Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Part 2 - Money saving advice for the coming 'winter'

Jump to newest

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I think people might like to continue this one. Some interesting posts may also need a reply

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The only advice I can give is to adjust your expectations of comfort.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

We'd signed up to our family holiday at Christmas, before all these price hikes. So, we'll be saving on central heating and cooking for two weeks in December, but might not actually save any money. Oh well. Christmas Day on the beach was fun last year. And we're doing the holiday in the cheapest way possible - a day in Madrid with indirect flights makes it cheaper than direct flights, even when you account for hotel rooms for 4 adults and a child. Bonkers.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We seriously considered a month in Spain in January

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Fortunate to live alone in a house that is very well insulated, past two winters I haven't put on my heating at all, hoping for a hattrick but appreciate I am very lucky.

I did make the mistake of running a large salt water fish tank for the last 2 years. Costing me about £1.20 a day at the monent. Might have to rethink when it gets colder.

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I was talking to some friends yesterday and they are going to let a room out to help them manage. I can see lots of people doing that.

By *escourtesMan
over a year ago

hereford

Just buy a sleeping bag from go outdoors or decathlon and sit in it while you watch telly in the evenings simple...

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

As someone has just made a thread about "overseas".

Pack up, turn everything off, hike yourself to a hot country for 6 months, get a bar job, come back when it's warmer.

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"As someone has just made a thread about "overseas".

Pack up, turn everything off, hike yourself to a hot country for 6 months, get a bar job, come back when it's warmer. "

You will still be paying most of your energy bills as much of it us on the daily charge unless you decide to disconnect

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Pack up, turn everything off, hike yourself to a hot country for 6 months, get a bar job, come back when it's warmer.

You will still be paying most of your energy bills as much of it us on the daily charge unless you decide to disconnect"

The standing charge isn't most of the bill, it's a fraction of the total

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Pack up, turn everything off, hike yourself to a hot country for 6 months, get a bar job, come back when it's warmer. "

That rules out eu countries then

over a year ago

You will still be paying most of your energy bills as much of it us on the daily charge unless you decide to disconnect

The standing charge isn't most of the bill, it's a fraction of the total"

I have just come back from 2 and bit weeks away, my standing charge was 22% of my daily usage when away. Average bill of £1.91 a day with just fridge freezer, fish tank and lights when neighbours popped over to feed fish.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The standing charge isn't most of the bill, it's a fraction of the total

I have just come back from 2 and bit weeks away, my standing charge was 22% of my daily usage when away. Average bill of £1.91 a day with just fridge freezer, fish tank and lights when neighbours popped over to feed fish. "

Your bill's over £60 a week?

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
over a year ago

nearby

Average household spends £141 annually by leaving appliances switched on standby

By *oody HuddsonMan
over a year ago

sexy town

I’ve been growing my own fruit n veg this year…

Hard work but had some great tasting fruit and fantastic veg so far. Planting winter veg now.

Better tasting than supermarket veg and cheaper on the pocket.

I also forage too.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I’ve been growing my own fruit n veg this year…

Hard work but had some great tasting fruit and fantastic veg so far. Planting winter veg now.

I also forage too. "

What are you planting for winter?

over a year ago

I’m just going to continue as normal, it can only last for so long right?

As long as I’ve got food, heating and a full tank of fuel then those tories can go f**k them selves with a diseased bull!

By *oody HuddsonMan
over a year ago

sexy town

"I’ve been growing my own fruit n veg this year…

I also forage too.

What are you planting for winter? "

Just potatoes at the moment but will have another think when summer crop is fully finished.

over a year ago

"I’m just going to continue as normal, it can only last for so long right?

As long as I’ve got food, heating and a full tank of fuel then those tories can go f**k them selves with a diseased bull!

"

Ah the old "fuck the tories" drivel. Because looney left wing policies from labour would save the world , have a day off.

over a year ago

I think i'm just going to have more sex.

More socials, the guy pays right? I'm very old fashioned that way.

over a year ago

Wear 2 jumpers

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Wear 2 jumpers "

Won't your legs get cold?

