Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Best mobile deal?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My old nokia has finally given up the ghost and turns itself off in the middle of a call, when a call comes in, or just when it damn well feels like it!

I went into town at the weekend to find myself a new smart phone but I left three hours later with my mind in a complete daze due to the bewildering amount of phones, deals and contract terms out there. It made my head spin!

I was impressed with the HTC Windows 8 phone, but also impressed with the Nokia Lumia 920 (the only one that is 4G capable apparently, but then it has to be on the EE network.. wtf???)

Dealwise, I could get unlimited anything/everything for £40/month (free smartphone) or 200mins, unlim text, 500mb data for £20/month but have to pay £100 for the phone.

HELP!!!!!!

What's the best deal out there and which phone should I get. I'm on O2 at the moment and would prefer to remain on it (Vodafone is shit tbh, had that with my old works phone and coverage is rubbish)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Depends entirely on what you need, and what deal out there fits that need closest. If you're after a smartphone(especially if it's an android phone), I'd recommend going with 3, and one of their all-you-can-eat-internet deals, as certain phones download updates automatically, which eats into your monthly data allowance...

over a year ago

Check the O2 website, they have some great deals on.

I have an HTC One X for work and it is flawless.

Easy to use, great camera, pretty much everything I need. I've yet to be swayed by the Windows phones and cannot stand the iPhone in any of its incarnations.

over a year ago

"Depends entirely on what you need, and what deal out there fits that need closest. If you're after a smartphone(especially if it's an android phone), I'd recommend going with 3, and one of their all-you-can-eat-internet deals, as certain phones download updates automatically, which eats into your monthly data allowance... "

I'm not too fussed about the data limits tbh as I don't plan on using to surf the net regularly. I can get my technical manuals in a form readable on a smart phone so a screen the size of an iPhone would be preferable (but I won't touch Apple products, can't stand the company). I text a lot but most deals seem to be unlim texts these days so that's a standard. Could do with lots of x-network minutes as I use my phone for my business.

I took a look at the Samsung Galaxy S3 and that's an awesome piece of kit but too big for what I want a phone for.

over a year ago

Have a look on one of the mobile comparison sites .. E.g. buymobilephones

You can then browse a variety of phones and networks and se what are the best deals ...

I'm currently using a samsung galaxy acer with orange. But looking to upgrade again in the new year.

Orange have what they call swapables on some tariffs which give you premium services - I get all of the sky sports channels for free and can watch any footy match - link to a wifi network and there are ni data charges

over a year ago

"Depends entirely on what you need, and what deal out there fits that need closest. If you're after a smartphone(especially if it's an android phone), I'd recommend going with 3, and one of their all-you-can-eat-internet deals, as certain phones download updates automatically, which eats into your monthly data allowance...

I'm not too fussed about the data limits tbh as I don't plan on using to surf the net regularly. I can get my technical manuals in a form readable on a smart phone so a screen the size of an iPhone would be preferable (but I won't touch Apple products, can't stand the company). I text a lot but most deals seem to be unlim texts these days so that's a standard. Could do with lots of x-network minutes as I use my phone for my business.

I took a look at the Samsung Galaxy S3 and that's an awesome piece of kit but too big for what I want a phone for."

There's an S3 mini coming out for christmas

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"My old nokia has finally given up the ghost and turns itself off in the middle of a call, when a call comes in, or just when it damn well feels like it!

I went into town at the weekend to find myself a new smart phone but I left three hours later with my mind in a complete daze due to the bewildering amount of phones, deals and contract terms out there. It made my head spin!

I was impressed with the HTC Windows 8 phone, but also impressed with the Nokia Lumia 920 (the only one that is 4G capable apparently, but then it has to be on the EE network.. wtf???)

Dealwise, I could get unlimited anything/everything for £40/month (free smartphone) or 200mins, unlim text, 500mb data for £20/month but have to pay £100 for the phone.

HELP!!!!!!

What's the best deal out there and which phone should I get. I'm on O2 at the moment and would prefer to remain on it (Vodafone is shit tbh, had that with my old works phone and coverage is rubbish)"

as much as I love 4G (LTE) remember that it only applies to data, and it spotty at best at the moment... for example where me and you live wishy... low fell doesn't have 4G, but the lower end of Team Valley does.....

