Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Is violent crime worse now than ever...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So obviously we are all aware of several horrific crimes that have happened very recently. I was having a discussion with someone earlier who said that when they were younger this sort of thing didn't happen. I suggested that it probably did but the differences now is we are more likely to hear about it. My thinking is the fear of crime is much higher than the reality even though things feel pretty grim right now.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I am like you on that. I think it always existed to some extent but now as the access to information and news are easier and tailored thanks to AI we hear it more than we used to.

over a year ago

"I am like you on that. I think it always existed to some extent but now as the access to information and news are easier and tailored thanks to AI we hear it more than we used to. "

Exactly and because of social media we hear things that aren't reported in the news, Obviously this isn't always accurate though.

I actually think the crime statistics are that violent crime is fairly low in comparison to previous decades. What I have noticed though is there appears to be more random violent crime.

By *aui.Man
over a year ago

around here

It's always been there. In fact history was very brutal. The difference is if something happened in a village it would barely be heard about even a few towns over. These days we have access to information about pretty much anything right in the palm of our hands.

over a year ago

"It's always been there. In fact history was very brutal. The difference is if something happened in a village it would barely be heard about even a few towns over. These days we have access to information about pretty much anything right in the palm of our hands. "

Definitely. There has been a couple of very high profile serious violent crimes in my local area and I often see on local community Facebook group pages People saying " The area has gone down hill" ect.. I genuinely don't believe that to be the case.

Do you think there seems to be more random violent crime now?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/08/22 23:21:04]

over a year ago

"Gangs and violent crime back in the day are glorified and idolised. (Wonder why)

Nowadays it’s just a bunch of young (you know) kids that have their trousers half way down their arse and *choose* to live this life

Do me a favour "

I get that but I wasn't specifically thinking about gang related crime because let's be honest that has always been a thing that dates back to the beginning of history.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/08/22 23:21:01]

By *aui.Man
over a year ago

around here

"It's always been there. In fact history was very brutal. The difference is if something happened in a village it would barely be heard about even a few towns over. These days we have access to information about pretty much anything right in the palm of our hands.

Definitely. There has been a couple of very high profile serious violent crimes in my local area and I often see on local community Facebook group pages People saying " The area has gone down hill" ect.. I genuinely don't believe that to be the case.

Do you think there seems to be more random violent crime now? "

Not sure if it's more random. I suppose there are different categories. I'd say these are different kinds:

Indiscriminate attacks and murders. These are pretty rare but have always happened.

Gangland stuff, this is common and again has always happened.

D*unken violence, in my opinion this is becoming more common.

over a year ago

Sorry deleting.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"Gangs and violent crime back in the day are glorified and idolised. (Wonder why)

Nowadays it’s just a bunch of young (you know) kids that have their trousers half way down their arse and *choose* to live this life

Do me a favour "

It's not though.

Gangs are run by older organised crime bosses.

Plus the street wars are no longer fist to fist.

Illegal substances are now a factor.

over a year ago

When I was younger there was no social media, no FB etc

So only time I heard about things was when I watched the news (which was very rare) or read the paper (which was even rarer)

Now with SM, fB twitter etc

You could be scrolling through FB minding your business and see things about crimes.

I don't think it's got worse I just think we have access to way more information now

over a year ago

"It's always been there. In fact history was very brutal. The difference is if something happened in a village it would barely be heard about even a few towns over. These days we have access to information about pretty much anything right in the palm of our hands.

Not sure if it's more random. I suppose there are different categories. I'd say these are different kinds:

Indiscriminate attacks and murders. These are pretty rare but have always happened.

Gangland stuff, this is common and again has always happened.

D*unken violence, in my opinion this is becoming more common. "

Yes I agree with you particularly about the last sentence.

Without turning this thread political I do think the way policing has changed has also made a huge difference as people seem to think they will get away with things or there will be little consequence.

over a year ago

Do me a favour

It's not though.

"

To be honest I think a legal substance misuse has always been an issue it's just something we talk about more which is kind of what I'm getting out I think.

over a year ago

"When I was younger there was no social media, no FB etc

So only time I heard about things was when I watched the news (which was very rare) or read the paper (which was even rarer)

Now with SM, fB twitter etc

You could be scrolling through FB minding your business and see things about crimes.

