Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Approaching Motorway Roadworks

Jump to newest

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

So, you're cruising nicely down the motorway, then see signs informing of approaching roadworks.

As you a getting closer, signs are telling you that three lanes will become one to create a single running lane.

Vehicles start to move over creating a long queue of stop/start traffic in the outside lane.

While waiting, you start seeing other vehicles driving down the two empty carriageways down to the front to join traffic just before the lanes join.

Damned frustrating sitting in a long line of traffic for those cheeky, selfish bastards to jump the queue.

Some drivers try to pull into their path to block them from getting past and getting to the front.

How do you feel when you see this?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"So, you're cruising nicely down the motorway, then see signs informing of approaching roadworks.

As you a getting closer, signs are telling you that three lanes will become one to create a single running lane.

Vehicles start to move over creating a long queue of stop/start traffic in the outside lane.

While waiting, you start seeing other vehicles driving down the two empty carriageways down to the front to join traffic just before the lanes join.

Damned frustrating sitting in a long line of traffic for those cheeky, selfish bastards to jump the queue.

Some drivers try to pull into their path to block them from getting past and getting to the front.

How do you feel when you see this?"

Yes it’s very annoying but we don’t know what their journey entails ?

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Best to leave people to make their choice. I actually saw a car doing the blocking and another driver getting out behind them and having an argument with them which became physical.

over a year ago

Shit like that used to make me rage. But I realised that i was arriving at destinations frustrated and angry.

Now I just let it slide. I can’t control others actions so I let ‘em get on with it.

My driving experience is much more pleasant when I don’t give a shit what others do.

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

So you're annoyed that people are using all available lanes of a road. And are then further frustrated by these people "pulling in" which presumably means you aren't using the zipper method for traffic merging and are now causing traffic to build up further by halting one lane. Is that about right?

LvM

By *ndauntedMan
over a year ago

benalmadena

It makes more sense to use all 3 lanes for as long as possible, otherwise you end up with a huge queue in one lane that stretches back further…………. I’m a sheep though, so sit and watch as the cars roll by.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

"Best to leave people to make their choice. I actually saw a car doing the blocking and another driver getting out behind them and having an argument with them which became physical."

Cause of most accidents and road rage on motorways.. feckin annoyed me.

over a year ago

I get as close as possible and filter in.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

"I get as close as possible and filter in."

Then some prick tries to push you out of lane to retake his space you stole, even to the point of squeezing past against central reservation..

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

I saw a dickhead try and force his way in at the last minute on the M6 and everyone blocked him off and he ended up taking about 30 cones out and stopping within the road works! Funny as fuck !

By *RANDMRSJAECouple
over a year ago

chester

If you don’t make eye contact with the other drivers then they don’t exist !!

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

You're supposed to use all lanes and merge at the latest point.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

"I saw a dickhead try and force his way in at the last minute on the M6 and everyone blocked him off and he ended up taking about 30 cones out and stopping within the road works! Funny as fuck ! "

Why was it funny?

What had he done wrong to damage his car?

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"I saw a dickhead try and force his way in at the last minute on the M6 and everyone blocked him off and he ended up taking about 30 cones out and stopping within the road works! Funny as fuck !

Why was it funny?

What had he done wrong to damage his car?"

Nothing, he was using the zipper merge method which is the intelligent way to merge.

By *rivervaderMan
over a year ago

bolton

"I saw a dickhead try and force his way in at the last minute on the M6 and everyone blocked him off and he ended up taking about 30 cones out and stopping within the road works! Funny as fuck !

Why was it funny?

Nothing, he was using the zipper merge method which is the intelligent way to merge.

"

At last somebody who knows the rules of the road

By *umalotagainMan
over a year ago

a town called malice

Why was it funny?

At last somebody who knows the rules of the road"

Exactly, although personally I carry a glock 17 in the glove box which normally settles any arguments

Joking ( before someone has me arrested)

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Why was it funny?

At last somebody who knows the rules of the road"

This 100000%

The number of times I've has some twat in an artic or car pull out and sit overlapping both lanes on a dual carriageway when approaching a 'merge in turn' reduction to one lane, playing the role of 'road controller'.....

I swear the next time they do it I'll just rear end them and retire on the proceeds of a healthy insurance claim.

Queue if you want to queue. We are British after all and seem to love doing that.