By *ardimanMan
over a year ago

Horsham

I've disconnected the light in the fridge...every little helps....

over a year ago

"I've disconnected the light in the fridge...every little helps...."

This made me laugh

By *orthmanMan
over a year ago

Kendal

[Removed by poster at 27/08/22 18:44:16]

By *orthmanMan
over a year ago

Kendal

"Fortunate to live alone in a house that is very well insulated, past two winters I haven't put on my heating at all, hoping for a hattrick but appreciate I am very lucky.

I did make the mistake of running a large salt water fish tank for the last 2 years. Costing me about £1.20 a day at the monent. Might have to rethink when it gets colder. "

A fair few fish dinners for you as the weather gets colder?

By *o scandalousWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Slow cookers and halogen ovens. Food prep big bundles of food and fill your freezer. Microwave the defrosted food. I’ve used my gas oven and hob maybe 5 times this month.

If you have a gym membership, go there, have a shower and dry your hair there. £20 a month in gym membership is going to be cheaper than the electric and gas for the month in having showers and drying your hair at home soon.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"I've disconnected the light in the fridge...every little helps...."
maybe you've just reversed when it turns on... And will never know ...

over a year ago

Wear more clothes, only heat all rooms a minimal levels if it gets very cold, if not that cold don't have heating on at all.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"Wear 2 jumpers

Won't your legs get cold? "

Not if they are in the sleeves of one jumper

By *o scandalousWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Clear your house out of any old clothes - sell on Vinted or take to cash for clothes, to help boost money coming in.

over a year ago

North West

"Clear your house out of any old clothes - sell on Vinted or take to cash for clothes, to help boost money coming in."

Or wear them in layers to stay warm!

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

Charge your devices at work, and get powerbanks to store the power.

Use battery powered string lights, free electric

Charge the battery at work or while driving car.

You will save a bit as won't use any lights and sockets to charge phones, tablets, laptops or other devices

over a year ago

"I think i'm just going to have more sex.

"

The guy should always pay.

It is old fashioned but those qualities should stay.

Probably weird thinking that though right?

over a year ago

"I've disconnected the light in the fridge...every little helps....maybe you've just reversed when it turns on... And will never know ... "

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

So just read this in the guardian

Using a microwave saves you the most money, slow cookers/air fryers are the second best saving you can make. Then it's things like large batch cooking and freezing, not over filling your kettle and using a lid so simmering not boiling.

Savings could potentially be around £600 if all were done across the year and appliances were energy efficient. I don't know the outlay for slow cookers/air fryers but that could affect the overall £600ish.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/27/best-ingredients-and-appliances-to-save-cash-when-cooking

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

^ don't take as red, it's early

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

"So just read this in the guardian

Using a microwave saves you the most money, slow cookers/air fryers are the second best saving you can make. Then it's things like large batch cooking and freezing, not over filling your kettle and using a lid so simmering not boiling.

Savings could potentially be around £600 if all were done across the year and appliances were energy efficient. I don't know the outlay for slow cookers/air fryers but that could affect the overall £600ish.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/27/best-ingredients-and-appliances-to-save-cash-when-cooking"

Another kettle tip is to refill it with cold water from tap or filter jug immediately after use. Then the water will be at ambient room temperature for the next boil. Reaching 100C from 20C instead of 5C is a lot of energy over a year.

over a year ago

When you find a receipt in the shopping trolley at Sainsbury's check to see if they had a nectar card if not go to customer services and get the points on your card ????

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Sleep with the jacket on

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You can save money in a lot of ways.

Don't drive if you can walk, use Aldi and Lidl if they're close enough, follow all the tips about electrical devices and not boiling too much water in the kettle, wearing extra layers, turn the thermostat down etc etc but long term constantly thinking about how much doing mundane things like making a cup of coffee is costing you or working out of its cheaper to cook your dinner in the oven or the slow cooker is soul destroying. None of what's been suggested will make a significant difference to people who were living at the edge of their income.

The current narrative from the powers that be seems to be is that it doesn't matter if the plebs are hungry and cold, they should have worked harder and they can always use food banks funded by the other plebs.

