Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

the polar caps

Jump to newest

By *ctavius Stunt OP   Man
over a year ago

london

apparently they are melting more than they thought. Great time to ramp up the lies and the fear and find more ways to tax us.

Personally i do not believe in man made global warming. Its Just one more arrogant way in which the human race can delude themselves that they are in control.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"apparently they are melting more than they thought. Great time to ramp up the lies and the fear and find more ways to tax us.

Personally i do not believe in man made global warming. Its Just one more arrogant way in which the human race can delude themselves that they are in control. "

over a year ago

Those foolish humans, they will know better when the ice melts

over a year ago

They're not melting they are changing they appear to have shrunk but they're actually growing and as they are growing they are sinking further down in the water a plane that landed on top of a iceberg was found 300foot below sea level inside the iceberg

over a year ago

london

[Removed by poster at 29/11/12 19:48:19]

over a year ago

"They're not melting they are changing they appear to have shrunk but they're actually growing and as they are growing they are sinking further down in the water a plane that landed on top of a iceberg was found 300foot below sea level inside the iceberg "

over a year ago

london

"Those foolish humans, they will know better when the ice melts "
if you want to know how much the caps melting will raise sea levels here is an experiment. Book a flight to Thailand. Go to a beach bar and order a gin and tonic with loads of ice. Mark the level of liquid on the side of the glass. Let the sun do its work and melt the ice in the glass. You will note that the liquid level in the glass wont rise.

over a year ago

"Those foolish humans, they will know better when the ice melts if you want to know how much the caps melting will raise sea levels here is an experiment. Book a flight to Thailand. Go to a beach bar and order a gin and tonic with loads of ice. Mark the level of liquid on the side of the glass. Let the sun do its work and melt the ice in the glass. You will note that the liquid level in the glass wont rise.

"

But that's a disaster!!! then you will have a warm G&T

over a year ago

"Those foolish humans, they will know better when the ice melts if you want to know how much the caps melting will raise sea levels here is an experiment. Book a flight to Thailand. Go to a beach bar and order a gin and tonic with loads of ice. Mark the level of liquid on the side of the glass. Let the sun do its work and melt the ice in the glass. You will note that the liquid level in the glass wont rise.

But that's a disaster!!! then you will have a warm G&T "

Warm and watery

over a year ago

But that's a disaster!!! then you will have a warm G&T

Warm and watery"

Just when will these Drinkers ever learn

over a year ago

"apparently they are melting more than they thought. Great time to ramp up the lies and the fear and find more ways to tax us.

Personally i do not believe in man made global warming. Its Just one more arrogant way in which the human race can delude themselves that they are in control. "

ok I wasn't actually going to reply to this lol as I don't wish to step on anybody's toes But the facts are quite clear as to global warming is a reality and man made you only need to compare global weather and natural disasters to that off 20+ years ago even if you was to have a reasonable argument to that then just look at rising sea levels pls don't give me that crap about dissplasement theory if you don't understand it sorry if I have annoyed anyone that was not my intentions just wish people would treat it as a real threat ps I ain't no nature lover either Iol

over a year ago

I'm not so sure you can use information collated over a 20 year period to prove or disprove something that the planet goes through over millennia. The Earth goes through ice ages and heats up naturally, we may well have speeded up the next change but nothing we could do would stop it or start it. There are as many scientists saying this as there are the scare mongers. It's all theories and hypotheses but the "facts" are that the planet has seen ice ages etc long before we stepped out of the primordial ooze.

over a year ago

"

That only applies to sea ice - not the ice caps which sit above a land surface. When they melt (which is on the way) then sea level will rise dramatically. For the equivalent experiment, fill your glass with G&T to the brim, then throw in a handful of ice as well....

The problem is not so much the extra global warming, but the way that we have artificially accelerated the rate of warming.

over a year ago

Firstly 30 billion tonnes of anything into the environment each year has an impact.

Secondly floating ice when melted does affect the water volume by about 2.6%, see thermal expansion and salinity density of sea water. Plus there is a shit load more of it than in a glass (~700 cubic kilometres)

Me thinks to many armchair scientists here who like to pick and choose what science and measurable scientifct experimentation they'd like to believe in. Wonder if these are same people who trust science when they fly in a plane etc.

Bottom line is climate is changing and it's to late to stop it. How we deal with it is another matter - moving millions of people inland and building new ports etc

over a year ago

And people should really be better informed than spouting nonsense about only having a 20 year record. Direct visual Satalite data sure, but there is other evidence going back thousands of years.

