Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cost of University. OMG

Jump to newest

By *asycouple1971 OP   Couple
over a year ago

midlands

Kid is off to Uni this year.

Just costing some things up and holly shit its expensive.

Told him to sign up to the supermarket/shops loyalty schemes and budget and keep a tally on what he spends.

Guess the 1st year is the most expensive as we are getting all the equipment that should last him 3yrs.

Any other tips from parents that have been thru this?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Send him /her to Europe it is cheaper

By *an1978Woman
over a year ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

I've got that cost to come next year.

Research every possible bursary to grant, from the uni, the council, charities and so on.

Encourage them to get a job in a pub.

That way they get social interaction and few quid.

(That's what I did anyway)

A lot of the equipment you can probably get on Freecycle, or donated from friends and family.

over a year ago

See if it's even worth it

over a year ago

"Kid is off to Uni this year.

Told him to sign up to the supermarket/shops loyalty schemes and budget and keep a tally on what he spends.

Guess the 1st year is the most expensive as we are getting all the equipment that should last him 3yrs.

Any other tips from parents that have been thru this?"

Tell him to get a part time job, my daughter did.

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

I didn't go to uni but earn quite a lot more than most of my friends who did, is it really worth it or are apprenticeships and the like better?

over a year ago

"I didn't go to uni but earn quite a lot more than most of my friends who did, is it really worth it or are apprenticeships and the like better?"

My question too but you put it better.

over a year ago

Congratulations, you must be very proud.

Loved seeing my colleague, normally, a cold hearted miserable man. Weeping tears of joy at his son's results. Then he normal personality was restored as he realized that the better university option now is more expensive.

over a year ago

midlands

Hes already thinking of a part time job but really would like him settled in before he does that and enjoy Uni rather than thinking of money all the time.

over a year ago

"Hes already thinking of a part time job but really would like him settled in before he does that and enjoy Uni rather than thinking of money all the time.

But you started the thread because of money.

"

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Yup, you can thank the tories for this

over a year ago

"Yup, you can thank the tories for this"

Happy birthday

over a year ago

midlands

"Congratulations, you must be very proud.

Loved seeing my colleague, normally, a cold hearted miserable man. Weeping tears of joy at his son's results. Then he normal personality was restored as he realized that the better university option now is more expensive.

"

Thanks.

Cant stop him from going to Uni and seeing what life away from home is like etc.

over a year ago

midlands

"Hes already thinking of a part time job but really would like him settled in before he does that and enjoy Uni rather than thinking of money all the time.

"

I would rather we worried about the money side than him and told him to enjoy it for the first weeks before he lives on pot noodle for 3 years. Lol.

over a year ago

Thanks.

Cant stop him from going to Uni and seeing what life away from home is like etc.

"

You can't and you can't.

Tell him you won't help him in any way financially

See what he chooses then.

It is after all his life

over a year ago

I would rather we worried about the money side than him and told him to enjoy it for the first weeks before he lives on pot noodle for 3 years. Lol."

Neither of you sound like you're well prepared or organised for this.

over a year ago

Tell him not to stay in halls long....The rent is extortionate, make friends and house share

My lad opened up a separate bank account for bills and his housemates used to pay into that to cover their share

over a year ago

I would rather we worried about the money side than him and told him to enjoy it for the first weeks before he lives on pot noodle for 3 years. Lol.

Neither of you sound like you're well prepared or organised for this. "

Do they have to be? Christ! I work for a successful multi national organisation for whom preparation and organizing doesn't involve doing either or spending. Its truly baffling how they have been so successful on the cheap. But they've done it. Where there's a will there's a way.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Any other tips from parents that have been thru this?"

I assume you've already weighed up the pros and cons of going in the first place and the liklihood that the degree he'll be studying will be worth the cost outlay to get it?

I get the whole 'moving out, meeting new people and living away from home' attraction but that can be done in better ways than uni if that is the over-riding motivation rather than a specific career based degree? You've said 3 years so that rules out medicine, teaching and a few others so will there be a guaranteed improvement in employability at the end? Working abroad can be a far better option nothing for life experience and affordability, given you're getting paid instead of running up debt.

Student loans won't be paid back by around 80% of people that take them out and are effectively just a graduate tax but there is the risk ( as many have found) that years down the line the debt is sold on. So while many see it as free money that they may never have to pay back it could be quite a shock in the future if the debt is sold to a third party - there'll be no payment breaks then.

