FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should people get payed when going on a strike?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I am on a split view about it and cant really decide. I can see the argument over it from both the workers and the companys side, one example I think of the ones who have the most strikes are probably the train drivers, we have seen about 3 strikes within 2 months, even tho they are on a fairly good wage

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *anBerksMan
over a year ago

Berkshire

Quite often pay is withheld during a strike, then reinstated as part of the final settlement negotiations. At least in the company I used to work for

By *0ng0 furyMan
over a year ago

Birkenhead

i thought the pay came from a union strike fund

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"i thought the pay came from a union strike fund"

Only for those in super hardship. They cant afford to pay all. Union leaders need to quietly make their millions

over a year ago

If stikes were paid, people would strike more often

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I didn't get paid when I went on strike. I didn't think anyone did.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Don’t work don’t get paid

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

The miners striking in the 80s didn't get paid. It was the first time I heard of food banks

By *dventurous biMan
over a year ago

tesside

It’s a good job I didn’t join fab for intellectual and philosophical debate.

Of course you don’t get paid when you choose to withhold your labour in pursuit of better wages or whatever. Why would you expect to be?

Some unions may have funds available to offer strike pay, but the only people who get full pay whilst involved in a strike are the full time union reps.

over a year ago

Lots of companies don’t pay sick leave so not going to pay people on strike

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"It’s a good job I didn’t join fab for intellectual and philosophical debate.

"

That's a bit condescending !

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

It's been years since I was involved in a strike but at the time the GMB paid strike pay. If memory serves they paid after a week out on strike, at a rate of somewhere around £40 per day.

At the time there was no other pay to be had, you couldn't claim jobseekers because you weren't seeking a job.

over a year ago

Simple, NOPE. You don’t work you don’t get paid.

By *amantha TSWoman
over a year ago

Swindon

A lot of unions pay strike pay so that you're more likely to come out and strike. Might not be equal to your normal salary, but it's better than nothing!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I was once deducted a day's pay because someone else went on strike . When I queried it with payroll they said never mind we'll make it up next month . It was in my bank account the next day after I had 'words'

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think the fact that workers are prepared to lose pay says a lot about how unsatisfied they are.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Quite often pay is withheld during a strike, then reinstated as part of the final settlement negotiations. At least in the company I used to work for "
That is also a good way for it

over a year ago

I’m very supportive of strikes but no you shouldn’t get paid. It’s refusing to come to work and an employer shouldn’t have to pay you for that.

By *dventurous biMan
over a year ago

tesside

That's a bit condescending !"

Maybe it is, but it’s also true.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Don’t work don’t get paid "
This .

By *dventurous biMan
over a year ago

tesside

"Lots of companies don’t pay sick leave so not going to pay people on strike "

Companies have no choice about paying Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) after 4 days off.

It’s £99.35 per week.

Just search SSP for info.

Still shouldn’t pay anything when people strike though.

over a year ago

Off with covid

My company would not pay

When I went to hospital for indefinite period company would not pay even though it was there fault

over a year ago

"The miners striking in the 80s didn't get paid. It was the first time I heard of food banks"

I remember the miners strike, those were dire times for the strikers ..not able to feed their families or pay their bills..

over a year ago

"The miners striking in the 80s didn't get paid. It was the first time I heard of food banks

I remember the miners strike, those were dire times for the strikers ..not able to feed their families or pay their bills.."

Little known fact. Whilst some officers from the Met were openly arseholes to the striking miners, waving bundles of overtime money at them, other forces were routinely collecting and taking up food and essentials parcels for striking miners families. Funny old World…

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"The miners striking in the 80s didn't get paid. It was the first time I heard of food banks

I remember the miners strike, those were dire times for the strikers ..not able to feed their families or pay their bills.."

My memory of the coal strikers were that that basically held the country hostage every winter and finally got a taste of their own medicine when Thatcher stockpiled coal and told them all to bugger off

I might be way off though

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

I remember the miners strike, those were dire times for the strikers ..not able to feed their families or pay their bills..

My memory of the coal strikers were that that basically held the country hostage every winter and finally got a taste of their own medicine when Thatcher stockpiled coal and told them all to bugger off

I might be way off though "

Ah the days of Arthuer Scargill and Maggie Thatcher, and we all know who won that one.

Will Truss, assuming she becomes Prime Minister, be another Thatcher? No chance.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Of course you don’t get paid when you choose to withhold your labour in pursuit of better wages or whatever. Why would you expect to be?

Some unions may have funds available to offer strike pay, but the only people who get full pay whilst involved in a strike are the full time union reps.

"

Yes it is a good job but you will get there one day - I just know it.

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

If you are on strike you lose that day or week's pay. I have never been paid by my employer when I have been on strike.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"

Correct

I have much more sympathy for sectors that don't strike but probably should - low paid private sector workers in hospitality , healthcare etc.

I’d just fire all striking train drivers and tell people they’ll just have to use busses and cars or work from home until we automate the trains . It would then be done in 3-5 years

By *skyouneverknowMan
over a year ago

Calne

I've not been paid when I've been on strike

It's a serious matter - workers don't do it lightly,

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

I didn’t think that was legal (unless you’re talking about zero hours contracts)?

over a year ago

"Lots of companies don’t pay sick leave so not going to pay people on strike

I didn’t think that was legal (unless you’re talking about zero hours contracts)?"