By *o scandalousWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Just received my bill for gas and electric for the month. Only £77. I must be doing something right.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Just received my bill for gas and electric for the month. Only £77. I must be doing something right. "

Excellent! How much will it be in January do you reckon?

over a year ago

Still on a fixed deal untill may so only£850 per year

By *kcplprestonMan
over a year ago

preston

We never normally close the doors in the house. This year it is going to happen. Also fitting curtains for the first time ever behind the blinds.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"I think i'm just going to have more sex.

"

Great idea

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

Use a gas cooker not electric if you don't have a microwave. Although gas is more expensive than electric but a gas cooker is more economical. Or be like me only eat once a day and I do that at work, using there microwave

By *armandwet50Couple
over a year ago

Far far away

Just spent the last month with the AC on every day, full electric apartment, stove, oven, water boiler, Microwave, kettle, lights, extraction fan, the usual. We paid £1.18 per day

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"Fortunate to live alone in a house that is very well insulated, past two winters I haven't put on my heating at all, hoping for a hattrick but appreciate I am very lucky.

I did make the mistake of running a large salt water fish tank for the last 2 years. Costing me about £1.20 a day at the monent. Might have to rethink when it gets colder. "

Eat the fish

over a year ago

"Just spent the last month with the AC on every day, full electric apartment, stove, oven, water boiler, Microwave, kettle, lights, extraction fan, the usual. We paid £1.18 per day "

That's a great money saving tip

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I just saw a graph from the Joseph Rowntree foundation, based on projected energy costs. By 2023/4, energy costs could be as high as 120% of income after housing.

We're not boot strapping our way out of this one.

By *armandwet50Couple
over a year ago

Far far away

silly me i meant to add we have packed up and moved to the EU

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I just saw a graph from the Joseph Rowntree foundation, based on projected energy costs. By 2023/4, energy costs could be as high as 120% of income after housing.

We're not boot strapping our way out of this one."

So after housing energy will cost more than the money we have left?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I just saw a graph from the Joseph Rowntree foundation, based on projected energy costs. By 2023/4, energy costs could be as high as 120% of income after housing.

So after housing energy will cost more than the money we have left?"

The best projection (by demographic) is 35%, remembering that over 10% is fuel poverty. The worst projection is 120%

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The best projection (by demographic) is 35%, remembering that over 10% is fuel poverty. The worst projection is 120%

"

And yes. 120% means that if your income after housing is £5, your bill will be £6

By *armandwet50Couple
over a year ago

Far far away

And yes. 120% means that if your income after housing is £5, your bill will be £6"

What if you have £2000 a month after house your bill will be 2400? Don't make sense to me

over a year ago

Our monthly electric usage is precisely the same all year round and we have a smart meter. The last seven months have risen to £65 from £55 a month, yet from next month Gritish Bas has put my direct debit up to £115 and are refusing to reduce it. I requested they charge for exactly what was used each month, but was informed they cannot do that in spite of them getting a daily meter reading.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

So the technical term would be we're royally fucked?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

And yes. 120% means that if your income after housing is £5, your bill will be £6"

Yeah. I get a bit with percentages expressed over 100%

over a year ago

Don't buy shit you don't need. Simples

Your welcome

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/08/22 12:35:42]

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Switch to coal, has to be way cheaper

over a year ago

The Financial system is like a snake that's eating its own tail, its not nutritious.

Yet we've managed to keep the crap game going by borrowing our away out of debt to keep the economy going, and not just us, the 'consumers' with our own 'personal' debt, but Governmental debt also, Corporation debt ect

As our disposable income dwindles it difficult to see how the debt based financial system will grow ?

If no one is spending the collapse is surely inevitable ?

Grim times ahead.

over a year ago

The only way out of this crisis is to spend and I mean the government as well as the rest of the population keep the money moving

Any government knows this

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Switch to coal, has to be way cheaper "

Especially if you don't have a fireplace

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

And yes. 120% means that if your income after housing is £5, your bill will be £6

What if you have £2000 a month after house your bill will be 2400? Don't make sense to me"

Yes, that's the prediction.

