Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

€973bn!!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is the amount the Euro Pres, Herman Van Rompuy, wants for the next 7-year Euro budget. And here's what he wants it for:

~

Cohesion: €309.5bn

Funding for countries and regions that are economically lagging behind other member states. Includes the European Social Fund.

~

Competitiveness and Growth: €152.6bn

Supports research and development, promotes sustainable energy and tries to improve training.

~

Common Agricultural Policy: €270bn

Aid for farmers around the EU - helps maintain rural communities.

~

Administration: €62.6bn

Funds EU institutions. Pays pensions to former EU staff and provides schools for the children of EU staff.

~

Rural development and fisheries: €94.5bn

Helps to diversify economic activities in rural areas. Funds also given to environmental projects and support for fishing communities.

~

EU as a global player: €18.3bn

Includes providing development aid to non-EU countries and assisting countries that want to join.

~

It's the bit about providing schools for the children of EU staff that's got me puzzled. Does this small army of bureaucrats relocate their entire families to Brussels and it costs BILLIONS to educate them?

It sure seems like someone's getting backhanders somewhere along the way and it's being accounted for by paying £500 for a hammer or £300 for a box of nails.

Cameron should tell them to fuck off.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Cameron should tell them to fuck off."

He won't though being the spineless Hooray-Henry that he is.....

over a year ago

Well he must have said something as it's being reported that it's looking likely that an agreement won't be reached. Quite how that works I'm not sure of as Euroland has to have a budget ratified one way or another.

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

I hadn't thought of it that way, but I guess the answer is yes, the EU would pay to relocate a persons family to near the place they work, just like any other business would. The question then is, do these families integrate with the people whom live in for example Strasborg and the EU pay "compensation" to the local/national government to pay for the education of the kids or do they have there own educations system probably costing more money, the answer of which I don't know.

It's an interesting conundrum that the EU face, on a national level many EU countries are facing severe financial cuts affecting services and lifestyle, whether that be the well known cases like Greece, Spain and Ireland, but also our own country, while the EU glibbly states it needs 10% more money, I wonder just how many cutbacks have been imposed at EU level and what the likes of Angela Merkl are doing to impose them.

over a year ago

"Is the amount the Euro Pres, Herman Van Rompuy, wants for the next 7-year Euro budget. And here's what he wants it for:

~

Cohesion: €309.5bn

Funding for countries and regions that are economically lagging behind other member states. Includes the European Social Fund.

~

Competitiveness and Growth: €152.6bn

Supports research and development, promotes sustainable energy and tries to improve training.

~

Common Agricultural Policy: €270bn

Aid for farmers around the EU - helps maintain rural communities.

~

Administration: €62.6bn

Funds EU institutions. Pays pensions to former EU staff and provides schools for the children of EU staff.

~

Rural development and fisheries: €94.5bn

Helps to diversify economic activities in rural areas. Funds also given to environmental projects and support for fishing communities.

~

EU as a global player: €18.3bn

Includes providing development aid to non-EU countries and assisting countries that want to join.

~

It's the bit about providing schools for the children of EU staff that's got me puzzled. Does this small army of bureaucrats relocate their entire families to Brussels and it costs BILLIONS to educate them?

It sure seems like someone's getting backhanders somewhere along the way and it's being accounted for by paying £500 for a hammer or £300 for a box of nails.

Cameron should tell them to fuck off.So the answer is we become a little independent Island of no real stategic importance? The OECD estimated that 1m jobs in the UK could be put at risk by a unilateral withdrawal from the EU.

Surely its better to stay in and fight for change?

Also the traty of Rome prohibits armed conflict between member states.....1914 and 1939.......just a thought!

"

over a year ago

"Well he must have said something as it's being reported that it's looking likely that an agreement won't be reached. Quite how that works I'm not sure of as Euroland has to have a budget ratified one way or another."

Pity they're not so keen to have their accounts ratified....

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

whew I thought that was the running total of McAlpines compo

over a year ago

"So the answer is we become a little independent Island of no real stategic importance? The OECD estimated that 1m jobs in the UK could be put at risk by a unilateral withdrawal from the EU.

Surely its better to stay in and fight for change?

Also the traty of Rome prohibits armed conflict between member states.....1914 and 1939.......just a thought!

"

No, I'm not advocating armed conflict but I think we run a dangerous risk of thinking it won't ever happen again. All it would take is a number of smaller member states to feel that the bigger ones (ie Germany) are pushing their weight around a little too much a little too often and to 'stabilise' the Euro the big boys would start pushing a bit harder. Hypothetically.

I'm never fully trusting that a treaty will be honoured for the simple reason that we've had treaties torn up and replaced before.

My reference to Cameron telling them to fuck off was tongue in cheek, but with a serious sentiment behind it - I personally believe we should tell Europe how much we're going to give, and not be told by them how much we have to give.

over a year ago

"whew I thought that was the running total of McAlpines compo"

I bet there's a few Twits sweating like a blind lesbian in a fish shop about how much they might have to cough up.

over a year ago

"...I think we run a dangerous risk of thinking it won't ever happen again. All it would take is a number of smaller member states to feel that the bigger ones (ie Germany) are pushing their weight around a little too much a little too often...

...I'm never fully trusting that a treaty will be honoured for the simple reason that we've had treaties torn up and replaced before. "

Post new Message to Thread