But if a lane is clear use it. It's what it's there for after all.

A

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Personally I merge early because I'm an anxious dickhead who doesn't want to be berated by other motorists but when there's slow moving traffic, the people using all available lanes until the merge point are actually doing the tight thing and if people merged in turn properly, it would actually ease the congestion instead of queuing for miles.

By *abasaurus RexMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"So, you're cruising nicely down the motorway, then see signs informing of approaching roadworks.

Get over yourselves! The correct procedure is to use all lanes and merge/zipper as they close. The really selfish behaviour is those that queue unnecessarily and cause miles of tail backs from the point at which traffic is intended to merge.

If you were meant to sit in a single lane, 3 miles back from the road works, they’d close the lanes earlier.

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Surely it's better to merge at the point you need to merge rather than half a mile before.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Get over yourselves! The correct procedure is to use all lanes and merge/zipper as they close. The really selfish behaviour is those that queue unnecessarily and cause miles of tail backs from the point at which traffic is intended to merge.

If you were meant to sit in a single lane, 3 miles back from the road works, they’d close the lanes earlier. "

You are correct and it's surprising how many road users have such poor knowledge of the highway code. However, I merge early because I'm a young woman in a small car trying to avoid the agression of middle aged men in 4x4s. I've almost being rammed just at the mersey tunnel for passing the queues due to having a fast tag and there's a fast tag only lane but someone thought I was queue jumping.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

"I saw a dickhead try and force his way in at the last minute on the M6 and everyone blocked him off and he ended up taking about 30 cones out and stopping within the road works! Funny as fuck ! "

That poor 'dick head' was probably on the receiving end of a real dickhead's poor driving and arrogance, who was actually in the wrong himself.

Rule 134 of the Highway Code. Use ALL AVAILABLE SPACE IN ALL AVAILABLE LANES, that doesn't mean immediately jump into lane, causing a tailback.

NO VEHICLE has any priority over another, even if you think someone is pushing in front in 'your' lane, you should submit and allow the manoeuvre.

More education and prosecutions as this was introduced decades ago, yet the good old Brits who love a queue, jump into line and act aggressively towards those perceived as queue jumping.

Having had a 'dickhead' in airport taxi from Cockermouth try and run me off the M60 on Tuesday night, after shouting abuse at me for 'pushing' into his lane.

70% of drivers DO NOT know or understand this Rule and doing so would stop the stop-start, aggressive behaviour and accidents on motorways.

Zip Merging is how we should be driving, so next time, join the others, take up all the lanes - be courteous and take it in turn to merge and we'll all be safer and less stressed and believe it or not, get home quicker!!

Next time your sat in a queue and see a "dick head" queue jumping, take a loo in the mirror as the actual "dick head" might just be yourself. That also doesn't mean jumping in and out of the fastest moving lane.

Watch and learn:

https://youtu.be/8Io2Y5T8ARQ

If we do, we'd all get home quicker and safer.

over a year ago

Lincoln

"I've almost being rammed just at the mersey tunnel for passing the queues due to having a fast tag and there's a fast tag only lane but someone thought I was queue jumping. "

Small peen energy...

LvM

over a year ago

You’re meant to merge as late as possible, and use all the lanes, but most don’t because then people won’t let them in.

I didn’t know it was called the zipper method until my 15 year old enlightened me yesterday.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

In the old days - we had "this is a government information film" to educate us.

Today, nothing.

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

Zip merging.

It's a thing.

Although when I see cars driving at warp factor 9 with 50 yards till the cones I do tend to think "Bell end".

Winston

By *onkeynutWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

I’m one of these people that don’t join the huge queue and I merge as late as possible and if the drivers in the queue won’t let me merge when I need to then I will force my way in. I have balls of steel and they always give way in the end

over a year ago

Use all the lanes, merge and allow to merge.

Avoid using your brakes and stay at a low speed. This will allow traffic to keep moving.

As for vehicles blocking lanes, I’ve been close to fighting with HGV drivers over this

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

No, the vehicle should pull back and leave the space for them to merge.

He's not the bellend, it's the one refusing to allow the merge.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The lorries often work together to block the queue jumpers but how often do these lanes merge and cones go on for miles and not a workman in sight

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Use all the lanes, merge and allow to merge.