Royally fucked is probably, as said above, the technical term.

over a year ago

My money saving tips would be these (apologies if any have already been said)

Turn your heating down and use jumpers, blankets and duvets to keep warmer when you're sitting down. Even better if you have someone under the blanket with you

Get a one cup kettle because most boil a mug of water in less than 60 seconds.

When your oven is on, fill it with meals that you can portion and freeze ready to reheat in the microwave.

Check your bank statement for any expenses you no longer need.

Don't impulse buy things you don't need.

Look at what you have in your home that you no longer need or want and clothes you don't wear and sell them.

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"You can save money in a lot of ways.

Don't drive if you can walk, use Aldi and Lidl if they're close enough, follow all the tips about electrical devices and not boiling too much water in the kettle, wearing extra layers, turn the thermostat down etc etc but long term constantly thinking about how much doing mundane things like making a cup of coffee is costing you or working out of its cheaper to cook your dinner in the oven or the slow cooker is soul destroying. None of what's been suggested will make a significant difference to people who were living at the edge of their income.

The current narrative from the powers that be seems to be is that it doesn't matter if the plebs are hungry and cold, they should have worked harder and they can always use food banks funded by the other plebs."

The narrative does seem to be exactly that at the moment. Sadly there are quite a few that subscribe to it, even on here from the odd comment here and there that I have seen. It seems that dome people think that if you are struggling it's entirely your own fault. I rather be compassionate and recognise there are people less fortunate who really struggle already and before the worst that is to come and someone has to listen to them and us before it is too late for some. Here living in hope

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Wank yourselves warm!

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The current narrative from the powers that be seems to be is that it doesn't matter if the plebs are hungry and cold, they should have worked harder and they can always use food banks funded by the other plebs.

The narrative does seem to be exactly that at the moment. Sadly there are quite a few that subscribe to it, even on here from the odd comment here and there that I have seen. It seems that dome people think that if you are struggling it's entirely your own fault. I rather be compassionate and recognise there are people less fortunate who really struggle already and before the worst that is to come and someone has to listen to them and us before it is too late for some. Here living in hope "

Zahawi specifically, suggesting we use less energy, has used parliamentary expenses to fund heating his stables.

They think this is funny.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The narrative does seem to be exactly that at the moment. Sadly there are quite a few that subscribe to it, even on here from the odd comment here and there that I have seen. It seems that dome people think that if you are struggling it's entirely your own fault. I rather be compassionate and recognise there are people less fortunate who really struggle already and before the worst that is to come and someone has to listen to them and us before it is too late for some. Here living in hope

Zahawi specifically, suggesting we use less energy, has used parliamentary expenses to fund heating his stables.

They think this is funny."

We'll help is 'in the pipeline ' apparently. It's always jam tomorrow.

Meanwhile we're all buying bobble hats and waiting with outstretched hands for our benefactors. I hope we're all suitably grateful

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

We'll help is 'in the pipeline ' apparently. It's always jam tomorrow.

Meanwhile we're all buying bobble hats and waiting with outstretched hands for our benefactors. I hope we're all suitably grateful "

"Please sir, I want some more"

over a year ago

Don't use your cards to pay for things, just draw a set amount of cash each week and stick to it. You'll be surprised how much less you spend when you actually have to hand physical cash over to pay for it.

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Don't use your cards to pay for things, just draw a set amount of cash each week and stick to it. You'll be surprised how much less you spend when you actually have to hand physical cash over to pay for it. "

You are right and although it will not solve the issue every little bit helps of course. It will also help to ensure that the obsurd idea that we should do totally away with cash remains just that.

over a year ago

"Don't buy shit you don't need. Simples

Your welcome"

That ain't gonna solve it for a great many people

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Your welcome

That ain't gonna solve it for a great many people "

over a year ago

They think this is funny."

