Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Can you change a tyre on a car

Jump to newest

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Only asking as just had to go rescue my son... ( he has borrowed a car off me and got a flat )

.he couldn't change it as all his newer cars have had run flats or those tubes you fill the tyre up with...

None of his mates knew how to do it either...

I was surprised as my daughters all can but I made them learn that.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

Yes and have done it on my car and other cars

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Anyone who says they can’t just haven’t tried. It’s easy enough and with most people carrying a smartphone a YouTube tutorial should be able to show them how.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I could if I really had too but I’m on run flats and no spare

By *ister CMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Yep...

I have been called by people to walk them through it too...

Its amusing...

Like a shit episode of 24...

over a year ago

I can. It is easy and everyone can do it.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I can yes but have had run flats myself for last 5 or so years so never needed to,

My girls all can , I taught them all to drive and included basic maintenance , changing tyres, checking pressure, tread, brake pad and disc wear, topping up liquids, cleaning an air filter

over a year ago

Yes have changed car wheels many times and think it should be part of the driving test imo Lee

over a year ago

Yes, I sure can.

By *HaRiFMan
over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

"Only asking as just had to go rescue my son... ( he has borrowed a car off me and got a flat )

.he couldn't change it as all his newer cars have had run flats or those tubes you fill the tyre up with...

I was surprised as my daughters all can but I made them learn that. "

Surely he could have just YouTube it

over a year ago

It makes you wonder if people know how to jack a car up….

It should be very simple to change over a flat with a spare wheel but then some people don’t have the first clue about how to do such a thing.

By *ooongandgirthyMan
over a year ago

Newport

Wheel, tyre, engine... Yes i can lol

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"I can. It is easy and everyone can do it."

No, they can't. I know how to change one and have done so in my able bodied life, but from my wheelchair, I can't use the shitty turn-y jack and I can't get enough oomph to loosen the nuts. I can no longer physically change a tyre and I doubt many elderly people can either (despite likely being theoretically able to go through the steps).

So no, not everyone can change a tyre.

over a year ago

Yes my brother taught me before I could drive

over a year ago

North West

"It makes you wonder if people know how to jack a car up….

It should be very simple to change over a flat with a spare wheel but then some people don’t have the first clue about how to do such a thing."

And some people know exactly how to do it, but are physically unable. Like elderly and disabled people

over a year ago

I know how to change a tyre on a car, but the last time I tried I couldn't undo the nuts ( no they were not locking nuts) x

By *nked and Ms InkedCouple
over a year ago

nr wrexham

Yep, dad taught me. I had to change one when had a flat on the motorway. Probably amused a number of people driving past, as my ex was stood watching as he couldn’t do it. So my friend and I, both in highly impractical outfits (we’d just been to a metal gig) did it instead.

All I can say. Is make sure you’re not in head to foot black lace or pvc, as it can be a bit nippy, early hours of the morning, with outfits flapping about you, flashing your ass, as you try to balance on platform heels haha

Tip: Pack sensible footwear in the boot, as well as the spare tyre xx

By *echnosonic_BrummieMan
over a year ago

Willenhall

"I know how to change a tyre on a car, but the last time I tried I couldn't undo the nuts ( no they were not locking nuts) x"

The trick is to undo the nuts a quarter-turn or so when the car is still on the ground. Once you engage the wheel brace onto the nut put all your effort (and weight) pushing down on one end of one of the bars of the brace (maximising leverage). Make sure this will turn the brace anti-clockwise of course...

Most cars no longer come with a spare wheel or, if they do, they come with one of those small "50mph max" run-on-flat types or just a tyre repair kit.

I'm not a mechanic, just speaking from experience.

over a year ago

"I know how to change a tyre on a car, but the last time I tried I couldn't undo the nuts ( no they were not locking nuts) x

The trick is to undo the nuts a quarter-turn or so when the car is still on the ground. Once you engage the wheel brace onto the nut put all your effort (and weight) pushing down on one end of one of the bars of the brace (maximising leverage). Make sure this will turn the brace anti-clockwise of course...

Most cars no longer come with a spare wheel or, if they do, they come with one of those small "50mph max" run-on-flat types or just a tyre repair kit.

I'm not a mechanic, just speaking from experience. "

I tried all the tricks for undoing the nuts even trying a turn the over way and putting a pipe on the wheel brace.

over a year ago

Willenhall

"

I tried all the tricks for undoing the nuts even trying a turn the over way and putting a pipe on the wheel brace.