Avoid using your brakes and stay at a low speed. This will allow traffic to keep moving.

As for vehicles blocking lanes, I’ve been close to fighting with HGV drivers over this"

Funnily enough my experience has been the opposite. I find lorry drivers tend to be the first to let you in.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

Yep road warriors everywhere trying to police the sanctity of the 5 mile single lane queue. The trouble is that not the highway code. That's not people being aware of each other and zippering close to the point of obstruction with courteous regard for everyone.

That this mentality is not so bad on a long stretch of motorway clear of any junctions. However where you have this huge single lane queue near say a roundabout or junction can cause other blockages and obstructions futher back, including to other roads that are not part of the road works. However if people use both lanes properly and zippered in then the volume of traffic could be contained on all lanes reducing the length of the queue and the knock on effect of such a long queue across roundabouts and other junctions.

And at the end of the day everyone maybe get into a single lane queue miles back and that car that jumps 30 or so cars may have trouble getting a space in at the end. But they will still get in and have jumped 28 or so cars ahead and be perfectly in keeping with the highway code. You will still be miles behind, frustrated with no rightful reason. If only we could all do it properly? Which I get we can't when everyones mentality it to form a forever single lane queue. But that's no point being arsey with the driver who's taken advantage of all lanes just because you've chosen to to join the single lane fuck fest 5 miles back.

By *ausage1970Man
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

I wonder what car makes are the main culprits?

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"In the old days - we had "this is a government information film" to educate us.

Today, nothing."

Yup exactly this, I remember the days when they were called public information adverts

Demonstrating just how to merge, join motorways ect.

People only ever read the Highway Code just to pass the test and then nothing.

Maybe if they brought back such ads it might sink in a bit

By *abasaurus RexMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

If you were meant to sit in a single lane, 3 miles back from the road works, they’d close the lanes earlier.

You are correct and it's surprising how many road users have such poor knowledge of the highway code. However, I merge early because I'm a young woman in a small car trying to avoid the agression of middle aged men in 4x4s. I've almost being rammed just at the mersey tunnel for passing the queues due to having a fast tag and there's a fast tag only lane but someone thought I was queue jumping. "

I totally get why you’d merge earlier based on experiences and in fact don’t really have an issue with those who are less confident for whatever reason merging earlier.

It’s the crusaders who block lanes or refuse to merge/zipper properly at the merging point that cause issues (and break the Highway Code).

over a year ago

"I get as close as possible and filter in.

Then some prick tries to push you out of lane to retake his space you stole, even to the point of squeezing past against central reservation.."

I just push my nose in and smile at them seething behind.

It's easy to spot the knobs. Just avoid them and filter in elsewhere.

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

That poor 'dick head' was probably on the receiving end of a real dickhead's poor driving and arrogance, who was actually in the wrong himself.

Rule 134 of the Highway Code. Use ALL AVAILABLE SPACE IN ALL AVAILABLE LANES, that doesn't mean immediately jump into lane, causing a tailback.

NO VEHICLE has any priority over another, even if you think someone is pushing in front in 'your' lane, you should submit and allow the manoeuvre.

More education and prosecutions as this was introduced decades ago, yet the good old Brits who love a queue, jump into line and act aggressively towards those perceived as queue jumping.

Having had a 'dickhead' in airport taxi from Cockermouth try and run me off the M60 on Tuesday night, after shouting abuse at me for 'pushing' into his lane.

70% of drivers DO NOT know or understand this Rule and doing so would stop the stop-start, aggressive behaviour and accidents on motorways.

Zip Merging is how we should be driving, so next time, join the others, take up all the lanes - be courteous and take it in turn to merge and we'll all be safer and less stressed and believe it or not, get home quicker!!

Next time your sat in a queue and see a "dick head" queue jumping, take a loo in the mirror as the actual "dick head" might just be yourself. That also doesn't mean jumping in and out of the fastest moving lane.

Watch and learn:

https://youtu.be/8Io2Y5T8ARQ

If we do, we'd all get home quicker and safer."

This dickhead was still doing about 80mph hence why he hit all of the cones ! Please don't defend this type of driver !!

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

Well, if there were vehicles in the lane as there should have been, then he wouldn't be able to drive at such high speed.

The actions of other oblivious dickhead's allowed it to happen.

over a year ago

Lincoln

"In the old days - we had "this is a government information film" to educate us.

