Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Clever scam. Be aware!

Jump to newest

By *ora the explorer OP   Woman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Last night at about half 10 I got a text from an unknown number. “Hi mum I’m on my friend’s phone, I’ve lost mine, just wanted to let you know”. My daughter was out at the time so a perfectly believable text. Next thing she walked through the door with her phone intact, wondering what I was going on about when I pointed out she’d found her phone!

She knew about the scam and some people have fell for it, transferring money to the “friend”etc for the child to get home.

Just wanted to put it out there and make people aware.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *weetiepie99Woman
over a year ago

cardiff

I've had that one too recently, my daughter was sat next to me at the time!! But yea its totally believable

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I've heard of this one too. I'm at the stage now where I question every call and message from numbers I don't recognise. It's horrible when you need to question something that appears to be from one of your children

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I've had that one too recently, my daughter was sat next to me at the time!! But yea its totally believable"

I’m usually pretty hot on things like that. It also said my friends phone doesn’t have much charge so I imagine next I was going to get the money request! I’d have picked her up though

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I've heard of this one too. I'm at the stage now where I question every call and message from numbers I don't recognise. It's horrible when you need to question something that appears to be from one of your children "

It did make me angry I must say!

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I’ve already warned my mum about this one

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I got something very similar last week. It automatically went into my spam folder though x

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I got something very similar last week. It automatically went into my spam folder though x"

Ah this just came through as normal. I imagine if it’s reported a few times it could do that x

over a year ago

They covered this scam story on the Jeromy Vine show on radio 2 a couple of weeks ago.

over a year ago

"I got something very similar last week. It automatically went into my spam folder though x

Ah this just came through as normal. I imagine if it’s reported a few times it could do that x"

The message I got was "hi mum, I'm calling from a new number, add me to your contacts and call me". I knew right away that it was suspicious x

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"They covered this scam story on the Jeromy Vine show on radio 2 a couple of weeks ago."

Ah that’s good!

over a year ago

I had that two but about my youngest son however he is a Police Officer and was on duty, I replied back saying get (wrong name) to ring me, they answered saying (wrong name) is d*unk. I said this is a scam and I am reporting this to the Police.

Must be terrifying to receive as some posters have put!

We always left £40.00 out at home for both lads incase they ran out of cash so they could get a taxi home and not worry about it

over a year ago

The scammers just need to come on this site and trawl through some of the posting topics which ask all the typical security questions you put in on your bank security questions: favourite band, where you were born, first car, where you met your partner, favourite place, etc etc..

Oh hang on... ... it is probably them posting the questions...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It's horrible but all of us need to stop and think before we respond to any call or message now

Why didn't our own child sign off with their name?

How didn't you know they were getting a new phone?

Why didn't they mention the friend's name?

Then if we're still not sure respond with questions like

Which friend or is this Billy or Bob?

What a messed up world we live in

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I had that two but about my youngest son however he is a Police Officer and was on duty, I replied back saying get (wrong name) to ring me, they answered saying (wrong name) is d*unk. I said this is a scam and I am reporting this to the Police.

We always left £40.00 out at home for both lads incase they ran out of cash so they could get a taxi home and not worry about it"

Yeah I can see how people would fall for it especially as they said there’s hardly any charge on that phone and that they were stuck somewhere and needed money!

Scumbags!

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

I would just ring the correct number before sending any money.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

[Removed by poster at 27/08/22 10:21:48]

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I would just ring the correct number before sending any money."

The child’s number? The message said they’d lost their phone.

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

"I would just ring the correct number before sending any money.

The child’s number? The message said they’d lost their phone. "

The number that you would usually ring to contact your kids. I would assume it would be in your contacts.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

When I was in primary school, my mum instituted a password after an attempted abduction in my area. "If I can't pick you up from school, don't go with anyone unless they can give you this word". I swear it's time to bring that sort of thing back

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"When I was in primary school, my mum instituted a password after an attempted abduction in my area. "If I can't pick you up from school, don't go with anyone unless they can give you this word". I swear it's time to bring that sort of thing back "

Yes my youngest’s school has that.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"When I was in primary school, my mum instituted a password after an attempted abduction in my area. "If I can't pick you up from school, don't go with anyone unless they can give you this word". I swear it's time to bring that sort of thing back "

Oh I misunderstood! She gave you a password?!

over a year ago

So your telling me she knew about the scam before someone attempted to scam you and didn't mention it

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Never responded to unfamiliar numbers regardless how believable may look, if it's something that you've never spoken about. Moment you've responded they are able to steal information via your device and see everything all your personal information.....