"

Had it been driven flat for a while? This can cause the bolts to expand through heat making the wheel nuts nigh-on impossible to remove by hand. If this happens the only realistic solution is to remove it hub-and-all but that is no help unless you have a spare wheel hub assembly as well as a spare wheel.

The other thing that can make it difficult is corrosion. The threads are normally large enough for this to not be a problem but if you mainly drive in coastal areas or on roads that are frequently gritted (i.e. a wet & salty environment) the threads can rust into each other.

How did it get changed?

over a year ago

Willenhall

"

The other thing that can make it difficult is corrosion. The threads are normally large enough for this to not be a problem but if you mainly drive in coastal areas or on roads that are frequently gritted (i.e. a wet & salty environment) the threads can rust into each other. "

Groan. Just spotted "Ilfracombe".

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I could, if I had too but most of the new cars now do not have a spare tyre

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Yep. I got taught at school and have used the skill quite a lot

My nephew recently passed his test and I went to show him how to do his (he just thought you put air in it if it went flat) but he doesn't have a spare. Still might show him on my car as it is a good life skill to have.

By *ustBoWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

Yep I know how to and have changed quite a few over the years. Including other people's when they have been stuck at the side of the road.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Yes. It's not the nicest thing to do though

By *eardedvillainMan
over a year ago

Bangor N.Ireland

I've never changed a tyre but changed lots of wheels on cars and bikes

By *ellinever70Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

Probably not...I've never had to and don't feel the need to be able to

By *erry bull1Man
over a year ago

doncaster

Try changing a truck wheel especially if you struggle with a car wheel change

By *anilla switchWoman
over a year ago

Hampshire

I Can proudly say I did, with the help of watching a YouTube video.

A bike tyre however, jeepers now that is fiddly

over a year ago

Yes. Lots of times.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"I could, if I had too but most of the new cars now do not have a spare tyre "

Nor do they have a jack or wheel brace so you are at the mercy of the recovery guys.

My current car came with a skinny spare wheel which I swapped with a full size wheel at the local scrapyard. also carry a 600m long piece of steel tubing to act as a lever for the wheelbrace.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Taught my daughters how to do it and on a night out one of them had to instruct a male friend because he didn't know how and she had her arm in a sling.

A few years later her 6'4" cage fighting boyfriend tried changing a tyre on her car but didn't loosen the nuts before jacking up and the jack collapsed with the force.

over a year ago

I have done in the past, I'm not sure if I could now.. I just call AA

By *oody HuddsonMan
over a year ago

sexy town

Nope….

I don’t have the kit to change a tyre but I can change the wheel and then take it for the the tyre changing

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"It makes you wonder if people know how to jack a car up….

It should be very simple to change over a flat with a spare wheel but then some people don’t have the first clue about how to do such a thing."

Having seen the damage under plenty of cars, a lot of people don't have a clue how to jack up a car.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Yes and done it just the once on my own car.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Done it several times, even once whilst dressed up in a wig and dress.

However my car doesn’t have a spare wheel, so if the same scenario happens again, it looks like an RAC job.

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"Yes have changed car wheels many times and think it should be part of the driving test imo Lee "

I think this is a great idea. The ability to get yourself home should be part of being able to drive.

over a year ago

North West

"Yes have changed car wheels many times and think it should be part of the driving test imo Lee

I think this is a great idea. The ability to get yourself home should be part of being able to drive."

So disabled people shouldn't be allowed to drive then?

over a year ago

Yeah, I just dial the number for RAC.

By *he love catsCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

I have done, struggled with the nut's a bit, which is unusual for me.

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

For a minute I was worried this was going to be in a similar vein to the "can anyone help me mount a towball" thread.

Yup, changed loads of wheels over the years. Once you know how it's pretty straightforward.

Winston

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"Yes have changed car wheels many times and think it should be part of the driving test imo Lee

I think this is a great idea. The ability to get yourself home should be part of being able to drive.

So disabled people shouldn't be allowed to drive then?"

I didn’t say that so please don’t put words in my mouth. Clearly exceptions would be made.

over a year ago

North West

It's

Only

Straightforward

If

You

Physically

Can

Do

It!!

I repeat, it is possible to know the steps of changing a tyre but be physically unable to do it. I can no longer physically do it, though I did in my able bodied past. Many disabled and most elderly people will be physically unable to do it.

And with the run flats and weird paste stuff, many people will have no equipment to change a tyre in any case.

over a year ago

North West

So disabled people shouldn't be allowed to drive then?

I didn’t say that so please don’t put words in my mouth. Clearly exceptions would be made."

I ask the question because the statement was rather sweeping and didn't suggest any such exceptions.