I don't think it's got worse I just think we have access to way more information now "

You are a couple of years younger than me and I have the same take on things. We heard about things if they happened in our very local area or If they were particularly horrific crimes. I remember something my mum said once which was the even though these things seem really scary and quite common they are actually very rare which is why they make the news. I don't think that holds much weight anymore because of social media.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Do me a favour

It's not though.

To be honest I think a legal substance misuse has always been an issue it's just something we talk about more which is kind of what I'm getting out I think. "

I have to disagree, but we can't discuss illegal things so I won't say anything more on the matter.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'm guessing that it's not worse presently, though there will be times when it could appear so, even when statistically insignificant

over a year ago

Do you think there seems to be more random violent crime now? "

I just think society has shifted its dynamics in general so it possibly impacts more on crime on an overall scale? We live within a society that feels less of a general responsibility towards our neighbours based on folk migrating naturally more than years ago. So we're far less likely to 'know our neighbours/get involved'. There is far less a general mentality towards say an older person feeling confident to approach a group of younger folk exhibiting antisocial behaviour and telling them to 'pack it in', as the fear of retaliation. I personally (and this is possibly only my view), feel that 'some' of the younger gen, don't give a flying fook because there are zero consequences for them. So if they want to do whatever they want, well who cares? Definitely, not all... But there seems to have been a generational shift in deprived areas of many generations of unemployment to the point the kids just really have no hope/even care? Substance misuse since the introduction of more potent variants has gone through the roof (although we're still way behind say the US, but it's definitely coming). The benefits system has been tapered down to the point the folk needing to either access it/or try to regain employment have next to no chance. And I think as a society in general we've lost the 'shock factor' more, so what may have appeared horrific a few decades ago, is now fairly mainstream

over a year ago

I just think society has shifted its dynamics in general so it possibly impacts more on crime on an overall scale? We live within a society that feels less of a general responsibility towards our neighbours based on folk migrating naturally more than years ago. So we're far less likely to 'know our neighbours/get involved'. There is far less a general mentality towards say an older person feeling confident to approach a group of younger folk exhibiting antisocial behaviour and telling them to 'pack it in', as the fear of retaliation. I personally (and this is possibly only my view), feel that 'some' of the younger gen, don't give a flying fook because there are zero consequences for them. So if they want to do whatever they want, well who cares? Definitely, not all... But there seems to have been a generational shift in deprived areas of many generations of unemployment to the point the kids just really have no hope/even care? Substance misuse since the introduction of more potent variants has gone through the roof (although we're still way behind say the US, but it's definitely coming). The benefits system has been tapered down to the point the folk needing to either access it/or try to regain employment have next to no chance. And I think as a society in general we've lost the 'shock factor' more, so what may have appeared horrific a few decades ago, is now fairly mainstream "

I definitely think the breakdown of families and communities has played a huge part in the way things have shifted.

When my mum was a kid her entire family lived in the same town whereas mine are literally scattered all around the world.

Even when I was growing up we knew all our neighbours but now I don't even know who lives in my block.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

The country is awash with drugs. The crime that lives in the wake of this is getting worse.

over a year ago

"The country is awash with drugs. The crime that lives in the wake of this is getting worse.

"

I guess so although my understanding is a lot of the violent crime that we have seen recently particularly that aimed at women has had nothing to do with this.

over a year ago

In my personal opinion I think the mental health crisis is driving a lot of this as people are not getting treatment. The authorities don't seem to want to intervene even if somebody has said what they are going to do. Recently we had to phone 999 as we witnessed something at a train station that looked like it was going to get violent We were told the police would not come unless somebody had actually been assaulted and I think here lies the problem.

We don't deal with anything preventive anymore it's all about cleaning up the aftermath.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It's always been there. In fact history was very brutal. The difference is if something happened in a village it would barely be heard about even a few towns over. These days we have access to information about pretty much anything right in the palm of our hands. "

I wrote a research paper on the history of public order offences - and it was interesting looking up the old microfiche records of 19th century newspapers. They said the same kinds of things about gangs of youths, unspeakable breakdown of society, from "the other".

I think it's just part of the way people talk about the world - or the media sell their product.

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

It has got worse, seems there are a lot of guns turning up in this country. I did read that some of the illegal immigrants coming across the channel are bringing some in. We need more police and they need funding better

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"The country is awash with drugs. The crime that lives in the wake of this is getting worse.

