Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Bragging

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Some people feel the need to brag about what they have. Expensive car, big house, etc etc.

Some people have those things but don't feel the need to draw attention to them.

Are the braggers insecure? Do people really care about 'things' more than actual people? Why do people feel the need to get so horribly into debt at xmas/ other times of year, just to try to appear to be something they aren't?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Probably because they are trying to fulfill their emotional needs by 'quick hits' of material things they don't particulary need.

over a year ago

I think alot of people buying is due to being jelous of what there friends have..

over a year ago

As I have said before, money does not buy sophistication, grace or style.

Perhaps there is a certain amount of elitism in those who brag. Perhaps they feel the need to elevate themselves above the others in order to make themselves feel good.

Who knows?

over a year ago

"Some people feel the need to brag about what they have. Expensive car, big house, etc etc.

Some people have those things but don't feel the need to draw attention to them.

Are the braggers insecure? Do people really care about 'things' more than actual people? Why do people feel the need to get so horribly into debt at xmas/ other times of year, just to try to appear to be something they aren't?

"

True...

True...

Some are...

Some do...

Personal choice....

Each to their own....

over a year ago

I used to be very much like that. The reason I used to do it was I thought it looked good to the people around me. It made me feel like I had the admiration of my peers.

However I have since grown up and realised I'm not really that bothered. The people that matter will like you for who you are, not how well you appear to have done at the ratrace of life.

Xxx

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

I don't think it's insecurity, it's just another personality trait.

It's just the way some people are

over a year ago

theres a lot of very wealthy people where we live only to look at them when they are out walking their dogs you would never know as they are so ordinary down to earth and friendly.

then theres some middle classed or working class people who are always bragging about everything and who look down their noses at you.

as for getting into debt at christmas

i dont see the point, people worry too much about their kids having everything they want, trouble is when their kids grow up they wont be able to cope so well, especialy if they cant get a job

and what happens if their parents fall on hard times and cant always help them out.

when i was a kid i used to get excited about just getting a book for christmas.

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

We were so poor in our house when I was young, that on xmas morning, if you didn't have a hard - on you had fook all to play with.

over a year ago

" We were so poor in our house when I was young, that on xmas morning, if you didn't have a hard - on you had fook all to play with. "

poor barry.

over a year ago

Growing up, I was surrounded by my extended family, and some of them would brag constantly about their wealth. In the end, they were the first to lose their fortunes through excesses.

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

This thread brought to mind the Harry Enfield characters Stan and Pam Herbert who would brag to anyone who would listen, in their rich Black Country accents...."We are considerably more richer than yow!". There was also Loadsamoney. Brought a chuckle remembering them them this morning.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

if they have worked hard and achieved, the fact that they mention what their endeavours have bought doesn't bother me in the slightest. I read the car & holiday threads and think wow.... nice car or great location and hope they enjoy it.

I truly have no idea of the sacrifices that they may have made to aid their successes, there will be many.

Inverted snobbery is at a greater level than the reverse...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't think it's as easy as insecurity. You only need to watch TV for an hour to get subliminally told that possessions are good and having very little is bad. This country runs economically on people buying things and consumerism is encouraged therefore people equate having things with esteem. Some people I should say, I don't care enough about stuff I'm afraid.

over a year ago

"if they have worked hard and achieved, the fact that they mention what their endeavours have bought doesn't bother me in the slightest. I read the car & holiday threads and think wow.... nice car or great location and hope they enjoy it.

I truly have no idea of the sacrifices that they may have made to aid their successes, there will be many.

Inverted snobbery is at a greater level than the reverse..."

I have an 'inverted snobbery' t-shirt. £2.99 off the indoor market. And matching 'judgemental grumpy cow' granny knickers, bargain 50p.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"if they have worked hard and achieved, the fact that they mention what their endeavours have bought doesn't bother me in the slightest. I read the car & holiday threads and think wow.... nice car or great location and hope they enjoy it.

I have an 'inverted snobbery' t-shirt. £2.99 off the indoor market. And matching 'judgemental grumpy cow' granny knickers, bargain 50p. "

over a year ago

A mate I went to school with is now on paper a millionaire. He has so so worked for it though. When we all go out though he is just one of the lads. He never ever brags and I admire him for that

over a year ago

From experience, when we have come into contact with blow hards and braggers, we have found that the ones boasting have got all their trappings on plastic and owe most of their stuff on finance, so it's genuinely theirs.

