Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cost of living - fucking rip-off

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Probably trivial, but the milk is gone up by 60%, fucking rip-off. What essential or favorite items have you noticed that's gone up in price? When shopping.

I've discovered, Iceland warehouse. Is quite good for buying bulk items and you save yourself an absolute fortune when buying in bulk. Bought myself a pack of 12 Heinz baked beans for £6. which makes them 50p a tin Normally there 85p a tin. 3kg of bacon £10, you normally spend £2.50 on 250g £2.50 x 12= £30 you could say I am a savvy shopper, buying bulk save yourself an absolute fortune you can freeze it if it's perishable.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/08/22 09:38:44]

over a year ago

price increase yes...rip off? no.

milk has been subsidised for years. Farmers make very little on ot and their costs have shot up. so have the distributors.

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

Everything is going up, we are back to the vicious circle of high inflation. Once out, it's very hard to get the inflation genie back into the bottle.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Probably trivial, but the milk is gone up by 60%, fucking rip-off."

Do you have nipples?

According to Greg, you can milk anything that has nipples.

Could save you a fortune.

I'm amazed Martin Lewis hasn't pointed this out yet.....

A

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Bulk buying is great if you have the money to do it.

I'll happily pay more for milk if it goes to the farmers

By *ussieChrisMan
over a year ago

Walsall

As it does pretty much everytime there is a payrise, costs go up.

Companies are not willing or just can't justify taking the payrise on the chin and keep costs down. So add it to the cost of the product or service.

It's a catch 22, you get paid more (national minimum wage), then costs of living all rise as well.

That's my take on things anyway.

over a year ago

Our energy bill (gas /elec) has gone from 110£ to £400 in Oct. I guess we have to use a 1/4 of what we used to. wtf.

over a year ago

"Our energy bill (gas /elec) has gone from 110£ to £400 in Oct. I guess we have to use a 1/4 of what we used to. wtf. "

There’s genuinely going to be a LOT of cold or hungry (or both) people in this country.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Our energy bill (gas /elec) has gone from 110£ to £400 in Oct. I guess we have to use a 1/4 of what we used to. wtf. "

You will get the £66/67 a month from Oct but yes, feel cold or pay more seems to be the choice we're faced with.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm going to buy some thermal underwear and I genuinely looked into getting some of those padded all in one things people wear skiing. Being cold is miserable

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

You can’t expect every supplier/manufacture/retailer to bear the cost without passing on some of it to the consumer.

Admittedly, some will use it as an excuse to hike prices but to be fair we have lived in an era of

‘spend more than you earn’ vortex for way to long!

When I bought my first house interest rates were at 14%

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"You can’t expect every supplier/manufacture/retailer to bear the cost without passing on some of it to the consumer.

Admittedly, some will use it as an excuse to hike prices but to be fair we have lived in an era of

When I bought my first house interest rates were at 14% "

We fixed our mortgage rate at 10% once and celebrated .

over a year ago

Is it a rip off though? or have things just always been too cheap, it’s been taken for granted and people now think the world owes them a favour?

By *ehindHerEyesCouple
over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

"As it does pretty much everytime there is a payrise, costs go up.

Companies are not willing or just can't justify taking the payrise on the chin and keep costs down. So add it to the cost of the product or service.

It's a catch 22, you get paid more (national minimum wage), then costs of living all rise as well.

That's my take on things anyway. "

It’s called the pay spiral or something like that

Marc

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Is it a rip off though? or have things just always been too cheap, it’s been taken for granted and people now think the world owes them a favour?"

I don't think it's a rip off but I don't think things have always been too cheap either. I also don't think it's unreasonable for people to want to be able to eat nutritional food while keeping warm.

By *appy nakedMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

Most pay has stagnated for the last 12 years, inflation is being driven by the increase in the price cap on energy, something the government can do something about but don’t want to

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Most pay has stagnated for the last 12 years, inflation is being driven by the increase in the price cap on energy, something the government can do something about but don’t want to "

People are finally waking up to pay stagnation. It has been camouflaged for most of the last decade by increases in the personal allowance for income tax. which is effectively a government subsidy for employers. Now that has happened, we get to see how much we've been screwed for the last 10 years.

By *enuine MikeMan
over a year ago

Guildford

I genuinely feel sorry for those who are on low incomes. They will sadly struggle the most.