Sorry if I haven't really helped with the budgeting side of things. I posted more to benefit any others whose kids are contemplating uni in the future. There are better alternatives if you're not studying a degree linked to a specific career and are just going for the 'life experience'. If you want your life experience to be racking up huge debts before you've ever got your first serious job, then crack on. But generic Mickey mouse degrees aren't attractive in the employment market anymore.

A

over a year ago

Send them to Scotland.....its free!

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Send them to Scotland.....its free! "

Only if they've lived in Scotland for three years before starting their course.

A

over a year ago

"Send them to Scotland.....its free! "

My son studied in Scotland and you have to be a Scottish resident.

By *unx2019Couple
over a year ago

Moray

Just spent a fortune supporting daughter for 2 years uni now dropped out and wants to join police.

Make sure they know what's actually involved and what they get out of it in the end will actually get them the career they want.

Yes she studied in Scotland but still cost a small fortune.

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

I assume you've already weighed up the pros and cons of going in the first place and the liklihood that the degree he'll be studying will be worth the cost outlay to get it?

I get the whole 'moving out, meeting new people and living away from home' attraction but that can be done in better ways than uni if that is the over-riding motivation rather than a specific career based degree? You've said 3 years so that rules out medicine, teaching and a few others so will there be a guaranteed improvement in employability at the end? Working abroad can be a far better option nothing for life experience and affordability, given you're getting paid instead of running up debt.

Student loans won't be paid back by around 80% of people that take them out and are effectively just a graduate tax but there is the risk ( as many have found) that years down the line the debt is sold on. So while many see it as free money that they may never have to pay back it could be quite a shock in the future if the debt is sold to a third party - there'll be no payment breaks then.

Sorry if I haven't really helped with the budgeting side of things. I posted more to benefit any others whose kids are contemplating uni in the future. There are better alternatives if you're not studying a degree linked to a specific career and are just going for the 'life experience'. If you want your life experience to be racking up huge debts before you've ever got your first serious job, then crack on. But generic Mickey mouse degrees aren't attractive in the employment market anymore.

A

"

I agree with that completely. Lots of people end up doing degrees that are financially a bad decision.

Not to say doing a degree that doesn't lead to a lucrative career does not have value but I think too many parents and students don't consider it or don't have all the information.

Over the years I've hired 100s of people on different companies for different roles. Plenty of those roles absolutely required a degree. However plenty of them didn't and saw people at exactly rhe same level that had a mix of people with and without a degree.

Actually just thinking about it some of the better paid people I've employed have come through the apprenticeship route. Although invariably the best paid roles have come through university route.

On a side note pot noodle are a terrible choice. The little square packs of ramen noodles are much nicer and a fraction of tbe price. Teach him how to batch cook

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

If they’re going to be in halls in a shared flat, don’t buy toaster/kettle etc, as once everyone is there, they can split the cost of that between them all.

Invest in a mattress topper - definitely worth it.

Look at bursaries, one of mine got two lots of bursaries in their first year which really helped. The university identified them, rather than them applying for it.

If they can, get a part time job to top up their grant.

Exciting times ahead.

over a year ago

Worth it though

over a year ago

midlands

Neither of you sound like you're well prepared or organised for this.

Do they have to be? Christ! I work for a successful multi national organisation for whom preparation and organizing doesn't involve doing either or spending. Its truly baffling how they have been so successful on the cheap. But they've done it. Where there's a will there's a way."

Thanks.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Some of the best years of my life. Don’t worry kids adapt. My roast dinners consisted of frozen roast potatoes and just gravy. I got by and I was seemingly immature back then only to find out it was something else.

Nephews been through it recently and he is earning a lot with bonuses on top in the corporate media world. He feels staying on for his masters was a wise choice.

over a year ago

A

I agree with that completely. Lots of people end up doing degrees that are financially a bad decision.

Not to say doing a degree that doesn't lead to a lucrative career does not have value but I think too many parents and students don't consider it or don't have all the information.

Over the years I've hired 100s of people on different companies for different roles. Plenty of those roles absolutely required a degree. However plenty of them didn't and saw people at exactly rhe same level that had a mix of people with and without a degree.

Actually just thinking about it some of the better paid people I've employed have come through the apprenticeship route. Although invariably the best paid roles have come through university route.

On a side note pot noodle are a terrible choice. The little square packs of ramen noodles are much nicer and a fraction of tbe price. Teach him how to batch cook

"

Absolutely this, find out what the plan is for the chosen discipline and it's not just the course....the location counts too. I know people who have have degrees in marine biology and politics. Of course there is nothing wrong with those disciplines but the holders are back living in our village....not much scope for either in the Borderlands.