I am on Orange/T-mobile so moving to EE was a doddle, unless you are going to be downloading data using your phone, no real need to have 4G at the mo, O2 will get round to rolling it out eventually... probably not till late 2013-early 2014

hope that helps network wise....

phone wise, the only issue I have if you are going to go down the "windows software" phone route... remember it is the junior of android and ios.... so there will be a very limited range of apps out there to improve your experience...

windows may end up being squeezed out in the Android/IOS fight.... just as blackberry has....

over a year ago

"My old nokia has finally given up the ghost and turns itself off in the middle of a call, when a call comes in, or just when it damn well feels like it!

HELP!!!!!!

What's the best deal out there and which phone should I get. I'm on O2 at the moment and would prefer to remain on it (Vodafone is shit tbh, had that with my old works phone and coverage is rubbish)

as much as I love 4G (LTE) remember that it only applies to data, and it spotty at best at the moment... for example where me and you live wishy... low fell doesn't have 4G, but the lower end of Team Valley does.....

I am on Orange/T-mobile so moving to EE was a doddle, unless you are going to be downloading data using your phone, no real need to have 4G at the mo, O2 will get round to rolling it out eventually... probably not till late 2013-early 2014

phone wise, the only issue I have if you are going to go down the "windows software" phone route... remember it is the junior of android and ios.... so there will be a very limited range of apps out there to improve your experience...

windows may end up being squeezed out in the Android/IOS fight.... just as blackberry has....

"

Tks Fabio. I guess I'm just an old Windows stalwart and prefer to use something I'm already familiar with. I'd heard Android was being dumped by some phone manufacturers which kind of steered me away from it but if the only alternative is IOS then I'll go with Andriod I suppose.

As for the Galaxy S3 Mini coming out, I'd be very interested in that. Anyone know when?

over a year ago

Looks like it was released in uk on nov 8th, according ti the techradar website

http://m.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-uk-release-date-confirmed-1109188

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

Don't touch 3 with a bargepole ! Their CS is absolutely shocking.

Vodafone's coverage is OK now, been with them for years and never have problems anymore, same could be said of O2 though, my daughter used to have terrible problems with it round here but it's fine now.

One of my other daughters has the Nokia Windows phone and loves it. More telling is that her husband loves it too and he's an Apple stalwart.

Doesn't sound like App choice is a major concern and if Windows phones get squeezed out my iOS/Android, just switch in a couple of years.

I've got an iPad and an HTC Desire HD, neither of which i have any problems with at all, if that's any point of reference.

over a year ago

I got the O2 agent in a chat window and I've got him to give me a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini for nothing on £26/month unlim text unlim mins and 1Gb data with a 32GB Sd card thrown in. Happy Christmas to me lol

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Depends entirely on what you need, and what deal out there fits that need closest. If you're after a smartphone(especially if it's an android phone), I'd recommend going with 3, and one of their all-you-can-eat-internet deals, as certain phones download updates automatically, which eats into your monthly data allowance...

I took a look at the Samsung Galaxy S3 and that's an awesome piece of kit but too big for what I want a phone for."

Many deals say that they are unlimited right up until you get a high bill for internet useage!

I'm with 3 and my all you can eat really is unlimited. My work phone is with T mobile (or ee as they are now calling themselves) and that's the one I have reception and coverage issues with.

I also have an O2 dongle which has caused me all kinds of problems when they have lost coverage for days and they are no good at saying when it'll be back.

Yes 3 use Indian based support staff, but they can deal with most things and it's rare that I need to call them. I just make sure that I am reasonably calm and that I know what I want or what problem needs resolving before I call!

As to which phone, I haven't kept up on the new ones since I have quite a few months before mine is due to be upgraded so there's no point.

over a year ago

"I got the O2 agent in a chat window and I've got him to give me a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini for nothing on £26/month unlim text unlim mins and 1Gb data with a 32GB Sd card thrown in. Happy Christmas to me lol "

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the general rule of thumb is if you can stay off downloading video straight to your phone then you should be fine for staying within even the smaller of data limits.....

you are looking at watching films off a tablet or phone... download it thru your computer 1st then transfer.....

don't get me wrong... when i have been in a 4G area, even just browsing the web has been shit quit! (probably couldn't really tell the difference between that and my house lappy......) but if you are on o2/voda and you don't really need it, don't switch for the sake of switching...

if you are on orange/t-mobile, and you have the chance to and you were going to upgrade, then do it!!!

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

[Removed by poster at 28/11/12 12:02:36]

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

HELP!!!!!!

"

I'd direct you to google Blackberry 10 before you follow the pack in writing Rim off!

Rims shares have gone up by 55% on the strength of it. Launch date Jan 30

80 Million BB users out there.

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

You like the product but not the company? Nose and face springs to mind ! lol

Worth considering if you can wait:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2012/11/blackberry-10-launch-event/

Blackberry 10..