Sadly our politicians are to blame for the shit choices they have made and its the man on the street that suffers for their incompetence

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Most pay has stagnated for the last 12 years, inflation is being driven by the increase in the price cap on energy, something the government can do something about but don’t want to

People are finally waking up to pay stagnation. It has been camouflaged for most of the last decade by increases in the personal allowance for income tax. which is effectively a government subsidy for employers. Now that has happened, we get to see how much we've been screwed for the last 10 years."

*Now that the personal allowance has been frozen

over a year ago

"Is it a rip off though? or have things just always been too cheap, it’s been taken for granted and people now think the world owes them a favour?

I don't think it's a rip off but I don't think things have always been too cheap either. I also don't think it's unreasonable for people to want to be able to eat nutritional food while keeping warm. "

I agree - nobody in 2022 should be struggling to afford to eat 3 decent meals per day - but that’ll lead us onto a political debate that will never ever end

over a year ago

My view is - if the supermarkets, utilities in 3/6 months time are still announcing bumper profits then yes we are being totally fleeced - as they price rises are just being done to defend the shareholders take and it’s not really to do with genuine costs being passed on - if they cared they could have lower profits and pass on savings to customers.

We are governed by a people who in it for the elite and they are really throwing the plebs to the wolves.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

What is really shocking is the apathy that is shown by our so called politicians. There are people who are just managing. What will the pitiful £66pm do when talking about 500% increase in some cases. My £100pm fixed rate ended and was offered £510pm 1 year fixed !!! Even if they eventually do something to help, particularly these horrendous energy figures that are thrown about, lots of damage will have already been done. The stress that so many people are under so soon after covid and all the mental health issues it caused, is just too much. You have two people fighting for the PM position at the moment neither of who seem to grasp the despair of the nation. It's such a sad state of affairs in this country at the moment and nobody who cares at the helm.

over a year ago

It's awesome for the diet.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"My view is - if the supermarkets, utilities in 3/6 months time are still announcing bumper profits then yes we are being totally fleeced - as they price rises are just being done to defend the shareholders take and it’s not really to do with genuine costs being passed on - if they cared they could have lower profits and pass on savings to customers.

We are governed by a people who in it for the elite and they are really throwing the plebs to the wolves. "

They will do re profits etc, it's a scandal that the profit on basic essential food stuffs ..

The lot in power at the moment will simply say, they need to make profits to invest / pensions will benefit and the apathy will continue..

I think this coming winter could be a poll tax moment but possibly bigger as the hit is more wide spread..

I'm not sure if the political system will listen to anything but mass protest and civil disobedience might get their attention, whilst I'm not welcoming such potential things I really do wonder that it might be necessary as they sure don't seem to be taking much notice outside their own career bubble..

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I was chatting to a friend who said she's not concerned at all. Apparently it's all scare tactics (she didn't say to what end) and things aren't going to be as bad as 'they ' say they are.

I do don't know if this is her whistling in the dark because she's on a lowish income, lives alone in rented accommodation and is close to pension age or if she genuinely believes if.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

^^ but I wonder if lots of people think someone is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat at the eleventh hour

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It's awesome for the diet. "

True and it'll finish the job that covid started with the elderly and vulnerable thereby reducing a lot of costs.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"I'm going to buy some thermal underwear and I genuinely looked into getting some of those padded all in one things people wear skiing. Being cold is miserable "

In winter I wear thick socks, slippers, a jumper and a dressing gown, a scarf and hat indoors during the day with the heating off or on low. My son turns it up when he gets in and I turn it off when I go to bed.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I'm going to buy some thermal underwear and I genuinely looked into getting some of those padded all in one things people wear skiing. Being cold is miserable

In winter I wear thick socks, slippers, a jumper and a dressing gown, a scarf and hat indoors during the day with the heating off or on low. My son turns it up when he gets in and I turn it off when I go to bed.

"

I also have some fingerless gloves. They have a fur trim which makes me look a little less like Scrooge

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"It's awesome for the diet.

True and it'll finish the job that covid started with the elderly and vulnerable thereby reducing a lot of costs. "

Sadly there will be a substantial increase and with the effects of long covid etc it will really hit those groups..

over a year ago

I don't know if the price rise for milk is going to farmers - are they benefitting? I hope so. My family drinks a lot of milk so I have noticed but it's the rising costs overall that concern me more. I need to look at bulk purchase of some items - I haven't had space before but I do now. Any suggestions?