Today, nothing.

Yup exactly this, I remember the days when they were called public information adverts

Demonstrating just how to merge, join motorways ect.

People only ever read the Highway Code just to pass the test and then nothing.

Maybe if they brought back such ads it might sink in a bit "

To be fair I've seen ads from the Highways Agency on social media because apparently people don't understand what a red cross over a motorway lane means So it does still happen.

LvM

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I feel fine. I had the choice of joining the queue or going down the clear lanes.

We are supposed to filter one from the right one from the left in any case. So the people sitting in the queue have NO MORAL or legal high ground.

Pick your lane. Think of others. Be courteous at all times and PREVENT accidents and rage.

So many think they have been wronged if someone gets in in front of them.... I know who I think the dick is.

over a year ago

its called filtering and thats what your supposed to do filter all the way to the end and one after other go in line

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Today, nothing."

Ever tried the internet ?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Watch

The Big Cases - The Lorry Driver on BBC i player.

24 mins to change your driving attitude for good.

Not about zipping..... but maybe about keeping the fragility of life and the importance of good driving firmly in your mind.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

Today, nothing.

Ever tried the internet ? "

When was the last time you watched a driving educational film on the Internet?

Probably the same as many, rarely or never.

over a year ago

"So you're annoyed that people are using all available lanes of a road. And are then further frustrated by these people "pulling in" which presumably means you aren't using the zipper method for traffic merging and are now causing traffic to build up further by halting one lane. Is that about right?

LvM"

I'm glad someone said that. It's called using the road properly and if everyone did it, it would work.

By *oo..Woman
over a year ago

Boo's World

If more people knew how to drive properly, less tension would happen when you get to said road closures like these.

And yes I do filter in towards the end and yes I also drive a BMW which seems to piss people off.

But, I also let people in too

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Today, nothing.

Ever tried the internet ?

When was the last time you watched a driving educational film on the Internet?

Probably the same as many, rarely or never."

This morning at 5.43 a.m.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

"Watch

The Big Cases - The Lorry Driver on BBC i player.

24 mins to change your driving attitude for good.

Not about zipping..... but maybe about keeping the fragility of life and the importance of good driving firmly in your mind. "

And on the day the police released the video, I was told to "fuck off" by two drivers with mobile phones in their hands after suggesting they put them down.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Mr Ruggers is a nope they aint getting in type of driver and I am a let them in and get irate drivers behind me beeping because I do.

Having said that, the ones who speed up the lane and break at the very last minute are annoying so I then turn into Mr ruggers

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

Mr Ruggers needs to watch the video I posted earlier.

Reason for the Mexican wave in the open lane is the arrogance of believing they are loosing out.

They'd be a lot less rear ending, in slow traffic, I drop back to around 30 car lengths and roll down with the traffic. By the time I'm getting to the bunch of "brakers", it's picking up speed.

Try it, you'll be surprised how leaving a decent space in front allows a steady no braking stream. In traffic, just drop back, mergers can merge, no last minute braking.

Unfortunately the light flashing tailgater behind doesn't realise he's not getting anywhere quicker and just burning his fuel and brakes.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

People can't even join a motorway properly, how on earth do you expect them to know how to drive once on it? The standard of driver training we have is awful. If I crashed a forklift in work and seriously injured someone the HSE would investigate. If they found I had an out of date licence - typically 3 or 5 years - they would be prosecuting my employers for not ensuring I had adequate training and they would win the case - me claiming 20 years of prior experience wouldn't cut it. I don't understand how in one sector of life the law clearly recognises that in order to operate a dangerous machine safely you need continuous re-training yet you can pass your driving test in 1973 and and be happily driving around now in a totally different driving environment with absolutely no re-training. Not only that, you don't even get allowed point a motorway until *after* you've passed your test.

Personally I'd like to see a system of restricted driving for the first year until you retest at an advanced level that includes motorway driving, if you don't achieve this within a year you start again. Then every 5 years you need to reapply. We could save £millions spent trying to make our roads idiot proof by getting rid of the idiots and save millions of man hours lost in motorway jams caused solely by people's inability to join the damn thing in a way that doesn't cause it to come to a grinding halt. More importantly, we could save lives. Being allowed control of over a tonne of steel traveling at lethal speeds isn't a right, it's a privilege that should only be granted to those who can demonstrate they're skilled enough to do so safely.

