Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Pavement kerbs

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Pavement kerbs should be 45° rather than 90°. This would reduce damage to tyres and wheels also it would be easier for wheelchair users.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Good idea

By *anBerksMan
over a year ago

Berkshire

Aren’t they designed the way they are to prevent vehicles straying off the road and onto pedestrian areas, ie the 90 degree angle is a deliberate design safety feature?

By *orthmanMan
over a year ago

Kendal

And you could make twice as many from the same piece of stone.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I'm trying to decide how this would affect visually impaired people. So long as there are dropped kerbs in suitable places, I don't know if this would help when the biggest obstacle for me as a wheelchair user is the actual pavement surface. Usually uneven, potholed, broken slabs, tree roots pushing up the surface, muddy puddles of yucky water, dog pop etc etc that make it horrendous to push along.

over a year ago

"I'm trying to decide how this would affect visually impaired people. So long as there are dropped kerbs in suitable places, I don't know if this would help when the biggest obstacle for me as a wheelchair user is the actual pavement surface. Usually uneven, potholed, broken slabs, tree roots pushing up the surface, muddy puddles of yucky water, dog pop etc etc that make it horrendous to push along."

Some other countries paint the them bright yellow, its something we need, especially with our dark gloomy winters.

over a year ago

"And you could make twice as many from the same piece of stone."

what's not to like

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Just imagine the air you could get on a bike, using it as a ramp

By *eisty LadyWoman
over a year ago

Count Your Blessings Cottage, Gratitude Grove

"Aren’t they designed the way they are to prevent vehicles straying off the road and onto pedestrian areas, ie the 90 degree angle is a deliberate design safety feature? "

If men learned to drive properly and spent less time on their phones or ogling at women when they’re driving they probably wouldn’t need to worry about hitting kerbs!

over a year ago

"Aren’t they designed the way they are to prevent vehicles straying off the road and onto pedestrian areas, ie the 90 degree angle is a deliberate design safety feature?

If men learned to drive properly and spent less time on their phones or ogling at women when they’re driving they probably wouldn’t need to worry about hitting kerbs!

"

Are you saying only men hit kerbs, any data..

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Aren’t they designed the way they are to prevent vehicles straying off the road and onto pedestrian areas, ie the 90 degree angle is a deliberate design safety feature?

Are you saying only men hit kerbs, any data.."

My personal data would blow their theory out of the water

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

But how could we play Kerbie

By *ister CMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Pavement kerbs should be 45° rather than 90°. This would reduce damage to tyres and wheels also it would be easier for wheelchair users."

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Could you please also consider the height of some pavements, especially in car parks as well as ensure all pavements are flat and well maintained and accessible for those people on wheel chairs or those with prams. Thank you.

over a year ago

North West

"Pavement kerbs should be 45° rather than 90°. This would reduce damage to tyres and wheels also it would be easier for wheelchair users.

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple. "

Have you tried ascending a kerb in a manual wheelchair? Come back and discuss when you have.

By *angzMan
over a year ago

Manchester, London & sometimes Newcastle

"Pavement kerbs should be 45° rather than 90°. This would reduce damage to tyres and wheels also it would be easier for wheelchair users.

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple.

Have you tried ascending a kerb in a manual wheelchair? Come back and discuss when you have. "

Aren't there lowered points for wheelchair and pram users to use?

over a year ago

North West

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple.

Have you tried ascending a kerb in a manual wheelchair? Come back and discuss when you have.

Aren't there lowered points for wheelchair and pram users to use?"

Not everywhere, no. And often where there are dropped kerbs, they are not flush to the ground, are broken or require you to push into the road to use them. Honestly, try a day in a manual wheelchair and report back.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple.

Not everywhere, no. And often where there are dropped kerbs, they are not flush to the ground, are broken or require you to push into the road to use them. Honestly, try a day in a manual wheelchair and report back. "

And often blocked by cars. Or you have to travel further up the road than where you want to cross.

By *eneralKenobiMan
over a year ago

North Angus

I’m all for this, it means I get little jumps to go over any time I’m out on the bike

over a year ago

North West

[Removed by poster at 26/08/22 14:05:11]

over a year ago

North West

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple.

Not everywhere, no. And often where there are dropped kerbs, they are not flush to the ground, are broken or require you to push into the road to use them. Honestly, try a day in a manual wheelchair and report back.

And often blocked by cars. Or you have to travel further up the road than where you want to cross. "

Yup. Wheelchair life

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Do you often crash into them OP?

over a year ago

"Do you often crash into them OP?"

Nope, but my friend runs a business that does alloy wheel repairs, makes a fortune.

over a year ago

"Do you often crash into them OP?

Nope, but my friend runs a business that does alloy wheel repairs, makes a fortune."

Has he pissed you off?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/08/22 14:46:50]

over a year ago

Nope, but my friend runs a business that does alloy wheel repairs, makes a fortune."

What kind of friend are you to suggest a change that'll reduce your friends income?

over a year ago

"Pavement kerbs should be 45° rather than 90°. This would reduce damage to tyres and wheels also it would be easier for wheelchair users."

90' is a safety design to deflect cars back into the road to protect pedestrian.

These are 10 to 12 '

Splay kerbs are 45' and designed to allow tyres to run over the top rather than deflect more likely into crash barriers and on motorways where its safer to guide into a barrier than back into the motorway traffic.