We haven't got a lot but it's all bought and paid for.

over a year ago

I have an 'inverted snobbery' t-shirt. £2.99 off the indoor market. And matching 'judgemental grumpy cow' granny knickers, bargain 50p. "

When I get time later I am going to design an Inverted Shrubbery t-shirt and get it printed.

over a year ago

I think that it could be linked to pride. Proud of the things they have worked hard for or achieved in life. Ok for some people it will just be the need to shove it in people faces with the 'I have better than you' attitude but imagine if somebody grew up with nothing and worked hard for years to get to a better place or get better things. They're bound to be proud and want to show off what they have.

over a year ago

"From experience, when we have come into contact with blow hards and braggers, we have found that the ones boasting have got all their trappings on plastic and owe most of their stuff on finance, so it's genuinely theirs.

We haven't got a lot but it's all bought and paid for."

*so its NOT genuinely theirs*

over a year ago

Just be glad, in a way, that such folks exist, as it can make those of us who can actually think for themselves (and not be sheep) feel a bit better

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"A mate I went to school with is now on paper a millionaire. He has so so worked for it though. When we all go out though he is just one of the lads. He never ever brags and I admire him for that"

Being a millionaire on paper isn't that hard nowadays.

A half decent sized home in an OK area will take some folk quite a way towards £1M on paper.

The Sunday Times Rich List only really takes account of 'stuff' and ignores money in the bank.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

No relation

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Time immemorial.

Fred brought home bigger Dino Steaks than Barney ..... simple as... he was the alpha male.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I know someone whose very wealthy, but on a day to day basis you would never know. They where things they buy of ebay ect. Its only when they are going somewhere that you can tell.

There are those that break there neck to tell you everything they have, i know these sort of people as well. If someone has worked hard for what they have good luck to them, however some brag because they think it will gain friendship, which sadly it doesnt, just hangers on

over a year ago

""Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is""

Never a truer word spoken.....

Never have understood jealousy. Horrible personality trait

By *eeriseWoman
over a year ago

Manchester and that's all you need to know

I couldn't give a rat's behind what anyone has

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

"Some people feel the need to brag about what they have. Expensive car, big house, etc etc.

"

Haha how funny i was tempted to post on the same subject yesterday about bragging. I have seen many posts on here where peeeps want to tell everyone about stuff they have. Unfortunatly our society places huge emphasis on what we have rather than who we are. Of course that outlook on our lives, the planet we live on and the never ending ininite universe has no majesty in it. It does however make a few people rich and keeps the wheels of capatilism in motion

over a year ago

Inverted snobbery is at a greater level than the reverse..."

Very true

over a year ago

"

Don't understand it myself.

(Posted from my £3000 laptop, while sitting in my solid gold bathtub, eating caviar served by my butler)

over a year ago

(Posted from my £3000 laptop, while sitting in my solid gold bathtub, eating caviar served by my butler)

"

I am not a butler

over a year ago

I am not a butler "

Fetch me some champers, please darling.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

[Removed by poster at 25/11/12 12:57:34]

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I see it more in the reverse on here if I am honest, the anti use of the word 'professional' brigade, the haters of reality TV and the damming of people who watch it from superior beings..

over a year ago

I don't give a flying monkey what people have/don't have! To be honest, if they have worked hard for it then good for them!

over a year ago

I have a cool £1,000,000 on paper! It comes in the from of my home and contents insurance, apparently it's a bog standard figure now a days!

over a year ago

"I don't give a flying monkey what people have/don't have! To be honest, if they have worked hard for it then good for them! "

We're so wealthy that we have our own zoo of flying monkeys.