There's mention of £66 pm - I've missed an announcement I think. Could someone fill me in please?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"^^ but I wonder if lots of people think someone is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat at the eleventh hour"

I'm preparing to suffer. *shrug*

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I don't know if the price rise for milk is going to farmers - are they benefitting? I hope so. My family drinks a lot of milk so I have noticed but it's the rising costs overall that concern me more. I need to look at bulk purchase of some items - I haven't had space before but I do now. Any suggestions?

There's mention of £66 pm - I've missed an announcement I think. Could someone fill me in please?"

They are giving £66pm from October to every household to help with the energy bills. It was announced a while back. Yes it's something but ic the figures quoted are true, it won't touch the sides I am afraid

By *ussieChrisMan
over a year ago

Walsall

"They are giving £66pm from October to every household to help with the energy bills. It was announced a while back. Yes it's something but ic the figures quoted are true, it won't touch the sides I am afraid "

I dunno.. How do we get that? Every little bit counts in opinion.

That could be put towards food/electric/gas/council tax.. That's £66 less out of my pocket.

Is it just for families/households with children and elderly.. Meaning single people suffer more, or is it everyone?

over a year ago

Genuinely concerned for ppl on low incomes.

I’m worried myself as I’m a single parent , luckily I earn more than some folk and I get maintenance for the daughter , but I literally couldn’t pay the figures quoted if I was earning minimum wage

over a year ago

"Probably trivial, but the milk is gone up by 60%, fucking rip-off. What essential or favorite items have you noticed that's gone up in price? When shopping.

I've discovered, Iceland warehouse. Is quite good for buying bulk items and you save yourself an absolute fortune when buying in bulk. Bought myself a pack of 12 Heinz baked beans for £6. which makes them 50p a tin Normally there 85p a tin. 3kg of bacon £10, you normally spend £2.50 on 250g £2.50 x 12= £30 you could say I am a savvy shopper, buying bulk save yourself an absolute fortune you can freeze it if it's perishable."

Well withywood is a bit of a shit hole these days I believe

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I don't know if the price rise for milk is going to farmers - are they benefitting? I hope so. My family drinks a lot of milk so I have noticed but it's the rising costs overall that concern me more. I need to look at bulk purchase of some items - I haven't had space before but I do now. Any suggestions?

There's mention of £66 pm - I've missed an announcement I think. Could someone fill me in please?

They are giving £66pm from October to every household to help with the energy bills. It was announced a while back. Yes it's something but ic the figures quoted are true, it won't touch the sides I am afraid "

Is this the £400 thing?

By *rhugesMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Petrol prices are slowly coming down though

over a year ago

We have the highest energy costs in Europe. The government are allowing profiteering. Grab a scaff pole, a brick or whatever and let’s March on Westminster

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

I have an app that tracks supermarket prices, so as a rule, I can keep within my shopping budget, but not skimp on what I buy

By *ussieChrisMan
over a year ago

Walsall

"I have an app that tracks supermarket prices, so as a rule, I can keep within my shopping budget, but not skimp on what I buy"

would you be so kind as to name this lovely app so we can all reap the rewards?

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

"I have an app that tracks supermarket prices, so as a rule, I can keep within my shopping budget, but not skimp on what I buy

would you be so kind as to name this lovely app so we can all reap the rewards?"

trolley.co.uk

over a year ago

They are giving £66pm from October to every household to help with the energy bills. It was announced a while back. Yes it's something but ic the figures quoted are true, it won't touch the sides I am afraid "

Ah it's the much-mooted £400 in monthly instalments.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

They are giving £66pm from October to every household to help with the energy bills. It was announced a while back. Yes it's something but ic the figures quoted are true, it won't touch the sides I am afraid

Is this the £400 thing?"

By *ussieChrisMan
over a year ago

Walsall

"I have an app that tracks supermarket prices, so as a rule, I can keep within my shopping budget, but not skimp on what I buy

would you be so kind as to name this lovely app so we can all reap the rewards? trolley.co.uk"

Thank you I'll have a peek now

over a year ago

"They are giving £66pm from October to every household to help with the energy bills. It was announced a while back. Yes it's something but ic the figures quoted are true, it won't touch the sides I am afraid

I dunno.. How do we get that? Every little bit counts in opinion.

That could be put towards food/electric/gas/council tax.. That's £66 less out of my pocket.

