Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Why give attention....

Jump to newest

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

to a post that seems offensive? I am wondering whether it would be better to ignore the posts rather than jumping on the band waggon and prolonging the life of what could turn into a nasty thread.

This is not aimed at anybody in particualr, just something that crossed my mind a few times recently.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I generally avoid antagonistic posts, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

over a year ago

They make me laugh quite a lot. AND you learn a lot about certain forumites.

over a year ago

"to a post that seems offensive? I am wondering whether it would be better to ignore the posts rather than jumping on the band waggon and prolonging the life of what could turn into a nasty thread.

This is not aimed at anybody in particualr, just something that crossed my mind a few times recently. "

I often think the same and try not to post, but sometimes just can't seem to help myself! It's like passing a car crash, you don't want to look but for some reason end up taking a peek as you pass...don't know why we do it to ourselves!

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I generally avoid antagonistic posts, but sometimes I just can't help myself. "
lol...I know what you mean, sometimes (and I have been guilty of that myself) you just feel the need to something that is wrong in your perception.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Benice and Goldilocks... I suppose we are all voyeurs to some degree. I get that and yeah, been there myself,lol. I think I ll try in future to resist the temptation to put the world right and stop posting after one comment.. remind me if I default, wont you

over a year ago

I do try and ignore and if it gets to a stage where the claws are really outed I'll leave a thread.

The phrase don't feed the trolls springs to mind.

Also it is a snowball affect, one person will post and will then lead others on to thinking well if such and such have, I can/will.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Sometimes not only what people say but how they say it can give one an insight into their way of thinking and so a bit about their character. I find some posts most illuminating insofar as some I wouldn't have expected that sort of point of _iew on a subject and be surprised and others I think 'omg how utterly vacuous and predictable'. But not you Aphrodite.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

It takes me a while to work out whether the poster is asking a genuine question or being an offensive douchebag, so I reply as if they're the former, not the latter.

over a year ago

Also it often becomes a group mentality, where posters are all agreeing (not withe the OP of course;-) and defending such and such...

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I do try and ignore and if it gets to a stage where the claws are really outed I'll leave a thread.

Also it is a snowball affect, one person will post and will then lead others on to thinking well if such and such have, I can/will."

You are right about one thing leads to another and then the whole escalates and turns sour. There is something about human nature that fuels the need to defend those that seem vulnerable or are under perceived attack and I guess that is a nice quality in people.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Passes the time. Plus it's fun to watch the op come back and dig more of a hole haha

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"It takes me a while to work out whether the poster is asking a genuine question or being an offensive douchebag, so I reply as if they're the former, not the latter."
Me too, I usually give the benefit of the doubt to begin with and I also realise that sometimes the intention is good just a poor choice of words.

over a year ago

this freedom of speech malarky.. not known to be a fence sitter so every now and then i'll say my piece.

I would say ive gotten better with biting my lip and just keeping hush hush but if some idiot can post a _iew i just reply with a reasoned response

over a year ago

If everybody ignored the offensive posts, ie one recently that stated '90% of you on here fuck single guys that are way out your league', then they would think they were right. Nothing like a good 'debate' either

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Sometimes not only what people say but how they say it can give one an insight into their way of thinking and so a bit about their character. I find some posts most illuminating insofar as some I wouldn't have expected that sort of point of _iew on a subject and be surprised and others I think 'omg how utterly vacuous and predictable'. But not you Aphrodite. "
And there was I thinking... he finally sussed me out for being blonde

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"If everybody ignored the offensive posts, ie one recently that stated '90% of you on here fuck single guys that are way out your league', then they would think they were right. Nothing like a good 'debate' either "
That made me chuckle.. Do you not think that if a thread got no ore few responses that is a sign that people are not interested? I have posted some that got no reply and I just assumed it was not in fabster's interest.

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

"to a post that seems offensive? I am wondering whether it would be better to ignore the posts rather than jumping on the band waggon and prolonging the life of what could turn into a nasty thread.

This is not aimed at anybody in particualr, just something that crossed my mind a few times recently. "

Have often thot that as these threads get out of control not so much because of the op but more down to the argumentative posts following.....i think some people just love arguing ...personally I tend just to lurk in the background and people watch

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

i try to leave these types of threads well alone,very occasionaly i will put my twopennorth in but mostly not,they can get quite nasty

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"this freedom of speech malarky.. not known to be a fence sitter so every now and then i'll say my piece.

