Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Happy GCSE day!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My eldest gets his GCSE results today, I’m nervous for him. I’m sure he’ll get what he aimed for, but can’t help getting all bothered invade he doesn’t.

I didn’t do aswell as I was expected to do in school, and I really did do my best I could, I am just not very good when I sit in an exam environment.

How did you guys do? Did you do better, or worse? Do you think that exams are getting easier?

There’s a test at the end and pay attention!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *RANDMRSJAECouple
over a year ago

chester

I spent all my revision time doing everything but revision

I was a bright student but lazy! Could have done so much better maths was my best subject.

Fingers crossed for Woody junior x

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Christ that was 22 years ago

I did well. Though I was disappointed to only get a B in maths. I wanted to do better than my siblings, and they'd both gotten B's as well

I've no idea if things are getting easier, my kids are still in junior school

Hope your mini-me is successful and content with the results

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Aw good luck to him! It is nervewracking to say the least and whatever happens he has options, always options and options lot to think about regardless.

Mine were crap and I didn't care, wish I could go back and try harder. And no it didn't stop me achieving but it did hinder the process

By *mooth Operator 07Man
over a year ago

in the deep mist of the valleys

Good luck and fingers x for your son. I'm feeling a tad nervous as my daughter will be getting her gcse results today as well.

over a year ago

Good luck to your son.

I did OK in my GCSE's and actually better than I expected.

I don't think they are getting easier because I know that kids do previous year's exam papers to practice. My experience is that a lot of the children doing these practice exams find them easier than the one they take as their main exam. What I am worried about this year is grade deflation.

over a year ago

Good luck, little Woody!

I got straight As and now I'm stuck in a job in don't care for and life is pretty empty.

Follow your dreams!

over a year ago

"Good luck and fingers x for your son. I'm feeling a tad nervous as my daughter will be getting her gcse results today as well."

I wasn’t bothered until this morning. I’ve got confidence in him and I watched him how he managed it all. It’s just the online learning, did it hinder him etc… I woke and thought of him immediately.

They’re still out little babies we want the best for, but this was something I couldn’t do for him, this is all his achievement.

*fingers crossed for yours too.

over a year ago

"….

Mine were crap and I didn't care, wish I could go back and try harder. And no it didn't stop me achieving but it did hinder the process "

I hear you, I wish I’d done better, I’m pretty sure I tried as hard as I could. Just not smart enough at the time.

*I blame the teachers!

over a year ago

Hoping my lad did as well as he thinks he did

By *atfuckerbristolMan
over a year ago

Wells

I did reasonably well - then immediately wished I’d actually done some work because I might have done amazingly.

I hope people’s offspring get what they want today. But remember that GCSEs aren’t everything, and as one of my teachers said many years ago to a snooty kid in our class who was being mean to someone about results: “he can retake an exam anytime, but you can’t stop being a congenital knobhead”

over a year ago

"I did reasonably well - then immediately wished I’d actually done some work because I might have done amazingly.

I hope people’s offspring get what they want today. But remember that GCSEs aren’t everything, and as one of my teachers said many years ago to a snooty kid in our class who was being mean to someone about results: “he can retake an exam anytime, but you can’t stop being a congenital knobhead”"

You know I read your name as BigBrain…

over a year ago

"Hoping my lad did as well as he thinks he did "

Good luck to him.

over a year ago

All the best to your boy, pal! And everyone else’s

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

Good luck to him!

I did very well in my GCSEs, I went on to college and university, 2 degrees. My brother who got no GCSEs earns far more than me and looking to retire at 50. GCSEs aren’t the be all and end all

over a year ago

"Good luck to him!

I did very well in my GCSEs, I went on to college and university, 2 degrees. My brother who got no GCSEs earns far more than me and looking to retire at 50. GCSEs aren’t the be all and end all"

That’s a good thing for a kid to remember (they won’t at the time).

It doesn’t dictate there future, their attitude and drive will make them successful or not.

I’ve been okay in life and work, I’ve also been on my ass, same GCSE results.

over a year ago

My son is in year 10 and is having his maths GCSE result today, they sat it a year early to get one major exam out of the way before next year's full exam timetable. It will be used more as a baseline for my son, and with a maths tutor we will help him to hopefully achieve a better grade next year.

Good luck you everyone today

NBVN x

over a year ago

Just adding my good luck wishes to all those parents with kids receiving results today, must be so nerve wracking

over a year ago

Fingers crossed all the young folk get the results they need for their next step in life.

over a year ago

"Fingers crossed all the young folk get the results they need for their next step in life. "

My son just got his required grades, and aced some of them way more than needed. Proud parents day

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Fingers crossed all the young folk get the results they need for their next step in life.

