Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mobility scooters grrrrrrrrr !!!!!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My rant for today is the elderly that miss use mobility scooters, they pay no tax or insurance but still insist on driving on roads.

This morning i had a run in with an elderly gent (Well not so much of a gent in my eye) he was coming down a one-way street the wrong way, refused to budge and the cantankerousness old fool made ME reverse on a busy road, When i got out of the car to have a go and told him that this was the second time that i had seen him do this, this week alone, he just looked at me with contempt as if i was the one in the wrong.....

I think that they should pay to use the roads if they insist on driving on them.

What you think Fabber's???.......

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i saw a guy on one going round the M6 J9 motor way roundabout the wrong way the other day, the police had to come out and stop all the traffic to get him off, the motor way slip roads was back right up while they cleared him off

By *ilandlarryCouple
over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

Some of them need to be taught some manners. I have witnessed many travelling at a snail's pace along a busy road, or really going for it along a busy footpath.

They have no concerns for any other pedestrian, or for their or driver's safety when they go on the road. They should have to pass a test to own one!!

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

its a minefield of scooters where i live,an fri an sat is best avoided you cant drive down the high st without some elderly person walking straight out in front of you,suicide alley we call it

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Some of them need to be taught some manners. I have witnessed many travelling at a snail's pace along a busy road, or really going for it along a busy footpath.

They have no concerns for any other pedestrian, or for their or driver's safety when they go on the road. They should have to pass a test to own one!!"

I agree with this some of then have scooter rage!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

my mum uses a mobility scooter with the utmost of respect and consideration for pedestrians and never goes on the road unless she's crossibg it. I have to say though that she is in the minority I coudl give you numerous examples of elderly, poorly sighted people with very slow reactions blythly coming at me on the wrong side of a very busy road expecting me to get out of their way. One chap round here even has a trailer fixed to his and uses main roads with his dog sat on his lap. It is high time that their use was regulated or that the police at least stepped in and gave a little advice to the ones that are causing other road users and pedestrians a lot of problems and putting themesleves and others in danger.

There I feel better now

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I've got the offer of a mobility scooter from a friend once I've had my hip done...tempted now to take her up on it and go tearing up and down the main street of Arse End, weaving in and out of the horseless carriages and stagecoaches, yelling abuse at the drivers...that could make my Christmas complete

over a year ago

"My rant for today is the elderly that miss use mobility scooters, they pay no tax or insurance but still insist on driving on roads.

This morning i had a run in with an elderly gent (Well not so much of a gent in my eye) he was coming down a one-way street the wrong way, refused to budge and the cantankerousness old fool made ME reverse on a busy road, When i got out of the car to have a go and told him that this was the second time that i had seen him do this, this week alone, he just looked at me with contempt as if i was the one in the wrong.....

I think that they should pay to use the roads if they insist on driving on them.

What you think Fabber's???....... "

had this happen to us only i refused to move and when he started ranting and cursing he ended up with a ticket of the trafic warden because he shouldnt have been on the road in the first place never mind going the wrong way im disabled and we get a bad press because of idiots like that

over a year ago

There's one near me that's got a trailer !

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

two near me who take their dogs out with them,God help em if the dog sees a cat andd takes off

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"I've got the offer of a mobility scooter from a friend once I've had my hip done...tempted now to take her up on it and go tearing up and down the main street of Arse End, weaving in and out of the horseless carriages and stagecoaches, yelling abuse at the drivers...that could make my Christmas complete "

They only work on Tarmac Caz

over a year ago

It's OK they are plastic and fibreglass, if you catch them at the right angle you can completely demolish them without so much as a scratch on your car

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

They are on my 'list' along with cyclists without proper lights and dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"There's one near me that's got a trailer !"

Blimey if it's the same guy his battery life must be massive to travel all that way

I think mobility scooters are a good thing, my mum broke her back a few years ago and without it wouldn't be able to go out independently but like all good things it's how they're used that's the key.

over a year ago

"My rant for today is the elderly that misuse mobility scooters, they pay no tax or insurance but still insist on driving on roads.