I guess so although my understanding is a lot of the violent crime that we have seen recently particularly that aimed at women has had nothing to do with this. "

Sorry, thought it was violent crime in general, not just against women.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It has got worse, seems there are a lot of guns turning up in this country. I did read that some of the illegal immigrants coming across the channel are bringing some in. We need more police and they need funding better "

It'd be interesting to see if the statistics bore this out.

over a year ago

I guess so although my understanding is a lot of the violent crime that we have seen recently particularly that aimed at women has had nothing to do with this.

Sorry, thought it was violent crime in general, not just against women. "

I didn't say it was just about women I was just saying there has been a lot of high profile crimes where there has been violence against women and no mention of any illegal substances being involved. So yes that could be one factor but I don't believe it's the main factor.

over a year ago

"It has got worse, seems there are a lot of guns turning up in this country. I did read that some of the illegal immigrants coming across the channel are bringing some in. We need more police and they need funding better "

The police don't need more funding they need better organisation. Whenever there is a high profile crime you will always see be local chief constable saying that people will see a much more highly visible police presence in the area for a few days. Why can't this happen more regularly? Why do we have to wait until something awful has happened? Locally since a very high profile case the police have been holding meetings in the local libraries every day of the week. My understanding is it is a rare occasion anyone actually goes in to speak to them. Surely their time could be used better by investigating already reported crimes and patrolling the streets.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

I didn't say it was just about women I was just saying there has been a lot of high profile crimes where there has been violence against women and no mention of any illegal substances being involved. So yes that could be one factor but I don't believe it's the main factor. "

Going back to the violent crime, irrespective of sex or gender I do believe drugs are the biggest contributing factor.

Murders, shootings and stabbings are as regular as clockwork in the West Midlands. They are pretty much all drug gang related.

over a year ago

I didn't say it was just about women I was just saying there has been a lot of high profile crimes where there has been violence against women and no mention of any illegal substances being involved. So yes that could be one factor but I don't believe it's the main factor.

Going back to the violent crime, irrespective of sex or gender I do believe drugs are the biggest contributing factor.

Murders, shootings and stabbings are as regular as clockwork in the West Midlands. They are pretty much all drug gang related.

"

There are so many drug related crimes on small/large settings. Yet, many low level crimes (theft/robbery/muggings) are also linked into it. Yet the support services for rehab are so over stretched/poorly funded. The government as a whole plays down the impact of drug related violent crimes within the country, and slashes the funding for services so it pretty self perpetual. And yes I'm well aware not everyone wants to seek help, but those who often do fall between the gaps, offend to gain cash to buy drugs, reuse, and the cycle goes on...

over a year ago

I also didn't realise it was a thread specifically targeted around violence at women? In which case I'd say the biggest issues tend to be... Violence, domestic violence, cohesive behaviour, negative relationships, and also drugs/alcohol?

over a year ago

I was just thinking this earlier had a conversation with some who said it's much worse now and I said it just seems that way because of social media etc but I know things are bad out there now

By *ust me 999Man
over a year ago

near you

No I think it’s the same it’s just reported more often now and then publicised by the media

By *rafty98Man
over a year ago

herts

Definitely reported more now for sure.

Thing is it seems to be the Norm to carry weapons these days. Back in the day it was just a fist fight

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Nah you just see more if it

We currently live in the safest time in history ever

But the media will make you think danger is behind every corner. Because fear sells

By *ake02Man
over a year ago

liverpool

As stated already I think the information just comes at us so much faster, but also so many different sides to it and now we don’t have news that just report things so people go to social media for the “truth”

over a year ago

"As stated already I think the information just comes at us so much faster, but also so many different sides to it and now we don’t have news that just report things so people go to social media for the “truth” "

Details are normally reported however they are normally reported after a trial.