Plus a scientific theory isn't "Ooo I think clouds are made out of candy floss", it's the falsability test that makes a theory. That is you cannot ever prove something true, only false.

Eg - theory, all cats have tails.

You can find cats and go yup have tails, but you can't find and inspect all cats in the universe.

Find a single cat without a tail and you have disproved that theory for ever!

If found false you then modify or come up with a new theory. That is science folks!

After all you do know newtons theory of gravity has prevent to be false? Science again folks - so stop pushing your agenda and opinions because you feel uncomfortable with what it means and actually look at the science and evidence - and not what the media shovel feeds you.

Case in point one of the biggest climate skeptics in the world spent a few years looking at the evidence, data and doing his own research and came to the conclusion "oh shit, we are having an effect"

Rant over - I just dislike ill informed people who spout propaganda withou researching the data themselves

over a year ago

Personally i do not believe in man made global warming. Its Just one more arrogant way in which the human race can delude themselves that they are in control. ok I wasn't actually going to reply to this lol as I don't wish to step on anybody's toes But the facts are quite clear as to global warming is a reality and man made you only need to compare global weather and natural disasters to that off 20+ years ago even if you was to have a reasonable argument to that then just look at rising sea levels pls don't give me that crap about dissplasement theory if you don't understand it sorry if I have annoyed anyone that was not my intentions just wish people would treat it as a real threat ps I ain't no nature lover either Iol "

MY Masters is in Geomorphological processes and climatology, so am reasonably well read up on it. There's more politics than anything else wound up in it all....perhaps the truth is that it's still very, very debatable either way....good humoured thread this generally, but just thought I'd say that one, but not wishing to 'debate' it as would be pointless! lol Back to the banter please

over a year ago

P.S: I bought a polar cap from Millets last week and it's still fine.....

over a year ago

"I'm not so sure you can use information collated over a 20 year period to prove or disprove something that the planet goes through over millennia. The Earth goes through ice ages and heats up naturally, we may well have speeded up the next change but nothing we could do would stop it or start it. There are as many scientists saying this as there are the scare mongers. It's all theories and hypotheses but the "facts" are that the planet has seen ice ages etc long before we stepped out of the primordial ooze. "

over a year ago

wind farms,solar energy,cities,highrise cities...

I'm sure the texas style crazy storms and tornados shows us some evidence

WE do affect the environment...we wont destroy it...however in our possible demise we'd take ourselves and a few other species with us.Sorry thatll be just a blip really in the the earths history.

over a year ago

"Firstly 30 billion tonnes of anything into the environment each year has an impact.

Secondly floating ice when melted does affect the water volume by about 2.6%, see thermal expansion and salinity density of sea water. Plus there is a shit load more of it than in a glass (~700 cubic kilometres)

Me thinks to many armchair scientists here who like to pick and choose what science and measurable scientifct experimentation they'd like to believe in. Wonder if these are same people who trust science when they fly in a plane etc.

Bottom line is climate is changing and it's to late to stop it. How we deal with it is another matter - moving millions of people inland and building new ports etc

"

hhahah why do u think we are trying to generate infrastructure into the middle-eastern parts of the world?-predicted ice age in the western world?- call me a conspiracy theorist lol or a crackpot...or both I dont care lol

over a year ago

"Firstly 30 billion tonnes of anything into the environment each year has an impact.

hhahah why do u think we are trying to generate infrastructure into the middle-eastern parts of the world?-predicted ice age in the western world?- call me a conspiracy theorist lol or a crackpot...or both I dont care lol"

That's where the energy [oil] is that drives our way of life. I'm sure you're aware saudi oil fields are near empty?

Besides climate change != warmer. The models do predict possible mini ice age in europe if the mid Atlantic conveyor turns off - which could happen with change in salinity in the Atlantic due to accelerated melting of artic area ice.

The planet will survive, but us and our way of life, debatable - bit of snow/drought/flood and everything falls to bits, if it happen a lot and more then what?

Anyhow no point having a sensible debate with facts is there, people believe what fits their current world view!

over a year ago

london

the G&T with ice was a little joke mate as i dont take man made global warming seriously. In fact id go as far to say it is a lie, but i must be wrong cos we all knbow our govts never lie to us.The earth was here 100's of billions of years before the human race and it will be here long long after we are gone. The earth has been through much worse than we can ever do to it, this is just an example of govts trying to tell us that they are "IN CONTROL" which is delusional arrogance.