This morning i had a run in with an elderly gent (Well not so much of a gent in my eye) he was coming down a one-way street the wrong way, refused to budge and the cantankerous old fool made ME reverse on a busy road, When i got out of the car to have a go and told him that this was the second time that i had seen him do this, this week alone, he just looked at me with contempt as if i was the one in the wrong.....

What you think Fabber's???....... had this happen to us only i refused to move and when he started ranting and cursing he ended up with a ticket of the trafic warden because he shouldnt have been on the road in the first place never mind going the wrong way im disabled and we get a bad press because of idiots like that"

Indeed. A lot of scooter users conveniently forget they are NOT supposed to be driven in the road - including the one who overtook me in the middle of the road coming into town one day.... admittedly, I wasn't doing my usual Ayrton Senna impression, but I nearly hit the car in front as I was so surprised...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"They are on my 'list' along with cyclists without proper lights and dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs..."

lol. I have a "thing" about people who drive with a hat on, now we are moving into the realms of the illogical I know

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

"I've got the offer of a mobility scooter from a friend once I've had my hip done...tempted now to take her up on it and go tearing up and down the main street of Arse End, weaving in and out of the horseless carriages and stagecoaches, yelling abuse at the drivers...that could make my Christmas complete

They only work on Tarmac Caz"

What is this "tarmac" of which you speak Ryan? I was thinking the cobbles may add a little je ne sais quoi to my journey

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

do they have a basket to put their squirrel at the front?

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"I've got the offer of a mobility scooter from a friend once I've had my hip done...tempted now to take her up on it and go tearing up and down the main street of Arse End, weaving in and out of the horseless carriages and stagecoaches, yelling abuse at the drivers...that could make my Christmas complete

What is this "tarmac" of which you speak Ryan? I was thinking the cobbles may add a little je ne sais quoi to my journey"

Speak to Artfuldogger he is currently customising. He may be able to sort a built in seat dildo for you

over a year ago

What is this "tarmac" of which you speak Ryan? I was thinking the cobbles may add a little je ne sais quoi to my journey

Speak to Artfuldogger he is currently customising. He may be able to sort a built in seat dildo for you"

Stop ya slipping off the seat when you brake too

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Speak to Artfuldogger he is currently customising. He may be able to sort a built in seat dildo for you

"

Ooooh, Pimp My Crip Chariot...I'm off to propose a new series to Men and Motors

over a year ago

There a couple around here that have their children sit on them, and i honestly think that they have them because they are a little on the large side to walk.

I do know some very genuine people that are very POLITE esp when using the pavements and in shops.

But i still think they should pay to use them. If only a small amount per year and maybe cyclists also

over a year ago

Ooooh, Pimp My Crip Chariot...I'm off to propose a new series to Men and Motors "

over a year ago

" He may be able to sort a built in seat dildo for you"

That's not a dildo, it's a locating lug

over a year ago

Wagon driver view........nearly killed some old dear last week in one off these, I'm stopped at lights to turn left she comes up the cycle lane on my blind side , she's going striaght on , I have enough trouble seeing cars on my inside never mind something that's the size of a kiddie peddle car!

She got lucky I caught a glimpse of her in my door mirror just as I was about to turn. Did I blow my air horns , nope I just sat there shaking my head wondering how the hell she got to be so old as she trundled across the crossing

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"My rant for today is the elderly that miss use mobility scooters

What you think Fabber's???....... "

Madge off Benidorm

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

" He may be able to sort a built in seat dildo for you

That's not a dildo, it's a locating lug "

Pmsl

It could be made an inflatable one, so after you mounted up it would lock in place. You could then share it's use amongst the Darby & Joan club

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

Go to Paignton, I think it's like some kind of Lourdes, given the amount of psychos on disabled scooters down there !

By *ricky_DickyMan
over a year ago

Mirfield

Got one or two in my town, most of them have no consideration of either pedestrians or motorists. It's not just granny chariots though there is a disabled guy in town who insist on using his electric wheel chair on the roads with his dog trotting along side.