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

"I don't think it's as easy as insecurity. You only need to watch TV for an hour to get subliminally told that possessions are good and having very little is bad. This country runs economically on people buying things and consumerism is encouraged therefore people equate having things with esteem. Some people I should say, I don't care enough about stuff I'm afraid. "
I agree its not as simple as insecurity. People are constantly bombarded that our reality is all about money and what we can purchase. Its understandable that people have their whole sense of self and their status wrapped up in "things." Telling others about what you have although in my _iew is a bit sad, it seems more about receiving some affirmation that you are a success and that you are doing the right thing with your life. The capatilist system and the way the world operates is about as unimaginative as you could possibly get. I think it also stops people from reaching their real potential and the evolution of the human race

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Im the poor relation in our family lol

over a year ago

"Im the poor relation in our family lol"

Bollocks! You're rich in my eyes. You have a great son, great friends, a lovely bloke and better than that your bloke doesn't live with you!!

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

I dont have an awful lot, just a son and 4 cats.

Getting in debt at Christmas though, especially for children, I can understand. Bullies seem to be worse than ever at school these days if your child/children haven't got the latest phone/trainers/ipod etc and when you have the childs father with a good job, buying every latest game console, ipad, tv etc, he feels disappointed when he comes to me. It feels as though his dad is buying my sons love and its working. Try to explain that money and the latest gadgets aren't important, that love, good health and a safe, clean home is more important, but he's having none of it.

over a year ago

"I dont have an awful lot, just a son and 4 cats.

Getting in debt at Christmas though, especially for children, I can understand. Bullies seem to be worse than ever at school these days if your child/children haven't got the latest phone/trainers/ipod etc and when you have the childs father with a good job, buying every latest game console, ipad, tv etc, he feels disappointed when he comes to me. It feels as though his dad is buying my sons love and its working. Try to explain that money and the latest gadgets aren't important, that love, good health and a safe, clean home is more important, but he's having none of it. "

Thats awful. His dad is buying his love but when he gets older he will love you the same for being kind and always being there for him.

over a year ago

Deviant City

Getting in debt at Christmas though, especially for children, I can understand. Bullies seem to be worse than ever at school these days if your child/children haven't got the latest phone/trainers/ipod etc and when you have the childs father with a good job, buying every latest game console, ipad, tv etc, he feels disappointed when he comes to me. It feels as though his dad is buying my sons love and its working. Try to explain that money and the latest gadgets aren't important, that love, good health and a safe, clean home is more important, but he's having none of it.

Thats awful. His dad is buying his love but when he gets older he will love you the same for being kind and always being there for him.

"

I do try, but it breaks my heart that he doesn't appreciate what I do for him sometimes.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Im the poor relation in our family lol

Bollocks! You're rich in my eyes. You have a great son, great friends, a lovely bloke and better than that your bloke doesn't live with you!! "

I know its just a tease i say too them lol

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

Getting in debt at Christmas though, especially for children, I can understand. Bullies seem to be worse than ever at school these days if your child/children haven't got the latest phone/trainers/ipod etc and when you have the childs father with a good job, buying every latest game console, ipad, tv etc, he feels disappointed when he comes to me. It feels as though his dad is buying my sons love and its working. Try to explain that money and the latest gadgets aren't important, that love, good health and a safe, clean home is more important, but he's having none of it. "

You just raised a brilliant but for me a heart breaking point. At what young age are children brain washed by marketing and advertising ?

over a year ago

I do try, but it breaks my heart that he doesn't appreciate what I do for him sometimes. "

i know it hurts. when my son was born i had to leave home, didnt have much money. my older sister who made my life a misery when i was living at home with my baby used to take him out a lot and realy spoil him.

she could afford to because she never left home.

only now my sons grown up he doesnt get on with his auntie anyway.

over a year ago

"You just raised a brilliant but for me a heart breaking point. At what young age are children brain washed by marketing and advertising ? "

Too early - about 4 for our son. That why we have put our foot down last year and this year and limited the amount of stuff we let people buy him.

He is an only child so we are very wary of him being "spoilt" so it is one main present from us, one smaller one and some fun bits in his stocking. And we don't let anyone else spoil him either. And we always make him choose some toys that he doesn't play with after xmas/birthdays to give to the "little boys and girls who don't have as much."

People may disagree but we think if he gets too much he won't appreciate what he does get and expect it all the time. And if we can drill an awareness of how lucky his is compared to others into him at the same time so much the better.

Just our attempt at good parenting though.

over a year ago

"You just raised a brilliant but for me a heart breaking point. At what young age are children brain washed by marketing and advertising ?