By *assy MissWoman
over a year ago

Sent to Coventry

"

Congratulations,how lovely Justifiably proud parents moment.

I’d take the same view as you. There’s plenty of time for the harsh realities of life.

Ive got no advice, i just wanted to comment x

over a year ago

The student rooms are a good place to get knowledge about the chosen University and the course from people who have already studied it.

My son used it to look up his University and found people who would be studying alongside him. When he got confirmation of his halls he was able to check who he would be sharing with, one guy messaged him prior and they remained best friends throughout their study

over a year ago

midlands

Congratulations,how lovely Justifiably proud parents moment.

I’d take the same view as you. There’s plenty of time for the harsh realities of life.

Ive got no advice, i just wanted to comment x "

Thanks xxxxx

over a year ago

Sunderland

"

Absolutely this, find out what the plan is for the chosen discipline and it's not just the course....the location counts too. I know people who have have degrees in marine biology and politics. Of course there is nothing wrong with those disciplines but the holders are back living in our village....not much scope for either in the Borderlands."

Thats a really good. And the actual university matters in some cases as well.

In STEM for instance where you get your degree is of certain value but once you're a year or two beyond graduation it's all about your actual experience.

However with friends who did law and business it still seems to carry a lot of weight having gone to a Russel group university.

Unfortunately not all degrees in the same discipline are created equal.

over a year ago

"

Absolutely this, find out what the plan is for the chosen discipline and it's not just the course....the location counts too. I know people who have have degrees in marine biology and politics. Of course there is nothing wrong with those disciplines but the holders are back living in our village....not much scope for either in the Borderlands.

In STEM for instance where you get your degree is of certain value but once you're a year or two beyond graduation it's all about your actual experience.

However with friends who did law and business it still seems to carry a lot of weight having gone to a Russel group university.

Unfortunately not all degrees in the same discipline are created equal. "

Yep and I think this is where some of the issues lies, people don't do the knowledge bit, not all degrees of the same discipline is credible.

My son studied game development and maths at Abertay in Dundee. He did his research and discovered that Abertay was the best in Europe for his field and Scotland was the place to be in terms of gaming despite it being 7 hours north of us. People thought he was crazy, horrible comments of 'slight overkill to flip burgers' it was upsetting but I knew what they meant.

But he now works in Edinburgh for one of the most prestigious men in the gaming world, 4 years down and he is a manager of the scripting team....He also mentors at Abertay and Edinburgh University and recently invited back to Abertay as an industry professional to have the students showcase their work and scope the talent which is exactly how he got spotted so it is true, companies do have links to the credible universities

People probably get sick of me 'banging on' but that's tough, he's worked hard for everything he has had, we're not wealthy by any means and we live in an area which is classed as 'in need' so the odds were against him, but it does show that with planning, hard work success is achievable.

over a year ago

Sunderland

"

Unfortunately not all degrees in the same discipline are created equal.

Yep and I think this is where some of the issues lies, people don't do the knowledge bit, not all degrees of the same discipline is credible.

My son studied game development and maths at Abertay in Dundee. He did his research and discovered that Abertay was the best in Europe for his field and Scotland was the place to be in terms of gaming despite it being 7 hours north of us. People thought he was crazy, horrible comments of 'slight overkill to flip burgers' it was upsetting but I knew what they meant.

But he now works in Edinburgh for one of the most prestigious men in the gaming world, 4 years down and he is a manager of the scripting team....He also mentors at Abertay and Edinburgh University and recently invited back to Abertay as an industry professional to have the students showcase their work and scope the talent which is exactly how he got spotted so it is true, companies do have links to the credible universities

People probably get sick of me 'banging on' but that's tough, he's worked hard for everything he has had, we're not wealthy by any means and we live in an area which is classed as 'in need' so the odds were against him, but it does show that with planning, hard work success is achievable."

Thats fantastic to hear and well done to your son.

Although I would say he's not in the majority. I do lots of talks in schools about careers in STEM and it's crazy how often kids getting ready to go to university have no idea why they have preferred universities or what eventual careers it could lead to.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Congratulations to your child, this year has been difficult for many.

Some will question the cost, but some go to uni because of the joy of learning not financial gains. So don't be put off by those who say about value for money.

Some kids will have an easy ride, they happen to choose a career that is easily signposted and others won't. It doesn't mean they reached their career better than the other, they're just different paths. And they may change their minds, I did. I went and did a degree that was career based, got a job before I completed my degree. But I decided it wasn't for me and I was more academically intelligent than I thought and went to do a PhD instead. How many of us genuinely knew everything at 18?