This rant reminds me, my RoSOPA is up soon.

Mr

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

if the usual sign which says merge in turn is adhered to, then it isn't usually a problem to be fair.

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

stockport

Very educational video but unfortunately a lot of drivers just see it as pushing in.

By *hristopherd999Man
over a year ago

Brentwood

"So you're annoyed that people are using all available lanes of a road. And are then further frustrated by these people "pulling in" which presumably means you aren't using the zipper method for traffic merging and are now causing traffic to build up further by halting one lane. Is that about right?

LvM"

I think most drivers don't know what the zipper method is!

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Mr Ruggers needs to watch the video I posted earlier.

Reason for the Mexican wave in the open lane is the arrogance of believing they are loosing out.

They'd be a lot less rear ending, in slow traffic, I drop back to around 30 car lengths and roll down with the traffic. By the time I'm getting to the bunch of "brakers", it's picking up speed.

Try it, you'll be surprised how leaving a decent space in front allows a steady no braking stream. In traffic, just drop back, mergers can merge, no last minute braking.

Unfortunately the light flashing tailgater behind doesn't realise he's not getting anywhere quicker and just burning his fuel and brakes."

You can try and demand what Mr Ruggers watches but he doesn't do well with people telling him what he "needs" to do.

The rest of your post has nothing to do with what I answered to be fair...however what I will say is,I hate braking so roll a lot well behind cars in slow traffic,until some sod fills the gap from another lane of course

By *batMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"Vehicles start to move over creating a long queue of stop/start traffic in the outside lane.

While waiting, you start seeing other vehicles driving down the two empty carriageways down to the front to join traffic just before the lanes join."

Why on earth do you start queueing before you get to the roadworks? You know that the proper way to do this is to all go up to the roadwork using ALL the lanes and then "zip" one after the other into the restriction?

When you see a red light in the distance, do you go up to the red light and stop or do you stop as soon as you see it?

"Damned frustrating sitting in a long line of traffic for those cheeky, selfish bastards to jump the queue.

Then stop doing it wrong! Then you might not be frustrated by the people doing it right.

If there are 5 miles of roadworks, why on earth do you make them into 10 miles of roadworks by starting the queue 5 miles back?

And those people who then deliberately block an empty lane? They are obstructing the highway and deserve to be prosecuted.

How do I feel when I see it? I despair of those fuckwits that have chosen a stupid way of making the roadworks worse and then aggressively include you in their poor choice.

I wish the government still did those public information films and explain to the dimwits starting the early queue that they are making things worse not better. These are the cheeky selfish bastards, although they think they are some knight of the road, putting things right for the masses.

Right, now I'm off to read the rest of the thread and see what others have to say!

Gbat

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

If someone tries to police the queue, I'm stubborn enough to disappoint them.

If they won't leave space to merge, then I'll going front of the car in front of them, which they can't prevent.

There have been a couple of times when someone has tried to straddle two lanes too aggressively, and left enough of the inside lane free . They were not happy when they realised they now needed me to let THEM merge

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I learned from an Advanced Driving Instructor ( on my advanced driving course ) to say ..........

Welcome to my gap.

Warning: Never use that phrase in here.

over a year ago

If everyone driving just followed the zipper method and allowed one then went allowed one went etc there would be less traffic for everyone. Problem is people are too selfish to do that. And others are too impatient. As with most of life’s annoyances if people were just considerate it wouldn’t be a problem

over a year ago

no different to you OP but they are not doing anything wrong

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I learned from an Advanced Driving Instructor ( on my advanced driving course ) to say ..........

Welcome to my gap.

Warning: Never use that phrase in here."

By *ickeyblueeyes7Man
over a year ago

newport

"

I saw a dickhead try and force his way in at the last minute on the M6 and everyone blocked him off and he ended up taking about 30 cones out and stopping within the road works! Funny as fuck !

Why was it funny?

At last somebody who knows the rules of the road

This 100000%

The number of times I've has some twat in an artic or car pull out and sit overlapping both lanes on a dual carriageway when approaching a 'merge in turn' reduction to one lane, playing the role of 'road controller'.....

I swear the next time they do it I'll just rear end them and retire on the proceeds of a healthy insurance claim.