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

The number that you would usually ring to contact your kids. I would assume it would be in your contacts."

Well yes but the message says “I’ve lost my phone” or apparently in some cases “I’ve smashed my phone” so some may not think of doing that in the spur of the moment.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Scams work on one or all of three things fear, the desire to be loved/loneliness or greed

Parents are hard wired to help their children without questioning too closely and fear anything bad happening to them.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"So your telling me she knew about the scam before someone attempted to scam you and didn't mention it "

To be fair I’ve been away for 2 months and only just got back so she probably would have!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The number that you would usually ring to contact your kids. I would assume it would be in your contacts.

Well yes but the message says “I’ve lost my phone” or apparently in some cases “I’ve smashed my phone” so some may not think of doing that in the spur of the moment. "

Exactly! You don't automatically question your kids...but now we have to question if it really is them

By *rofessor ElementalMan
over a year ago

Durham

Set a really obscure sentence with your nearest and dearest or ask them to face time. Having a plan in place to get home safely after a night out is so important. Scammers always play to our vulnerability.

By *d4fun73Man
over a year ago

Shipley

The other scary thing is they knew you had a daughter! It emphasises the fact do not put personal details out there.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"The other scary thing is they knew you had a daughter! It emphasises the fact do not put personal details out there. "

Well it didn’t specify gender. I don’t think it’s that. They send it to anyone. A bit like the bank ones people get when they don’t bank with that bank! Some will.

over a year ago

"The other scary thing is they knew you had a daughter! It emphasises the fact do not put personal details out there. "

It doesn't work like that as I have had the same text and don't have a daughter. It's literally just a scam and they are chancing their arm.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"When I was in primary school, my mum instituted a password after an attempted abduction in my area. "If I can't pick you up from school, don't go with anyone unless they can give you this word". I swear it's time to bring that sort of thing back

Oh I misunderstood! She gave you a password?! "

Yes. There was a crime reported in the local paper

As a result my mum said, if anyone tries to take you anywhere, and they don't give you this word (it was a cartoon character, as it happens), don't go with them and raise a fuss

(There was no school monitoring of before and after school comings and goings - many kids just walked home by themselves, myself included when I was a bit older)

But if a relative texted me and said they needed money - I can see having an old school password for that. (not in my case, because if they're texting from a UK number... Lol)

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"Last night at about half 10 I got a text from an unknown number. “Hi mum I’m on my friend’s phone, I’ve lost mine, just wanted to let you know”. My daughter was out at the time so a perfectly believable text. Next thing she walked through the door with her phone intact, wondering what I was going on about when I pointed out she’d found her phone!

She knew about the scam and some people have fell for it, transferring money to the “friend”etc for the child to get home.

Just wanted to put it out there and make people aware. "

My mum got the same one. Luckily she knows I’m a cunt and never txt her

By *d4fun73Man
over a year ago

Shipley

"The other scary thing is they knew you had a daughter! It emphasises the fact do not put personal details out there.

Well it didn’t specify gender. I don’t think it’s that. They send it to anyone. A bit like the bank ones people get when they don’t bank with that bank! Some will. "

how did they know you were a mum? Maybe just generic but it might also be targeted..

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"The other scary thing is they knew you had a daughter! It emphasises the fact do not put personal details out there.

Well it didn’t specify gender. I don’t think it’s that. They send it to anyone. A bit like the bank ones people get when they don’t bank with that bank! Some will. how did they know you were a mum? Maybe just generic but it might also be targeted.. "

No. They’re chancing it!

By *d4fun73Man
over a year ago

Shipley

Well it didn’t specify gender. I don’t think it’s that. They send it to anyone. A bit like the bank ones people get when they don’t bank with that bank! Some will. how did they know you were a mum? Maybe just generic but it might also be targeted..

No. They’re chancing it!"

There's loads of scams going on trust no one you don't know!

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Well it didn’t specify gender. I don’t think it’s that. They send it to anyone. A bit like the bank ones people get when they don’t bank with that bank! Some will. how did they know you were a mum? Maybe just generic but it might also be targeted.. "

They're chancing it.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

They don’t. They send it to loads of numbers and react on the info you give.