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

"There a couple around here that have their children sit on them, and i honestly think that they have them because they are a little on the large side to walk.

I do know some very genuine people that are very POLITE esp when using the pavements and in shops.

But i still think they should pay to use them. If only a small amount per year and maybe cyclists also "

how do you work that one out? Both are non-emitting vehicles so Band A VED. Both users of mobility scooters and cyclists pay for the highways via Council Tax.

over a year ago

There should be a mandatory test for the chariots of doom.

You have to have a test for motorbikes and cars, so why not the contraptions that park outside whetherspoons all day, then get driven by pissed up clueless fuckwits!?

over a year ago

Same here!

over a year ago

I do think perhaps there should be some sort of test users when they buy one, for theirs and everyone elses safety. Specialy after reading above about the cycle lane, even the ones that are legal on the roads are not allowed in the cycling lanes and above is agood example of why not.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"There should be a mandatory test for the chariots of doom.

You have to have a test for motorbikes and cars, so why not the contraptions that park outside whetherspoons all day, then get driven by pissed up clueless fuckwits!? "

It might be an idea to extend that to cyclists.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

I know it's Thursday but pensioner bashing is a bit extreme

over a year ago

From what I remember its a bit of a minefield for coppers. They are a bit like those mini motos legally, in that they are not technically allowed on the pavements or roads. And given peoples and media's glee whenever the police fuck up, who'd want to be the copper that gives 95 year old war veteran Albert a ticket and be villified for it?

They are a menace, more so than bikes. They are usually utterly silent so the first you know about it as a pedestrian is when you're rammed in the heels. As a motorist its when you hear the crunch. I've seen them go the wrong way down one way streets. On the wrong side of the road, in the middle of the road, knock people over. They are beneficial of course, but this needs to be weighted with the fact that the majority are driven by people who never passed a driving test.

By *nfieldishCouple
over a year ago

Enfield

Take a deep breath.... Laugh it off.....I make a point of not letting other drivers get to me......I like how they drive in sir Lanka and goa....everyone cuts each other up...plenty of hooting but no real anger....

over a year ago

There great for racing round tesco at 2am when your bored in work

We have a set route around the store, it's like our own mini f1 lol

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

You have to have a test for motorbikes and cars, so why not the contraptions that park outside whetherspoons all day, then get driven by pissed up clueless fuckwits!?

It might be an idea to extend that to cyclists."

why?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

It might be an idea to extend that to cyclists. why? "

'Cos some, not all, are suicidally crazy.

They delight in taking on a couple of tons of steel then wonder why they end up with an Overfinch badge up their arse.

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

It might be an idea to extend that to cyclists. why?

'Cos some, not all, are suicidally crazy.

They delight in taking on a couple of tons of steel then wonder why they end up with an Overfinch badge up their arse."

Examples?

In the latest study just under 75% of cycle-related road traffic collisions the motorist was found to be at fault.

All motorists are supposedly licenced, yet how many are dangerous to other road users?

All by the point, because cyclists have an absolute right to use the public highways*

* With the exception of motorways.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

"They are on my 'list' along with cyclists without proper lights and dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs...

lol. I have a "thing" about people who drive with a hat on, now we are moving into the realms of the illogical I know "

I know exactly what you mean he's behind the wheel wearing a trilby hat but the woman is really driving

over a year ago

Nicely timed post......

This morning I nearly got down down on that pavement outside my flat by some arrogant twit, who muttered obscenities as I had the affrontdry to be walking along, not even in his way.... As he skimmed past there was a pinging sound as his lap strap dragged along the floor behind him....

I was just about to call out to him, when the buckle caught in a fence railing, tightened, and the buggy crashed into the wall.....

Divine Justice does exist....

I did go and make sure he was ok... And I also waited till he was long gone before having a mahoosive tens moment....

over a year ago

* Tena moment....

By *eakcoupleCouple
over a year ago

peak district

Never mind mobilty scooters - how is it that caravans don't attract massive road tax? They're a far worse pest!

Post new Message to Thread