I hope to hell he is replaced as Chancellor next month.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Your welcome

That ain't gonna solve it for a great many people "

It will if they don't need food or shoes for their kids

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Your welcome

It will if they don't need food or shoes for their kids "

If housing plus electricity is over 100% of income, let's hope no one needs to eat. Or use/drink water. Or travel anywhere.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I hope to hell he is replaced as Chancellor next month. "

I fear the problem is more systemic than that.

Let the bodies pile high.

over a year ago

Your welcome

It will if they don't need food or shoes for their kids "

I'm dreading going shoe shopping this week. If I buy cheap they don't last a term.

over a year ago

Let the bodies pile high."

I know. But starting the winter with a man in charge of the economics who thinks we should all use less energy? It's bloody galling.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Let the bodies pile high.

I know. But starting the winter with a man in charge of the economics who thinks we should all use less energy? It's bloody galling. "

It is. I wish I knew what the answer was.

I can't imagine it will be pretty.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Your welcome

I'm dreading going shoe shopping this week. If I buy cheap they don't last a term. "

I'm out of touch with the cost of children's shoes. I know they weren't cheap when our kids were small

over a year ago

Your welcome

I'm dreading going shoe shopping this week. If I buy cheap they don't last a term.

I'm out of touch with the cost of children's shoes. I know they weren't cheap when our kids were small "

Clark's are £50-£60

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Your welcome

I'm out of touch with the cost of children's shoes. I know they weren't cheap when our kids were small

Clark's are £50-£60"

That's a lot!

over a year ago

Your welcome

Clark's are £50-£60

That's a lot! "

I don't spend that on my own shoes...

By *9alMan
over a year ago

Bridgend

"Switch to coal, has to be way cheaper

Especially if you don't have a fireplace "

I do have a fireplace & can get hold of waste wood, I will have to get busy with the chainsaw before winter !

over a year ago

Your welcome

Clark's are £50-£60

That's a lot!

I don't spend that on my own shoes..."

Last week school shoes, pe trainers, football boots and uniform for 2 high school kids cost me over £300. I just hope they don't have a growth spurt any time soon.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Turn down your radiators by a notch or 2, put a bit of tin foil behind them. The heat will go into the room instead of through the walls. I'm sure my parents used to so this when I was little.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

Take one grape to the till. It won't register on the low-tech, insensitive scales so you will get it for free. Repeat this procedure for the next 6 months and you have yourself a free bunch of grapes

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I read in the Observer today that it costs 4p to boil a cup of water in a kettle and 2p to boil a cup of water in a pan on the hob

over a year ago

Your welcome

Clark's are £50-£60

That's a lot!

I don't spend that on my own shoes...

Last week school shoes, pe trainers, football boots and uniform for 2 high school kids cost me over £300. I just hope they don't have a growth spurt any time soon."

I can't afford more than one pair of shoes for each atm. I'm hoping their uniform will last a bit longer - well it needs to. Shocking costs.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

You can double the lifespan of a pair of shoes simply by only wearing 1 and hoping everywhere

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"You can double the lifespan of a pair of shoes simply by only wearing 1 and hoping everywhere "

I'm not convinced. Hopping would put far more weight on one shoe so it would wear out faster than if you were walking in two shoes

over a year ago

North West

"You can double the lifespan of a pair of shoes simply by only wearing 1 and hoping everywhere "

Get a wheelchair. Your shoes get literally infinite life

over a year ago

I don't go out now. I simply don’t need clothes anymore.

over a year ago

North West

Especially if you don't have a fireplace "

Dig a hole in the floor. It worked for the Vikings

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Especially if you don't have a fireplace

Dig a hole in the floor. It worked for the Vikings "

We've genuinely considered getting a fire pit and sitting in the garden in the evenings. Will I have to wear a horned helmet.

Ps I know Vikings didn't wear them but humour me

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

Washing machines and steam irons are particularly expensive to run, avoid these laundry costs by donating your dirty shirts to Oxfam. They will wash and press them and you can then buy them back for fifty pence.

over a year ago

Buy an Oodie or a primark shuggie

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"

We've genuinely considered getting a fire pit and sitting in the garden in the evenings. "

Save money on central heating by setting fire to £10 notes in the living room

Post new Message to Thread