Is it just for families/households with children and elderly.. Meaning single people suffer more, or is it everyone? "

IF I read it right (back when I first looked) as long as your energy bills are in your name (not pre paid cards etc) it will be applied automatically by your energy supplier. And it was open to all not just those receiving other benefits.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

The £400 (6 installments of £66/67pm) payment will be made to all households that pay for their energy, regardless of their income. If you pay by direct debit your supplier will either reduce your direct debit amount or refund the money to your bank account each month. Mind you, if you jot heard of it, you probably don't need it.

It's a drop in the ocean though compared to what other countries are doing to help their citizens. Most importantly they have not allowed the vast increases to happen in the first place. Prices have gone up everywhere but the apathy our politicians have shown at tackling the issue before it hits the consumer is just unprecedented.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"We have the highest energy costs in Europe. The government are allowing profiteering. Grab a scaff pole, a brick or whatever and let’s March on Westminster "

I think there'll be significant civil unrest.

over a year ago

"We have the highest energy costs in Europe. The government are allowing profiteering. Grab a scaff pole, a brick or whatever and let’s March on Westminster

I think there'll be significant civil unrest."

For the first time, I think I would join a protest. The government's inaction will mean people starve and/or freeze.

Nothing in Sunak or Truss's speeches show any sign they're taking this seriously.

over a year ago

"We have the highest energy costs in Europe. The government are allowing profiteering. Grab a scaff pole, a brick or whatever and let’s March on Westminster

Do you want there to be?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Do you want there to be?"

No. You'll note I didn't say that.

I want people not to suffer.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I thought the same but I now think people are too apathetic and too ready to blame 'them' whoever 'they' are. Already there are rumblings of British people don't work hard enough.

over a year ago

I thought the same but I now think people are too apathetic and too ready to blame 'them' whoever 'they' are. Already there are rumblings of British people don't work hard enough. "

Is that because Liz Truss said that and now it's being echoed?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I thought the same but I now think people are too apathetic and too ready to blame 'them' whoever 'they' are. Already there are rumblings of British people don't work hard enough. "

I've been stunned by the overall apathy and lack of empathy going on.

Many people are going to hit their breaking point this winter - but whether that will be externalised into unrest or internalised into self harm or other psychological breakdown.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I thought the same but I now think people are too apathetic and too ready to blame 'them' whoever 'they' are. Already there are rumblings of British people don't work hard enough.

Is that because Liz Truss said that and now it's being echoed? "

Probably and I think Jacob R-M has said it too.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Many people are going to hit their breaking point this winter - but whether that will be externalised into unrest or internalised into self harm or other psychological breakdown."

Time will tell

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Many people are going to hit their breaking point this winter - but whether that will be externalised into unrest or internalised into self harm or other psychological breakdown.

Time will tell "

It's grim. Tbh for some it's already grim.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 21/08/22 14:24:52]

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

You can even see this on here from time to time, especially when people talk about people on benefits etc. It's easy to castigate certain groups in society than to actually look at the real issues and try and do something about it, especially if you are part of the problem yourself as many of our politicians and leaders often are.

over a year ago

Is that because Liz Truss said that and now it's being echoed?

Probably and I think Jacob R-M has said it too. "

Oh that pillock. He would!!

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"You can’t expect every supplier/manufacture/retailer to bear the cost without passing on some of it to the consumer.

When I bought my first house interest rates were at 14% "

My first house: 1960

Mortgage interest rate 14%

Mortgage period max 25 years

Min deposit 10%

Max loan 2.5 x annual salary.

Cost of my new build 2 bed bungalow £1800

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Min deposit 10%

Cost of my new build 2 bed bungalow £1800"

And herein is the problem with house prices at the moment.

Average UK house price = £281,161

Average (median) UK salary = £31,285

The average UK house is now nearly 9 times the median salary. A mortgage of 2.5x income is a pipe dream, irrespective of the interest rate.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

just been out for some food for our kittys up to £5.79 a box of 12 from £3.29 tesco own brand cheapo from now on

over a year ago

I tried the Iceland Warehouse today as there's one near me. They do have more bulk items eg massive bags of pasta, dog food etc. I got 5L of kitchen spray for 5L which will last me the rest of the year and save on plastic but all in all I will look for bulk savings elsewhere I think. Depends what you buy.

over a year ago

"just been out for some food for our kittys up to £5.79 a box of 12 from £3.29 tesco own brand cheapo from now on "

I switched to Tesco own brand dog food which is half the price of Harringtons. It's good.

over a year ago

"just been out for some food for our kittys up to £5.79 a box of 12 from £3.29 tesco own brand cheapo from now on "

My mate gave me some b n m cheap cat food as her cats were too fussy to eat it, my cats have inhaled it

