Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

personal..question for the ladies

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi..can anyone help?..my doc wants to fit me with a coil but i am worried this would affect playtime..has anyone got one and give me some reasurance?..please help!! xxx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I once had one and hated it. I could feel the wires so I removed myself the next day and then passed out

over a year ago

I had one many years ago...it was horrible and I could feel it and it hurt! So had it taken out pronto.

I think as with all things it is horses for courses.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Do you mean having to abstain after youve had it fitted or in general? My first one i had like bad period pain for a few days. If you mean in general, for me not at all. A couple of guys have said they can feel it but thats all

over a year ago

dont know what to do now!!! dont want guys to feel it and what about using toys?...

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

Heard a story of one lady fitted with it and ended up with an awful series of infections that only went when the coil was finally removed.

Doesn't mean they all turn out like that, but was a pretty shocking case to say the least.

Wolf

over a year ago

I had one fitted in August to treat my Endometriosis, its a nightmare. I'm now on the pill as well as having the coil because I'm still getting periods (sorry boys) and its not treating my Endo so I'm on strong NSAID pain relief. Its the worst choice I ever made and I can't wait for the blasted thing to come out. My GP today said she thinks it needs to come out because its doing nothing. As for the wires, as anyone I've played with in the last 3 months will verify I tell people "If you find a chord in there don't pull!" and I also had a complete panic when playing with my pearl necklace in there that it would pull it out! It didn't though, much to the relief of me and the guy I was playing with!!!

By *andykissesWoman
over a year ago

laugharne

Ive been thinking abt getting one but after reading here, think ill pass and just deal with my 2wk periods

over a year ago

I had a horrendous time with a copper coil 20 years ago, and which I removed myself in less than a month because I was almost passing out in pain.

But needing contraception again, as well as starting to suffer from endometriosis, I had a Mirena coil fitted in May, was not too bad during fitting and just light cramping after. I actually played that evening....

After a few months of irregular periods, they have now settled down to a cycle again, but are so light I barely notice. PMT symptoms are still there, but bleeding is just a tinge of colour when I wipe (sorry if TMI!)

None of my guys have noticed the strings, or if they have, they haven't said anything.

It's the best thing I've had done, ever. Just wish I'd had one fitted years ago.

over a year ago

I've had mine for two years, for the first year and a half I had no period, then out of the blue in April they started again. They last two weeks and are very light.

On Wednesday I'm getting blood taken to check my thyroid and if that's ok I'm getting it taken out and get the injection instead.

over a year ago

OK was only gonna keep this private - yes I do have a sensible head too ........

I am on my second coil, I have never had a problem with it at all, there is a little pain at the time of it being fitted as described above like period pain which goes after a couple of days .......... the benefits to me are I havent had a period since three months after my first one was fitted, have never had an infection - and the "wires" are plastic strings, if they can be felt by a partner, they can be trimmed - I would deffo recommend one, but as described above some people get on with them and for others its not for them ...........

and cos u lot wouldnt believe that anything was so straight forward for Minx, ure right - its wasnt, on my first one they "lost" the strings ........ but we wont go into how they got it out lol ..........

over a year ago

I have a mirena, yes men & women can feel the strings.

Its been no use to me & Ive an appointment to have it removed (am dreading it & thinking of pushing the appointment back to after ive been to chams)

Mine is useless now Ive had my op anyways but it was bad when I had it in, then out a week later (I have a short cervic apparently, then another 1 in (sameday)) not something I would recommend at all.

I even toyed with the idea of asking someone (non medical) to take it out for me however do not fancy the risks involved.

On the otherhand its working great for caz and claire, and theyve put some weight on yes, however both were very thin to begin with so it hasnt been an issue.

My weight gain I plan to burn off with (s)excersize

over a year ago

"I once had one and hated it. I could feel the wires so I removed myself the next day and then passed out "

Jesus Christ

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I am on my third Mirena. Although its never got rid of my periods its been absolutely fine during sex. Its a bit of a chore having it replaced, but much MUCH easier than the pill/depo jab/cup etc. It goes in then you can forget about contraception for 5 years.