By *ake02Man
over a year ago

liverpool

"As stated already I think the information just comes at us so much faster, but also so many different sides to it and now we don’t have news that just report things so people go to social media for the “truth”

Details are normally reported however they are normally reported after a trial. "

Yeah I know I get what your saying obviously the recent things that are happing like in Liverpool, there is no explanation for it! But what I mean is the news isn’t news now and instead go to social media and Chinese whispers is what we get now, which comes at us faster than we can even get to know the story not the Liverpool stuff that’s just abhorrent x

over a year ago

"Nah you just see more if it

We currently live in the safest time in history ever

But the media will make you think danger is behind every corner. Because fear sells "

Absolutely correct

over a year ago

"As stated already I think the information just comes at us so much faster, but also so many different sides to it and now we don’t have news that just report things so people go to social media for the “truth”

Yeah I know I get what your saying obviously the recent things that are happing like in Liverpool, there is no explanation for it! But what I mean is the news isn’t news now and instead go to social media and Chinese whispers is what we get now, which comes at us faster than we can even get to know the story not the Liverpool stuff that’s just abhorrent x "

I think in this particular case they have reported as much as they can. Almost everything that will be on social media will be speculation. For example I have a theory of what happened I think most of us do. Years ago those theories would have just been kept to ourselves or possibly are close family and friends whereas now you can get it out to millions in seconds.

By *ake02Man
over a year ago

liverpool

Yeah I know I get what your saying obviously the recent things that are happing like in Liverpool, there is no explanation for it! But what I mean is the news isn’t news now and instead go to social media and Chinese whispers is what we get now, which comes at us faster than we can even get to know the story not the Liverpool stuff that’s just abhorrent x

I think in this particular case they have reported as much as they can. Almost everything that will be on social media will be speculation. For example I have a theory of what happened I think most of us do. Years ago those theories would have just been kept to ourselves or possibly are close family and friends whereas now you can get it out to millions in seconds. "

Yes I completely agree with what your saying

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Actual statistics demonstrate that violent crime in the UK peaked in 1995 and has been trending steadily downward since.

You just hear more about it now because we're better connected than ever.

Some of the posts in this thread just indicate how effective the tabloid paranoia machine is.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Attitudes have also changed.

It was only 30 years or so ago that if you knocked your mrs about it was considered pretty normal if she spoke out of line or whatever, especially if the husband had been down the pub all Sunday and was steaming.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Years ago our country wasn’t Americanised, we didn’t immigrants living here that came from gangland cultures or Middle East war zones, the police were on top of it

It has spiralled out of all proportion

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Actual statistics demonstrate that violent crime in the UK peaked in 1995 and has been trending steadily downward since.

Some of the posts in this thread just indicate how effective the tabloid paranoia machine is."

That had been my hunch, too.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman
over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

"Actual statistics demonstrate that violent crime in the UK peaked in 1995 and has been trending steadily downward since.

Some of the posts in this thread just indicate how effective the tabloid paranoia machine is."

Are those statistics based on reported crime. As the different charity researchers suggest it can be that 2/3 go unreported

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Some of the posts in this thread just indicate how effective the tabloid paranoia machine is.

Are those statistics based on reported crime. As the different charity researchers suggest it can be that 2/3 go unreported "

Does that 2/3 unreported stay about the same across the years though? Or do they have evidence it’s increased over the years?

I struggle to believe things are worse now then in the past with the invention of cameras. CCTV is what killed the mob and serious organised crime in the US. It’s just much harder to get away with anything now

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Yes it is. I think that the level of it is different in different countries, for example in sweden it have sky rocketed.

over a year ago

Are those statistics based on reported crime. As the different charity researchers suggest it can be that 2/3 go unreported "

recording processes are incredibly complex and bureaucratic and inconsistent across the country.

If you perceive yourself to be a victim then it's recorded initially as the norm. Same with hate crimes.

I've been a victim of crime several times and didn't report it. Not because of any mistrust, but a realistic understanding that random acts by individuals are virtually impossible to follow up on.

I suppose there's more of us,condensly packed into the Country with the means to spread news at an instant so there will be that perception.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Are those statistics based on reported crime. As the different charity researchers suggest it can be that 2/3 go unreported

Does that 2/3 unreported stay about the same across the years though? Or do they have evidence it’s increased over the years?

I struggle to believe things are worse now then in the past with the invention of cameras. CCTV is what killed the mob and serious organised crime in the US. It’s just much harder to get away with anything now "

When you see footage of people in grey tracksuits, hoods up with face coverings, which seems to be the standard dress code for burglars & thrives, cameras are worthless.

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

We have a pretty poor understanding of violence in society - who is most affected, how they are affected and to what degree.

As a headline violence in society is generally going down decade by decade. We are a lot safer now then when we were all kids and we were safer then than when our parents were kids.

Whether we feel safer (probably due to the constant news cycle) is a different question.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

A lot can be yeilded from body shape, gait, and clothing. Especially if the criminals are known.