Samsung, Htc have some good features but look like they wouldn't be out of place in a crèche!

The operating systems are open to virus issues to as was recently found.

I used to be a huge Nokia fan and their latest looks like a good effort.

But I'd google Blackberry 10 before making a decision. Share values have increased by some 55% on the strength if it.

There are 80 million BB customers so they must be doing something right.

over a year ago

I took a look at the Samsung Galaxy S3 and that's an awesome piece of kit but too big for what I want a phone for.

Blackberry 10..

Samsung, Htc have some good features but look like they wouldn't be out of place in a crèche!

But I'd google Blackberry 10 before making a decision. Share values have increased by some 55% on the strength if it.

There are 80 million BB customers so they must be doing something right."

It's Apple I don't like, not Samsung.

The BB10 looks a nice piece of kit too but I can't wait until end-January as my existing phone is fooked.

I can always get one when my new phone deal expires. Granted, it looks nice though.

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

Blackberry 10..

There are 80 million BB customers so they must be doing something right.

It's Apple I don't like, not Samsung.

The BB10 looks a nice piece of kit too but I can't wait until end-January as my existing phone is fooked.

I can always get one when my new phone deal expires. Granted, it looks nice though."

Sorry it was apple I was referring to, so get a cheap pay as you go and then get the BB, cheap phone can they be used for meeting swingers! How's that for an idea! lol

over a year ago

Don't touch 3 with a bargepole ! Their CS is absolutely shocking......

I totally agree with this, we havent had a network indoors for the past 23 days - and 3 do not believe it will be back until Dec 5th - and they dont care !!!!!

By *amslam1000Man
over a year ago

willenhall

what about the galaxy ace from cw £7.50 a month for 24 months cheep enough to use for a bit then keep as a meet phone later

over a year ago

I'm waiting for my new phone to arrive. The delivery tracking thing says between 8.30 - 12.30.

They've got an hour to go. Bet it doesn't arrive by 12.30.

over a year ago

Reading up on the S3 it says that you can call a contact by simply holding the phone to your ear and that the phone knows when you are looking at it so it doesn't turn the screen off.

I bet it has a Arnie voice saying, "I'll be back!" too.

over a year ago

I LOVE my new phone!!

It has voice activated SatNav built into it. Fookin brill!

By *H.coupleCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

HELP!!!!!!

What's the best deal out there and which phone should I get. I'm on O2 at the moment and would prefer to remain on it (Vodafone is shit tbh, had that with my old works phone and coverage is rubbish)"

sign up to quidco and they give you money for using them then you get all the deals on top, we signed up a few weeks back and thinks its an amazing idea, galaxy samsung s3, a samsung tablet for £23 a month and quidco gives up to £120 cashback for using them. not too shabby

over a year ago

^^ That's a good deal.

I just spent an hour on the phone sorting our upgrades and got two S3's for free and £26 per month each.

I thought I had done well

over a year ago

Just up graded with 3 and they give a discount each year you are with them, I have a I phone 4s now, all u can eat data, unlimited text, 200mins face time and 5000mins calls with 3to3 is free and I message are free anyway, £33 a month

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"I LOVE my new phone!!

"

Good for you,...and you can be safe in the knowledge that S2's and S'3s have pissed over the over rated and over hyped Iphones for the second year running..

By *H.coupleCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I LOVE my new phone!!

Good for you,...and you can be safe in the knowledge that S2's and S'3s have pissed over the over rated and over hyped Iphones for the second year running.."

mrs s3 has made me change from my highly overrated and personally, much despised iphone.

over a year ago

"I LOVE my new phone!!

Good for you,...and you can be safe in the knowledge that S2's and S'3s have pissed over the over rated and over hyped Iphones for the second year running..

mrs s3 has made me change from my highly overrated and personally, much despised iphone. "

The wife has just intimated that we 'may have to swap phones' now she's had a good look at mine and then had to go back to her cruddy old iPhone.

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"I LOVE my new phone!!

mrs s3 has made me change from my highly overrated and personally, much despised iphone.

The wife has just intimated that we 'may have to swap phones' now she's had a good look at mine and then had to go back to her cruddy old iPhone. "

Been there mate..the mrs loved her phone,..then she saw mine and all of a sudden hers was 'crap'..and lo..it 'accidentally' fell out of her bag!!...

So I treated her to an ace 2...another decent phone...

Cos shes werf it!!

Post new Message to Thread