"Firstly 30 billion tonnes of anything into the environment each year has an impact. Secondly floating ice when melted does affect the water volume by about 2.6%, see thermal expansion and salinity density of sea water. Plus there is a shit load more of it than in a glass (~700 cubic kilometres)

hhahah why do u think we are trying to generate infrastructure into the middle-eastern parts of the world?-predicted ice age in the western world?- call me a conspiracy theorist lol or a crackpot...or both I dont care lol

That's where the energy [oil] is that drives our way of life. I'm sure you're aware saudi oil fields are near empty?

Besides climate change != warmer. The models do predict possible mini ice age in europe if the mid Atlantic conveyor turns off - which could happen with change in salinity in the Atlantic due to accelerated melting of artic area ice.

The planet will survive, but us and our way of life, debatable - bit of snow/drought/flood and everything falls to bits, if it happen a lot and more then what?

Anyhow no point having a sensible debate with facts is there, people believe what fits their current world view!

"

over a year ago

"

Mmmmmm can see several problems with this ,

1. Why so far away.

2. Your adding to the problem by flying all that way lol.

3. You can do this experiment in your front room under a lamp .

4. There's lots of drop dead gorgeous birds in Thailand who ..........just off to pack my case and carry out this experiment .......

over a year ago

"They're not melting they are changing they appear to have shrunk but they're actually growing and as they are growing they are sinking further down in the water a plane that landed on top of a iceberg was found 300foot below sea level inside the iceberg "

300 ft below sea level? How long had it been there. Can you talk us thru the data?

over a year ago

london

hmmmm not such a glacial pace more like a usain bolt
"They're not melting they are changing they appear to have shrunk but they're actually growing and as they are growing they are sinking further down in the water a plane that landed on top of a iceberg was found 300foot below sea level inside the iceberg

300 ft below sea level? How long had it been there. Can you talk us thru the data? "

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

" That is you cannot ever prove something true, only false.

"

How long is a ball of string?

Twice as long as it is from the middle to the end. True fact.

*courtesy of the useless information department*

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"

300 ft below sea level? How long had it been there. Can you talk us thru the data? "

Obviously it was some kind of experimental plane/submarine hybrid

over a year ago

london

in 1618 a piece of string was 1,135 ft which was used to make rope measuring 120 fathoms or 720 ft
" That is you cannot ever prove something true, only false.

How long is a ball of string?

Twice as long as it is from the middle to the end. True fact.

*courtesy of the useless information department* "

over a year ago

"

300 ft below sea level? How long had it been there. Can you talk us thru the data?

Obviously it was some kind of experimental plane/submarine hybrid "

Maybe someone left the heater on and it just burrowed its way down

over a year ago

"They're not melting they are changing they appear to have shrunk but they're actually growing and as they are growing they are sinking further down in the water a plane that landed on top of a iceberg was found 300foot below sea level inside the iceberg

Another experiment,

first fly to Thailand and order a gin and tonic with lots of ice.

Next get a large block of ice in a freezer so it stays as ice despite Thailand being nice and warm.

Then place a piece of metal on top of the ice block, doesn't need to be hot but the experiment will be quicker if it is.

Finally pour warm water over the top of the ice block every time you fetch new ice for new G&T's

Within days you will find the metal object will be sinking through the ice block.

You could extrapolate that eventually the metal object will fall through the ice block, and could if you have a really big freezer be about 300 feet below sea level.

Or you may just discover that G&T is quite nice in a hot country.

Finally look around you, realise that actually not much of the country is very high above sea level, and hot drinks in Nepal may be safer

Finally realise that YES Global warming is coming, yep it's quite probably going to be a little faster due to our pollution of the atmosphere, we quite possibly accelerated it by one or two hundred years, which is pretty small in the geological time frame. Probably we didn't do it fast enough, the oil will run out before the population gets decimated, so we should probably look for alternative energy sources just in case.

over a year ago

london

"

Finally realise that YES Global warming is coming, yep it's quite probably going to be a little faster due to our pollution of the atmosphere, we quite possibly accelerated it by one or two hundred years, which is pretty small in the geological time frame. Probably we didn't do it fast enough, the oil will run out before the population gets decimated, so we should probably look for alternative energy sources just in case. "

Post new Message to Thread