I would say ive gotten better with biting my lip and just keeping hush hush but if some idiot can post a _iew i just reply with a reasoned response "

And you do tend to present well thought out and not aggressive posts. When I first saw you on here (You will hate me for saying this as it could sound really patronising..) I thought you were too young to be so sensible. No offense intended.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

This is not aimed at anybody in particualr, just something that crossed my mind a few times recently.

Have often thot that as these threads get out of control not so much because of the op but more down to the argumentative posts following.....i think some people just love arguing ...personally I tend just to lurk in the background and people watch "

You can come and watch me anytime

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"i try to leave these types of threads well alone,very occasionaly i will put my twopennorth in but mostly not,they can get quite nasty"
Thats what I mean... and then t is best to not prolong the agony or give more attention to the potentially nasty parts of the thread.

over a year ago

"Also it often becomes a group mentality, where posters are all agreeing (not withe the OP of course;-) and defending such and such..."
..Very true

over a year ago

I dont know whether some people just have low self esteem so while they are slagging off others its momentarily making them feel better.

over a year ago

"this freedom of speech malarky.. not known to be a fence sitter so every now and then i'll say my piece.

I would say ive gotten better with biting my lip and just keeping hush hush but if some idiot can post a _iew i just reply with a reasoned response And you do tend to present well thought out and not aggressive posts. When I first saw you on here (You will hate me for saying this as it could sound really patronising..) I thought you were too young to be so sensible. No offense intended. "

lol non was taken, made me smile actually. When i was even younger and id act immature, when folk would say grow up and act your age i always used to think 'how is a 21yr old supposed to act'

just using 21 as an example, that can relate to any age. I just want the idiots guide to 'acting your age' lol

over a year ago

"If everybody ignored the offensive posts, ie one recently that stated '90% of you on here fuck single guys that are way out your league', then they would think they were right. Nothing like a good 'debate' either That made me chuckle.. Do you not think that if a thread got no ore few responses that is a sign that people are not interested? I have posted some that got no reply and I just assumed it was not in fabster's interest.

"

Yes I wont be forgetting that one in a hurry and I doubt a lot of others will either. Don't think it's because they aren't interested. Sometimes it is just timing. You can post something once and get no interest, put it on again a few hours later and get replies. A catchy heading helps I think!

By *coobyroo218Couple
over a year ago

Guernsey

When in a forum situation you are anyone you want to be.

People say things that they would NEVER say to anyone's face, "Keyboard warriors" is the term, see it on every forum I am on and they soon come to fall

over a year ago

over a year ago

"I generally avoid antagonistic posts, but sometimes I just can't help myself. lol...I know what you mean, sometimes (and I have been guilty of that myself) you just feel the need to something that is wrong in your perception. "

I think sometimes it depends on how calm and tranquil I'm feeling before I read something

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Whoever said "don't feed the trolls" was right.

over a year ago

I think there is a lot of back biting and people being defensive, taking things the wrong way of late.

I think it might be to do with the weather, makes people more miserable.

over a year ago

"Whoever said "don't feed the trolls" was right. "

Me

over a year ago

Some people will post offensive things just to get a reaction or even some attention. In all walks of life people like to wind up others. Don't give them fuel for the fire the faster it burns itself out the better.

over a year ago

I love a knight in shining armour.

over a year ago

"I dont know whether some people just have low self esteem so while they are slagging off others its momentarily making them feel better. "

i believe you are very close to the truth of it all.

over a year ago

I wanted to know if a certain posters theory on tits worked on cocks... unfortunately it wasn't the guy posting lol!

By *coobyroo218Couple
over a year ago

Guernsey

"I wanted to know if a certain posters theory on tits worked on cocks... unfortunately it wasn't the guy posting lol!

"

Good get out though

over a year ago

I do tent to read such posts but avoid adding my two-penneth...

over a year ago

"I wanted to know if a certain posters theory on tits worked on cocks... unfortunately it wasn't the guy posting lol!