Companies don't have to pay sick pay, sick pay is normally a good percentage of your normal pay upto %100, statutory sick pay is different the company legally has to pay this it kicks in after 3 day's, it's £99.35 before tax and national insurance contributions.

By *usie pTV/TS
over a year ago

taunton

I am an employer and fooked if I would pay anyone to be on strike I pay them to do a job of work, where the heck do the employees think we can suddenly magic extra money from, far too much skiving goes on nowadays pissing about on mobile devices and playing on websites when they should be doing a job lol.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

"I am an employer and fooked if I would pay anyone to be on strike I pay them to do a job of work, where the heck do the employees think we can suddenly magic extra money from, far too much skiving goes on nowadays pissing about on mobile devices and playing on websites when they should be doing a job lol."

33.200 members on here at present time, I wonder how many are on line at

their employers expense.?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I am an employer and fooked if I would pay anyone to be on strike I pay them to do a job of work, where the heck do the employees think we can suddenly magic extra money from, far too much skiving goes on nowadays pissing about on mobile devices and playing on websites when they should be doing a job lol."

Bring back the old days of disappearing with a clip board for hours or heading to the loo with the paper

over a year ago

Companies have no choice about paying Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) after 4 days off.

It’s £99.35 per week.

Just search SSP for info.

Still shouldn’t pay anything when people strike though."

I know about SSP as you said I doesn’t start straight away so if your sick couple of days as I said you don’t get paid. Also £99 a week not enough to cover most people lost earnings

over a year ago

I didn’t think that was legal (unless you’re talking about zero hours contracts)?"

Was at my last company 15 years never got sick pay even when I had bad cut needing stitches I took a week off as holiday. SSP is a very low amount less than a third of normal wages.

By *ittycock400Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

I don't think people on strike should get paid. It's meant to be about stopping the employer from functioning effectively not just draining them of cash.

I do, however, think that allowing employers to engage agency workers or contractors etc to break a strike should remain illegal.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/08/22 16:18:03]

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

I have heard that some people have said that the japan model is a good one to follow. I dont know so much about it, do you?

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Rock

Next month, my union will be balloting us members whether to go on strike. If we do, I wouldn’t expect to get paid, as the goal to improve our conditions and pay justify the means.

By *ittycock400Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

"I have heard that some people have said that the japan model is a good one to follow. I dont know so much about it, do you?

"

Is this where the employees continue to provide a service, for example drive a bus, but don't collect fares?

If so that is currently illegal in the UK.

over a year ago

Yes ppl should be able to strike to get a fair deal for pay and conditions. The whole strike action is meant to cause unrest which makes the often greedy shareholders take note

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

Yes it is a good job but you will get there one day - I just know it. "

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

I never knew people got paid when striking. I remember the miners strikes and how bad it got.

I have never really been in a union (except when I was a shop worker). It used to really annoy my dad that there was none.

He was old school and unions were important.

Back in his day ...he worked for Lucas, the unions were powerful.

Working conditions and pay were great.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I have heard that some people have said that the japan model is a good one to follow. I dont know so much about it, do you?

Is this where the employees continue to provide a service, for example drive a bus, but don't collect fares?

If so that is currently illegal in the UK."

I am not sure, but that could be it. I wonder if that would be a good idea in the uk?

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I’m very supportive of strikes but no you shouldn’t get paid. It’s refusing to come to work and an employer shouldn’t have to pay you for that.

"

This and I think the same about it too

By *avexxMan
over a year ago

cheshire

i been on strike a few times in the past,,, no pay

over a year ago

"i thought the pay came from a union strike fund

Only for those in super hardship. They cant afford to pay all. Union leaders need to quietly make their millions"

Super hardship? Train drivers? Since when??

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

If they are not working no.

They have chosen that difficult choice.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

"Yes ppl should be able to strike to get a fair deal for pay and conditions. The whole strike action is meant to cause unrest which makes the often greedy shareholders take note "

Those often so called greedy shareholders rely on dividends on their investments to maintain your pension fund, no dividends = reduced pension in the future.

By *valon7Woman
over a year ago

Lancaster

"I am on a split view about it and cant really decide. I can see the argument over it from both the workers and the companys side, one example I think of the ones who have the most strikes are probably the train drivers, we have seen about 3 strikes within 2 months, even tho they are on a fairly good wage "

Ive heard its about £25 per day or even a week.I wasnt realy listening!

By *aimeDWoman
over a year ago

Shaftesbury, Dorset

Can confirm that the traincrew from my company do not get any pay when they do not attend work on strike days if they were booked to do so, they are marked as absent for that day.

It’s up to the respective union if they feel the person is deserving of any hardship payment but it’s certainly not the norm to receive it.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I was once deducted a day's pay because someone else went on strike . When I queried it with payroll they said never mind we'll make it up next month . It was in my bank account the next day after I had 'words' "
Yes, that is not good, that it happened there.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

That's a bit condescending !"

A bit??

Post new Message to Thread