If the coil doesn't suit get an implant. My daughter has one and its fine, although they only last for 3 years.

over a year ago

I had the coil many moons ago and my husband used to moan it poked him in the eye if we ever had sex doggy style lol .. Missionary became so boring after that and had it removed so I could have more children

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

Have to agree with Minni here, had no real probs with mine either, best thing i could of had done....x

over a year ago

absolutely fine with my copper coil and i actually lost weight when i changed from the pill to this. periods regular as clockwork, light and not much pain from them now and they only last a few days. i would deffo recommend xx

over a year ago

"Have to agree with Minni here, had no real probs with mine either, best thing i could of had done....x"

+1

By *toneblueMan
over a year ago

Southampton

My ex had one fitted and it gave her very painful periods plus I could feel the threads during sex which wasn't very pleasant really, they seemed kind of stiff like they would jab me in the (jap's) eye. Didn't know you could trim them, but not too sure how you would get at them anyway to do it! Couldn't imagine going in there with a pair of scissors! And as for taking it put to trim it, the nurse had such trouble getting it in it she wouldn't have gone through it again anyway. So not great for everyone.

over a year ago

Coil for me was a nightmare. Tried it 3 times. Had my own body expell one. Sex dislodge another and 3rd I just had removed due to interfering with play.

I am on implant but that made my periods go all over the place. So now have the pill as well. Thankfully everything is like clock work now.

I've lost weight not gained but through hard work.

Cali

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"dont know what to do now!!! dont want guys to feel it and what about using toys?..."

As a bloke I can say without doubt, you can not feel it and it doesnt hinder sex in ANY way.

over a year ago

I want to thank all of you for your messages..its something i think i have to do..cant cope with the 2/3 week cycle..and my health has to come first really...feel better now...thanks for your honesty...just hope it wont put the guys off!...any problem using toys with it in there?...

over a year ago

I have a Mirena coil and its great. A tiny bit of discomfort but nothing too b ad when it was fitted and I did have a bleed for about 10 days and then haven't had a period now for 2 years. Its brill not ha ing to worry ab out the time of the month.

Guys can't possibly feel the actual coil. This passes through the cervix into the womb. Mens cocks do not go into the womb .

Men mat be able to feel the nylon threads because some doctors keep these a little longer. Ask the doctor to have the threads short.

Everyone is different and react differently to hormones, but the Mirena coil has been the b est ever for me

over a year ago

"My ex had one fitted and it gave her very painful periods plus I could feel the threads during sex which wasn't very pleasant really, they seemed kind of stiff like they would jab me in the (jap's) eye. Didn't know you could trim them, but not too sure how you would get at them anyway to do it! Couldn't imagine going in there with a pair of scissors! And as for taking it put to trim it, the nurse had such trouble getting it in it she wouldn't have gone through it again anyway. So not great for everyone."

Only a doctor or nurse can trim the threads, women cannot do it themselves

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

I had a series of health issues which meant I had to change my long used method of back up contraception ( I always have and will use a barrier method too).

They decided to try me on the mini-pill which is the same hormones as the Mirena preparatory to having a Mirena fitted - the family planning peeps kept telling me how good it was going to be!

Unfortunately the hormones didn't agree with me and the option to stick it out for six months till my body got used to them wasn't really an option!

I was on the waiting list for an appointment with a consultant to fit my coil so they recommended I keep it and have the copper one instead.

Most women can have them fitted by a well trained nurse or GP but I have a long cervix with a pelvic tilt (I'm an awkward bugger) so I got the deluxe service.

They try to choose a certain time in your cycle when your cervix is naturally open to make it easier. Having said that it is momentarily uncomfortable but that passes quickly. You will also be likely to get some cramping, just like a period. But nothing too bad.

If it is bad or you get any kind of stabbing pain or constant discomfort or a pain when you move in certain ways you should go back to get the positioning checked.

As for the threads. When it's first inserted they are tough and a little bristly. They will soften in a short time. they will get trimmed when you have it fitted but they may need trimming again - for example if your partner gets 'poked'. This is a quick and easy process and is less bother than a smear!

Since mine has been fitted and the threads trimmed shortly after (it was a follow up check to make sure all was well) I haven't given it a second thought. Apart from when I got a voucher for being part of study into copper coils - an easy questionnaire.