Loads of people without kids have gotten these messages

I’m more interested in where they get the number from. I haven’t had one, but my mum and 1 of my sisters has. Where has their number been that mine hasn’t? Some kinda weird database I’d imagine

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

Wonder how they knew your number if they’d lost their phone? My daughter would message me on messenger as she wouldn’t have my number.

It’s worth setting up some sort of password in this case so only your child would know to include it in the message.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It's the same chancing as "compensation for the car accident you've been in in the last two years".

I don't drive, so that one always makes me laugh

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Wonder how they knew your number if they’d lost their phone? My daughter would message me on messenger as she wouldn’t have my number.

It’s worth setting up some sort of password in this case so only your child would know to include it in the message. "

It wasn’t my daughter. It was a scam x

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Well it didn’t specify gender. I don’t think it’s that. They send it to anyone. A bit like the bank ones people get when they don’t bank with that bank! Some will. how did they know you were a mum? Maybe just generic but it might also be targeted..

No. They’re chancing it!"

All scammers are chancers you're right

"Ma'am how are you today?"

As soon as I hear those words I disconnect the call. I know they're going to tell me my internet is slow and I need to upload software, it's Microsoft and I need to upload software or I've had an accident that wasn't my fault. However not everyone does know that and a lot of people fall for it because they're afraid their computer has something wrong with it or they hope they'll get some money for nothing.

Recently I've been approached twice in Facebook by a very handsome army officer in the US and an eminent US surgeon who want to be my friend because I'm very pretty . Of course I'm now in correspondence and helping them with money until their funds come through, they love me you see.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

No. They’re chancing it!

As soon as I hear those words I disconnect the call. I know they're going to tell me my internet is slow and I need to upload software, it's Microsoft and I need to upload software or I've had an accident that wasn't my fault. However not everyone does know that and a lot of people fall for it because they're afraid their computer has something wrong with it or they hope they'll get some money for nothing.

Recently I've been approached twice in Facebook by a very handsome army officer in the US and an eminent US surgeon who want to be my friend because I'm very pretty . Of course I'm now in correspondence and helping them with money until their funds come through, they love me you see. "

. I often give my bank details to help all these far away people store their money. Not had any yet

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Wonder how they knew your number if they’d lost their phone? My daughter would message me on messenger as she wouldn’t have my number.

It’s worth setting up some sort of password in this case so only your child would know to include it in the message.

It wasn’t my daughter. It was a scam x"

Yes - but that's what I meant by my password comment as well. If "Scooby Doo" doesn't come in a message, then tell them to pound sand

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

It wasn’t my daughter. It was a scam x

Yes - but that's what I meant by my password comment as well. If "Scooby Doo" doesn't come in a message, then tell them to pound sand "

By *avexxMan
over a year ago

cheshire

thank you for your warning..

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

No. They’re chancing it!

Recently I've been approached twice in Facebook by a very handsome army officer in the US and an eminent US surgeon who want to be my friend because I'm very pretty . Of course I'm now in correspondence and helping them with money until their funds come through, they love me you see. "

I've had lots of those men contact me. The new ones are US Marine divers and surgeons.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

No. They’re chancing it!

Recently I've been approached twice in Facebook by a very handsome army officer in the US and an eminent US surgeon who want to be my friend because I'm very pretty . Of course I'm now in correspondence and helping them with money until their funds come through, they love me you see.

I've had lots of those men contact me. The new ones are US Marine divers and surgeons.

"

My FB is locked down so nobody can contact me however I made the mistake of commenting on a the page of a museum I'd visited with a picture of me (looking very pretty according to them both ). The awful thing is I reported both to Facebook who told me they were legitimate. Of course they were all US surgeons have profiles based in Nigeria

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

You also get the one's offering money saying that they are trying to help out at difficult times and ask for personal information so they can transfer the money which will be a another bogus app too transfer the money into and request your information

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

For those in Scotland who recievw this text scam...

Tell them to join fab,seek a meet arranging to meet at Glasgow railway station, get the meet to take you to a hotel....ask for £50 as their share of a room and to wait in the car whilst you go in and book room.