This whole thread is awash with sweeping statements "it's easy" "anyone can change a tyre" "the ability to get yourself home should be part of being able to drive"

Etc.

It's very able-ist and unnecessary. Most people haven't got the option to change a tyre nowadays due to most modern cars not having space for a full spare and equipment to change.

By *arkjackMan
over a year ago

West Cork

"I know how to change a tyre on a car, but the last time I tried I couldn't undo the nuts ( no they were not locking nuts) x

I'm not a mechanic, just speaking from experience.

"

Did you try using an impact gun or breaker bar after penetrating fluid?

By *eneralKenobiMan
over a year ago

North Angus

I was a tyre fitter for a short while but even before that I could switch a wheel out.

Some things like that should be part of the test

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

I'm not sure I could change a tyre, but I can change a wheel very easily.

By *MisschiefxTV/TS
over a year ago

London

Yep. Had a blowout on the Autobahn at 120mph on the way to the Nurburgring. Changed the tire on the hard shoulder and missed our time slot on the track while we went around looking for a new tire.

over a year ago

Piece of piss. Someone once asked me to help them but they didn’t have the locking nut for the hub plate. As most modern ones have that nowadays to hide the bolts. If she kept it in her car it would have saved her a bill with the mechanic that had spares.

By *reddy400Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"Only asking as just had to go rescue my son... ( he has borrowed a car off me and got a flat )

I’ve never changed a car tire before, if I do get a flat I’ve a temporary puncher kit till I get to a garage....but I’d give it a go if I didn’t have any other option can’t be that hard....

By *arkjackMan
over a year ago

West Cork

"

This whole thread is awash with sweeping statements "it's easy" "anyone can change a tyre" "the ability to get yourself home should be part of being able to drive"

Etc.

It's very able-ist and unnecessary. Most people haven't got the option to change a tyre nowadays due to most modern cars not having space for a full spare and equipment to change. "

While true, I really doubt if we did an experiment in real life that most younger people could change a tyre even with the correct equipment.

You have two groups - one finds it easy and one finds it dreadful.

What has happened is that tacit skills have been draining out of the world for some time, and you can actually run out of it - we see evidence for that everywhere today. People have lost elementary abilities, like cleaning and cooking - it's a form of poverty hard for older generations to understand.

By *anchester_subMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I can and have done a few times.

However my current car doesn’t have a spare

over a year ago

Definitely I've tried to teach my kids all about the car water oil all basic service stuff.

over a year ago

North West

"

Etc.

It's very able-ist and unnecessary. Most people haven't got the option to change a tyre nowadays due to most modern cars not having space for a full spare and equipment to change.

While true, I really doubt if we did an experiment in real life that most younger people could change a tyre even with the correct equipment.

You have two groups - one finds it easy and one finds it dreadful.

What has happened is that tacit skills have been draining out of the world for some time, and you can actually run out of it - we see evidence for that everywhere today. People have lost elementary abilities, like cleaning and cooking - it's a form of poverty hard for older generations to understand."

My Dad (83) has never had a clue how to change a car tyre. Evidence: sitting at the side of the road as a child, waiting for the breakdown people to change the tyre on his Mazda 323 (with pop up headlights).

I had to learn to do it very soon after passing my test, because I had a blow out on my first solo adventure (actually, I had my 16 month old son with me). I changed the wheel with guidance over the phone from my stepfather, my infant son had to remain in the car while I did it because there was nowhere safe for him to go.

I've changed wheels since then but then acquired a disability and now there's no way I can physically do it. I can instruct someone else how to, or I have to wait for my breakdown service (which I pay extra for the "full service").

over a year ago

Yes

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Nope.

Thats what the AA/RAC is for. I’m just the damsel in distress

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Technically, yes; actually, no as I can't physically turn the nuts or pull one off the axle now.

over a year ago

Not much I can do on cars, but yes to changing tyres

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"Technically, yes; actually, no as I can't physically turn the nuts or pull one off the axle now.

"

I probably couldn't use a jack now either.

over a year ago

Nope

over a year ago

Yes, and currently teaching my daughter how to do it, never too young

over a year ago

Nope, never done it. Burn me now...

By *RANDMRSJAECouple
over a year ago

chester

Not a clue! There’s a bunch of people I can call, including RAC. I’ve had run flats for years anyway.

By *MisschiefxTV/TS
over a year ago

London

"Yes, and currently teaching my daughter how to do it, never too young "

"Just because you're a 1 year old doesn't meant you can drop the wrench and cry about it like a baby. Now pick it up and change the tire!"