Too early - about 4 for our son. That why we have put our foot down last year and this year and limited the amount of stuff we let people buy him.

He is an only child so we are very wary of him being "spoilt" so it is one main present from us, one smaller one and some fun bits in his stocking. And we don't let anyone else spoil him either. And we always make him choose some toys that he doesn't play with after xmas/birthdays to give to the "little boys and girls who don't have as much."

People may disagree but we think if he gets too much he won't appreciate what he does get and expect it all the time. And if we can drill an awareness of how lucky his is compared to others into him at the same time so much the better.

Just our attempt at good parenting though."

We have a lot of relatives that want to buy things at xmas. Last year I asked them to make a donation to a children's charity of their choice on his behalf. (I asked him first if it was ok to not get toys and he was fine with it.)

He was happy.

over a year ago

"

Bragger s are just so boring. They have no idea, we run a mile from these types.

over a year ago

My youngest is 6 and still believes in Santa so it's quite difficult to try and explain about how much things cost. But last year I sat him down and explained that Santa has soo many boys and girls to buy for that he can only give each child 1 gift. But Mummy's and Daddy's and Aunts uncles etc can buy gifts as well.

This has worked out quite well.

As far as the lady who talks about her ex buying his love I have a somewhat similar situation. My ex husband and I have 3 kids. 1 who is at uni, 1 who is at college and the little one. He has paid me NO maintenance since we split up 3 years ago. He takes my son every weekend and takes him off out here there and everywhere. Last year he bought a boat and took him out every weekend during the summer. I was worried that K would always look back and see that all his fun times were with Daddy and all Mummy ever did was make him go to bed early, get up for school, do his homework and eat his veg I was talking to the older kids about it and they said No mum when he's older he will look back and know that you gave him unconditional love and your undivided attention. And he will know that you sometimes struggled to pay the mortgage and feed and clothe him and he'll know that his dad made no attempt to help you.

Wise kids I have and I believe what they say. All a kid needs is to feel loved and I'm sure you are doing a grand job honey xxx

over a year ago

"My youngest is 6 and still believes in Santa so it's quite difficult to try and explain about how much things cost. But last year I sat him down and explained that Santa has soo many boys and girls to buy for that he can only give each child 1 gift. But Mummy's and Daddy's and Aunts uncles etc can buy gifts as well.

This has worked out quite well.

As far as the lady who talks about her ex buying his love I have a somewhat similar situation. My ex husband and I have 3 kids. 1 who is at uni, 1 who is at college and the little one. He has paid me NO maintenance since we split up 3 years ago. He takes my son every weekend and takes him off out here there and everywhere. Last year he bought a boat and took him out every weekend during the summer. I was worried that K would always look back and see that all his fun times were with Daddy and all Mummy ever did was make him go to bed early, get up for school, do his homework and eat his veg I was talking to the older kids about it and they said No mum when he's older he will look back and know that you gave him unconditional love and your undivided attention. And he will know that you sometimes struggled to pay the mortgage and feed and clothe him and he'll know that his dad made no attempt to help you.

Wise kids I have and I believe what they say. All a kid needs is to feel loved and I'm sure you are doing a grand job honey xxx"

Also meant to say for his birthday last year K asked if he could sponser a dog from dogs trust - it cost me £2 a month and he gets updates thro the post - he even got a wee award at school for being the best caring and sharing child in his class - I was very proud of him.

Only prob is he now wants to sponsor snow leopards, wells, kids etc etc etc very hard to reign him in lol xx

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

There is a person on here who does have a tendency to brag and it's a very unpleasant personality trait. People who are confident and aware have no need to justify themselves in a material manner to anyone. When this person speaks of 'riches', it's always in a material money orientated way. At no point does this person ever mention family, friends, love and life in general. I pity that person.

over a year ago

"

A lot are envious of others but wont work to get there so going into debt is an easy now forget about later option.

over a year ago

Deviant City

I dont mind not having much money, its the ill health and being unable to work that bothers me.

My sister refuses to work and goes from partner to partner to live off them and benefits, not that really gets my back up.