As for reducing costs, not sure of the subject area. But online text books instead of physically buying ones. Try not to keep up with the Jones, students have newer phones, laptops, clothes etc than I do.

Depending on subject area, I wouldn't necessarily advocate part time jobs. After uni it's becoming more difficult to get a job, if they can scrape by without a job they'd be better off gaining work placement and experience for their CVs. Which is a long term gain but can make of break a decision at interview.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

“Some will question the cost, but some go to uni because of the joy of learning not financial gains. So don't be put off by those who say about value for money”

And not forgetting some jobs require a specific degree to get into a certain field anyway. Guess people forget that in the haste to humble brag

By *elkieWoman
over a year ago

Durham

It’s a bit late for 90% of my advice, but: look at costings when choosing a university. My kid chose Huddersfield over Edge Hill solely because rent was £50 a week cheaper. Also look at what is included at their halls - my kids had everything except a slow cooker and food storage containers. I also take on board what the other person said about university reputation, but you do also have to be happy there.

Teach budgeting and that it is more important to stick to it than keep up with your friends. I know some of Durham’s students don’t have budgets, the bank of mum and dad clears their credit card at the end of the month - you can’t keep pace with people like these on a night out and you shouldn’t try. I’m not sure it’s a kindness either. My kid and his girlfriend both ended up saving part of their student loans every year and now have their deposit for their first house ready for when he finishes his masters.

Make sure he can cook, and well.

Insurance, especially on bikes. TV licence? Keep them on the family netflix?

Jump into organised fun during freshers week. You’ll meet people you can get on with.

Send them with the bare essentials. There was a hall trip to IKEA, which was a big deal choosing and budgeting their own stuff.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

No advice as mine are still wee sproglets, but I just wanted to wish you well. As parents you must be nervous, excited and a wee bit apprehensive.

I hope he has an excellent time.

By *elkieWoman
over a year ago

Durham

I’m very serious about the cooking, by the way. Being able to get dinner on the table for eight people was really good for his social life.

over a year ago

Sunderland

"I’m very serious about the cooking, by the way. Being able to get dinner on the table for eight people was really good for his social life. "

100% this. Being able to knock up a meal from random ingredients was as important as actually learning engineering.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"I’m very serious about the cooking, by the way. Being able to get dinner on the table for eight people was really good for his social life. "

Definitely we used to have one night a week, where we took it in turns to make a meal for us all. Have awesome memories decades after because of them

over a year ago

Thanks.

You can't and you can't.

It is after all his life "

You're going out of your way to be unhelpful. What's the point?

over a year ago

"It’s a bit late for 90% of my advice, but: look at costings when choosing a university. My kid chose Huddersfield over Edge Hill solely because rent was £50 a week cheaper. Also look at what is included at their halls - my kids had everything except a slow cooker and food storage containers. I also take on board what the other person said about university reputation, but you do also have to be happy there.

Teach budgeting and that it is more important to stick to it than keep up with your friends. I know some of Durham’s students don’t have budgets, the bank of mum and dad clears their credit card at the end of the month - you can’t keep pace with people like these on a night out and you shouldn’t try. I’m not sure it’s a kindness either. My kid and his girlfriend both ended up saving part of their student loans every year and now have their deposit for their first house ready for when he finishes his masters.

Make sure he can cook, and well.

Insurance, especially on bikes. TV licence? Keep them on the family netflix?

Jump into organised fun during freshers week. You’ll meet people you can get on with.

Send them with the bare essentials. There was a hall trip to IKEA, which was a big deal choosing and budgeting their own stuff.

"

This is amazing advice

I fumbled my way through uni as a mature student so I have nothing to add as I wasn't prepared in the slightest but thankfully my parents helped me alot.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Tell him to make sure he attends the Freshers fair, you'll get vouchers for all sorts of free stuff and discounts.

Also to join societies, if he doesn't get along with his new flat mates (does happen) it gives him another avenue to socialise.

over a year ago

midlands

Thanks.

You can't and you can't.

It is after all his life

You're going out of your way to be unhelpful. What's the point?"

That person is all doom and gloom.

over a year ago

midlands

"No advice as mine are still wee sproglets, but I just wanted to wish you well. As parents you must be nervous, excited and a wee bit apprehensive.

I hope he has an excellent time.

"

Thanks for the nice comments.

Nervous but im sure he will do well and gets to see the bigger picture.

Post new Message to Thread