Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Electricians advice needed

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Calling all sparkies.

I'm just looking for some help/advice. Can a single plug socket be installed which goes off a fused switch for a boiler?

Where the unvented cylinder is in the airing cupboard there's fused switch which when turned off turns the hot water programmer off (so I'm assuming it turns the whole central heating system too). I wanted to see if it's possible and safe to add a single socket off this fused switch so I can store and charge my cordless vacuum?

Thanks in advance you fab lot

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ild_oatsMan
over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

Firstly make sure that you have one length of cable that is not long enough to reach the place where you want to place the socket.

Then connect the cable using an orange garden 2pin connector to a length of orange garden cable to make up the difference in length.

Then make sure you run it diagonally across the wall and for good measure plaster it in to the wall… and paint over it with gloss paint…

Job done……

By *entBarryUKMan
over a year ago

Ashford

And now we know who to ask for sparky questions

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I’m not a sparky (or a lawyer) but it will be absolutely fine if you get yourself of CATU MV-137 Insulating Boots

over a year ago

Thanks for being so helpful guys

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Calling all sparkies.

I'm just looking for some help/advice. Can a single plug socket be installed which goes off a fused switch for a boiler?

Where the unvented cylinder is in the airing cupboard there's fused switch which when turned off turns the hot water programmer off (so I'm assuming it turns the whole central heating system too). I wanted to see if it's possible and safe to add a single socket off this fused switch so I can store and charge my cordless vacuum?

Thanks in advance you fab lot "

I’m not a sparkey either, but wouldn’t it be better if you could spur off before the fused switch so that you can turn your boiler off without affecting your charger?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Awaiting OP’s A&E injury case

By *hirleyMan
over a year ago

somewhere

Surely use the electricians forums for this

over a year ago

I wouldn't mess around with it to be honest, get someone out who knows what they are doing.

There's a potential for fire and your insurance won't pay out if it's caused by DIY electrical alterations.

By *hirleyMan
over a year ago

somewhere

To answer your question, no not really you need a new radial circuit. Without knowing cable sizes/demand on that original circuit I doubt anyone can answer that confidently

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Calling all sparkies.

Are you sure the fused switch is for the programmer / boiler or is it an immersion heater? Usually in a separate circuit from your main fuse box.

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

"Calling all sparkies.

I’m not a sparkey either, but wouldn’t it be better if you could spur off before the fused switch so that you can turn your boiler off without affecting your charger?"

If it was fed off the live side of fused spur it wouldn't be affected by the fused spur being turned off.

But that's not the best way to do it anyway.

Winston

By *lecom1Couple
over a year ago

Stornoway

Just do it and see what happens.

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

If this is the immersion heater, you can't tack on a 13A socket outlet. The switch box may not contain the neutral line for a start, nor will the RCD protection be correct.

over a year ago

Just turn it off then on again . Oh wait it needs to be wired in

over a year ago

"Just turn it off then on again . Oh wait it needs to be wired in "

So helpful, thank you

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Calling all sparkies.

It wouldn't be recommended, but if there is a fused spur then the circuit "should" have been designed so that the fuse would blow way before the limits of the cables are reached. So any load attached to the circuit "should" be safe due to the protection offered by the fuse.

Obviously, that would all depend on the original installation having been done properly. To be properly sure, you would need to know the gauge of cable used and the route of the cable.

Cal

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

I am a sparky- although not a domestic one, so i don't currently have access to a regs book to check the technicals and finer points and can't recall the specific rules but...

assuming the spur for your heating system is wired off the ring main (i've seen all sorts of nopes! in various houses i've owned, so big assumption ), you could add a socket as the circuit is probably running timer/pump/boiler power- which shouldn't add up to too much current. Your spur can be rated up to 13 amps (fuse dependant) and your hoover charger is going to pull the best part of bugger all, few amps tops at a guess...so it should be feasible.

You are however adding a new circuit, so if i remember correctly, this should be installed and tested by a 'competent person' for legal and insurance reasons.

Fairly sure a domestic sparks will be along shortly to correct some of the above- so glad i don't have to fanny around with house wiring every day

By *uke OzadeMan
over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

"Calling all sparkies.

Yes you can. You’ll need to isolate and wire from the live side to a second spur fused down to 3A then wire from the load side into your socket outlet. Job done.

over a year ago

"Calling all sparkies.

Yes you can. You’ll need to isolate and wire from the live side to a second spur fused down to 3A then wire from the load side into your socket outlet. Job done. "

Tosspot

By *uke OzadeMan
over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

"Calling all sparkies.

Yes you can. You’ll need to isolate and wire from the live side to a second spur fused down to 3A then wire from the load side into your socket outlet. Job done.

Tosspot "

You sir, are a wrinkly ballsack

over a year ago

"Calling all sparkies.

Tosspot

You sir, are a wrinkly ballsack "

Yes sir I can boogie

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Calling all sparkies.

In the above case no

If you had run a spur from the sockets ringmain to a new plug then yes

Post new Message to Thread