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

What annoys me is the state of the roads and all the holes and debri that nobody gives a damn about anymore. I had 3 flat tyres in less than a year because of that. It looks like everyone has given up on sorting out our roads these days and the little bit they do never seems to be done properly or checked. Every Tom, Dick and Harry figs everywhere for their commercial interests and always leave the road worse off but nobody seems to check or care about it and the councils are waisting money contracting repairs out to firms that don't really care either

By *oystick-MCRMan
over a year ago

Manchester | London

And some women say I have a son the same age a you. Right, but can he change a flat?

over a year ago

"

Had it been driven flat for a while? This can cause the bolts to expand through heat making the wheel nuts nigh-on impossible to remove by hand. If this happens the only realistic solution is to remove it hub-and-all but that is no help unless you have a spare wheel hub assembly as well as a spare wheel.

The other thing that can make it difficult is corrosion. The threads are normally large enough for this to not be a problem but if you mainly drive in coastal areas or on roads that are frequently gritted (i.e. a wet & salty environment) the threads can rust into each other.

How did it get changed? "

The many joys of living my the sea x

Unfortunately I had to make a call for a man in a yellow van to rescue me. It took a while as at the time I had to walk down the road to get a signal and then for the guy to find me with out an address, funny country lanes don't have one. Anyway it all worked out. Ps it was a classic mini x

By *orny DeucesCouple
over a year ago

Mansfield

Changed 4 tyres on our eldest car yesterday. He was well chuffed.

His little car became a monster truck, and when he put some more Lego on it, looked even better

By *rancois Du BoisMan
over a year ago

The wrong side of the tracks.

I guess you mean wheel rather than tyre as that’s a whole other palava. But yes I’m disgusted by how many of my friends don’t know how to change a wheel!

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

"

How did it get changed?

The many joys of living my the sea x

Unfortunately I had to make a call for a man in a yellow van to rescue me. It took a while as at the time I had to walk down the road to get a signal and then for the guy to find me with out an address, funny country lanes don't have one. Anyway it all worked out. Ps it was a classic mini x"

You need What 3 Words.

By *lderflowerappleWoman
over a year ago

North Hampshire

Have no idea! But none of the cars I've had in the past 8 or 9 years have had spare wheels anyway.

That's why I take out breakdown cover!

over a year ago

Yes but after watching the last episode of season 3 of Yellowstone maybe not.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman
over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Nope

I have breakdown cover and a awesome cleavage, so have never had to. I've brought plenty of rescuers a pint though

over a year ago

I will add though to anyone wanting to do it themselves consider your surroundings. As you will be amazed how stupid people can be. I have seen people try and change tyres on a busy dual carriageway with no advanced warning and a jack that only works from the side. If it’s not safe don’t do it.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Recently done a brake service, so two wheels off (still got the other end to do later). Does help when yo have a commercial quality trolley jack and air fed wheel gun.

Used to rebuild cars years ago, so done pretty much everything from engine changes to subframe replacements-even did a full respray on one car. Miss the days when you did t need a laptop and expensive software to diagnose even fairly minor issues

By *ornym66Man
over a year ago

Col /ips

I helped 2 nurses out on the side of the road she had just left work her tyre was flat so I sorted it out but the amount of people the drove past them and yes I can change a tyre

over a year ago

I can, but then again I have just finished rebuilding the engine and gearbox in my ancient campervan so changing wheels is not a problem, I have fitted new tyres on wheels in the past

over a year ago

"I will add though to anyone wanting to do it themselves consider your surroundings. As you will be amazed how stupid people can be. I have seen people try and change tyres on a busy dual carriageway with no advanced warning and a jack that only works from the side. If it’s not safe don’t do it. "

This is the first consideration regardless of wether you are capable or not.

over a year ago

Yes

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I must admit that I do somewhat struggle to lift the car up and balance it on my hip long enough to get the old tyre off and the new one on.

I have found however that if I crash my car into my neighbours outer garden fence at just the right angle, I can suspend my car on three wheels which makes life a little easier

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Nope, theory of yes. Last time I tried I was literally not strong enough to loosen the nuts myself.

over a year ago

"I must admit that I do somewhat struggle to lift the car up and balance it on my hip long enough to get the old tyre off and the new one on.

I have found however that if I crash my car into my neighbours outer garden fence at just the right angle, I can suspend my car on three wheels which makes life a little easier "

Ok if I shout you next time I need a tyre changing?

By *eeboCouple
over a year ago

basingstoke

Yes was taught by my Dad when I learnt to drive!

Did it a few times when younger when changing alloys etc and once for a flat tyre on the side of dual carriage way which was not an experience I would like to repeat!!