I have another sis who is in debt upto her eyeballs because she has a new flsh car every 12 months, everything on finance and likes to throw money about. She says she doesnt want to look like a 'tramp' like I do!

over a year ago

there is a difference between bragging and talking about what you have got though.

i like it when people talk about what they have got and am pleased for them.

just dont like show offs much.

then we are all show offs sometimes though.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Every year before christmas, callum would sort out his old toys, pack them up and we would go to the volunteer bureau that gave to children who hadnt got anything. Every year they sent him a personal letter to thank him. You have to learn children to understand, he never went out and probley had more than some, but i also taught him there was those less fortunate than him

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I see it more in the reverse on here if I am honest, the anti use of the word 'professional' brigade, the haters of reality TV and the damming of people who watch it from superior beings..

"

I see it more like that as well, the spiteful envy of people who have done well for themselves is so apparent on here at times from certain quarters, I look at it a different way....people who have got off their arse and launched a singing or acting career (neither of which are easy to break into), or a footballer, they deserve whatever the going rate is for their endeavours.

Sometimes the vitriolic hatred shown for these individuals by some members (usually the same faces and their pals) on this forum is sickenly predictable.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

I've got a brand new combine harvester

over a year ago

"I've got a brand new combine harvester "

show off!

over a year ago

"I've got a brand new combine harvester "

Is that what's under your hand??

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"I've got a brand new combine harvester

Is that what's under your hand?? "

Nope, that's my 'ache-rs' you're meant to have 40 but I've only got the 2

over a year ago

People bragging about wealth/possessions doesn't bother me as it goes straight over my head. What does bother me is SEXUAL bragging. I recently read a post stating that she has sex three times a day. Really!

over a year ago

I may brag about being not bad a cook, that's about it.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"People bragging about wealth/possessions doesn't bother me as it goes straight over my head. What does bother me is SEXUAL bragging. I recently read a post stating that she has sex three times a day. Really! "

I read one by a single bloke on here saying he also had it 3 times a day - on a weekday !

Took me back to the days of Jackanory

over a year ago

"People bragging about wealth/possessions doesn't bother me as it goes straight over my head. What does bother me is SEXUAL bragging. I recently read a post stating that she has sex three times a day. Really! "

that realy is sad.

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

Some people do feel the need to mention the price of everything they own in conversation,its just not classy at all.

Money has never impressed me lack of it or having it. I never wanted designer clothes or belongings..

wish i had some sex to brag about tho LOL

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

sexual bragging on a swingers site....... I don't believe it, what the fuck next

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Theres bragging and bragging, i like it when someone says they have got something new because they are excited about it. But people that go on and on and dont realize that they are very fortunate and some people on here cant afford a pint of beer and they go on about materialistic possesions.

Thats cause i will be bragging about my christmas present when it arrives lol

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Wealth and status symbols like cars and holidays, homes and other belongings have never impressed me, whether inherited or acquired through hard work. At the end of the day you can surround yourself with all the trimmings and still be very lonely. It is people, family and friends that matter. Well, to me anyway.

Now that does not mean I would nt partial to yet another pair of heels...;-)

over a year ago

i dont have much.

and i dont want much. i go to work and after christmas will again put lots of things on ebay which i no longer want.

im just me, nothing special or flash and i dont want to try and be someone else.

only thing i'll be paying for soon is a new suit.

maybe boring but i dont care.the people i meet bring me enjoyment and thats all i need right now.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"i dont have much.

and i dont want much. i go to work and after christmas will again put lots of things on ebay which i no longer want.

im just me, nothing special or flash and i dont want to try and be someone else.

only thing i'll be paying for soon is a new suit.

maybe boring but i dont care.the people i meet bring me enjoyment and thats all i need right now."

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

" We were so poor in our house when I was young, that on xmas morning, if you didn't have a hard - on you had fook all to play with.

poor barry. "

Thank You

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

"Wealth and status symbols like cars and holidays, homes and other belongings have never impressed me, whether inherited or acquired through hard work. At the end of the day you can surround yourself with all the trimmings and still be very lonely. It is people, family and friends that matter. Well, to me anyway.

Now that does not mean I would nt partial to yet another pair of heels...;-) "

You are so right , apart from the shoes. I totter in heels but love boots

over a year ago

As Harry Enfield used to say "We are CONSIDERABLY richer than yow!". Not nice people on the whole.

Post new Message to Thread