Queue if you want to queue. We are British after all and seem to love doing that.

But if a lane is clear use it. It's what it's there for after all.

A"

How would you be able to retire on a healthy insurance claim as you rear ended them you would be in the wrong and they would be claiming off of you

By *batMan
over a year ago

" How would you be able to retire on a healthy insurance claim as you rear ended them you would be in the wrong and they would be claiming off of you "

Hitting the back of someone isn’t always the fault of the second car.

Imagine you are travelling down the road at 60mph and can easily stop in the distance you can see to be clear.

Then a car pulls into your lane to block you, and puts its brakes on.

You can no longer stop in the distance you can see to be clear and in fact despite your best efforts, hit the back of the car that deliberately blocked your path.

That’s not your fault and you’ve got a good claim even though you rear ended the “bad” car.

Gbat

over a year ago

" How would you be able to retire on a healthy insurance claim as you rear ended them you would be in the wrong and they would be claiming off of you

Imagine you are travelling down the road at 60mph and can easily stop in the distance you can see to be clear.

You can no longer stop in the distance you can see to be clear and in fact despite your best efforts, hit the back of the car that deliberately blocked your path.

That’s not your fault and you’ve got a good claim even though you rear ended the “bad” car.

Gbat

"

That claim is almost always going to go down as a 50/50 unless there’s video evidence or the damage on the car that pulled out clearly shows that changed lanes late. The majority aren’t settled as non-fault

over a year ago

I recently had an altercation with a Tesla

Driver!!

Driving along a country road

He decided to over take me

No problem normally

But it was as we approached a blind bend!!!

He didn’t like my obvious reaction vv!!

And stopped in the road

After exchanging pleasantries

He backed off

And His answer was

I have over 200 horse power in there???

Yes I said you might have

But you have half a brain driving it !!!!

And it’s a blind bend!!!

He soon got back in the car!!!

And as he drove down the road

The next thing that came around the corner was a hay baler !!!

Over hanging on his side of the road!!!

Nasty accident waiting to happen???

Now I’m referring to them as Tossler drivers

By *batMan
over a year ago

" How would you be able to retire on a healthy insurance claim as you rear ended them you would be in the wrong and they would be claiming off of you.

That claim is almost always going to go down as a 50/50 unless there’s video evidence or the damage on the car that pulled out clearly shows that changed lanes late. The majority aren’t settled as non-fault "

I’ve left in the question that I actually answered, in which the poster believed a rear shunt was going to be the fault of the second car.

Your odds of 50/50 are waaaay better than his thoughts of 100% fault.

My scenario would be 100% the other driver’s fault wouldn’t it?

Then the second bit of the quote from yourself. Whilst I didn’t say it would be a successful claim, it certainly would be with CCTV or dash cam footage. There’s a lot of that about nowadays.

I’ve got a screen mounted satnav which automatically records the view ahead as you go along. That, with all the relevant speed data from the satnav, would be good support for a claim.

But it’s all hypothetical, so I don’t mind if you don’t agree.

Cheers,

Gbat

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

LvM

I think most drivers don't know what the zipper method is!"

They don't, I'll hold my hands up to being pissed in the past as other go past in empty inside lanes jumping my queue.

But it was explained to me that it isn't them in the wrong, it was me and since changed.

As said here, I passed my test in '87 and same as many, there are no refresher courses, so I either read the updated Highway Code or be stubborn and shitty with others making wrong assumptions.

Many changes occur in the HC over the years but only the ones that make the media get known.

Ashley does a lot of good videos and worth a couple of hours watching.

By *batMan
over a year ago

"But it was explained to me that it isn't them in the wrong, it was me and since changed."

Hi Mr FunBoy, I'm a little bit confused here. Are you saying that this post has changed your mind during the last 8 hours or did you previously change your mind, prior to posting?

Cheers,

Gbat

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

" How would you be able to retire on a healthy insurance claim as you rear ended them you would be in the wrong and they would be claiming off of you

Gbat

That claim is almost always going to go down as a 50/50 unless there’s video evidence or the damage on the car that pulled out clearly shows that changed lanes late. The majority aren’t settled as non-fault "

Nope. I have a dash cam on at all times.

It happened to an old work colleague and he ended up off work for 12 months with a spinal fracture.