Like most people say, with new tyres and rescue services etc less and less likely to ever actually need to but nice to know you could if you had to!

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"I must admit that I do somewhat struggle to lift the car up and balance it on my hip long enough to get the old tyre off and the new one on.

I have found however that if I crash my car into my neighbours outer garden fence at just the right angle, I can suspend my car on three wheels which makes life a little easier

Ok if I shout you next time I need a tyre changing? "

Of course - I’ve got garden fence aided car elevation down to a fine art (but my neighbours don’t seem to like me for some unknown reason….)

over a year ago

Nope...

Miss S x

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Not a clue! There’s a bunch of people I can call, including RAC. I’ve had run flats for years anyway.

"

do you not go get a cheap spare wheel for emergencies??

I have always done this when I get a car with stupid spares... unless I was physically unable to then I'd be a bit embarrassed ringing a recovery service for a wheel/tyre change.

Plus there is the wait time x

over a year ago

Ok if I shout you next time I need a tyre changing?

Of course - I’ve got garden fence aided car elevation down to a fine art (but my neighbours don’t seem to like me for some unknown reason….) "

Rubbish - I'm sure they're hiding a secret obsession with your nipples

By *oystick-MCRMan
over a year ago

Manchester | London

"Nope

I have breakdown cover and a awesome cleavage, so have never had to. I've brought plenty of rescuers a pint though "

If it was me I’d want milkshake and motorboat at least

over a year ago

I can’t even my diet !

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

"Nope, theory of yes. Last time I tried I was literally not strong enough to loosen the nuts myself. "

You could use the jack to help loosen the nuts.

Before you lift the car, fit the wheel brace so that lifting the handle will undo the nut. Place the jack under the handle and raise. The weight of the car should help loosen the nuts. Just undo each wheel nut a quarter turn and then proceed as normal.

over a year ago

North West

"Not a clue! There’s a bunch of people I can call, including RAC. I’ve had run flats for years anyway.

I have always done this when I get a car with stupid spares... unless I was physically unable to then I'd be a bit embarrassed ringing a recovery service for a wheel/tyre change.

Plus there is the wait time x "

A lot of modern cars don't have the space available for a full size spare (or any spare). They've lightened the vehicle to improve fuel efficiency by removing the cut out from the boot floor so no spare wheel.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

A lot of modern cars don't have the space available for a full size spare (or any spare). They've lightened the vehicle to improve fuel efficiency by removing the cut out from the boot floor so no spare wheel. "

That's absolutely true so no choice but to make that call

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

A lot of modern cars don't have the space available for a full size spare (or any spare). They've lightened the vehicle to improve fuel efficiency by removing the cut out from the boot floor so no spare wheel. "

Have they substituted run flat tyres for the road wheel?

over a year ago

I’ve always had run flat tyres so never got round to learning

over a year ago

North West

A lot of modern cars don't have the space available for a full size spare (or any spare). They've lightened the vehicle to improve fuel efficiency by removing the cut out from the boot floor so no spare wheel.

Have they substituted run flat tyres for the road wheel?"

Some have run flats fitted. Some have the super skinny emergency wheel. Increasingly, many have some weird paste that's meant to plug the gap till you get to a garage, but no-one I know has managed to actually use it successfully. Many types of puncture make the paste pointless anyway!

By *picMan
over a year ago

Petworth

Done it lots of times though not many times while out along the road.

In fairness though some wheels are easier to change than others, a small car to a large 4x4, nuts which have the studs on them can be tricky to line up rather than the old style stud with separate nut, and how many dont crack the nuts off before jacking up and find out the wheel just spins, it's all common sense.

over a year ago

Nope I have run flats! Lol

over a year ago

"I will add though to anyone wanting to do it themselves consider your surroundings. As you will be amazed how stupid people can be. I have seen people try and change tyres on a busy dual carriageway with no advanced warning and a jack that only works from the side. If it’s not safe don’t do it.

This is the first consideration regardless of wether you are capable or not."

It should be, but you will be amazed how braindead people can be.

By *ong-leggedblondWoman
over a year ago

Next Door

I can and have.

The last time I needed to change a tyre, I couldn't undo the nuts.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

No. I haven't had a spare tyre for almost a decade. I don't even know where the jack points are on my car.

By *ellyWhoCouple
over a year ago

Somewhere North of Watford Gap

You mean change a wheel, changing a tyre is a different task altogether (I'm a pedant).

I frequently take the wheels off my car to wash it, so yeah, I can.

I taught all my kids too.

MrWho

Post new Message to Thread