And it can stay put for up to 12 years.

So it's not all horror stories and many of the issues can be easily sorted if you have follow up appointments and a good relationship with the people who fit it in the first place.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"I want to thank all of you for your messages..its something i think i have to do..cant cope with the 2/3 week cycle..and my health has to come first really...feel better now...thanks for your honesty...just hope it wont put the guys off!...any problem using toys with it in there?... "

I have some very well endowed friends who have never noticed mine and I use a variety of toys and also enjoy fisting with selected friend - no bother at all!

over a year ago

I've had no problems using toys. I had a bit of discomfort after having it fitted but because I'd had a laparoscopy at the same time I can't say whether it was that that had caused the pain. I have 2 friends who've had no problems with the Mirena; mine just hasn't helped the Endometriosis which was why I'd had it fitted.

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

Forgive my ignorance - but isn't one of 'those' injections any good?

By *ooseLipsWoman
over a year ago

Durham-ish

I'm onto my 2nd Marina coil....

Had my first one to help keep my endometriosis at bay, it did the trick and I had no problems....

After 5yrs I had it removed and another fitted, I was knocked out so can't comment on the discomfort.....

As for feeling the threads, my other half can feel them, but nobody else has made any comments...

I hav a full and active sex life without any problems

I hope this helps in your decision, if you don't try you'll never know, that's all I can say..

Good Luck

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Forgive my ignorance - but isn't one of 'those' injections any good?"

If, like me, the hormones involved don't agree with your system the injection would be hell as I'd just have to wait till it wore off.

An implant or the coil or the mini pill are better options as they can be removed/stopped.

The coil is recommended since it delivers a slow release low level of the hormones to the specific area rather than flooding the whole system with a higher level as the injection, implant and mini-pill do.

And the coil is reversible, even though the process is uncomfortable.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

One other thing: you are supposed to check your threads once a month to make sure they haven't shifted (basically worked their way into the cervix) but due to my pelvic tilt mine only get checked when I go for my sexual health check ever 3 months. The nurses don't seemed too bothered by the fact I can't check them or that they don't get the monthly check.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"One other thing: you are supposed to check your threads once a month to make sure they haven't shifted (basically worked their way into the cervix) but due to my pelvic tilt mine only get checked when I go for my sexual health check ever 3 months. The nurses don't seemed too bothered by the fact I can't check them or that they don't get the monthly check."

havent looked at your profile to see if your bi or not.. but I hope you keep a straight face

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"One other thing: you are supposed to check your threads once a month to make sure they haven't shifted (basically worked their way into the cervix) but due to my pelvic tilt mine only get checked when I go for my sexual health check ever 3 months. The nurses don't seemed too bothered by the fact I can't check them or that they don't get the monthly check.

havent looked at your profile to see if your bi or not.. but I hope you keep a straight face "

You've never seen the whole stirrups and swabs experience of a full sexual health check on a woman then?

Not remotely sexy

over a year ago

Hormonal contraceptions did not suit me, and the cap was a passion killer. Hence I had coils ever since I was in my early 20s.

I had one that popped out, could feel the end of the plastic as I gave myself a routine inspection. Got it taken out and replaced with another in no time.

Can't remember any other issues.

I have a Mirena now, which delivers a low dose progesterone locally. It will stay inside as a conventional coil once it stops delivering the hormone, as I shall definitely be a fossil by 2014!

I no longer have periods.

No reported issues from the playmates.

The coil does not suit everyone, however, it suits me.

over a year ago

I had a coil fitted after our second child was born, never had any problems with it for a couple of years but then had a major issue in that I got pregnant with it

Wouldn't of changed the way things worked out as we were blessed with our wonderful second son but it was a heck of a shock at the time.

By *sMinxyWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I am now on my 2nd mirena coil.. its ok.. and had the strings trimmed by doctor, and they not noticable.. also they dont seem to affect use of toys

over a year ago

Ive got the mirena coil...been in nearly 5 years and needs changing next March and i will definitely be having it again. Hurt when was being fitted...i almost passed out through pain, i havent had kids and she said my cervix was a size 0. I told her it was the only thing about me that was lol.

But apart from that i have had no problems with it at all.

Post new Message to Thread