not really ever in the position to rely on either set of grandparents very much; not that we did not have a good relationship but distance and continuous moving around with the Forces meant we were rarely close enough to any of them.

Besides I kind of felt(and feel) they are my kids and my responsibility. Now that is not an implied criticism of anybody who does use them for babysitting... I totally understand the need in today's world especially against the ever rising cost of good child care.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

And meant to add that I would happily and gladly help my own kids with theirs.

over a year ago

actualy quite glad i havnt got any grandchildren.

over a year ago

Our first night with granddaughter who is coming down from Manchester area, looking forward to it as we have not seen her for a couple of weeks now, she is only two months old today.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Our first night with granddaughter who is coming down from Manchester area, looking forward to it as we have not seen her for a couple of weeks now, she is only two months old today."
That is the really cute stage as she will be smiling by now?

over a year ago

We look after our grandchildren when their parents work. The price of childcare these days is ridiculous and most of their pay would go on this, hardly worth working sometimes.

By *ummy mummyWoman
over a year ago

southampton-ish

I know if my mum was in this country she would help,sadly as she and the rest of my family are back in Canada,I am screwed when it comes to childcare.

over a year ago

My mums never helped me with my kids, her attitude has always been you had them you look after them, but to be fair to her she never had anyone to look after us as she always said she had us so it was her job to look after us

when my kids were young and i was married i worked night and my ex worked days, id do my night shift, take my kids to school and get a few hours sleep before picking them up again, my eldest were old enough to look after themselves when i split with my ex so didnt need a sitter and they take turns taking my youngest to school and picking her up now, but shes 12 now so it wouldnt be that many years till she can look after herself for a couple of hours after school

why my kids have children i will happily look after then as i see no shame in asking for help and will happily give it if needed

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"We look after our grandchildren when their parents work. The price of childcare these days is ridiculous and most of their pay would go on this, hardly worth working sometimes.

"

That is the reality that some families find themselves facing. They are then accused of scrounging.

My parents couldn't afford childcare so we didn't have any. We were locked into the flat when they went to work. Now they would be taken to court and we'd be in care - I am not advocating putting children in danger. However, the economic reality of paying for childcare in this country is underestimated. It is a political issue and it still needs addressing.

over a year ago

My mother has been a fantastic help over the last 10yrs with my children and has saved us a fortune in childcare . She adores her grandchildren and tells me its a pleasure not a chore.

over a year ago

the cost of nursery for an hour down here is £5

Luckily the government has working tax credit - the childcare element, which works out paying you back 70% of all child care costs providing its a registered nursery or childminder.

By *aris23Woman
over a year ago

France

I have a large family but all of them work too and my mother is too old to do childcare. two years ago I took over the care of my then 2 year grandson a and as I also work I had to find childcare elsewhere. The tax credits do pay around 70% of the costs but now he is at school there is another £45 a month for school meals, uniform he grows out of almost monthly plus normal living expenses for a 4 year old. On average I pay out £150 a month and dearly wish someone was able to help me with some time off from it all. I love him dearly though and would not have seen him go into a children's home. Family look after family where possible in my book.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

" Family look after family where possible in my book."

over a year ago

Grand kids turn up and the cat does a runner.

Hell of a handful, but would not miss a minute of them.

Took the Grandson (14 month old) on holiday and turned me into a 5yr old again.

Beach,arcade,ice cream,sweets all day long and grandma worried sick cos we been out to long.

Not sure who was tired out most, but i know who enjoyed it most.

over a year ago

I seem to have a bit of both... but I think it is good for them....

My parents do what they can when they are not working and the rest of the time they go to childcare.... I know my parents are very good to me, and appreciate everything they do 3 xxxx

over a year ago

My daughter and her partner lived with me when they returned to Scotland, they both worked in Edinburgh so I was left daily in sole charge of my (then) six month old grandson, I loved having him and he was over a year by the time they all moved out, I so missed him.

But I'm only an hours drive away and can still collect him from nursery or school if necessary.

My daughter has returned to university now, but before accepting her place she asked both her ex and myself if she can rely on us for back-up child-care during her studies and placements, which of course we will always give.

Post new Message to Thread