He got full paid leave from work and a six figure insurance payout.

The other driver got a four year ban, a hefty fine and a suspended prison sentence.

If some chunt pulls out for no reason without indicating and you end up rear ending them because of their action then there's fuck all chance of it being determined as a 50/50 claim.

If people don't currently have a dashcam it's the best £70 odd quid you'll ever spend.

A

over a year ago

"You're supposed to use all lanes and merge at the latest point.

"

Correct.

It’s meant to be a zipper effect.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

Same also applies with stopping in the middle if the road without warning regardless of you hitting them.

That's why it's dangerous and risky to literally stop from speed, to let a car out of a side road, if without warning.

After being rear ended in my own twice in 3 days in icy weather due to others tailgating me and unable to stop.

I was in a brand new 50 miles insurance car after being where I then rear ended that into another brand new mobility car with 6 miles on its clock.

The guy pulled out from petrol station in front of me then stopped dead. Luckily, in front of garage attendant, he said he'd never driven an automatic until that day and went to press the clutch down.

Was a very expensive week, 3 cars written off, two brand new ones with severe front and rear damage.

My neck, ribs and back were sore for months and not one was put against me.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

On the bike, what is roadworks.

I stay in the coned off lane, until I have to join the one lane. Then slid into a gap that is left by the cars.

By *erry bull1Man
over a year ago

doncaster

As a hgv driver I encounter these situations daily and think what a selfish nation of drivers we are

over a year ago

The correct thing to do is fill both lanes right to the point the lanes merge down then filter into the remaining lane. Having one long line of traffic with an empty lane is idiotic and just holding up traffic further back. The only selfish people are those who move to block or refuse to give way to the right and allow cars to filter in.

over a year ago

I can't be bothered reading all the replies but hopefully someone before me has already stated that this is actually the preferred and perfectly legal way to do this. Anyone who doesn't do this is a bit of a trumpet

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Isn't that how you're supposed to use the lanes?

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Watch a guy on YouTube called Ashley Neal a driving instructor. He says it’s better to use both lanes than all sitting in one, as it helps the flow of traffic better.

My biggest gripe (as it happened today on my way to Liverpool) are car’s driving too close. Today it was a van trying to get into my back seat. Admittedly I just slow down to fucking annoy them and then get up to speed they generally get the hint.

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

"Watch a guy on YouTube called Ashley Neal a driving instructor. He says it’s better to use both lanes than all sitting in one, as it helps the flow of traffic better.

My biggest gripe (as it happened today on my way to Liverpool) are car’s driving too close. Today it was a van trying to get into my back seat. Admittedly I just slow down to fucking annoy them and then get up to speed they generally get the hint. "

Just dabbing the brakes works too.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

"Watch a guy on YouTube called Ashley Neal a driving instructor. He says it’s better to use both lanes than all sitting in one, as it helps the flow of traffic better.

My biggest gripe (as it happened today on my way to Liverpool) are car’s driving too close. Today it was a van trying to get into my back seat. Admittedly I just slow down to fucking annoy them and then get up to speed they generally get the hint. "

If you read the Highway Code, it does suggest lowering speed if being tailgated for safety, that's slow down, not a brake check..

over a year ago

" How would you be able to retire on a healthy insurance claim as you rear ended them you would be in the wrong and they would be claiming off of you.

That claim is almost always going to go down as a 50/50 unless there’s video evidence or the damage on the car that pulled out clearly shows that changed lanes late. The majority aren’t settled as non-fault

I’ve left in the question that I actually answered, in which the poster believed a rear shunt was going to be the fault of the second car.

Your odds of 50/50 are waaaay better than his thoughts of 100% fault.

My scenario would be 100% the other driver’s fault wouldn’t it?

Then the second bit of the quote from yourself. Whilst I didn’t say it would be a successful claim, it certainly would be with CCTV or dash cam footage. There’s a lot of that about nowadays.

I’ve got a screen mounted satnav which automatically records the view ahead as you go along. That, with all the relevant speed data from the satnav, would be good support for a claim.

But it’s all hypothetical, so I don’t mind if you don’t agree.

Cheers,

Gbat "

With dash cam evidence if the guy cut him off with no reasonable time to stop then you’d go for 100% non fault. The issue comes when it’s your word against there’s

Post new Message to Thread