Forty years ago it was parkers with furry hoods we were all scared of. The way da yout pulled them tight like periscopes...

Fifty years ago it was Ben Sherman's on the Skinheads.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's not as prevalent but I believe it's more deadly.

A good old beating for everyone and anyone seems to have turned in to the stabbing or shooting of the few.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"It's not as prevalent but I believe it's more deadly.

A good old beating for everyone and anyone seems to have turned in to the stabbing or shooting of the few.

"

Yeah, that's how I see it too.

I see much less fisticuffs outside the bars at chucking out time but I do think the number of stabbings and shootings (especially amongst younger people) have gone up. Personally I blame dru@s and gangs, the get rich young or die trying mentality

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"A lot can be yeilded from body shape, gait, and clothing. Especially if the criminals are known.

Forty years ago it was parkers with furry hoods we were all scared of. The way da yout pulled them tight like periscopes...

Fifty years ago it was Ben Sherman's on the Skinheads.

"

How true that is

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I struggle to believe things are worse now then in the past with the invention of cameras. CCTV is what killed the mob and serious organised crime in the US. It’s just much harder to get away with anything now

When you see footage of people in grey tracksuits, hoods up with face coverings, which seems to be the standard dress code for burglars & thrives, cameras are worthless."

True, but it makes it a lot harder. You only need to look at the level of organised crime and corruption in places like New York before CCTV to see what an effect it has

I think crimes of passion probably haven’t changed. But preplanned stuff has. And it keeps getting better when someone with basic DIY and a few quid can install doorbell cameras and the likes

over a year ago

What about "The Krays", violent crime has always been pretty bad in this country....

It is just reported more now than before.

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

The figures I'm referring to are from the Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW), which "measures the amount of crime in England and Wales by asking people about crimes they have experienced in the last year. This includes crimes not reported to the police, so it is an important alternative to police records."

By *sianmale89Man
over a year ago

Stockport

I would say yes more so due to the fact that it is publicised and shared more through the internet and you hear about serious crime more so then you did decades back..

It’s a mixture off a series of events and the domino effects that they brought in general..

For example when certain services/programmes/support regimes or activities are cut down especially In deprived areas where it could bring a positive influence or away from bad influences then sometimes people turn to more violent or serious crimes..

Factors could be upbringing or experiences/influences or suffering abuse/neglect or even mindset some people change for the better and live normal lives or excel forward as they want to get out off their environment so they have a hunger/desire for a better legitimate life…

Some others take a whole different route and end up committing crimes which you end up hearing on the news or online

For some folks they figure why bother learning a trade/skill or get an education/work a job for them it’s not appealing or they may see rise off cost living is not enough money wise or risk being laid off/redundancy might as well turn to something illegal which is high risk but also high reward and brings in big money…

Same time you also get folks from privileged backgrounds who also commit violent/serious crimes varying on the offences difference being though a lot of them get away with it or get a slap on the wrist due to paying top £££ to their solicitors who end up sweet talking a judge and jury into letting them off..

Reality is if they were poorer or had less connections then the end result in court would be more severe

End off the day it does not help either that emergency services are severely cut down in numbers particularly police and their powers off what they can and cannot do..

Simply put how often do you hear off serious offenders be it from career criminals off all varieties, ASBOs gone too far, abusers, arsonists, paedophiles/groom gangs, rapists, murderers, serious hate crimes, people who attack emergency service workers etc so on being given suspended sentences or only a few years at best behind bars?

One guy who was in prison on terrorism charges for a number of years was then let out and look what the result off that was he went a killed people...

The judicial system or laws in place more or less let’s people off these days more so then it does convict for longer terms it has come to a point where a lot off criminals or offenders figure they will get a way with it in court so carry on and the victim is ultimately the one at loss.

It’s true since CCTV came in decades ago it has monitored and clamped down on violent activities but at the same time all one has to do is cover their face/body and most people would be none the wiser or simple be there are many people who don’t care and will just do whatever they want..

Human nature ultimately there will always be those who figure “I will do whatever the fuck I want regardless off the consequences try and stop me see what happens”

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Statistics very clearly show a huge increase in recorded violent crimes in the UK.

700k in 2002

2.1 million in 2021/2022.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

over a year ago

"Statistics very clearly show a huge increase in recorded violent crimes in the UK.