Enter hotel, exit by side door with £50 to get yourself home

over a year ago

If they asked for money I already have my daughters bank account set up for transfer on my account. Or I’d just say I’d come and pick her up

By *jleedsCouple
over a year ago

leeds

It was on radio 2 the other week about this its the new scam do be carefull

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"If they asked for money I already have my daughters bank account set up for transfer on my account. Or I’d just say I’d come and pick her up"

I do too but it’s not much good if they’ve lost their phone. I don’t use my phone to pay for stuff but she does and I think a lot of people do these days.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

One of the most dangerous attitudes to have towards scams is believing you could never be scammed.

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

"One of the most dangerous attitudes to have towards scams is believing you could never be scammed. "

100%. It can happen to anyone, no matter how savvy you think you are

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"One of the most dangerous attitudes to have towards scams is believing you could never be scammed. "

Exactly. I posted this more for people to be aware as it’s obviously worked on some. Not for everyone to say well I wouldn’t do this, I wouldn’t do that. I don’t think anyone can say what they would do in certain situations x

over a year ago

I’ve had that one too, but I managed to avoid sending any money as I don’t have any kids

By *RANDMRSJAECouple
over a year ago

chester

I’ve not heard this one! I’ll pass it on to my friends with kids though!

I’d be even more suspicious seeing as she never texts

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

So is it better to ignore or go along with some time-wasting with these scams? What do people think?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"One of the most dangerous attitudes to have towards scams is believing you could never be scammed.

Exactly. I posted this more for people to be aware as it’s obviously worked on some. Not for everyone to say well I wouldn’t do this, I wouldn’t do that. I don’t think anyone can say what they would do in certain situations x"

Nope.

I've mentioned this before. My mum was scammed twice by the same scam. She also 'voluntarily' signed up for various subscriptions to things that she really didn't need because she was too proud to admit she was deaf and couldn't hear properly so just said yes and was making early dementia. Scammers are aware of vulnerabilities, identify them and exploit them.

over a year ago

"So is it better to ignore or go along with some time-wasting with these scams? What do people think?"

Never Engage even if you think it will be fun to waste their time because you will then go on a sucker's list and get a lot more scams.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"So is it better to ignore or go along with some time-wasting with these scams? What do people think?"

Ignore. Time wasting isn't achieving much in the wider picture

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"One of the most dangerous attitudes to have towards scams is believing you could never be scammed.

Exactly. I posted this more for people to be aware as it’s obviously worked on some. Not for everyone to say well I wouldn’t do this, I wouldn’t do that. I don’t think anyone can say what they would do in certain situations x

Nope.

I've mentioned this before. My mum was scammed twice by the same scam. She also 'voluntarily' signed up for various subscriptions to things that she really didn't need because she was too proud to admit she was deaf and couldn't hear properly so just said yes and was making early dementia. Scammers are aware of vulnerabilities, identify them and exploit them."

*Masking not making

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Nope.

I've mentioned this before. My mum was scammed twice by the same scam. She also 'voluntarily' signed up for various subscriptions to things that she really didn't need because she was too proud to admit she was deaf and couldn't hear properly so just said yes and was making early dementia. Scammers are aware of vulnerabilities, identify them and exploit them."

I know people who I would never have thought in a million years would fall for a scam but they have. I think that about myself too!

over a year ago

"I had that two but about my youngest son however he is a Police Officer and was on duty, I replied back saying get (wrong name) to ring me, they answered saying (wrong name) is d*unk. I said this is a scam and I am reporting this to the Police.

We always left £40.00 out at home for both lads incase they ran out of cash so they could get a taxi home and not worry about it"

Always give false details. If the person is really who they say they are, they will question the information.

If a child or relative texts asking for money, ask them what your/ their nickname is. Or info only they will know.

over a year ago

"So is it better to ignore or go along with some time-wasting with these scams? What do people think?

Never Engage even if you think it will be fun to waste their time because you will then go on a sucker's list and get a lot more scams. "

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

This particular scam on WhatsApp seems to have grown more during the pandemic when people were seeing each less often.

There's also a missed call scam that leads you to a premium number.

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

This has been around for years. When my daughter was a teen and hanging out with friends of an evening we had a pre-arranged “code” that she would inc to prove it was her in such a circumstance and a slightly different one if she needed extricating from a situation (that wasn’t “help come get me” but seemingly innocuous to anyone with less than good intentions reading it)

I would recommend doing this with teen/early adult children, my daughter didn’t have to use these very often but she was glad she had them available when she did

Post new Message to Thread