Good get out though "

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

Well they also tend to be the threads that end up getting closed by the mods as inappropriate or inflammatory!

over a year ago

Good get out though "

I'm not just a pretty face

By *coobyroo218Couple
over a year ago

Guernsey

Good get out though

I'm not just a pretty face "

over a year ago

Just lately it depends on what mood I'm in. But I used to challenged anything I thought was offensive or bullying behaviour to others. It doesn't have to be aimed at me and I am not trying to stick up for people, but I don't like people unnecessarily taking the rise out of others

over a year ago

If I think someone is being picked on/ misunderstood I tend to wade in and defend them if loads of people are being rude/ taking the piss. I hate bullying. There's a fine line between people 'stating their own opinions' and slagging someone off for having different opinions.

If an OP is blatantly after a fight I just leave that kind of thread alone. Don't need the hassle.

over a year ago

"I do try and ignore and if it gets to a stage where the claws are really outed I'll leave a thread.

Also it is a snowball affect, one person will post and will then lead others on to thinking well if such and such have, I can/will."

Hehe. I think she said 'snowball'. Titter.

M

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

[Removed by poster at 24/11/12 18:02:51]

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Its good entertainment value, has me in stitches half the time

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

[Removed by poster at 24/11/12 18:02:56]

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

sometimes I react but on the whole, I know & accept what I do.

I would be a hypocrite to say otherwise

over a year ago

i use to do that for fun but people started to get the wrong idea about me.

and to be honest i dont see the point so if someone posts something i dont like or its about me i just block them and think about how weak they are

over a year ago

I usually and refrain from posting, however, from time to time, the cannot resist.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"If I think someone is being picked on/ misunderstood I tend to wade in and defend them if loads of people are being rude/ taking the piss. I hate bullying. "
Me too.

By *orkieMan
over a year ago

Who knows

"AND you learn a lot about certain forumites."

Tend to agree with this having lurked on the forums for longer than I have posted, can also spot when someone is having a "veiled dig" at someone else

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"AND you learn a lot about certain forumites.

Tend to agree with this having lurked on the forums for longer than I have posted, can also spot when someone is having a "veiled dig" at someone else "

but to be honest, this thread is full of them

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

Have often thot that as these threads get out of control not so much because of the op but more down to the argumentative posts following.....i think some people just love arguing ...personally I tend just to lurk in the background and people watch You can come and watch me anytime "

Just watch ?

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Have often thot that as these threads get out of control not so much because of the op but more down to the argumentative posts following.....i think some people just love arguing ...personally I tend just to lurk in the background and people watch You can come and watch me anytime

Just watch ? "

Well, I might need a hand...;-)

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

Have often thot that as these threads get out of control not so much because of the op but more down to the argumentative posts following.....i think some people just love arguing ...personally I tend just to lurk in the background and people watch You can come and watch me anytime

Just watch ? Well, I might need a hand...;-)"

weyhey i can help there i got 2 hands

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Just watch ? Well, I might need a hand...;-)

weyhey i can help there i got 2 hands "

Haha... can I be greedy?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Oh no they weren't

over a year ago

"Whoever said "don't feed the trolls" was right.

Oh no they weren't"

Got your goat?

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Oh no they weren't"

Oh yes they were.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Oh no they weren't

Oh yes they were."

Have you not learnt not to argue with Granny ....;-)

over a year ago

Oh no they weren't

Oh yes they were.

Have you not learnt not to argue with Granny ....;-)"

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

Just watch ? Well, I might need a hand...;-)

weyhey i can help there i got 2 hands Haha... can I be greedy? "

Greed is goooood.....i'm all for the 7 deadly sins

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Sometimes I ignore trolls but sometimes I will play with them for a while to see what sport can be had.

By trolling in the first place you show weakness so it's quite easy to manipulate someone who can only make snide comments.

Having said that if you have the will power to ignore them it can be more rewarding watching them get ever more desperate for a bite.

over a year ago

"Sometimes I ignore trolls but sometimes I will play with them for a while to see what sport can be had.

By trolling in the first place you show weakness so it's quite easy to manipulate someone who can only make snide comments.

Having said that if you have the will power to ignore them it can be more rewarding watching them get ever more desperate for a bite. "

u r sooo norty

over a year ago

i dont think alot of these people are trolls.. trolls are people who post in the intention of causing offence.. there are alot of people who just have that bad attitude towards a site like this and the people on it.. and thats when i put my twopence in as these people need to be educated..

over a year ago

"i dont think alot of these people are trolls.. trolls are people who post in the intention of causing offence.. there are alot of people who just have that bad attitude towards a site like this and the people on it.. and thats when i put my twopence in as these people need to be educated.. "

Post new Message to Thread