700k in 2002

"

I think that people are more likely to report crime now either as a victim or a witness. People pick things up on their dash cams or doorbell cams.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Statistics very clearly show a huge increase in recorded violent crimes in the UK.

700k in 2002

I think that people are more likely to report crime now either as a victim or a witness. People pick things up on their dash cams or doorbell cams. "

Maybe. The facts are there though. I'd have thought people are considerably less likely to report anything to the police service now. Given how likely they are to respond, solve and achieve prosecution. For many reasons. Not least they are hidden and inaccessible now.

Whilst our opinions are polar opposites... I'd hope there's some facts out there somewhere that provide real evidence, one way or the other of people's likelihood to report crimes. I just can't find it.

I do agree that media and socials are more toxic than beneficial in this regard. But that's pretty true for most aspects.

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

700k in 2002

"

Interesting. What statistics are those?

over a year ago

Substance abuse, weapons - criminal migration to and from other countries and the lack of policing for weapons as well as the culture of weaponry within crime.

All of the above...

Its a bit of a shitshow and horribly blantant. And they thought cutting police numbers before was the solution.

It's going to get to a point where regular people are going to end up going out "tooled up", if they arent already....

So many stories of kids carrying weapons as a result, its hardly a surprising reaction when everyone else is at it.

Sad, but true.

over a year ago

Its just reported more to distract the masses with more fear to distract people from the other dangers of the world

over a year ago

"

totally agree when I was young bigger gangs kept things together now every kid on the corner thinks they're a gangster guns are easier to get as little as 600 quid to borrow and more prepared to use we can blame society or parents but for me it's the muppets just wanting to be Mr big things won't change until the law and police really crack down and seriously punish them.

over a year ago

700k in 2002

I think that people are more likely to report crime now either as a victim or a witness. People pick things up on their dash cams or doorbell cams.

Maybe. The facts are there though. I'd have thought people are considerably less likely to report anything to the police service now. Given how likely they are to respond, solve and achieve prosecution. For many reasons. Not least they are hidden and inaccessible now.

Whilst our opinions are polar opposites... I'd hope there's some facts out there somewhere that provide real evidence, one way or the other of people's likelihood to report crimes. I just can't find it.

I do agree that media and socials are more toxic than beneficial in this regard. But that's pretty true for most aspects. "

I think you are wrong and people are much more likely to report things to the police now. We live in a much more anonymous society than we used to. What I mean by that is it used to be but everyone knew everybody in their street and there was more chances of someone being found out if they contacted the police about something that they had witnessed.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Violent crime between children is far worse than ever. I don't believe for a second it always happened where you literally had kids killing kids but we just didn't hear about it.

By *sianmale89Man
over a year ago

Stockport

One other thing I forgot to mention…

Rise in alcohol or drug abuse leads for many individuals an increase in serious violent crime related scenarios or situations where it is easier for people to go out off control and on a rampage…

Also mental health related issues be it from psychological issues or disorders in people from either negative/traumatic life experiences or just in general illness brought on..

Lack off at times programs or facilities due to budget cuts to help those with mental health issues can often lead to sometimes violent incidents either on health care staff or the general public or other issues..

over a year ago

Short Answer yes

From Liverpool originally

Shootings in city

over a year ago

Acquisitive crime is probably down. The real money is in drugs, trafficking people and goods. That generates fraud and money laundering and all the corruption associated with that. Kids have always been exploited by criminals to do their dirty work, hence the gang culture. These kids have to do some horrendous shit to prove themselves and belong. It’s a never ending cycle and most of them are just cannon fodder.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

700k in 2002

I do agree that media and socials are more toxic than beneficial in this regard. But that's pretty true for most aspects.

I think you are wrong and people are much more likely to report things to the police now. We live in a much more anonymous society than we used to. What I mean by that is it used to be but everyone knew everybody in their street and there was more chances of someone being found out if they contacted the police about something that they had witnessed. "

And I think you're wrong. Much more personal information is captured and shared than ever before. The police Leak like a sieve and the media have zero conscience or accountability for reporting names and sometimes addresses. I would have zero Confidence in being able to remain anonymous now. And anyone who does is deluded. You only have to look at the horrific shooting of the 9 year old in Liverpool to see how hard it is to get the pblice to report or help the police identify criminals.

By *iving Bi a TryMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

I haven’t read the whole thread, so apologies if this had been mentioned.