My son just got his required grades, and aced some of them way more than needed. Proud parents day"

Congratulations and well done to him. I hope you are feeling generous

over a year ago

I’m proud of my one… let’s put it this way - he did a heck of a lot better than I did!

By *entBarryUKMan
over a year ago

Ashford

I got 14 and they haven't been much use to me. College was much better than school.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I was the first year to sit gcse's, done ok but could of done so much better.

My daughter is on her way back from school, not happy as she didnt get what she needed to do her chosen A levels. The rest of this day will not be a good one

Too much pressure on kids these days.

over a year ago

"I was the first year to sit gcse's, done ok but could of done so much better.

My daughter is on her way back from school, not happy as she didnt get what she needed to do her chosen A levels. The rest of this day will not be a good one

Too much pressure on kids these days."

There are always options, hopefully by the end of the day things will have settled down and not so emotional. Good luck

By *lderflowerappleWoman
over a year ago

North Hampshire

Good luck to your lad OP, and to all others who are nervously awaiting results.

I'm old enough to have done O'Levels, so all exam based and no coursework at all involved in gradings. I did well, but I was a nerd at school and spent soooooo much time with my head in a book and studying even when I didn't really need to.

My sister, who is a couple of years younger than me did the first GCSEs (I think, or maybe their pre-cursor), and did well in her grades because of the coursework inclusion - she would not have coped with purely being graded on exams.

So overall I think the current system seems to be fairer, but I don't have any kids so can't judge what it's like for them these days.

However my impression seems to be that there is far too much pressure on kids to process their knowledge in subjects that just have no real impact in how they'll function as adults and wholesome individuals that participate and contribute to society as a whole. I also think that 15/16 is waaaaaay to early to put such pressure on tender minds. I know that's a generalisation as some mature earlier than others, but at the end of the day mass education can only ever cater for the majority. But I question whether the focus is right these days.

over a year ago

So your telling me hubby and kids are out the house this morning! FAF?

over a year ago

I am one very very proud dad. He did good sounds like a face book boast I know, but I’m just more relieved for him more than anything.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Thanks?

I'm bit old for GCSE's, but I appreciate the sentiment

By *eatrice BadinageWoman
over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

" I am one very very proud dad. He did good sounds like a face book boast I know, but I’m just more relieved for him more than anything.

"

over a year ago

"I was the first year to sit gcse's, done ok but could of done so much better.

Too much pressure on kids these days."

There’s lots of pressure for a 16yr old, there’s so much emphasis on these results. But it really does only show what they did in exams and that’s about it.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman
over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

I did a top up Maths, Science and English btec at college to boost my gcse grades

over a year ago

Anyway. I’m off to work delivering parcels to customers doorsteps (long story) with my Distinction in Btech performing arts from when I left schoo

True story.

By *oiluvfunMan
over a year ago

Penrith

"Anyway. I’m off to work delivering parcels to customers doorsteps (long story) with my Distinction in Btech performing arts from when I left schoo

True story. "

They’ll be some of the most artistic and dramatic drop-offs ever seen I imagine

By *oiluvfunMan
over a year ago

Penrith

My eldest hasn’t quite got the results he needed to get in to sixth form, so we have an appointment to fight for a place later…..

over a year ago

Fucking hell that was stressful

Despite her thinking she’d done rubbish my daughter smashed it all 6’s and 7’s so am seriously proud

Now watch work fuck my mood up

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I think that the curriculum is too narrow these days and too much focus on exams rather than developing knowledge and understanding of a wider range of topics as something like the baccalaureate does. It exposes learners to lots of different subjects including art, music, languages as well as the more practical subjects. I appreciate some might say these don't get you jobs but should not be disregarded as help to make a much more rounded person.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"My eldest hasn’t quite got the results he needed to get in to sixth form, so we have an appointment to fight for a place later….."

Good luck. My daughter can go but can't do the science subjects she wanted to. Not the end of the world but we know if she'd of pulled her finger out she would of done a lot better!

over a year ago

"My eldest hasn’t quite got the results he needed to get in to sixth form, so we have an appointment to fight for a place later…..

Good luck. My daughter can go but can't do the science subjects she wanted to. Not the end of the world but we know if she'd of pulled her finger out she would of done a lot better!"

Wouldn't we all..?

Post new Message to Thread