Better by design

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple.

Have you tried ascending a kerb in a manual wheelchair? Come back and discuss when you have. "

You need to up your wheelchair skills to bmx level like that guy on nitro circus! Then you can do spins and wheelies as well as airtime up n down kerbs..

over a year ago

Nope, but my friend runs a business that does alloy wheel repairs, makes a fortune.

Has he pissed you off? "

Yes, always last to buy the round

over a year ago

North West

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple.

You need to up your wheelchair skills to bmx level like that guy on nitro circus! Then you can do spins and wheelies as well as airtime up n down kerbs.. "

I can get up but not down most kerbs because I have excellent upper body strength. But most wheelchair users aren't as lucky, like my mate with upper and lower limb impairment.

I'd like to try the wheelchair BMX type stuff one day, there's a skatepark near us that does it.

By *ister CMan
over a year ago

liverpool

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple.

Yes I have. Both pushed people and been in one.

I also happen to do a job that requires explict understanding of these very things as part of my day to day.

Whilst I do appreciate the emotive virtuousity of your post, the points I raised against the OP still stand...

Trust you will advise when I am able to 'come back'...?

over a year ago

North West

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple.

I also happen to do a job that requires explict understanding of these very things as part of my day to day.

Whilst I do appreciate the emotive virtuousity of your post, the points I raised against the OP still stand...

Trust you will advise when I am able to 'come back'...?"

Indeed. If your personal mobility relied on being able to navigate the pavements of the UK by manual wheelchair, I can guarantee you'd have a very different perspective, so I'm going to take my massive pinch of salt and leave it there.

By *ister CMan
over a year ago

liverpool

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple.

Indeed. If your personal mobility relied on being able to navigate the pavements of the UK by manual wheelchair, I can guarantee you'd have a very different perspective, so I'm going to take my massive pinch of salt and leave it there.

"

But you're conflating my response (again) and talking about pavements... maybe dehydrated from salt?

Am simply advising that kerbs changing from 90 to 45 on the basis of 'wheelchairs' is nonsensical.

They are histocially a hang over from cambered roads vut their principle of providing an essential separating function between the footpath and vehicular movements as well as other functions termination of wear course, drainage etc etc is still valid.

A 45 degree kerb does not assist wc users as its not a negotiable angle for a user or assisted user. 45degrees is incredibly steep.

They need appropriate drop kerb locations and associated blister systems which will assist the wider diabled community. We just need a lot more of that.

over a year ago

No they shouldn't.

Learn to park.

No they wouldn't.

Simple.

But you're conflating my response (again) and talking about pavements... maybe dehydrated from salt?

Am simply advising that kerbs changing from 90 to 45 on the basis of 'wheelchairs' is nonsensical.

They are histocially a hang over from cambered roads vut their principle of providing an essential separating function between the footpath and vehicular movements as well as other functions termination of wear course, drainage etc etc is still valid.

A 45 degree kerb does not assist wc users as its not a negotiable angle for a user or assisted user. 45degrees is incredibly steep.

They need appropriate drop kerb locations and associated blister systems which will assist the wider diabled community. We just need a lot more of that. "

Nowadays its the motorist that requires protection from the pedestrian. Most just wandering out and think their safety is the motorists responsibility and they have no need to take precautions.

over a year ago

North West

I don't actually think changing the angle of the kerb would make any difference to the average wheelchair user. Properly maintained kerbs with appropriate, FLUSH dropped kerbs that dickheads don't park on, is the answer. The tactile pavement (bobbly bits) for visually impaired people is a total nightmare for the wheelchair user and I personally have to say a few hail Marys every time I go over them, because I feel bad for wanting something removed, that benefits my partially sighted friends. However, tactile surface will slow down a coasting wheelchair from 6-8mph to 0mph immediately, which is obviously an issue for tipping out.

Broken, uneven, dirty, heavily cambered, street furniture ridden pavements are the bane of my life and I'm just off to navigate the broken tiles of the one outside my workplace. Hopefully I shall not KO outside the car park, as I have done before when a new little bijou pothole had emerged

over a year ago

One thing that pissed me off when pushing a wheelchair, was the way the ridges run on the pedestrian dropped kerbs, so you have to bump over them...it would be more helpful if they ran the same way as the ridges in cycle lane...

over a year ago

"One thing that pissed me off when pushing a wheelchair, was the way the ridges run on the pedestrian dropped kerbs, so you have to bump over them...it would be more helpful if they ran the same way as the ridges in cycle lane...

"

I think it’s for health & Safety reasons , not slippery in winter ( ice) when approaching the road ?

over a year ago

North West

"One thing that pissed me off when pushing a wheelchair, was the way the ridges run on the pedestrian dropped kerbs, so you have to bump over them...it would be more helpful if they ran the same way as the ridges in cycle lane...

"

They're designed like that to act as a tactile surface for visually impaired people (see my comment above). It means when a white stick or other aid is passed over that area, the user can detect the bumps with a side to side motion and be aware of a dropped kerb.

I understand why it's like it is but it does make it very hard, uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous for wheelchairs unfortunately.

over a year ago

They should be made of blancmange,so when you get pissed and fall over it’s a delight

Post new Message to Thread