Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Film franchises

Jump to newest

By *hirley OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

Are there any that you feel have been completely spoilt by lacklustre, unimaginative sequels and a general disregard for continuity in the initial storytelling of a series.

I guess I know exactly why directors and producers change it up during the course of several films, as they bid to bring tried and tested concepts to new younger fans to invest in their imagination. I also understand that moneymaking is at the forefront of any of these creative possessions, whether or not it's intended origin was for it to be purely based on something that just sells... but it often is at the expense of story integrity and pioneered identity.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Star Wars; The original trilogy are fantastic.

The prequels varied from about passable to shite and the newest three…..well, best not even go there

By *tylebender03Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Stars Wars. I love the originals but there’s more bad movies than good ones at this point. Terminator, first two are classics then it went down hill. The recent ones have been unwatchable

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

The MCU. Should've ended it with End Game but money...

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Predator: The first, a classic.

The second: Fun

Predators: Watchable but not exactly very good.

Alien vs Predator 1 & 2: Crap. I mean, really crap.

The Predator: Absolutely insulting and risible crap presumably written by a five year old (it’s only saving grace was Sterling K Brown’s performance as the villain)

Prey: I actually rather enjoyed this one strangely enough

By *hirley OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

For instance take the alien films, the first two really set the tone for what kind of universe the characters live in and the daunting possibility of the human race coming into contact with a lethal species, who are not only almost impossible to kill, but hard to deal with, without suffering significant collateral damage through scorched earth tactics. Also not everyone is an experienced military vet with extensive training. Oh and good luck killing something encased in a silicon based exoskeleton unless armed with that futuristic explosive tipped caseless ammunition...

The thorough thought processes in the first two films designed to make the audience feel helpless in any encounter are examples of the very good script writing from very creative minds. These have all but been rendered pointless by subsequent attempts at retelling stories, mostly through the failed crossover with predator springs to mind, but even scotts recent reboots haven't made any serious attempts to feel like they belong in that first feeling of despair created in the 80s

By *llaandGCouple
over a year ago

London

The Matrix!

What the fuck happened with that?

G

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

The Matrix: Brilliant and original.

Reloaded: Great fight sequences but ultimately not as good as the first film.

Revolutions: Very poor.

Resurrection: What in the name of Zeus’s bollocks is this shit?!!

By *hirley OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

Star wars, now I can completely get behind the prequel trilogy and it's only after watching several times and understanding character portrayals that lucas was actually quite clever in many aspects of them and they're good prequels and films in their own right.

But some of the later Disney productions fail my inner star wars nerd so tragically I've become less trusting of discovering new franchises as a result.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I hate to say it, but John Wick.

The original was superb and was never intended to spawn sequels.

The subsequent cash grabbing sequels, whilst certainly competently made, seem nonetheless to be nothing more than a series of very empty feeling (but admittedly well choreographed) fist fights, gun fights and explosions (Plot?!)

Added to this, one’s suspension of disbelief is really forced to breaking point (the building fall at the end of part 3 anyone?!)

By *etwifeandhim69Couple
over a year ago

Darlington

Star Trek. JJ Abrams should never have been allowed near the franchise (same as with Star Wars).

Whilst Trek always had its "some" continuity issues, the movies where nothing more than an extension of the show. A big budget version of the show if you will. Same universe, same characters, same x, y or z.

But no, that hack JJ had to come along and completely retcon everything. Forget about the stories and universe that came before it (warts and all). He just straight up retconned it.

And then it got resconned right back as to being nothing more than a "alternate universe".

Unfortunetly his Bad Robot company is still misfiring for a lot of Teek fans with Discovery and Picard because they can't respect the lore or the nature of what Trek is but weirdly Seth MacFarlane can with his show The Orville.

As such I highly doubt we will see any more Trek.movies for a long time but at least the show runners fi ally seemed to listen to.the fans.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Bill and Ted first one excellent other shite

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

The Conjuring: Nice and creepy original but the related sequels are clearly nothing but cynical cash grabbing excuses.

By *hirley OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

"Star Trek. JJ Abrams should never have been allowed near the franchise (same as with Star Wars).

Whilst Trek always had its "some" continuity issues, the movies where nothing more than an extension of the show. A big budget version of the show if you will. Same universe, same characters, same x, y or z.

But no, that hack JJ had to come along and completely retcon everything. Forget about the stories and universe that came before it (warts and all). He just straight up retconned it.

And then it got resconned right back as to being nothing more than a "alternate universe".

Unfortunetly his Bad Robot company is still misfiring for a lot of Teek fans with Discovery and Picard because they can't respect the lore or the nature of what Trek is but weirdly Seth MacFarlane can with his show The Orville.

As such I highly doubt we will see any more Trek.movies for a long time but at least the show runners fi ally seemed to listen to.the fans.

"

Never was a trekkie myself, but from the reboots and what I seen of them, original shows and recent films I do kind of feel there's some flagrant disregard of what made it important to so many and brought it that cult followed status.

Post new Message to Thread