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"just been out for some food for our kittys up to £5.79 a box of 12 from £3.29 tesco own brand cheapo from now on

My mate gave me some b n m cheap cat food as her cats were too fussy to eat it, my cats have inhaled it "

My Dad's cat (now deceased) refused to eat anything other than Felix and actually DID prefer to starve (or catch mice or something). Dad tried Tesco own brand and other less expensive options, to no avail

over a year ago

"just been out for some food for our kittys up to £5.79 a box of 12 from £3.29 tesco own brand cheapo from now on

My mate gave me some b n m cheap cat food as her cats were too fussy to eat it, my cats have inhaled it

My Dad's cat (now deceased) refused to eat anything other than Felix and actually DID prefer to starve (or catch mice or something). Dad tried Tesco own brand and other less expensive options, to no avail "

Awww

Mind you , mine also eat birds / mice , it’s lovely

over a year ago

"I'm going to buy some thermal underwear and I genuinely looked into getting some of those padded all in one things people wear skiing. Being cold is miserable

I also have some fingerless gloves. They have a fur trim which makes me look a little less like Scrooge "

I wrap a scarf around me too as well as thermal top,jumper,fingerless gloves +2 throws that i wrap around myself.. I look like a mummy from the chest down

over a year ago

There's mention of £66 pm - I've missed an announcement I think. Could someone fill me in please?"

I imagine it is going on increased cost of feed and logistics of moving milk?

over a year ago

"It's awesome for the diet.

True and it'll finish the job that covid started with the elderly and vulnerable thereby reducing a lot of costs. "

over a year ago

I also have some fingerless gloves. They have a fur trim which makes me look a little less like Scrooge

I wrap a scarf around me too as well as thermal top,jumper,fingerless gloves +2 throws that i wrap around myself.. I look like a mummy from the chest down "

Fingerless gloves are the bees knees. I always have them on at home autumn/winter.

over a year ago

I wrap a scarf around me too as well as thermal top,jumper,fingerless gloves +2 throws that i wrap around myself.. I look like a mummy from the chest down

Fingerless gloves are the bees knees. I always have them on at home autumn/winter. "

I had some kids mittens one year, so when I didn't need to type i could warm my fingers up

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Min deposit 10%

The average UK house is now nearly 9 times the median salary. A mortgage of 2.5x income is a pipe dream, irrespective of the interest rate. "

Sorry omitted my income was around £600 pa from 1 full time job and 2 part time jobs, I put down a £300 deposit and borrowed borrowed £1500 over 25 years.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Min deposit 10%

The average UK house is now nearly 9 times the median salary. A mortgage of 2.5x income is a pipe dream, irrespective of the interest rate.

Sorry omitted my income was around £600 pa from 1 full time job and 2 part time jobs, I put down a £300 deposit and borrowed borrowed £1500 over 25 years."

Christ your generation had it easy

I just had to put down 48k on a house, apparently 60-70k a year buys you fuck all these days

over a year ago

I’m dreading the cost of gas and electric in the winter. I’ve already said we’re all going to have to wrap up warm each day. I’ve literally no wiggle room with food other than me not eating everyday.

I’m a single parent on benefits, and it’s not the high life people think. The reality of life at the moment is very scary x

over a year ago

"Bulk buying is great if you have the money to do it.

I'll happily pay more for milk if it goes to the farmers"

and the room to store it

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

Prices will continue to increase if mass strikes mean production and shipping's affected, along with increase in salaries.

Companies will have to recoup costs somehow: future projects will be reigned in, employees will get cut or greater output on lesser workforce - likely all.

The only way to fix the energy crisis is to rapidly overhaul the energy market (which should have been done a long time ago).. What that means I have no idea, maybe look at those with large energy needs first - schools, hospitals, factories, implementing obvious widespread uptake, changing to carbon neutral alternatives. This might then spur alternative energies in becoming cheaper nationally and free up supplies reliant on fossil fuels to households.

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

The whole country should have a national strike day, if everyone didn't go to work. The government would actually do something about it, that's how things are done in other countries happened recently somewhere in Asia over rising prices.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"The whole country should have a national strike day, if everyone didn't go to work. The government would actually do something about it, that's how things are done in other countries happened recently somewhere in Asia over rising prices."

Sri Lanka?

It was more than a one day strike though

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

What winds me up is they were so quick to put the price of petrol up as soon as news of the Ukraine invasion was announced.

Post new Message to Thread