Google British Crime Survey. It’s a set of figures that are generally seen as the most accurate as they include crime data from a variety of sources, not just that which is reported to the police.

When you reach the site, you will be able to search for different types of crime and look at long term data.

It’s a while since I looked at it all, but I think you’ll find that violent crime had dropped over the years albeit (if I remember correctly) it might be slowly rising again. I don’t think it’s particularly bad now compared to how it was when I was a child.

As some others have commented, there are far more reporting sources now so you will be made aware of a young persons murder even though they are 600 miles away from you at the other end of the country. Once upon a time you had a day to catch the news and it was way more local. Now it’s reported on multiple sources and pretty much searchable for all eternity.

Gbat

By *yramid2022Man
over a year ago

Bristol

"So obviously we are all aware of several horrific crimes that have happened very recently. I was having a discussion with someone earlier who said that when they were younger this sort of thing didn't happen. I suggested that it probably did but the differences now is we are more likely to hear about it. My thinking is the fear of crime is much higher than the reality even though things feel pretty grim right now. "

Yeah right, violent crime has always happened. Social media and 24 news and CCTV / camera phoned just means we hear about it more.

Some things never used to be crimes - domestic violence within the home for example. That's abhorrent when you think about it.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I haven’t read the whole thread, so apologies if this had been mentioned.

Google British Crime Survey. It’s a set of figures that are generally seen as the most accurate as they include crime data from a variety of sources, not just that which is reported to the police.

When you reach the site, you will be able to search for different types of crime and look at long term data.

It’s a while since I looked at it all, but I think you’ll find that violent crime had dropped over the years albeit (if I remember correctly) it might be slowly rising again. I don’t think it’s particularly bad now compared to how it was when I was a child.

As some others have commented, there are far more reporting sources now so you will be made aware of a young persons murder even though they are 600 miles away from you at the other end of the country. Once upon a time you had a day to catch the news and it was way more local. Now it’s reported on multiple sources and pretty much searchable for all eternity.

Gbat "

Thanks.. I did and came up with the ons report?

Is that the ons report? It's an interesting set of stats which seems to show a massive peak in 1995 and a decline in violent crime since then.

Decrease in firearms crime and an increase in knife crime.

And a 20% chance of being a victim of a crime (any crime?).

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

"So obviously we are all aware of several horrific crimes that have happened very recently. I was having a discussion with someone earlier who said that when they were younger this sort of thing didn't happen. I suggested that it probably did but the differences now is we are more likely to hear about it. My thinking is the fear of crime is much higher than the reality even though things feel pretty grim right now.

Yeah right, violent crime has always happened. Social media and 24 news and CCTV / camera phoned just means we hear about it more.

Some things never used to be crimes - domestic violence within the home for example. That's abhorrent when you think about it. "

You're right — it's fucking disgusting. Similarly, r*ping your spouse wasn't illegal in the UK until 1991.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"So obviously we are all aware of several horrific crimes that have happened very recently. I was having a discussion with someone earlier who said that when they were younger this sort of thing didn't happen. I suggested that it probably did but the differences now is we are more likely to hear about it. My thinking is the fear of crime is much higher than the reality even though things feel pretty grim right now.

Some things never used to be crimes - domestic violence within the home for example. That's abhorrent when you think about it.

You're right — it's fucking disgusting. Similarly, r*ping your spouse wasn't illegal in the UK until 1991."

And a woman still can’t be charged with marital r@pe because it requires non consensual penile penetration

Fucked up

By *iving Bi a TryMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"And a woman still can’t be charged with marital r@pe because it requires non consensual penile penetration "

But they could be charged with Sexual Assault, which has up to a 10 year prison sentence.

Gbat

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Reading local news about the town where I grew up, there is a lot more crime.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"And a woman still can’t be charged with marital r@pe because it requires non consensual penile penetration

But they could be charged with Sexual Assault, which has up to a 10 year prison sentence.

Gbat "

Seems fair. Equality

By *ood time Chris BMan
over a year ago

TAUNTON AREA

You're right — it's fucking disgusting. Similarly, r*ping your spouse wasn't illegal in the UK until 1991.

And a woman still can’t be charged with marital r@pe because it requires non consensual penile penetration

Fucked up "

And most men who suffer violence and abuse from their female partners dont report it

Post new Message to Thread